PDA

View Full Version : A Question About the Ultimate Upgrade

Teflon Tom
July 2nd, 2017, 17:30
I was confused by some of the wording on the ultimate upgrade description and I thought I'd ask here.

With the ultimate upgrade it says I can host an unlimited number of unlicensed users. Does that mean I can buy it and sit down with a group of friends using the demo version and they will be able to participate in my game with all the functionality of a player (not a DM or creator)? I need to know before we decide to go in and upgrade my current license.

Thank you much.

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2017, 17:31
Welcome to the the forums.

Yes, the Ultimate license allows an unlimited number of free/demo users to join your game (you being the GM).

Teflon Tom
July 2nd, 2017, 17:33
Many, many thanks.

ll00ll00ll00ll
July 2nd, 2017, 17:40
Yes, that is how it works. They will not have to own a license in order to play, in fact, they just install the demo, then they will choose "join game" then enter your game details (IP address, etc.)

At that point they will have access to whatever you've shared to them from your library. When they create characters, they will exist on your computer, when they sign into subsequent sessions, they will first be greeted with a list of characters to pick from (that they have created).

Good Luck!

Trety
July 9th, 2017, 04:55
When they create characters, they will exist on your computer, when they sign into subsequent sessions, they will first be greeted with a list of characters to pick from (that they have created).

just bought ultimate recently during the Steam Summer Sale and came here to post this question! Glad it was already answered. I am pretty much going to use this locally in my house for my group and was hoping the characters would be saved with me. we are all relatively new to RPG's/DMing (Well, I'm not "new" but I am over 25 years out of date, so close enough)
Right now we are playing through the D&D starter box campaign, but if all goes well and they like it, I will be having them create new characters...
Now, question on this...
If they play a character in a different module with new characters, then we switch to another new one when the first is finished, can the characters still move over to the new mod? Any pitfalls I need to worry about?

LordEntrails
July 9th, 2017, 05:12
If they play a character in a different module with new characters, then we switch to another new one when the first is finished, can the characters still move over to the new mod? Any pitfalls I need to worry about?
It depends on how you manage your "Campaigns"

So in FG you can use multiple modules/adventures in one campaign. Or you could have separate campaigns for each adventure or for each set of characters.

Characters can be exported and imported between campaigns.

So, here's my recommendations;

If you have a fairly consistent set of players and you are going to play completely through each adventure before switching to another adventure or set of characters, then use one campaign and the players can switch our their active characters when you switch.

If you have a consistent set of characters for each adventure, and you may be switching between which adventure you are currently going to play (i.e. one week you are going to play Tomb of Horrors and next week Hommlet and then the week after back to ToH), then create separate campaigns for each of these adventures (i.e. basically one campaign for each adventuring party of characters).

If your use case is different, let us know and we can make suggestions.

Trety
July 9th, 2017, 20:06
While nothing is set in stone, I suspect that it will be this:
1) We pick a platform. Lets say D&D for now.
2) Players create characters for platform.
3) Those characters stay with the same players for the entire time we play regardless of what mod we choose.
4) For me a campaign is a series of adventures with an over arcing story line, so there is a possibility of multiple campaigns over time with different mods/adventures within, but staying with the same characters as they grow.
5) I would say that I would have the same players 95% of the time. We may get new players or temp players at times, but I suspect they will mostly use new characters.."Possibly" one of the other players characters if we are short.

LordEntrails
July 9th, 2017, 20:20
Here's a another things to be aware of; FG "Campaigns" must stay in the same ruleset (i.e. what you called platform).

So you should be good just creating one campaign for your play group (set of characters) and then just activate the adventure module you are playing at the time.

Even if you are not using a purchased or pre-created adventure module, it is still recommended that you create all your adventure related content in a campaign separate from your "play" campaign. You can read best practices and suggestion on how to do that here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

Trety
July 9th, 2017, 21:59
Thanks for the info.. Most likely going to stick with purchased/pre-created stuff for a while... Are there any pitfalls to adding mods/adventures to a campaign?
EX: I have Campaign called "My Campaign" PC's go through first adventure, say a level 1 adventure. They finish that and are now level 3. If I now want to add a level 3 adventure to the same campaign, will that work and bring over there existing characters?

Zacchaeus
July 9th, 2017, 22:42
Yes. A campaign in Fantasy Grounds can be one big story or several small stories or anything in between. So if you start up 'My Campaign' and create characters and then you open up the module Lost Mines of Phandelver and play through it you can then close Lost Mines and open up say Storm King's Thunder and play through that. The characters will still be there and persist through the whole campaign. You can add new characters or change then about all within the same campaign.