PDA

View Full Version : Trying to figure out some things about character creation amd leveling characters

Taigon
July 2nd, 2017, 14:50
I am on the 3.99 monthly subscription plan for now. Me and my roommate host an inhouse tabletop (PnP) session each week. We waste a lot of time each session just with character creation and leveling alone at the end or begining of each session, depending on how late it is when we stop. I am currently using FG and Rule Sets purchased thru FG to level and make changes to my character or simply and quickly access info about my character and quickly and easily access gear, spells, magic items that my character have without having to pass around books and interrupt the flow of the game . The dreaded waiting 5-15 minutes while people look something up.

I am wanting to switch over to all of us using FG and using tabletop as an aid to FG instead of the reverse. So I want to demonste how much simpler, quicker and easier it is to use FG as a leveling and character / equipment reference tool in hopes to get them all on board in using FG completely (but still in my in home sessions) plus we sometimes have to cancel a session now and then due to real world responsibilities (life happens) and this will allow us all to continue the gaming session with a player not able to be present.

What I am looking for are 5 of the FG communities top suggested videos for character creation and character leveling so I can better demonstrate the advantages of using FG and the need for using it. I have done some YouTune searches but really havent found anything that I feel is indepth enough to just cover the creation and leveling of characters. Duluxs' tutorials pop up a ;ot but still dont fint any that detail what I am looking for.

Rule sets are D&D5E and PathFinder

any help with this would be greatly appreciated...

Zacchaeus
July 2nd, 2017, 15:24
For what ruleset?

Taigon
July 2nd, 2017, 16:25
For what ruleset?

D&D5E and Pathfinder

Zacchaeus
July 2nd, 2017, 19:12
You'll find all of the 5e video and other guide information linked here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information).

Similarly the Pathfider links are here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20693-User-Guides-and-Videos).

I hesitate to recommend since what might work for me might not work for you. All of the videos have their merits. You don't say, however, what is missing for you so it's hard to tell what you are looking for exactly. If you have specific things that you are looking for then add to this thread so we can see if we can help you out.

Apart from videos there's also a lot of written material in the Wiki (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) and the user guide (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsUserManual.pdf).

Bidmaron
July 3rd, 2017, 04:25
As much as I love FG, I have to say that, unless they are all using the material that is available in FG at the moment, you might have a hard case trying to prove that leveling and character creation is much easier/faster on FG, at least with regard to Pathfinder. Unfortunately, for Pathfinder, lots of the material in the non-core books still is not available.

The primo setup, in my opinion, is HeroLab for character creation and leveling on any character not using core materials available in FG. Of course, you have to own the material in HeroLab, but if ease of use and sharing of purchased material is your concern, that would be the best (I screen share my screen with the other user[s], and we walk through the creation/leveling, as this is a legal way of not violating software licenses for those who do not own the materials themselves).

Once you are done with the character and leveling, export it and import it into FG (I think they are about to release the fix for the irritating spell import problem on the PF side soon into the live code, I hope, as this has been the only real snag in importing characters from HeroLab in the recent past).

PopinFRESH
July 3rd, 2017, 07:24
Also worth checking out the 5E Sample Campaign & Tutorial (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28150-New-5E-Sample-Campaign-Tutorial-Available) as it has most of the stuff from the Wiki regarding this built-in and is a great way to walk through the character creation portion.

Nylanfs
July 3rd, 2017, 12:07
As much as I love FG, I have to say that, unless they are all using the material that is available in FG at the moment, you might have a hard case trying to prove that leveling and character creation is much easier/faster on FG, at least with regard to Pathfinder. Unfortunately, for Pathfinder, lots of the material in the non-core books still is not available.

The primo setup, in my opinion, is HeroLab for character creation and leveling on any character not using core materials available in FG. Of course, you have to own the material in HeroLab, but if ease of use and sharing of purchased material is your concern, that would be the best (I screen share my screen with the other user[s], and we walk through the creation/leveling, as this is a legal way of not violating software licenses for those who do not own the materials themselves).

Once you are done with the character and leveling, export it and import it into FG (I think they are about to release the fix for the irritating spell import problem on the PF side soon into the live code, I hope, as this has been the only real snag in importing characters from HeroLab in the recent past).

<cough> PCGen (https://pcgen.org) </cough>

Mavrik6666
July 3rd, 2017, 13:24
Isnt this what DnD Beyond is suppose to be for - eventually

Bidmaron
July 4th, 2017, 04:51
Maybe but not for PF. Also, if you trust WotC when it comes to computer programs, well I have some swampland for sale.

4e was specifically created to make D&D more CRPG'ish and so their supposed on-line D&D would be easier to implement. The effort nearly bankrupted them, and they finally had to give up and abandon it. It was why Paizo was able to peel off and make Pathfinder because WotC reneged on their DUNGEON and DRAGON magazine contracts with Paizo, and Paizo emerged with the ability to adopt 3.5 to become PF (I wonder how much wheeling and dealing it really took). D&D Insider was supposed to take over the magazine market and obviate the old great E-Tools they had for 3rd edition.

Bottom line, don't trust them when it comes to software promises (of course Paizo had their own fiasco with PF online and GoblinWorks, but they were smart enough not to invest too much of their own treasure in the effort and do it mostly through licensing. I am sure it is just coincidence that FG got their license for PF within just a few short days of the final announcement of the death of whoever it was that bought GoblinWorks.)

My memory gets poor these days, so I hope I got all that mostly right....