PDA

View Full Version : Hosting a game behind a 4G router

feldrol
July 2nd, 2017, 13:01
Good day,
I do not have an issue, but wanted to explain what worked for me, so other people can solve their issue quicker than I did.

So,
being tired of having a slow adsl connection, and seeing that i probably could get a good 4G connection, I bought a 4G router (Archer MR-200) and an external antenna. I switched from a 5Mbit/0.5Mbit speed to a whoping 70Mbit/5Mbit with 45 ms of ping.
I am not exactly an expert, so sorry for approximations :
the issue was that mobile operator usually do not give you a dedicated ip. They give you a public ip, with no possibility to get port 1802 forwarded.

After some research and testing I found out that two vpn services allow you a way to use port 1802 on a dedicated ip:
Vyprvpn and purevpn. The first one doesn't block any port while the second allow you to redirect a handfull of port you can choose.

With Vyprvpn i can host a game if I disable their NAT firewall (I have windows firewall running on my computer).
With purevpn, after redirecting port 1802 on their interface, I could host a game. Yet the vpn conection was unstable and I had frequent disconnection.

So I settled for vyprvpn and have been hosting games for a month with no real issue.

Some years ago, when hosting at an hotel, I was using Hamachi but at time we had issues with one person that could never join with Hamachi.
This could be an alternative.

Hope that helps.