PDA

View Full Version : Statfinder

Jonbens
July 2nd, 2017, 04:57
Hi. Wanted to find out if anyone knows of plans to support Paizo's new game Starfinder, out next month.

Talen
July 2nd, 2017, 12:48
I recognize im guilty of squirrel like behavior and jumping to the next new shiny, but it will be fun to start playiing society games from the beginning. Itll be nice to have a fully supported ruleset if thats in the cards, but looks mamageable with existing ruleset if necessary.

Talyn
July 2nd, 2017, 19:51
SmiteWorks does have a license agreement for Starfinder, but no announcement as to when it will arrive other than it will not launch alongside the book release. I'd guesstimate sometime in 2018 would be a safe bet.

Full Bleed
July 3rd, 2017, 03:08
A while ago I implored Smiteworks to use Starfinder as a potential *in* to gain access to the Pathfinder IP (knowing that Paizo would be open to promoting their new game.) Turns out FG landed the Pathfinder ruleset first. However, unlike the current "retro" releases of Pathfinder material, Starfinder *could* be released in a far more timely manner... but with the huge backlog of Pathfinder books that are feeding a more proven/established market, I suspect that Starfinder support will be delayed.

Callum
July 3rd, 2017, 09:43
Will it be similar to the classic Accountants & Actuaries ruleset?

Full Bleed
July 3rd, 2017, 21:00
Will it be similar to the classic Accountants & Actuaries ruleset?

In many ways, all of Pathfinder is like a series of "Starfinder Unchained" books—optional rules and subsystems a GM can adapt or not as appropriate for their game and their own desire to tinker. Our first priority was always to make Starfinder the best game it could be on its own, with as many robust options as we could make fit without overcomplicating it. Yet its underlying game engine remains close enough to Pathfinder that anyone who wants to adopt or convert materials from those sources to Starfinder should be able to do so with a minimum of effort.

Here are a couple more detailed articles:

Five Differences Between Starfinder Rules and Pathfinder Rules (https://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ljv8?Five-Differences-Between-Starfinder-Rules-and)

New Paths Among the Stars: Compatibility Between Starfinder and Pathfinder (https://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ljva?New-Paths-Among-the-Stars-Compatibility)

Talen
July 12th, 2017, 19:36
So knowing a starfinder ruleset is not in the cards at launch, I think the existing pathfinder ruleset can work in a pinch. Is there a chance we could get a starfinder theme for the official ruleset at launch? I, and im sure at least some others, would jump at the chance to spend a few bucks to keep immersed in the theme.

Talyn
July 12th, 2017, 19:50
A theme will be included in the Starfinder package, which means, not til it arrives. I wouldn't put it past some of our intrepid community artists to make one though.