PDA

View Full Version : Making Campaigns and Modules?

Morfedel
January 25th, 2006, 20:26
I have been looking at FG trying to figure out how to make my own adventures. Do I have to code the adventures in xml? Or is there a way to add, for example, maps, and link them, within the GUI?

richvalle
January 25th, 2006, 23:00
Start up a campaign... I have one called 'create' that I use to make stuff.

Once started you create the story pages, maps, images NPC's ect you want for the adventure. Then you export it out. Ummm, /export name desc I think it is. So you could do /export /OrcFight /Adventure against a tribe of Orks Levels 5-7

That will create a .mod file (which is actually a .zip file with the extention changed).

Now you can send that adventure to others or clear out all your current items and create another one and export it.

Then when you are ready to use it, import it in and it will all be there.

rv

gurney9999
January 26th, 2006, 04:21
To expand a little bit on what rv wrote... you can draw maps/images within the program. If you have images or maps created outside of the program, you place them within your Fantasy Grounds/campaigns/'name of campaign'/images folder and then you'll see them within the gui's 'Images and Maps' dialogue box.

You 'link' to these images from 'story pages' by adding links using the gui. You can also add 'shortcut pins' to images to link back to story pages.

You can work within the db.xml file for the campaign as well to add info. Some users find that works faster than using the gui to put in large amts. of info.

and to correct something rv said (which doesn't happen too often... they are usually correcting me around here), the appropriate command to export the module he mentioned would be
/export OrcFight Adventure against a tribe of orcs levels 5-7
which would create a module file called OrcFight and when you open up your Modules dialogue box you would see the module titled "Adventure against a tribe of orcs levels 5-7"

richvalle
January 26th, 2006, 11:53
Opps, thanks Gurney! Thats what I get for posting real quick while at work.

rv

Morfedel
January 26th, 2006, 22:02
Actually, I knew about the export command from earlier threads. I was looking at doing things like adding maps, and adding links. I just couldnt figure out how to do it.

So, just putting the images in the image folder does it, eh? That woulda been handy to know. And I figured out the creation of links of images into the storybook through trial and error.

If you want to tell me how to create those shortcut pins that link from the image to the story, that would be nice. ;)

(you know, FG is suffering from a woeful lack of documentation. It would be really nice if they would work on that, perhaps after finishing 1.06 ? )

richvalle
January 27th, 2006, 14:05
Re documentation: I've seen the devs mention that it is in the works.

Making pins is great! Open up the a map, then open up the story window or personalities window (maybe even the images window, I've not tried that).

You'll want to right click on the map and turn on the pins under the layers section. Then drag and drop items from the other windows onto the map. Each one makes a red pin that has a mouse-over title that is the same as the title of the object dropped. Clicking on the pin will open up that item.

So for simple dungeon crawls you can drop in each room description into the room on the map. If any npc's/monsters are there you can drag and drop them as well. If done completely you'll be able to run the whole thing right from the map. I'm sure you can drop objects from the Items window as well so you could track treasure that way.

As an added bonus... the pins are movable. So... you can use them to keep track of invisible monsters! I used them last night to track Shadows that jumpped into walls. I'd remove the token from the map and use a pin to move it along the wall. The pins are not visible to the players so I can track the critter while they can't see them. Perfect!

rv

Morfedel
January 28th, 2006, 02:03
Oh that is sweet! haha! thanks for the info!

gurney9999
January 28th, 2006, 04:15
A presentation showing users how to create shortcut pins can be found at:

https://www.murderatavedonhill.com/visualfaqs.htm

Morfedel
February 23rd, 2006, 02:05
Re documentation: I've seen the devs mention that it is in the works.

Making pins is great! Open up the a map, then open up the story window or personalities window (maybe even the images window, I've not tried that).

You'll want to right click on the map and turn on the pins under the layers section. Then drag and drop items from the other windows onto the map. Each one makes a red pin that has a mouse-over title that is the same as the title of the object dropped. Clicking on the pin will open up that item.

So for simple dungeon crawls you can drop in each room description into the room on the map. If any npc's/monsters are there you can drag and drop them as well. If done completely you'll be able to run the whole thing right from the map. I'm sure you can drop objects from the Items window as well so you could track treasure that way.

As an added bonus... the pins are movable. So... you can use them to keep track of invisible monsters! I used them last night to track Shadows that jumpped into walls. I'd remove the token from the map and use a pin to move it along the wall. The pins are not visible to the players so I can track the critter while they can't see them. Perfect!

rv

I meant to ask... are pins visible to players?

Cantstanzya
February 23rd, 2006, 02:21
I meant to ask... are pins visible to players? No they are not.

Morfedel
February 24th, 2006, 03:19
Thought so... just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

DarkStar
March 3rd, 2006, 13:31
I'd like to ask what does your campaign creation process look like? I read that i.e. Stuart has some Sandbox campaigns which he uses to develop stuff. Let's say I want to have a constantly evolving campaign, which I will add to between the sessions, as my players progress through the storyline. How would you do that? Can I run a campaign and then edit it and just save my changes? Or should I incorporate modules? Can I edit a module in between sessions and reload it in the campaign to see the changes?

I'd like some technical answers. How do you do that?

gurney9999
March 3rd, 2006, 18:13
From another thread...

Good question! Everyone probably does things differently, so this should be fun to see.

I personally use a central campaign for a group of character sheets, recurring NPCs, main map images, main story pages, etc. I use this for my sessions and activate modules accordingly.

Then in a separate 'sandbox' campaign I usually create modules broken out either by 'session' or by 'location (or locigal group of locations)'. Within each module I place the maps, specific NPCs, story pages, etc. for everything should occur within those maps.

Since you cannot export tokens into a module, I create folders (bags) within my tokens/host folder, with the same module name, and all the tokens that apply only to that module are placed within it (with subfolders if needed).

Separately I have helpful modules that I'll use from time to time... like Kalmarjan's Campaign Log and Party Treasure Mods (https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/downloads_community.htm) Changes made to data within a campaign is saved within the campaign. As I understand it, changes made to module information within a campaign are not saved into a module.

You should consider modules as 'completed' set pieces. You can go back into the sandbox campaign that you used to create the module, make changes, export with a different module name, and then pull that in to your campaign (you may be able to re-export with the same module name, but just to be safe I usually export with a different name and delete the original module from the modules folder).

SurlyDwarf
March 3rd, 2006, 19:18
Yup. I found this the hard way. My first session I found I wanted to edit story pages and add notes and detail to NPCs that were evolving as the game played out. For this reason--the unchangeable nature of modules--I have had to abandon my module hopes and dreams altogether. At best, I may be able to use modules for maps and images just so i can unload them to declutter. Not quite as cool as I was originally planning. *sigh*

DarkStar
March 3rd, 2006, 21:56
But is there a real reason to use modules then? Why don't you just pack everything into the campaign and edit it when needed, add new stuff, delete some, etc. I guess using modules, which can be turned off, is saving some memory for the application, right? But does it serve any purpouse besides that? Well, it surely helps organize things, but it's doubtfuly worth it that way, isn't it?

Ged
March 3rd, 2006, 22:16
But is there a real reason to use modules then? Why don't you just pack everything into the campaign and edit it when needed, add new stuff, delete some, etc. I guess using modules, which can be turned off, is saving some memory for the application, right? But does it serve any purpouse besides that? Well, it surely helps organize things, but it's doubtfuly worth it that way, isn't it?
Well, modules can be utilized in various ways but their primary purpose was to allow a neat way to pack pre-made adventure modules and in the same time prevent the third-party content from cluttering campaign data. In my opinion, in stricktly personal use modules are useful when preparing some adventure area, e.g., for use in many different campaingns or players or to be used only occasionally but repeatedly.

gurney9999
March 4th, 2006, 15:54
Yes, repeatability is the key. I use a campaign as the container for the group, and pull in modules as needed.

If you end up running more than one group, modules are a great way to reuse information between campaigns. Plus it is a lot better than adding/deleting information from a campaign, especially if ever want to use those items again in the future.

SurlyDwarf
March 4th, 2006, 17:02
Well, modules can be utilized in various ways but their primary purpose was to allow a neat way to pack pre-made adventure modules and in the same time prevent the third-party content from cluttering campaign data. In my opinion, in stricktly personal use modules are useful when preparing some adventure area, e.g., for use in many different campaingns or players or to be used only occasionally but repeatedly.

Since a module is content packed in a zip file (with the extension renamed to .mod) is there not a way to make them editable? Could this be a feature request?

joeru
March 4th, 2006, 22:00
Since a module is content packed in a zip file (with the extension renamed to .mod) is there not a way to make them editable? Could this be a feature request?

With the usual autosave-feature not saving it, but requiring a command such as /updatemodule [name] or right-clicking and choosing "update module" on the chosen module from the modules menu... or some such.

kalmarjan
March 5th, 2006, 01:02
I have an issue with a module right now...

I have one section of the campaign in a module that crashes FG when I unselect it from the modules. It gives me a memory error when I do so.

I have no idea what the reason for this is. I would like to send it to one of the Devs if they will look it over... I cannot place what is wrong, and it is driving me nuts!

Sandeman

hedgewizard
March 5th, 2006, 01:06
What I've been using modules for is to create a common use system. [Keep in mind I am running WFRP - not d20 / DnD]

I created one module for towns and cities. In it, I have put all the common NPCs one would encounter (everything from proprietors to beggars, guards, minor nobles, etc.) Included in that module are a bunch of maps covering various sized taverns and inns, alleyways, streets, etc.

Another module is for outdoor stuff; it covers various road ambush sites, forest scenes, rivers and creeks, etc. It also has outlaws, roadwardens, gobbos, orcs, etc.

Another yet for dungeon-esque places (not a lot of those in WFRP) with beasties. Etc.

This system works pretty good so far...

DarkStar
March 6th, 2006, 20:49
Hm... sounds interesting, I'd say that's the way to use modules, but I didn't think of it before. Not that I have any reusable places yet. ;)