PDA

View Full Version : Module not loading?

flekhabren
June 26th, 2017, 19:40
I've taken the BRP X ruleset basically copied it and mixed it with the example extension to create my own. It has a library portion that has been showing up but after one of the recent updates the extension library piece isnt showing up on the clients machine.

When they look in the module section it shows the BRP Game System X and my extension. Both show, but not in the library. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I could fix this?

Trenloe
June 26th, 2017, 20:36
As the player to double-click on the BRP book cover graphic in the Module Activation screen for each module. This usually opens the module.

flekhabren
June 26th, 2017, 20:37
Doing that will open the original, but not the modified one.

Moon Wizard
June 26th, 2017, 20:42
If you have two modules with the same name, then one will overwrite the other, and there's no way to specify which order. Each module must have a unique name.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
June 26th, 2017, 20:43
Are you saying that if the player double-clicks on the icon graphic for "Fall of Dunai BRP" nothing happens?

How big is this .mod file? If you wait 10 minutes does it work? (i.e. taken time to download to the player)

Try it a few times - double-click on the BRP book cover for the module, wait a few seconds and see if it opens in the library, then double-click again, wait a few seconds...

Trenloe
June 26th, 2017, 20:45
Additionally - does the GM see the data in their library OK? Could you provide a screenshot showing the GM side?

flekhabren
June 26th, 2017, 20:47
I'll give it another shot, but I tried waiting as you recommended previously with no success. the folder is 55MB due to a large token file (50MB).

I think I changed the name, but to be sure, where is that in the files?

Trenloe
June 26th, 2017, 20:50
I'll give it another shot, but I tried waiting as you recommended previously with no success. the folder is 55MB due to a large token file (50MB).
That's pretty big for a module that gets shared with the players. It could well be taking it's time downloading and trying to process. Plus, tokens in a module won't be visible to the players - so I'd recommend moving them to a GM module (one you don't share with the players).

If you want the players to see tokens then put them in the <FG app data>\tokens\shared directory - but don't have too many as they take up resources. 50MB sounds a lot for tokens - how many do you have? What dimensions are they? What file size is each token?

flekhabren
June 26th, 2017, 20:54
its largely for monsters and NPCs,
I user a program called tokentool, most of the tokens are 256x256, ~150kb, some are 128x128, ~30kb

115 of them are various monsters, the rest are NPCs or generic races

Trenloe
June 26th, 2017, 20:58
50MB is still quite large for tokens, and most definitely should not be in a module you're sharing with the players.

flekhabren
June 26th, 2017, 21:01
Additionally - does the GM see the data in their library OK? Could you provide a screenshot showing the GM side?

I'll get a screenshot uploaded in a bit, It does load ok the the GM side. I'll also move the tokens to another module for GM only.

flekhabren
June 26th, 2017, 23:17
Here is the server screenshot

flekhabren
June 27th, 2017, 14:18
It was the size, after taking out the tokens its size is 5.4 mb and it loads fine as a player. Thanks.

Trenloe
June 27th, 2017, 15:44
Cool. Glad you got it working. :)

flekhabren
June 30th, 2017, 21:01
well.. I did something to break it again. I cant get it to load any more after adding some more lines to the common.xml file.

It still loads fine for the GM.
The module size is currently 2.9 MB The common.xml is ~20k lines.

In the header portion I change the BRPrules-001-X title to FODrules-001-X, and the name on the next line, but the category name on the next line is the same.

I attempted to wait 30 minutes trying to double click on the module portion roughly every 5 minutes.

Moon Wizard
June 30th, 2017, 21:21
If you change the name or the tags within a module, make sure to Revert the module in your campaign where you have opened it previously. (Right click on the module entry in the Library->Modules window, and select the Revert option.)

Also, make sure that you have valid XML in your definition.xml and common.xml files. You can use a tool to check for valid XML. Notepad++ (32-bit) has a plug-in called "XML Tools" that has a syntax auto-check option. That's what I use to make sure I didn't break the XML while editing manually.

Regards,
JPG

flekhabren
June 30th, 2017, 21:31
Is revert a GM only option? I dont see it connected as a player. I made that change when first starting my edits, I just didnt get a chance to post in previously in case it was important.

in the definition.xml I only have 3 lines (7 lines), Name, Author, and Ruleset. I've changed the name and author lines from the original.

I'm using notepad++ with the plug-in for all editing. Its been very helpful.

Moon Wizard
June 30th, 2017, 21:33
Yes, Revert is a GM option. The player version of the module doesn't allow edits at all, while the GM version of the module allows edits to non-static data.

Regards,
JPG

flekhabren
July 1st, 2017, 16:34
The revert changes option did not make a difference.

I can get it to load on the server connection and connecting to local host as a player, but other players are not getting it to show up.

Moon Wizard
July 2nd, 2017, 02:02
Based on the host address you sent in PM, I think I was able to access the module.

Regards,
JPG

flekhabren
July 2nd, 2017, 02:04
Thats it, Thanks for checking it. Must be something with the other players are doing or not doing. Thanks for the help.