PDA

View Full Version : [3.3.1 5e] Player Can't Edit Owned Character Sheet

Atreyis Lortani
June 26th, 2017, 18:58
I recently bought the ultimate version of FG (along with the complete set of 5e D&D books). I'm still in the set-up process for my campaign, but had one of my players (all of my players are using the demo version) join the game so he could set up his character. When he joined, he created a new character but when he clicked the NAME field he said it was red and wouldn't let him edit it. I decided to dual-box and join my own game as a player as well. Created a new character as a player and was able to edit the created character as normal.

The player was able to create a character in the Manager, then upload it to my campaign, but still couldn't edit it.

The only possible explanation for this that I can think of is that he's using the demo version. I've done my research and have yet to see anyone mention an issue like this even under similar circumstances.

If anyone has ideas as to the cause for this, I'd appreciate the assistance.

Moon Wizard
June 26th, 2017, 19:10
That is bizarre. The only place that I can find a red field being used in the existing 5E code is when exporting custom modules from a campaign to require a module name and a file name. The other place it is used is when in the launcher to require user name and host address for joining a game, or a campaign name and ruleset selection when creating a campaign. I'm guessing that it may be some confusion around how to join a game.

Regards,
JPG

Atreyis Lortani
June 26th, 2017, 19:13
That is bizarre. The only place that I can find a red field being used in the existing 5E code is when exporting custom modules from a campaign to require a module name and a file name. The other place it is used is when in the launcher to require user name and host address for joining a game, or a campaign name and ruleset selection when creating a campaign. I'm guessing that it may be some confusion around how to join a game.

Regards,
JPG
What do you mean by "confusion around how to join a game?"

He joined my game just fine. Once he claimed a character, his player icon appeared in the top left corner. As the GM, I could edit his character sheet just fine, but he said when he clicked the name field, it was red.

Atreyis Lortani
June 26th, 2017, 19:35
Had another player join to see if he could create and edit a character, and he could. Then I had the player who had issues try again and suddenly he can edit it just fine. So I'm just going to chalk this up to a bug and get back to designing.

Moon Wizard
June 26th, 2017, 20:10
I was just referring to the fact that the only place that the "red" field frame is used in the launcher and 5E UI locations is in the specific areas I mentioned, and that I wasn't sure how those UI locations could be related to PC names. So, I was just guessing as to what might be happening, since I didn't see anything stand out.

At any rate, I'm glad your player is working again.

Happy gaming,
JPG

LordEntrails
June 26th, 2017, 20:48
Maybe he didn't have a unique username when he joined? Only a guess, but since Moon didn't suggest that, probably a bad guess at that.

Anyway, glad it's working and welcome to the forums!

Beldak
June 27th, 2017, 11:51
Or was the player not assigned ownership of that PC somehow? I don't think you can edit a PC of a character you aren't given "ownership"