PDA

View Full Version : Looking for one more for existing CoC 7th edition campaign

Moranthus
June 26th, 2017, 15:40
Good day,

I am currently running a Call of Cthulhu 7th edition campaign through fantasy grounds and have an opening for an additional player. This campaign has been running since March of this year and we have just completed our 11th session.

The game has centered thus far around a group of friends in Arkham Massachusetts in 1925 who through a series of events uncovered a nefarious Egyptian cult operating in the United States. Currently in the game the group has just successfully thwarted the cult in the United States but have discovered a link to an older, more powerful sect that they believe may still be operating in Egypt. The group is taking a few months to prepare themselves before they intend to travel to Cairo and attempt to learn more. One of the group (the player we are replacing) has already travelled to Egypt and the others hope to join him there when they are ready. A new character could easily be someone the group meet in the U.S. while preparing for their trip or someone they meet when they arrive in Cairo.

The group meets between 2-3 times per month on Sundays. Session times are either approximately 5PM-9:30 PM EST or 7PM-9:30 PM EST, depending on the availability of our players. There are a couple of things I should mention that are important for anyone considering the game to know…

1.This is a role-playing heavy group. Some sessions have simply been a series of conversations with little or no dice rolling. That said – the game also has a pulp element to it and when action has occurred, it’s been heavy and brutal. I’d say the mix is about 80/20 between RP and action.

2.Due to severe hearing loss, I have chosen to run the game primarily through the FG text interface. I also find keeping everyone focused on the chat window helps with immersion. I do make a teamspeak channel available for the party and for short chats between myself and the group, but most communication (even ooc) occurs in the chat window in the client.

3.I do ask players to join our forum group here on the site. There is a lot of accumulated material for the game that I make available on the group forum here (these items are also available as shared notes on the client).

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to message me. I’ll include in responses below some information to give you a further taste of the game so far and perhaps some of our esteemed investigators may stop by and give you their impressions of the game.

Moranthus
June 26th, 2017, 15:41
Here’s some information about our investigators, the men who call themselves the Midnight Raconteurs:

This group of acquaintances has come together over the last several months out of a mutual appreciation for a good story well told. While each of the 'members' comes from a different set of experiences, the group appreciates an interesting or intriguing story on almost any topic. The group meets every Friday night at the Northside Speakeasy in Arkham and usually designates one member to bring a 'story for the evening' that the group will first listen to and then discuss. Coming together after dinner (approximately 8pm) the group banters until about midnight while sharing drinks and fellowship.

The group is comprised of four men:

Reverend Doctor Marcus Randolf James: A non-tenured professor of Classics and Medieval studies at Miskatonic University, Dr. James took the position in Arkham in January after the unexpected disappearance of Professor Abraham Graves. An unapologetic liberal and lifelong academic, Dr. James has interests in the occult, theology and history so most of his stories revolve around those topics. Dr. James is one of the founders of the group.

Doctor Jack Andrews: Currently consulting part time at the hospital in Arkham, Dr. Andrews moved to town a few months ago after losing his Boston estate to divorce. He has taken residence in an old family brownstone on Garrison Street downtown and he hopes to use his dwindling finances to restore the property. Once a fine gentleman who served elite families in Boston in a private practice, Dr. Andrews has no end of stories involving strange ailments, phobias and family secrets. Dr. Andrews is the other founder of the group.

Ben Tucker: The youngest of the group in his mid-twenties, a veteran of the 'War to end all Wars.' Ben was a combat pilot who flew numerous missions in Europe. While he doesn't even have a high school diploma (he lied about that to join the military), Ben has a keen if undisciplined mind and both of his more educated cohorts have come to appreciate his sharp and observant intellect. Ben regales the group with stories of combat, war and valor and while his words may lack the flourish of the others, he tells a very compelling story.

Draven Sullivan: The most recent addition to the group, having come to the town of Arkham barely a month ago. A procurer of items of interest for wealthy, erudite clients, Mr. Sullivan has come to Arkham to access the well-stocked library at Miskatonic University as part of a recent assignment. He has travelled more of the world than the others (Egypt and Africa primarily) and contributes stories ripe with worldly mystery, splendor and intrigue.

Moranthus
June 26th, 2017, 15:43
Here is a summary of one of our sessions to give you an idea of how things flow – from session 3. We pick up the Raconteurs after they have just escaped the horrors of a house they were hired to investigate outside of Arkham. Understandably, they are wary of their recent employer and decide to check out his room at the Hotel Miskatonic:

As a storm ranged around them in the early evening hours of May 9th, 1925, the Midnight Raconteurs found themselves trapped in Dr. James Buick on a muddy road in the wooded hills south of Arkham. The road ahead of them was washed out and the heavy rain made the five mile walk back to town across difficult ground a grim prospect. As the group waited for the rain to stop and the road to clear, they debated among themselves the events of the day. Collectively they agreed that they had been lead to the house to die by Albert Givens and that Givens was the likely murderer of the two men they had found in the basement. As the group discussed these assumptions, Mr. Tucker kept a wary eye on the woods around them.

Eventually the rain stopped and they could begin the careful journey on the muddy roads back to town. They considered possible places to stop and continue their discussion, discounting the Northside speakeasy since they were not yet ready to confront Givens and they had first met him there. Dr. James suggested the faculty club at Miskatonic University which would likely be empty on a rainy Saturday night. The group agreed.

While at the club they shared some calming drinks, and began to draft a possible plan of action. Eventually they decided that Dr. James and Dr. Andrews would enter the hotel and update Givens, reporting that they found nothing and were driven off by the storm. Mr. Sullivan and Mr. Tucker would wait in Dr. James Buick outside the hotel and tail Albert Givens when he left. The good doctors would then exit the hotel and follow at a further distance in Dr. Andrews roadster.

Upon entering the hotel, Dr. James and Dr. Andrews were informed by the desk clerk that Albert Givens had a do not disturb on his door. She promised to send a message and advised them that they could wait in the hotel restaurant. Dr. James went out to inform Mr. Sullivan and Mr. Tucker while Dr. Andrews ordered some coffee. Before Dr. James could return, Dr. Andrews made his way to Albert Givens room on the third floor. Informed by a waiter that his friend was in the restroom (a clever ruse), Dr. James elected to wait and sample some of the fine hotel coffee.

When Dr. Andrews entered Givens room he was in for quite a shock. On the bed in the room was a desiccated corpse, dressed in the same clothes that Givens had worn at brunch the previous morning. In his hand, he clutched a large tome with Latin inscribed in gold on the cover. Dr. Andrews secured that beneath his coat and rifled the billfold on the corpse, finding a fair sum of cash and a guest card to the Anubis Club - an exclusive speakeasy in Boston.

Meanwhile Dr. James had grown concerned over the absence of Dr. Andrews and sought him in the restroom. Finding the stalls empty, he intuited Dr. Andrews location and made his way to the third floor to find him. When he arrived Dr. Andrews brought him up to speed on his findings and a further search of the room by both men yielded nothing further. The two men quietly closed the door again and made their way out of the hotel. Once on the street they met with Mr. Sullivan and Mr. Tucker and informed them of what they had found in the room. Mr. Tucker, despite his lack of formal education made the insightful observation that Albert Givens had intended to sacrifice them at Sutter House and that his failure to do so had resulted in his demise.

Session 4 begins as the group is still discussing this topic in Dr. James Buick outside the Hotel Miskatonic. It is approximately 9:30 AM on Sunday, May 10 1925 .

Moranthus
June 26th, 2017, 15:44
And finally – here is a quick sample from the ‘What the Investigators Know’ thread form our forum group, a thread that summarizes all information the investigators have learned thus far. It is a summary of a partial reprint of the Mythos tome, the ‘Infra Deum’:

Mythos Tome: The Infra Deum (Under Gods) - ABRIDGED

Description:
Thick brown book with Latin script written in gold on the cover. The pages are gilded with gold. The condition of the book is pristine, indicating to you that it is likely a recently scribed copy of the original text.

History:
The Infra Deum (Under Gods) is a compilation of legends and fables regarding vast subterranean worms. Compiled by the Roman philosopher Atticus Aurelius from accounts found in the library of Alexandria, the book was written in 46 BC at the request of Julius Ceasar. The book chronicles at great length the legends of the pale and mindless behemoths that some ancient cultures believed lived deep in the earth, endlessly consuming everything in their path in a cycle predating all known human civilizations. The book also speaks of a creature known as the Devourer Below, greatest and oldest of the worms. The book hints that this vast and ancient beast was sentient in some fashion and that it even accepted tribute by faithful followers. Some accounts even claim that the creature would send its children to destroy the enemies of those who paid tribute to it.

Research Stats:
Sanity Loss : 1D6
Cthulhu Mythos : +2/+4 percentiles
Mythos Rating : 15
Study : 6 weeks

Spells: - There are two spells in the book that can be learned:

Flesh of the Burrower
Cost : 1d4 Sanity, Variable Magic Points (target of the spell also loses 1d4 Sanity - the first time it is cast on a subject the loss is 1d6.)
Casting Time : 5 rounds

The skin of the target is transformed into a slick and translucent membrane, altering their appearance and smoothing out their features. The membrane glistens with a viscous mucus and is clammy to the touch. Anyone viewing the affected individual will know that something is very wrong with them and must make a sanity roll with a sanity loss of 1/1d4. Once someone passes a sanity roll for viewing the effects of the spell, they are not affected by future exposures.

Grants protection against physical attack. Each magic point spent gives the caster (or the chosen target) 1D6 points of armor against non-magical attacks. This protection wears off as it blocks damage. For example, if a character had 12 points of the Burrower's Flesh as armor and was hit for 8 points of damage, the protection would be reduced to 4 points, yet he or she would take no damage. The spell lasts 24 hours or until the protection is used up. Once cast, the spell may not be reinforced with further magic points, nor recast until the old spell’s protection has been used up.

Summon the Child of the Devourer
Cost: 3 POW, 8 magic points, 1d8 Sanity
Casting Time: Two Hours

The caster reaches his consciousness deep within the earth and attempts to contact and call forth one of the children of the Great Devourer. There is no guarantee that such an attempt will be successful as the mindless beasts serve their own whims and journey randomly within the deep recesses of the earth. If successful one of the children will begin to make its way to the caster's location, a journey that can take anywhere from 8-24 hours. Subsequent castings of the spell allow the caster to narrow this range and with practice the caster can even direct the speed of approach but cannot change the destination (the creature always burrows unerringly to the place that the spell was cast)..

Again there is no guarantee that a successful contact will be made and regardless of success or failure the cost of the spell is paid by the caster. Specially prepared spheres of pyrite placed near the point of summoning may increase the chance of a successful contact, as will the warm blood of living creatures. As the child approaches it will reach out its mind, ensnaring any living beings near the point of summoning and binding them to the location. Since this call can also affect the caster, it is recommended that the caster leaves the point of summoning after completing the spell, lest he be ensnared and thus devoured when the child arrives. Unless, of course - he wishes to give his life as sustenance… A noble sacrifice indeed. Praise to the devourer!

Logan-05
June 28th, 2017, 23:23
Looks awesome! I'm in!

Actually, I am in, and I've been a player in this campaign since March. All I can say is that it's the best DM'd campaign I've ever participated in. Bar none. Moranthus is like a director of a fine RKO picture of old. Can't recommend him and this campaign enough.

Cheers,
D

Outcast 2-4
July 5th, 2017, 09:28
I too am a player in this game and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. If you're wanting to try Call of Cthulhu for the first time or an experienced player looking to get back into defying the Mythos, this is the game for you.

seetanh
July 5th, 2017, 12:27
I would definitely be interested in participating in this. New to CoC but looks like a very interesting ruleset and story driven game.

jvkdsh
July 5th, 2017, 17:07
I am very interested in joining, I have DMed 7th edition before so I am kinda well versed in it...to some degree that is.

timdog88
July 6th, 2017, 02:34
Hey, I can't join (although this sounds awesome), but I was interested in the group forum that you guys use. How do you set that up? It sounds like it would be very useful, but I've never seen how to do it. Is it a fantasy grounds thing, or another site? Thanks.

Moranthus
July 9th, 2017, 00:46
Hello everyone,

First - sorry to take a few days to reply and also that the spot was filled by PM on the 4th. However seetanh and jvkdsh I have made a note of your forum names in case I get another opening.

timdog88 - I'm if you click the forum dropdown at the top of the page and then select community you will see a group link. That will take you to the group page of the forum software here. Just click the blue create group button and fill out some basic information and you'll have a nice place to share information with your players.

Moranthus