PDA

View Full Version : Custom NPC (3.5) Vehicles tab field headings

PappaJHR
June 26th, 2017, 04:53
Hello, as with most I am new to FG, and just spent several hours/days adding in custom rules, classes, linked tables, so on and so forth... ...but most importantly I put in a literal ton of NPC creatures. Everything going great until I went to add our house version of spelljammer ships and found that none of the field names on the vehicle tab worked for our game. I did the obligatory searches trying to find a way to change the field headings (not sure what else to call them), and while I did find some links\posts the information I found... ... ...in most cases went way beyond what I was looking for, and allot of it was over my head... What I am looking for is a simple way to change the names on a group of fields in the vehicle tab. I attached an image below of what I am trying to do, and thank you in advance.

LordEntrails
June 26th, 2017, 07:10
Hey PappaJHR, welcome to the forums :)

I don't do anything in 3.5, but I do know 5E pretty well. And atleast in that ruleset (and I suspect in 3.5) those headings the you want to change are in the xml itself. Are you looking to create a custom extension or where you just hoping to change the field name dynamically or through the UI? If you are looking to do it with an extension, I can point you in the right direction, but it doesn't sound like that's what you were wanting...

PappaJHR
June 26th, 2017, 14:35
I would be fine editing the xml file, if I knew which xml file to edit and what inside of the xml to change. I think making a module would be a bit overkill for what I want to do (I could be wrong, I am just not sure). I am just looking for the easiest way to add the relevant ship stats. If your not familiar with how Spelljammer ship stats look, I have pasted an example below and this is what I am trying to track.

Man-O-War, Archaic
Built by: Elves
Used Primarily By: Elves
Tonnage: 50
Hull Points: 50
Crew: 10/50
Maneuver Class: D
Landing-Land: No
Landing-Water: No
Armor Rating: 8
Saves As: Ceramic
Power Type: Major or Minor helm
Ship's Rating: As per helmsman
Standard Armament:
2 medium ballistae; crew: 2 each
2 medium catapult; crew: 3 each
Cargo: 30 tons
Keel Length: 175'
Beam Length: 20'
Cost: 75,000 gp

LordEntrails
June 26th, 2017, 15:42
I'm hoping someone with specific knowledge will jump in here and help us out soon.

If it's only for one or a handful of entries, I might just make a story entry rather than customize the NPC record. But to change the record, I would go the route of an extension otherwise you will either lose your changes the next time an update to the ruleset happens or you won't get your update.

If you want to mod the xml, you'll want to start here with the Developer Guides (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guides). Especially the section on Ruleset Modification. If no one jumps in, I will see if I can figure out where you need to start. It's probably inside a file called something like "campaign\record.npc.xml" but I'm not sure.

Moon Wizard
June 26th, 2017, 19:03
Unless you want to build and maintain an extension (requiring both XML and Lua code) to work as versions update, I would just include any specific fields you want in the NPC Notes tab.

Regards,
JPG