PDA

View Full Version : That moment when...

Ken L
June 25th, 2017, 19:29
So everyone's gaming group does dumb stuff sometimes, and hilariously so, but then there's that moment where you realized they f*cked up royally.

So my party was docked at a frontier refueling station to stock up before a week long FTL jump to a distant system. They purchased arms, ammo, and even pooled for a new engine core after realizing that ship agility was actually pretty important from a prior encounter. There was one thing they forgot to do before they disembarked and I gave a few reminders about it as they gleefully went joy shopping (There was a colony arms merchant also docked at the station)...

Their fuel.

I ran perfect poker face as they charted their jump and entered into hypersleep. After a moment of silence I announced that they awoke to emergency power, with protocol blaring that they were in normal space, light years from civilization, and out of fuel enough for entry into FTL. Oh man, the panic in their voices was priceless.

viresanimi
June 25th, 2017, 19:52
"In space, only the gamemaster can hear your screams"

LordEntrails
June 26th, 2017, 01:20
*LOL*

Love it. This is one reason why professional pilots have CHECK LISTS!

DragonsDen13
June 26th, 2017, 02:47
the party walks into the 20x20 room sees a big nasty on the other side and the Wizard says, before anyone can say anything, "I cast my fireball at him." Rest in peace dear adventurers.

LordEntrails
June 26th, 2017, 02:55
Not as poignant, but still funny.

Party comes into a room. Fountain in the center that spews light and no water. Goes up about 8 feet before coming back down and disappearing.. Party throws a rock into it, it disappears. Party casts frost ray and it disappears. Wizards checks for magic, it is. Wizard discovers it's NOT a teleporter. Cleric sticks his hand in, takes damage and looses a finger to the fountain of disintegration :)

Ken L
June 26th, 2017, 08:37
*LOL*

Love it. This is one reason why professional pilots have CHECK LISTS!
The system is a mix of shadow run, Traveller, and Coriolis so I spent 6 darkness to make the routing computer fail to remind them at the route planning before disembarkment. I made the screen flicker and played it off as the console needing to be replaced after the spiritualist went temper tantrum on it last. I mean in the far off future surely the nav-computer would know the required fuel; but there's a saying for don't trust everything in technology. Also they kinda docked at a refueling station and forgot the primary purpose when I waved guns and ammo at their faces. They technically pooled credits for ship supplies but splurged it all on that new reactor core forgetting that part of that supply fund was also for fuel. The blame game after they awoke was just pure chaos. "But I put in 25k credits" -- "I thought that was for the fuel! You didn't tell me it mostly went for the engine!" -- "Don't tell me that, you were quartermaster for crying out loud!". The smile on my face, oh man.

the party walks into the 20x20 room sees a big nasty on the other side and the Wizard says, before anyone can say anything, "I cast my fireball at him." Rest in peace dear adventurers.
Spell reflection is brutal.

dulux-oz
June 26th, 2017, 08:58
@Ken L = > You're an evil, evil man - the way a GM should be - and someone after my own heart!

Ken L
June 26th, 2017, 15:11
Not as epic, but relevant because hyperspace

https://i.imgur.com/boi4B0c.gifv

I'm interested in everyone's o'**** moments.

Full Bleed
June 26th, 2017, 17:49
The system is a mix of shadow run, Traveller, and Coriolis so I spent 6 darkness to make the routing computer fail to remind them at the route planning before disembarkment. I made the screen flicker and played it off as the console needing to be replaced after the spiritualist went temper tantrum on it last. I mean in the far off future surely the nav-computer would know the required fuel; but there's a saying for don't trust everything in technology. Also they kinda docked at a refueling station and forgot the primary purpose when I waved guns and ammo at their faces. They technically pooled credits for ship supplies but splurged it all on that new reactor core forgetting that part of that supply fund was also for fuel. The blame game after they awoke was just pure chaos. "But I put in 25k credits" -- "I thought that was for the fuel! You didn't tell me it mostly went for the engine!" -- "Don't tell me that, you were quartermaster for crying out loud!". The smile on my face, oh man.
I'd be firing that nav-computer and investing in something better than Siri to backstop critical operations next time.

When you're traveling with FTL (likely out of communication and survival resource/repair range for a substantial part of the trip) fuel to get from point A to B has to be at the top of the fail-safe list.

This "mistake" is no joke.

Que up the deus ex machina.

Ken L
June 27th, 2017, 12:55
Anyone see Critical Role's 102nd ep? It seems Matt finally took the kiddie gloves off for that encounter, almost practically wiped them. To be fair.. there was that moment when Vox Machina just sauntered up to that encounter similar to their 100th ep thinking they got this. with little to no preparation (outside that earthquake they used) to face down a near god-like being. The best part was when they tried to escape that the big-bad attempted to counter-spell their planeshift for a full wipe. The bard however saved his last high level slot to counter-spell the counter-spell. God.. great EP.

1 PC did die at least.

What's that quote.... "Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insideous killer"

dulux-oz
June 27th, 2017, 14:27
"Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insideous killer"

A GM by any other name...

Ken L
June 27th, 2017, 20:11
It's actually a quote from 'Darkest Dungeon (https://www.darkestdungeon.com/)'