PDA

View Full Version : No one can connect to my game no matter what I do.

jarebearchen
June 22nd, 2017, 19:40
I tried pretty much everything suggested on the other threads about this, here's what I have done so far...nothing works:

Opened port 1802 in my router config.
Allowed port 1802 exception through my windows firewall.
I even completely turned off my computer's firewall and router firewall completely and it still did not work.

The only progress I have made now is that I can connect with computers on my local network only using the local IP. The external IP and aliases still do not work.
Canyouseeme.org still does not see me either.

midas
June 22nd, 2017, 20:01
If you go into your router, can you see what IP address the router is getting from your ISP? This will usually be under a heading like WAN Settings, Internet Status, etc.

Once you can see the IP your router has, go back to canyouseeme.org. Does the IP address shown in the Your IP field match the IP address your router has on its WAN interface?

If yes, then there's still something wrong in your router config--maybe you didn't forward the port to the correct IP address of your computer for example.

If no, then port forwarding won't work for you as the actual router/device that's performing network address translation (NAT) for you is further upstream. This is common in housing complexes/dorms that provide internet for tenants, as well as internet providers in some countries (I understand Germany is big on this).

If that's the case then you'll need to use a VPN solution like Hamachi.

Martin153
June 22nd, 2017, 20:37
You're not alone. I had the same problem and had to cancel my first sessions. I really hope the next release of FG does something to work around this very common and frustrating feature...

Someone from the forums had to remotely connect to my PC and change some registry settings in the end. Still can't get it working on my laptop so I hope my desktop never breaks as I have no idea what he did.

I really hated the idea of Hamachi as I understand all my players would need to install it too..

Chatting to a few others, FG loses people to other systems as a result of this.

Martin

LordEntrails
June 22nd, 2017, 20:53
Changing / updating the network architecture is one of the announced objectives of Unity. So most connection issues will hopefully be resolved when FGU is released (though the exact network model has not been announced we do know it will still require the GM to host).

Second, you can also get a private VPN server for yourself that will make it so that your players do not have to install anything other than FG. One of the Immortals has posted instructions on how to do this, and it costs about $20 USD / year. You can also go with a commercial VPN solution line PureVPN and I believe that does not require your players to install anything but FG, though I think it costs more than the private server route.

Martin153
June 22nd, 2017, 21:15
That is great to hear. When I try to convert players and DMs from the 'other' place, so many say they have tried but cant get players to connect and give up and go back to the 'other' place. That alone will boost the FG player base significantly.

jarebearchen
June 22nd, 2017, 21:20
Good news! I tried one last thing...which worked. Had to open the port on my modem as well as on my router.

Martin153
June 22nd, 2017, 21:22
Great news...happy gaming

Nylanfs
June 22nd, 2017, 22:11
That is great to hear. When I try to convert players and DMs from the 'other' place, so many say they have tried but cant get players to connect and give up and go back to the 'other' place. That alone will boost the FG player base significantly.

Just a note, I'm pretty sure nobody here has a problem with you mentioning Roll20 in the forums. That is one of their policies that I REALLY don't like.

Erin Righ
June 23rd, 2017, 14:56

Around here we are not so insecure that you can't mention the competition ;)

LordEntrails
June 23rd, 2017, 19:46
Around here we are not so insecure that you can't mention the competition ;)
It amazes me some of the stories I hear about people getting banned from the Roll20 forums for things that I wouldn't see as a problem. I hadn't heard any of that or some other worrisome things when I made my VTT selection in 2015, but I just continue to find more and more reasons to believe I've made the correct choice.

Martin153
June 24th, 2017, 00:13
I wouldn't go back to Roll20 if they paid me. FG has a better class of player and GM IMHO.

Every time I see someone advocating Roll20 on social media I always suggest FG. They always respond with 'but Roll20 is Free' I don't think they have done the math or considered paying for FG monthly. Its another misconception. Paying monthly for Ultimate is not that well known in the wider world. Everyone thinks you have to pay $149 upfront. When I tell them that you can pay $9.99 a month for FG (The same as a pro Roll20 subscription) they are always surprised.