PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Opinions on Kingdoms

LordEntrails
June 22nd, 2017, 15:38
Anyone willing to share an opinion on "Kingdoms (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=LGFG5EKINGDOMS)" from Legendary Games?

How well do these rules work? Are they setting type specific (i.e. high fantasy, sword & sorcery, etc)? How extensive are they (i.e. with a PDF we know number of pages, there is not similar statistic with FG)?

What (if anything) does the FG conversion add? Such as roll-able tables, story templates, etc

Gwydion
June 22nd, 2017, 19:24
Anyone willing to share an opinion on "Kingdoms (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=LGFG5EKINGDOMS)" from Legendary Games?

How well do these rules work? Are they setting type specific (i.e. high fantasy, sword & sorcery, etc)? How extensive are they (i.e. with a PDF we know number of pages, there is not similar statistic with FG)?

What (if anything) does the FG conversion add? Such as roll-able tables, story templates, etc

I don't own it but I reached out to someone who I believe owns it and has jumped into it. I asked him to look at your post and provide any feedback he has. Hopefully he jumps on!

LordEntrails
June 22nd, 2017, 19:38
I don't own it but I reached out to someone who I believe owns it and has jumped into it. I asked him to look at your post and provide any feedback he has. Hopefully he jumps on!

LazyStooner
June 22nd, 2017, 22:21
I have spent close to 15hrs with this module on FG and found it quite difficult. It interacts with FG just as well as any other module what I found difficult was the lay out and in some cases found the examples/graphs not helpful at all. This module works fantastic if my only intent is to build random areas of npc's for players to interact with. What I've been trying to accomplish with it is making a "guildhall" type of set up, in the game I'm trying to adapt it to is an open world with 50+ players that come and go and have been awarded plots of land. My main issue currently is the economy and the +/- qualities your settlement receive depending on alignment and the other options you get for where you place it and who you have employed in it. A few of the people I have asked to help me figure it out also pointed out to me even to make a basic hamlet as a player and not completely run by npc's is very difficult to find the information in the module without jumping all over. I have taken about 7 pages of notes and jumped arrows me the module and have a very good idea how to use the module but it took a lot of time and searching to get to that point. I absolutely love the idea of owning my own kingdom and intend to continue useing this module to create one.

LordEntrails
June 23rd, 2017, 00:10
Thanks Lazy. I appreciate you jumping on to give me your thoughts. I wonder if the PDF is any better? Though it does sound like it's fundamentally about the way it is written.

LazyStooner
June 23rd, 2017, 00:15
Thanks Lazy. I appreciate you jumping on to give me your thoughts. I wonder if the PDF is any better? Though it does sound like it's fundamentally about the way it is written.

Yes that is my main problem.

Zacchaeus
June 23rd, 2017, 00:51
The PDF is the same as the FG module. It will take a bit of work to make it work and there's a lot of tables which I couldn't make rollable. This was long before we had Story Templates so they might ease the pain a bit. I found it an interesting concept although not the kind of thing my players would be interested in. I think the thing would be to start small, just one small hamlet or stronghold and build it from there.

LordEntrails
June 23rd, 2017, 00:56
Thanks Zacchaeus, I saw you did the conversion so am extra appreciative that you added your thoughts.

rob2e
June 23rd, 2017, 04:34
As LazyStooner said, he and I and Urosh spent quite a bit of time discussing it and we added (certain elements) to the 5E Pickup Games. We toned it down a bit, and are using the converted "Guildhall" PDF info, but we eventually want to incorporate the full Kingdoms mod. It's pretty cool, but the (RP) involment is heavy and it's A LOT of DM behind the scenes stuff.

In the final analysis, I recommend it for someone like you GeoQuester only because I know you can handle (and would probably actually enjoy) its complexities.

Myrdin Potter
June 23rd, 2017, 17:57
The main complaint about the system itself is that it is a direct conversion over from Pathfinder and revenue can heavily rely on selling magic items which is really not a 5e thing. Otherwise, it is the most detailed rules/simulation in 5e for this that I am aware of.