PDA

View Full Version : Token Death Indicator 2.0 - BLOOD SPLATS!

Vishera
June 22nd, 2017, 08:11
I took Celestian's extension and modified it (with his permission) so that it will randomly produce a blood splat image over any creature's token the dies. It will choose randomly from 10 different images.
If the PC takes equal wounds too their HP, it will produce a "splat" on them as well. If they are healed the splat will remove itself.

Feel free to change the images to anything you like.
I haven't tested this on any other rulesets but 5e, but if you find it works on any other Core version, let me know.

Screenshot:

Original extension by Celestian can be found HERE (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38059-5E-Map-Indicator-for-Death)

spite
June 22nd, 2017, 08:49
I tried it on 4e, but I know little to nothing about how things work. I added in a 4e tag so it'd run for it, but kept getting an error. I don't know Lua, and dont have time to learn whilst also doing my Bachelors so looks like this'll stay on 5e for me. Thanks heaps for making it though, and thanks to Celestian for the base work done!

Vishera
June 22nd, 2017, 09:18
I tried it on 4e, but I know little to nothing about how things work. I added in a 4e tag so it'd run for it, but kept getting an error. I don't know Lua, and dont have time to learn whilst also doing my Bachelors so looks like this'll stay on 5e for me. Thanks heaps for making it though, and thanks to Celestian for the base work done!

It replaces the manager_token2.lua which is only a 5e thing. 4e is the edition we don't speak of anyway ;)

Full Bleed
June 22nd, 2017, 19:34
I took Celestian's extension and modified it (with his permission)...

Any other modifications beyond the images? Our group experienced consistency issues with the original mod (i.e. it didn't always work, and/or sometimes stopped working for some players in the middle of a session, etc.)

celestian
June 22nd, 2017, 20:23
Any other modifications beyond the images? Our group experienced consistency issues with the original mod (i.e. it didn't always work, and/or sometimes stopped working for some players in the middle of a session, etc.)

I think this might be some memory issue btw. I've had it crop up but there was no way I could consistently reproduce it. It always worked on the DM side but PC side would rarely just not display the image on the token. The player would relog and it would show up.

Not sure It's something that can be fixed on this side anyway.

rob2e
June 23rd, 2017, 04:37
Are people still having issues with players getting clip board errors when PCs die?

Full Bleed
June 23rd, 2017, 05:06
I think this might be some memory issue btw. I've had it crop up but there was no way I could consistently reproduce it. It always worked on the DM side but PC side would rarely just not display the image on the token. The player would relog and it would show up.

Not sure It's something that can be fixed on this side anyway.
You may be right about it being a memory issue... but I've got a 16gb system so I'm not sure how I could possibly address it on my side. When last we used this two players had it stop functioning for them (I was one of them)... I re-logged and it still didn't work, so we just ended up removing the extension. While it worked it was a really nice add to the game (it's just not all that satisfying to see nothing happen when you kill something.)

Wookiee420
June 23rd, 2017, 05:37
You may be right about it being a memory issue... but I've got a 16gb system so I'm not sure how I could possibly address it on my side. When last we used this two players had it stop functioning for them (I was one of them)... I re-logged and it still didn't work, so we just ended up removing the extension. While it worked it was a really nice add to the game (it's just not all that satisfying to see nothing happen when you kill something.)

Regardless of your RAM status FG is 32bit and can only use 3.2 gigs of RAM :(

celestian
June 23rd, 2017, 06:21
Regardless of your RAM status FG is 32bit and can only use 3.2 gigs of RAM :(

This. FG is also exTREEMLY picky about map dimensions.

FGU will get around the memory/map issues so I hear!

spite
June 23rd, 2017, 06:37
It replaces the manager_token2.lua which is only a 5e thing. 4e is the edition we don't speak of anyway ;)

Ah that'd explain the error then. Oh well

And like Voldemort, the fear of saying its name is a fear borne of the unknown. :)

Erin Righ
June 23rd, 2017, 15:02
Ah that'd explain the error then. Oh well

And like Voldemort, the fear of saying its name is a fear borne of the unknown. :)

It is not fear of the name, it is sheer disgust. It makes me throw up a little into my mouth just TRYING to say it

Full Bleed
June 23rd, 2017, 18:05
This. FG is also exTREEMLY picky about map dimensions.

FGU will get around the memory/map issues so I hear!
Yes, it will since it'll be 64 bit. A 32 bit app can't access more than 2GB Ram (unless FG is LARGEADDRESSAWARE... and I don't think it is... it would probably cause more problems than it would solve.)

But I guess my point was that if it was a memory issue due to the 32 bit limitation I would not expect to see it manifest more easily on a 16gig rig than, say, a 4gig rig. And then there is the fact that I don't think I've seen a report of this issue ever happening to the Host (only a client)... and I suspect that the Host is probably more memory intensive... so there may be something else at play.

celestian
June 23rd, 2017, 18:16
Yes, it will since it'll be 64 bit. A 32 bit app can't access more than 2GB Ram (unless FG is LARGEADDRESSAWARE... and I don't think it is... it would probably cause more problems than it would solve.)

But I guess my point was that if it was a memory issue due to the 32 bit limitation I would not expect to see it manifest more easily on a 16gig rig than, say, a 4gig rig. And then there is the fact that I don't think I've seen a report of this issue ever happening to the Host (only a client)... and I suspect that the Host is probably more memory intensive... so there may be something else at play.

I am not ruling out other areas but the snippet of code I added to apply the image on the token are the functions that are used for the effects/etc icons. There is only one conditional check in the code I added as well. That seems to limit where the problem can be.

LordEntrails
June 23rd, 2017, 20:21
Yes FG is large memory aware.
Clients are not as efficient dealing with images as the host is. i.e. I believe the client loads into memory all shared (or once onpened?) images, not just those open at the moment. This means as a GM we will not see problems that the players will see due to process size limits, therefore we have to be careful keep our campaigns "efficient".
Yes FGU will solve this, it will also wash my car every Thursday evening :)

Full Bleed
June 23rd, 2017, 23:32
This means as a GM we will not see problems that the players will see due to process size limits, therefore we have to be careful keep our campaigns "efficient".
I can't speak for anyone else who has run into the issue, but we were using FG's Curse of Stradh, so I can't put this on the GM's inefficient campaign (and I think the only other extension was a calendar).

Is there a standard method to actually measure "efficiency" while using FG? Like looking at the task bar and checking out process usage?

LordEntrails
June 23rd, 2017, 23:40
I can't speak for anyone else who has run into the issue, but we were using FG's Curse of Stradh, so I can't put this on the GM's inefficient campaign (and I think the only other extension was a calendar).

Is there a standard method to actually measure "efficiency" while using FG? Like looking at the task bar and checking out process usage?
On the player side, it's really about process size. This can easily be viewed. On Windows, just pull up Task Manager (right click on task bar) and go to the process tab. Look for fantasygrounds.exe (sort by process size is easiest). If that exceeds 3gb on a player's computer, then they are getting close (I forget the exact limit).

The other part to remember is about how much data gets shared and the bandwidth needed to share it. That's usually just a performance issue and is totally bandwidth (throughput, latency, contention/quality) dependent.

Vishera
June 24th, 2017, 11:43
I haven't seen any errors, it works perfectly on my end. hmm

LordEntrails
June 24th, 2017, 18:38
Going to spring this on my players tomorrow. I'm sure they are going to like it :)

Will let you know if we encounter any problems.

Gwydion
June 25th, 2017, 16:08
Used this last night and players loved it. No clipboard errors to begin with but partway through the session some of the players did have script errors which popped up.....

Trenloe
June 25th, 2017, 21:17
Used this last night and players loved it. No clipboard errors to begin with but partway through the session some of the players did have script errors which popped up.....
And what did those errors say?

Gwydion
June 25th, 2017, 23:12
And what did those errors say?

Just finished a session and one of the players sent me an email with the error. He sent in email, but here is a recreation:

Runtime Error: D3DXCreateTexture failed - [4294967276] - D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET - D3DPOOL_DEFAULT - D3DERR_OUTOFVID

It didn't happen every time. It seemed like with new encounters it would work for a couple of deaths and then throw errors again.

LordEntrails
June 26th, 2017, 01:29
Used it today with no errors. Players loved it and quickly noticed the 'fallen as if dead' label. Would love it if there was an option to leave the blood splat behind when the NPC is removed from the CT though. Would map the map nice and bloody!

Trenloe
June 26th, 2017, 02:16
Just finished a session and one of the players sent me an email with the error. He sent in email, but here is a recreation:

Runtime Error: D3DXCreateTexture failed - [4294967276] - D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET - D3DPOOL_DEFAULT - D3DERR_OUTOFVID

It didn't happen every time. It seemed like with new encounters it would work for a couple of deaths and then throw errors again.
These are Direct3D video errors. Is that last D3DERR_OUTOFVID truncated? I'm guessing it is actually D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY.

Info on these errors here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb172554(v=vs.85).aspx

It's more than likely that the video card on the computer doesn't have much memory available - either the player is running a very large screen/app resolution or their graphics card just doesn't have much memory available to start with.

Gwydion
June 26th, 2017, 02:23
[U]
These are Direct3D video errors. Is that last D3DERR_OUTOFVID truncated? I'm guessing it is actually D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY.

Info on these errors here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb172554(v=vs.85).aspx

It's more than likely that the video card on the computer doesn't have much memory available - either the player is running a very large screen/app resolution or their graphics card just doesn't have much memory available to start with.

Ok. Cool. I'll have to see if the error is truncated. So, not necessarily on my end as the DM, but rather theirs, right?

Trenloe
June 26th, 2017, 02:56
So, not necessarily on my end as the DM, but rather theirs, right?
Absolutely.

Vishera
June 26th, 2017, 04:46
Glad it worked out. I've been playing with it and haven't experienced any errors. As far as leaving them behind, I'm not sure how that would work. I know there is an extension for SW that does it, but this script isn't equipped with that. If someone figures that out, I'd love them forever ;)

Full Bleed
June 26th, 2017, 17:59
I'd be more inclined to be looking at:

1) How this particular asset is being rendered in FG (in particular, how it's being buffered differently that other assets) or
2) Driver update.

The memory usage of this tiny overlay is not likely to be the straw that breaks this particular camel's back. If it was just your run-of-the-mill "out of memory" error, it would be far more likely to happen with a larger asset and more likely to happen more often in other situations (because this would be indicative of the user skating on a pretty thin line). And, remember, were talking about *multiple* users from this group.

Moon Wizard
June 26th, 2017, 18:58
I don't think this is specifically an out of memory condition caused by the desired logic of the extension. My guess is either that the system having the problems is on the edge anyway due to token/map/module sharing, or that the extension has an endless loop condition creating death indicators until it errors out. I haven't looked at the extension specifically, so just brainstorming as places to check.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
June 26th, 2017, 20:56
... that the extension has an endless loop condition creating death indicators until it errors out....
Those dang kobolds just won't stop bleeding! You can't imagine how many quarts of blood one of those little things has in it!!

Gwydion
June 26th, 2017, 21:28
I don't think this is specifically an out of memory condition caused by the desired logic of the extension. My guess is either that the system having the problems is on the edge anyway due to token/map/module sharing, or that the extension has an endless loop condition creating death indicators until it errors out. I haven't looked at the extension specifically, so just brainstorming as places to check.

Regards,
JPG

I'm wondering if it is the endless loop condition. I say that for a few reasons. My Saturday night game was a one-shot. Brand new campaign and although I shared a few maps with the players, none of them were crazy large. I also didn't share much of any tokens with them, I normally don't. The blood spatter worked fine early in the session. It wasn't until later until some (I don't think all) began having issues. On my Sunday game, everyone did have issues and, although they all have high-powered machines with strong graphics card, it COULD be related to the fact that we are getting farther into POTA and I have a lot of maps shared. I might unshare some of the earlier maps in the campaign to see if that has an impact. We will see! Oh, and interestingly, in the POTA game it felt like for each new encounter there would be no errors to start and then mid-way through the encounter the errors would start. Someone in my stream speculated that it happened when the "dying" npc had an effect on them (ie. hunters mark applied to them), but I can't confirm that is the case...

Trenloe
June 26th, 2017, 23:10
Please get the players to copy the errors from the Console and pass them on to this thread.

Gwydion
June 26th, 2017, 23:11
Please get the players to copy the errors from the Console and pass them on to this thread.

Will do.

dellanx
June 29th, 2017, 13:03
Does this work with pathfinder rule set?

LordEntrails
June 29th, 2017, 14:56
Unknown. No one has yet to try it on PF and report back here.

Trenloe
June 29th, 2017, 15:25
There would be minor issues as the main script used scripts\manager_token2.lua has differences between the 5E code (used to create this extension) and the 3.5E/PF code.

For example, the 5E code doesn't have a nonlethal damage handler - so 3.5E/PF creatures defeated by excessive nonlethal damage wouldn't trigger the defeated marker.

Plus, the 5E code uses a call to ActorManager2.getPercentWounded2 which does not exist in 3.5E/PF which would raise errors and break the extension.

It would be best if someone created a 3.5E/PF specific version of this. Shouldn't be much work as the code is pretty close. Given permission from the extension author of course!

GainunX
June 29th, 2017, 17:18
An option to disable it would be interesting, say, for example, when the fight is with skeletons or ghosts ...

hawkwind
June 29th, 2017, 20:23
or trolls :)

LordEntrails
June 29th, 2017, 20:42
or trolls :)
Trolls and zombies are probably why the mouse hint says something like "Fallen as is dead" Then all you have to do as the DM is given them back a few hitpoints when they regen or recover and the marked gets removed and the players are like "What! Did you forget to stuff the troll with cheese?"

dellanx
June 29th, 2017, 22:36
Unknown. No one has yet to try it on PF and report back here.

It is not detected by Pathfinder.

Trenloe
June 29th, 2017, 22:37
It is not detected by Pathfinder.
Correct, it is specifically set to 5E.

dellanx
June 29th, 2017, 22:40
Correct, it is specifically set to 5E.

Any chance of an extension like that for Pathfinder?

LordEntrails
June 30th, 2017, 01:28
Any chance of an extension like that for Pathfinder?
It would take someone who plays PF to step up and see about creating such an extension, these are all made by volunteer community members. You might find someone in the PF forum who would be interested or if you are interested, then after talking to Celestian and Vishera you would need to start with the FG Developer Guides (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guides) and then looking at what Trenloe said in post #35.

Any questions or problems run into would then best be discussed in the Workshop forum.

dellanx
June 30th, 2017, 02:27
It would take someone who plays PF to step up and see about creating such an extension, these are all made by volunteer community members. You might find someone in the PF forum who would be interested or if you are interested, then after talking to Celestian and Vishera you would need to start with the FG Developer Guides (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guides) and then looking at what Trenloe said in post #35.

Any questions or problems run into would then best be discussed in the Workshop forum.

Thanks

BenShields01
July 8th, 2017, 10:46
I took Celestian's extension and modified it (with his permission) so that it will randomly produce a blood splat image over any creature's token the dies. It will choose randomly from 10 different images.
If the PC takes equal wounds too their HP, it will produce a "splat" on them as well. If they are healed the splat will remove itself.

Feel free to change the images to anything you like.
I haven't tested this on any other rulesets but 5e, but if you find it works on any other Core version, let me know.

Screenshot:

Original extension by Celestian can be found HERE (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38059-5E-Map-Indicator-for-Death)

Can I get a quick explanation on how i would go about changing the images? Please.

LordEntrails
July 8th, 2017, 16:33
Can I get a quick explanation on how i would go about changing the images? Please.
Welcome to the forums :)
1) rename the .mod to .zip
2) Open/extract the folder
3) In the images folder, replace the images with new ones (if you don't want to edit the xml files this is easiest), keep them the same name and size etc
4) re-zip the content of the folder (do not zip the entire folder, contents only!)

Gwydion
July 17th, 2017, 14:09
So, I stopped using this as the players kept getting script errors and sometimes were telling me they saw the blood splatter and sometimes they didn't (even though I did all the time). I kept meaning to have them send me the errors again (I posted some earlier), but just decided to stop using it. Well, after a running a session yesterday where everything on my end was moving incredibly slowly I did a few things. 1) updated my nvidia graphics driver; 2) I went into the nvidia control panel and set up fantasy grounds to run on the nvidia processor by default; 3) I changed the settings in the nvidia control panel consistent with another thread to turn off anti-aliasing, etc... Its difficult to test completely without getting into a game to really see how it performs, but things seem to be much more snappy this morning. I think I will try this extension again now and see if my changes effected its performance.

Gwydion
July 28th, 2017, 13:25
This is an update from my comments about the script errors the players were seeing. I ran our POTA session last night and everything worked awesome! I think the culprit was that my video card was defaulting to the integrated graphics card and not my geforce card. After I set a rule to always use my geforce card for fantasy grounds, it seems to work just fine now! Thanks again for an awesome extension!

Full Bleed
August 7th, 2017, 09:15
We tried using this version of this mod this last week and two of the 4 players playing had the script errors:

Runtime Error: D3DXCreateTexture failed - (4294967276,4294967276) - D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET - D3DPOOL_DEFAULT - D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY

It would work a few times and then start throwing the error every time something died and triggered the effect. The image would not show, but we'd know we killed something when the error window popped up. ;) It would repeatedly display the error until the image was removed from the screen (not quite like a hard loop though)... So it must be redrawing the image quite a bit after calling it. My graphics card has 2 gigs and the other player's graphics card has 4 gigs.

This is an update from my comments about the script errors the players were seeing. I ran our POTA session last night and everything worked awesome! I think the culprit was that my video card was defaulting to the integrated graphics card and not my geforce card. After I set a rule to always use my geforce card for fantasy grounds, it seems to work just fine now! Thanks again for an awesome extension!
How are you setting that rule? My motherboard has an integrated graphics card but it's disabled at the BIOS and there are certainly no drivers installed for it so I don't know how this could be the problem... but I'll look into it.

Gwydion
August 7th, 2017, 13:25
We tried using this version of this mod this last week and two of the 4 players playing had the script errors:

It would work a few times and then start throwing the error every time something died and triggered the effect. The image would not show, but we'd know we killed something when the error window popped up. ;) It would repeatedly display the error until the image was removed from the screen (not quite like a hard loop though)... So it must be redrawing the image quite a bit after calling it. My graphics card has 2 gigs and the other player's graphics card has 4 gigs.

How are you setting that rule? My motherboard has an integrated graphics card but it's disabled at the BIOS and there are certainly no drivers installed for it so I don't know how this could be the problem... but I'll look into it.

Well, I thought this was fixed for me but I think I'm going to disable it again for a while. I ran two sessions this weekend. One 6-hr session Saturday and a 3-hr session on Sunday. On Saturday it didn't work early in the game for the players (but no script errors were reported). On Sunday, it didn't work early on and started to work later in the session such that 2 of 3 players saw it and one didn't and received the script error messages I attached as a file here.

Note. I always saw the blood splatter every time. Not sure what else to try so I think I'll disable this until I hear something different. Still love the extension!

celestian
August 7th, 2017, 15:51
Well, I thought this was fixed for me but I think I'm going to disable it again for a while. I ran two sessions this weekend. One 6-hr session Saturday and a 3-hr session on Sunday. On Saturday it didn't work early in the game for the players (but no script errors were reported). On Sunday, it didn't work early on and started to work later in the session such that 2 of 3 players saw it and one didn't and received the script error messages I attached as a file here.

Note. I always saw the blood splatter every time. Not sure what else to try so I think I'll disable this until I hear something different. Still love the extension!

I'm curious, does this happen with the extension I put out as well?

The script error occurs on your end or theirs or both?

Do you enable the health bars and effect icons on tokens as well? I ask because this is the same call those use pretty much.

Gwydion
August 7th, 2017, 16:22

Do you enable the health bars and effect icons on tokens as well? I ask because this is the same call those use pretty much.

Hey celestian. I'm actually going back to your original extension to check that for my next session. The short answer is I don't know if it occurs with your original extension as I haven't tried it in a while. As to your other questions, for the blood splatter extension, the script error occurs only on the players side and not all players, just some players. I enable the health bars on player tokens only and the health "dot" on the monster tokens. I show ally health effects as icons but have this off for enemy health effects. For "view-health" non-ally I use "status" and for "view wound categories" I used "detailed".

I'll try this again with your original death indicator extension and keep you posted. Not sure if I'll have a chance to run a game this week or not. If I don't, I might see if someone can jump on my table and help me check. Thanks again for a wonderful extension!

LordEntrails
August 7th, 2017, 17:02
FYI, I ran this extension last night with no problems reported anywhere. The name and date of the extension is "Death Indicator 2.0.ext" 6/22/2017.

I don't believe we were running any other extensions and not sure what theme and decals (in case any of that matters). Let m eknow if I can provide any other info to help.

Trenloe
August 7th, 2017, 17:08
I think this is something to look into.

Celestian's extension had a single indicator token file at 486x597 pixels, and the texture was pretty uniform. The blood splats cycles around 10 different tokens with the same size of 486x567 pixels, but with more complex textures.

LordEntrails
August 7th, 2017, 18:47
I think this is something to look into.

Celestian's extension had a single indicator token file at 486x597 pixels, and the texture was pretty uniform. The blood splats cycles around 10 different tokens with the same size of 486x567 pixels, but with more complex textures.

Those are some pretty big token files. Maybe enough to put someone over process size limit or cause issues? Aren't most character tokens less than 150x150? Might it make sense to reduce those somewhat?

celestian
August 7th, 2017, 19:00
Those are some pretty big token files. Maybe enough to put someone over process size limit or cause issues? Aren't most character tokens less than 150x150? Might it make sense to reduce those somewhat?

I was thinking about that when I was reading this. I left the image the size of I got from the open source image site not even thinking. I've not had any issues with mine so didn't cross my mind.

Gwydion you could try reducing the size of the image and see.

I'm going to test using 150x184 and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't break anything I'll update my extension.

Gwydion
August 7th, 2017, 19:19
I was thinking about that when I was reading this. I left the image the size of I got from the open source image site not even thinking. I've not had any issues with mine so didn't cross my mind.

Gwydion you could try reducing the size of the image and see.

I'm going to test using 150x184 and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't break anything I'll update my extension.

Sounds good. Thanks, guys. I can go in and crack it open and reduce the file size.

celestian
August 7th, 2017, 19:32
Sounds good. Thanks, guys. I can go in and crack it open and reduce the file size.

Actually if you want to just test mine (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38059-5E-Map-Indicator-for-Death)I changed that.

If it works I'm sure this one can be fixed also.

Gwydion
August 7th, 2017, 19:36
Actually if you want to just test mine (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38059-5E-Map-Indicator-for-Death)I changed that.

If it works I'm sure this one can be fixed also.

Perfect will try and test tonight if possible. Thanks again.

Full Bleed
August 7th, 2017, 21:36
Yes.

This has only occurred with (multiple) players in our group.

Yes. Both health indicators and effects are showing on the tokens.

mythikwolf
August 27th, 2017, 23:07
I actually just saw this issue last night with 2 of my players. One was on a PC and one was on a Mac.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/284829566411866116/351225034154704906/Screen_Shot_2017-08-26_at_10.56.53_PM.png

The Mac User send me the errors.

MythikWolf

Patou
September 2nd, 2017, 00:14
So which one works and which one doesn't? That extension is absolutely awesome! I'm also getting the errors. I unfortunatly don't know which version I have? where to look?

Vishera
September 2nd, 2017, 01:35
So which one works and which one doesn't? That extension is absolutely awesome! I'm also getting the errors. I unfortunatly don't know which version I have? where to look?

what errors are you getting? I'm getting none.

skj310
September 15th, 2017, 12:53

Howdy there everyone. Am looking to see if this has been solved? My players are also seeing this same error as reported by mythikwolf:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/284829566411866116/351225034154704906/Screen_Shot_2017-08-26_at_10.56.53_PM.png

I can say that of 5 players, 3 experienced these very same errors. As well I can also say that for sure, a majority of the tokens are larger than 150x184. So i'm wondering if this is because my token images are too large and must be reduced, or because i've enabled the health dot and effect icons?

Yujin
September 25th, 2017, 13:10
Hello. Sorry for the google translator. I took a boldness to update your Token Death Indicator, now it is supported in the new version of FG.

skj310
November 17th, 2017, 01:46
Hi Yujin,
Was running a session last night using the extension from the immediate thread above (BTW thanks for this extension, my players love the blood splatters).

The same issue has returned as mentioned 2 threads up (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38863-Token-Death-Indicator-2-0-BLOOD-SPLATS!&p=354634&viewfull=1#post354634). The issue has returned after this latest patch (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41097-Released-Updates-on-11-14-2017).

skj310
November 29th, 2017, 10:28
Perfect will try and test tonight if possible. Thanks again.

Hey there Gwydion ... did you reduce the size to 150x150 and that fixed your problem?

Gwydion
November 29th, 2017, 13:01
Hey there Gwydion ... did you reduce the size to 150x150 and that fixed your problem?

I did not. I have since stopped using some extensions that I thought were conflicting. I can’t confirm that was the issue but it seems to work for me now. I don’t using the advanced effects extension of the player effect removal extension. I’m the last few sessions I have not heard of issues with my players.

Waldbaer
December 5th, 2017, 20:14
Hey everyone,

I just wonder - is this thing now really updated to the newest version of FG? I just wonder as the original creator was not commenting it until today. Would be great to know that as this extension broke some of my games already - but I would love to use it again. Nothing goes over nice blood on tokens *lol*

Thanks for commenting!

Gwydion
December 5th, 2017, 20:51
Hey everyone,

I just wonder - is this thing now really updated to the newest version of FG? I just wonder as the original creator was not commenting it until today. Would be great to know that as this extension broke some of my games already - but I would love to use it again. Nothing goes over nice blood on tokens *lol*

Thanks for commenting!

I've been using the download from post #65 and have not had an issue recently. However, I have really reduced the extensions I'm running as I believe their might be some conflicts with other extensions I use but I'm not 100% sure. The extensions I don't use in-game anymore are the player effect removal extension and the advanced effects extension. Please don't use my post as proof there are conflicts, I'm just stating what I am doing right now and it seems to be working for me.

celestian
December 5th, 2017, 23:16
I've been using the download from post #65 and have not had an issue recently. However, I have really reduced the extensions I'm running as I believe their might be some conflicts with other extensions I use but I'm not 100% sure. The extensions I don't use in-game anymore are the player effect removal extension and the advanced effects extension. Please don't use my post as proof there are conflicts, I'm just stating what I am doing right now and it seems to be working for me.

It's strictly a memory thing. If you're using fewer maps/imagies and tokens you'll have less of a problem. I have issues when I'm running only the RIP indicators (updated for current release) and nothing else.

Until FGU comes out I think it's just going to be a problem so I only use DM side indicators (which arent a problem).

Gwydion
December 6th, 2017, 13:56
It's strictly a memory thing. If you're using fewer maps/imagies and tokens you'll have less of a problem. I have issues when I'm running only the RIP indicators (updated for current release) and nothing else.

Until FGU comes out I think it's just going to be a problem so I only use DM side indicators (which arent a problem).

Yeah, that makes sense. I try to keep those down as well and it might be that that has helped "fix" this for me and not any perceived module conflict. What do you mean by "DM side indicators"? Color me intrigued....

Yujin
December 8th, 2017, 10:08
It's very strange, it still works. I attached again new file.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21688&stc=1&d=1512727705

Gwydion
December 8th, 2017, 13:21
It's very strange, it still works. I attached again new file.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21688&stc=1&d=1512727705

Yeah.. Used it last night with 5 players. Only one player had any issues with error. I think to Celestian's point, it is just a video memory issue, not an extension issue when the errors arise.

Trenloe
December 8th, 2017, 18:49
I think to Celestian's point, it is just a video memory issue, not an extension issue when the errors arise.
If you're getting D3D (DirectX 3D) Out of Video memory errors, then, yes - this will be an issue with the local video driver, graphics card/video memory. Especially if some people see them and some don't when viewing the same image/s.

Patou
January 6th, 2018, 15:32
If you're getting D3D (DirectX 3D) Out of Video memory errors, then, yes - this will be an issue with the local video driver, graphics card/video memory. Especially if some people see them and some don't when viewing the same image/s.

That is most likely my problem. Default graphic card in my laptop...

damned
January 6th, 2018, 22:41
That is most likely my problem. Default graphic card in my laptop...

But its probably work-around-able by managing the content that you (or the GM) is sharing.
Get rid of all the excess tokens.
Dont share any GM reference books.
Dont share every resource you have just because you have them.
Keep maps to under 2mb and images under 1mb.
Keep maps to under 2048x2048px and images under 800x800px.

celestian
January 6th, 2018, 23:02
Get rid of all the excess tokens.
Dont share any GM reference books.
Dont share every resource you have just because you have them.
Keep maps to under 2mb and images under 1mb.
Keep maps to under 2048x2048px and images under 800x800px.

That right there is why I REALLLLLLLLY want FGU. I feel so confined when using maps.

skj310
January 7th, 2018, 02:16
Totally agree Celestian!!! Bring on x64! :)

damned
January 7th, 2018, 03:01
Totally agree Celestian!!! Bring on x64! :)

TBH I dont think that 64bit is really the issue here.
The current game engine isnt very efficient in the way it uses memory for graphics.
A more efficient game engine rather than more memory is the preferred solution.

Will it really help with the GM having a 64bit system with 16GB of ram when one or more players only has 4GB?
IMO 64bit itself is not the solution.

Bidmaron
January 7th, 2018, 03:10
T
Will it really help with the GM having a 64bit system with 16GB of ram when one or more players only has 4GB?.

Yes, because there is virtual memory and folks aren't limited to their RAM (nor are they now, but the address space limits even how much virtual memory you can have).

I am not disagreeing that a more efficient engine will help, but even if they simply duplicate the current engine in the FGU platform, it will solve many problems.

Bandwitdth, however, it won't solve. So people will still have to be careful about how much they share at any one time.

damned
January 7th, 2018, 03:50
Yes, because there is virtual memory and folks aren't limited to their RAM (nor are they now, but the address space limits even how much virtual memory you can have).

I am not disagreeing that a more efficient engine will help, but even if they simply duplicate the current engine in the FGU platform, it will solve many problems.

Bandwitdth, however, it won't solve. So people will still have to be careful about how much they share at any one time.

I dont agree. Duplicating the same engine on 64bit will see a whole swag of issues from players on lower end computers. Swap drive performance is terrible. Storing 2000 small tokens is likely to cause issues in FG. A redesign where it only loads those that are used might see that 200MB RAM be reduced to 20MB. The current engine has significant RAM challenged when using big images. Simply throwing more RAM at a solution that really doesnt require more RAM is a poor solution. What about the 25-35% of computers out there that are not 64bit? Of course its quite possible that the Unity engine is also poor at handling the types of image data that FG uses... I hope not. Its not really an issue for me as I choose to load efficient image sizes and resolutions but plenty of people do want bigger...

Bidmaron
January 7th, 2018, 04:09
damned, I didn't say performance would be good. But at least FG won't bomb as it does now. And I am not advocating duplicating a poor engine. I am just making the point that if that is all they do, it will save many problems, such as the one where the program bombs once it hits the 32 bit memory limit. Well, maybe not many problems, but it will solve the one that wipes out the program.

Swap drive performance is not very terrible if you have an SSD, by the way.

As for the computers that aren't 64 bit, well I presume they will have a fat binary with both versions or maybe a separate 32 bit version. But, you are very right that if you have a player that is running 32 bits and you bust the 32 bit memory limit, then they will have a problem.

I have to believe that FGU is a more efficient framework than whatever they are using now.

celestian
January 7th, 2018, 06:33
I just want to be able to have bigger maps. 2000x2000 at 50px or 100px is tiny tiny tiny ;( Most of my maps also just don't have that great of resolution because of the same limits ;(

Patou
January 7th, 2018, 13:34
Something I found cool in the Well of Dragons section of Rise of Tiamat were the links to each map tunnel from one map to the other. This way maps were smaller, detailed, and the DM could easily link them during play.

I do admit that having everything on a single map image is fun but this works too.
:)

Bidmaron
January 7th, 2018, 13:41
I just want to be able to have bigger maps. 2000x2000 at 50px or 100px is tiny tiny tiny ;( Most of my maps also just don't have that great of resolution because of the same limits ;(

64 bit FGU should solve that. If you have players using 32 bit, that could still be a problem.

Bandwidth could then be an issue, making it even more important that guys log in early and sync up before the game.

LordEntrails
January 7th, 2018, 15:48
I've got one outdoor map I have to run at 10px/5ft. It's not pretty but it does the job.

celestian
January 7th, 2018, 23:14
I've got one outdoor map I have to run at 10px/5ft. It's not pretty but it does the job.

I've got a large city map (Endhome) that I have to do the same with. It looks terrible to me ;( It works tho. 9000x12000 is the size it looks best ;)

LordEntrails
January 7th, 2018, 23:43
I've got a large city map (Endhome) that I have to do the same with. It looks terrible to me ;( It works tho. 9000x12000 is the size it looks best ;)
*shrugs* Mine's a village so it's mostly just identifying the road, the trees and the buildings. For your use, you can use a low res map to keep track of where the party is and then post the high res on a website or cloud share somewhere and then just post the link to it for the players. Then use small local maps for combat or encounters where needed.

in some ways it's not just an FG thing. Because even after FGU, some images are going to have bandwidth issues and RAM requirements that not all computers and internet connections are going to deal happily with.

We just have to learn to accept limitations and do what we can.

celestian
January 7th, 2018, 23:46
in some ways it's not just an FG thing. Because even after FGU, some images are going to have bandwidth issues and RAM requirements that not all computers and internet connections are going to deal happily with.

Do people really have bandwidth issues these days? None of the people I game with have less than 50meg down. I think that's probably a negligible concern. There will certainly be people out in the boonies but even there you can get 3meg downloads and they have to already be used to things being slower than everyone else ;)

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2018, 00:20
Do people really have bandwidth issues these days? None of the people I game with have less than 50meg down. I think that's probably a negligible concern. There will certainly be people out in the boonies but even there you can get 3meg downloads and they have to already be used to things being slower than everyone else ;)
Yes they do. I don't, but most of the world does. I game with FG with people in Asia and Australia in major cities with relatively good (locally relative) connections that have problems with bandwidth when the images are less than 1MB. There's a thread around somewhere from 2017 discussing this in detail and with charts/links to worldwide download speeds. Plus remember, FG is especially enticing for those out in the boonies, because they can't play face-to-face even if they wanted to. I don't remember, but I think it might have even included some info about FG users' download speeds.

Things will get better. One of the things I'm looking forward to with FGU is better networking and sharing. With things single-threaded right now it means FG often "hangs" and hopefully that will almost always go away.

damned
January 8th, 2018, 00:35
Its common in AUS to have UPLOAD speeds of less than 1mbps. Common as in more than 50% of the population has this...

Zacchaeus
January 8th, 2018, 01:00
Its common in AUS to have UPLOAD speeds of less than 1mbps. Common as in more than 50% of the population has this...
1Mbs? Luxury! My downlod speed doesn’t even get to half that so you can imagine what my upload is.

Bidmaron
January 8th, 2018, 03:23
Hey, FGU is not truly multi-threaded, Lord. MW educated us on that at some point. I cannot locate the post in the pages, but I think it's in here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22089-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-engine/page39) somewhere.

damned
January 8th, 2018, 03:30
Hey, FGU is not truly multi-threaded, Lord. MW educated us on that at some point. I cannot locate the post in the pages, but I think it's in here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22089-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-engine/page39) somewhere.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38475-The-road-forward-64-bit-multithreading&p=339564&viewfull=1#post339564

Bidmaron
January 8th, 2018, 03:46
Man, I suck at searches. But thanks for finding it, damned.

Frank_Jager
January 11th, 2018, 23:36
Anyone else getting this error?

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_token2.lua"]:391: attempt to index field 'original' (a nil value)

Its both DM side and playerside. Any ideas on what im doing wrong?

LordEntrails
January 12th, 2018, 00:33

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_token2.lua"]:391: attempt to index field 'original' (a nil value)

Usually that error indicates an out of date extension or a combination of extensions that are not compatible with each other. Can you verify you are running the latest version of this extension and all other extensions are turned off?

Trenloe
January 12th, 2018, 17:29

Script errors are usually due to old extensions or incompatible extensions as LordEntrails mentioned.

If you do as he suggests, but still get the errors, then remove all tokens from the map and re-add them. See if that fixes the issue.

celestian
January 12th, 2018, 19:59
Script errors are usually due to old extensions or incompatible extensions as LordEntrails mentioned.

If you do as he suggests, but still get the errors, then remove all tokens from the map and re-add them. See if that fixes the issue.

I'm 99% certian this is because he's using a pre-3.3.3 version of the mod. Either that or the author never updated it. Since it's based on mine (that I did fix) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38059-5E-Map-Indicator-for-Death) I recognize the error.

Frank_Jager
January 14th, 2018, 12:38
I have what is supposed to be the Latest version of both this extension and FG

I can confirm that it is not effected by removing ad replacing tokens on the map.
It affects PCs and NPCs alike.

I am running a fair few extensions... could be a clash. I'll test

Patou
January 14th, 2018, 15:11
I found a different easy way to indicate npc death. Simply open your token folder and pull up a saved blood splat or other death like token you have in your symbol set and replace the token in your combat tracker:) Voila for now!

My laptop can't hack the blood splats.. getting old. Had to work my way around it but it would be awesome to have a default death change in appearance of your token in the Fantasy Grounds software for the next update:)

Still love FG!!!! There is always a way..."oh yeah!!"

Kibri_Oakbright
May 7th, 2018, 21:44
Anyone else notice that this EXT is now blocking the TOKEN area in OPTIONS? Under OPTIONS (gearcog) scroll down to Token(GM). It seems this ext is now disabbling the options for Token: Show Alley Effects, Token: Show Alley Health, Token: Show Enemy Effects, Token: Show Enemy Health

Just curious if it is just myself or not? I am using the 5e ruleset

celestian
May 7th, 2018, 22:00
Anyone else notice that this EXT is now blocking the TOKEN area in OPTIONS? Under OPTIONS (gearcog) scroll down to Token(GM). It seems this ext is now disabbling the options for Token: Show Alley Effects, Token: Show Alley Health, Token: Show Enemy Effects, Token: Show Enemy Health

Just curious if it is just myself or not? I am using the 5e ruleset

I don't think the author is updating this. It was originally based on mine (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38059-5E-Map-Indicator-for-Death) which should be working with current versions of CoreRPG.

Kibri_Oakbright
May 7th, 2018, 22:13
Thank you Celestian, for your quick reply. I will install your version and go from there :)