PDA

View Full Version : Lord Entrail's Maps

LordEntrails
June 21st, 2017, 05:18
As I get back into learning and using Campaign Cartographer, I will be sharing those maps that I make. Note that critiques and advice are welcome.

License: You are free to use these for any non-commercial purposes.

Technical: These are all created using Campaign Cartographer 3+ (from ProFantasy (https://www.profantasy.com)) with nothing altered outside of CC. Unless otherwise stated, they are intended to be used at 10 pixels per foot (50 pixel grid). At the moment I have and use; CC3+, DD3, CD3, SS1, SS2, SS3, SS4.

EDIT: Updated with improved map.
EDIT: more maps starting on Post #12 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38853-Lord-Entrail-s-Maps&p=343443&viewfull=1#post343443)

dulux-oz
June 21st, 2017, 05:24
Nice!

Any chance of posting the raw .cc file(s)?

LordEntrails
June 21st, 2017, 05:33
For you Dulux? Of course. Updated first post. You will need SS4 and probably DD3 to get all the symbols.

LordEntrails
June 21st, 2017, 05:34
Oh, and it's actually the map that the SS4 tutorial walks you through creating.

dulux-oz
June 21st, 2017, 05:45
Oh, and it's actually the map that the SS4 tutorial walks you through creating.

Yeah, but I'm lazy :p

Thanks

Trenloe
June 21st, 2017, 05:47
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

One recommendation - take the extra time to learn the process of using a wall mask for the underground rooms. Pages 6-7 of the SS4 guide. This is a little weird at first, but it makes the walls of the underground rooms look so much better.

LordEntrails
June 21st, 2017, 05:54
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

One recommendation - take the extra time to learn the process of using a wall mask for the underground rooms. Pages 6-7 of the SS4 guide. This is a little weird at first, but it makes the walls of the underground rooms look so much better.

Thanks. I think that's related to the question I have open on the PF forums about the entrance. In the tutorial on pg 4 it just kind of jumps past how to make the entrance look good. I'll probably finish the tutorial tomorrow and will probably then update post 1 with the improvements.

LordEntrails
June 21st, 2017, 19:32
Updated with the wall mask. Well worth the time to learn! Lights are also configured in the CC file, but the Dungeons of Schley Lighting effects will need to be loaded (from SS4) unless you want to create your own light effects.
Note that there are also a pair of traps that are not shown on the jpg which are on the TRAPS layers and can be shown if desired.

I'm not thrilled with the transition/shadow/glow between the dirt and stone textures as part of the hill vut-away or how the path transitions into the cave, but I will probably not change those on this map.

astromath
June 22nd, 2017, 15:44
I can do all of the above just using OpenOffice Draw and exporting it as a jpg for FG to use. Here's an example I used for MythWeavers (for FG, I remove the letters and numbers):
https://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w530/astromath/W4%20Shrine%20to%20Baphomet_zpsf5yfurld.jpg (https://s1328.photobucket.com/user/astromath/media/W4%20Shrine%20to%20Baphomet_zpsf5yfurld.jpg.html)

Trenloe
June 22nd, 2017, 16:06
I can do all of the above just using OpenOffice Draw and exporting it as a jpg for FG to use.
Glad you can make maps the way you like them. IMHO this is nowhere near as nice as CC3 maps - no control of effects, shadows, masks, etc.. But that's just my opinion. :)

Anyway, I don't want this thread to devolve into which application or approach is better than which (there are other threads that cover this - please post there if you wish to debate merits of mapping apps and approaches). This thread is about LordEntrails sharing his maps. If you'd like to share any maps you make, which would be very welcome and we'd love to see your work, then please create a thread specificly to do that. Thanks.

Nice work LordEntrails! :)

Trenloe
June 22nd, 2017, 16:32
Updated with the wall mask. Well worth the time to learn!
Yeah, I remember going through the SS4 tutorial and thinking "Huh? What's all this? Seems a bit of a faff... Oooooohhhhh! That's why!" I wish I'd known about it when I did some cavern maps a few years ago. Those old ones just look flat by comparison.

LordEntrails
June 23rd, 2017, 23:22
Here's another map, what I created as I went through the Dungeon tutorial in the Tome of Ultimate Mapping. These use DD3 and the jpgs are at 8 px/ft (i.e. 40 pixel squares). The FCW file has the standard effects in it if you wish to turn those on and the lights off.

Madina Catacombs, both with "standard" CC3+ effects and then with DD3 effects from light sources :)

LordEntrails
June 24th, 2017, 01:58
Another tutorial map. This is a cave map with a an excavated entrance into something more... Forgot to do the wall mask, so you will have to deal :)
4 pixels/foot (20 pixel squares).

LordEntrails
June 24th, 2017, 03:39
This is the tutorial for creating an ice cave. It has lots of textures and transparencies used. It also reverses the normal process by instead of creating the corridors, you overlay the solid parts on the background.

Anyway, it's at 8 px/ft (40 pixel squares).

LordEntrails
June 27th, 2017, 23:07
So this one is a handout. It is actually based off a handrawn map from one of my groups going through Undermountain. I intend to place these as random treasure items/trinkets sprinkled threw the dungeon. Some will be on the level they pertain to, others not.

It's still pretty high res, so you may wish to reduce the resolution before sharing it with your players.

Thegroo
June 28th, 2017, 02:13
Thanks for sharing

LordEntrails
June 28th, 2017, 17:35
Here's another of the handout style maps (mistakes are intentional). Again, part of the first level of the Undermountain. Note, these are on "parchment" backgrounds I created myself. I did a quick tutorial (they are really easy to do) and posted a handful of textures if anyone wants them over on the Cartographer's Guild here (https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=38383).

LordEntrails
July 11th, 2017, 23:35
These are not mine, but wanted to share this link for those of you who don't follow the Cartographer's Guild.
https://www.rueink.com/illustrated-maps/

Ms. Rue is a exceptional artist who hand draws all her maps in ink. She has actually done a map on leather for Ed Greenwood :) She has hi-res versions on her maps in B&W that she shares on her website and it even seems you might be able to use them for "small commercial" projects, whatever that means :)

LordEntrails
May 15th, 2018, 18:59
Here are two portions of the Undermountain I've been doing, 'Black Banner Haunt' and "The Bone Throne'. Both are at 100 pixel squares (hallways, from outer edges of the red walls, are 10 feet wide).

LordEntrails
May 15th, 2018, 19:12
Oh, here's another Undermountain map I did and like;
(Sorry, no specific scale on this one, it was a screen grab! Again, walls are 10 ft wide.)

LordEntrails
August 6th, 2018, 22:12
Mad Man's release of some more maps reminded me I have this thread and should share a few more of my maps with everyone.
Note that these are all 100 pixels per 5ft square with a 0,0 offset (or you can use the corner of a wall, between the red and grey backgrounds to align a square).

Some dungeon rooms for your enjoyment and use;

LordEntrails
September 13th, 2018, 05:05
Here's a couple more from Ultimate Undermountain. Remember, these are at 100 pixels/5ft.

Mortar
September 13th, 2018, 14:39
Posting to make sure I get updates! Beautiful maps, thanks for sharing!

Skillkoil
September 13th, 2018, 15:15
Very well done! (Doing the same as Mortar)

LordEntrails
September 13th, 2018, 17:34
Well then, here are a couple more :)

Bidmaron
September 13th, 2018, 18:58
It sucks that you can’t assign reputation from the mobile browser

LordEntrails
September 13th, 2018, 22:51
It sucks that you can’t assign reputation from the mobile browser
That's ok, it's the thought that counts :)
And thanks to those who have rep'd me, appreciate it :)

LordEntrails
March 12th, 2019, 01:20
If you had noticed from the stream the bat colony map had the guano floating in mid-air. Here's the corrected version :)

LordEntrails
March 15th, 2019, 19:58
A goblin apprentice has found a small hideout in an unused hallway that was blocked with crates. The devious little guy is waiting for some band of adventurers to come and kill off the chieftain and shaman, so that he can then emerge and take leadership of the clan!

GavinRuneblade
March 16th, 2019, 08:16
What did you use to make these?

Targas
March 16th, 2019, 09:29
It looks like Campaign Cartographer 3+ ... together with Symbol Set 4 - Dungeons of Schley
Well, actually, if you would have spent some seconds to look at post #1 of this thread, you would have found it out by yourself....
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38853-Lord-Entrail-s-Maps&p=343093&viewfull=1#post343093

LordEntrails
March 16th, 2019, 17:54
What did you use to make these?

It looks like Campaign Cartographer 3+ ... together with Symbol Set 4 - Dungeons of Schley
Well, actually, if you would have spent some seconds to look at post #1 of this thread, you would have found it out by yourself....
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38853-Lord-Entrail-s-Maps&p=343093&viewfull=1#post343093

Yep :) The Undermountain maps (these similar maps in the last half+ of the thread) are all done at 100 pixels per 5ft square. They don't have grid alignment squares because they are part of a larger map of the entire Dungeon Level. But grid should be easy to align by using the grey corners of the hallways.

Not sure the first post also indicates, but I also use symbols from CSUAC2, Vintyri and Bogie mapping collections. All of which are available as install files for CC3+ on the ProFantasy forums.

I can't image doing this UM project using anything but a vector based mapping program, and CC is the only one I know of. You'll find earlier screen shots of the entire dungeon level. It's designed to be a 24x36 inch printable poster map (which if I remember correctly is 80 ft/inch), and then I use to it to generate the ~350 battle maps at 10 pixels per foot. For data nerds, their are currently 16,613 objects on the map (symbols, polygons, etc). And I'm almost done, my to do list is down to 80 items (mostly battle maps that I need to export or re-export the images for).

Varsuuk
March 16th, 2019, 19:39
Here's another of the handout style maps (mistakes are intentional). Again, part of the first level of the Undermountain. Note, these are on "parchment" backgrounds I created myself. I did a quick tutorial (they are really easy to do) and posted a handful of textures if anyone wants them over on the Cartographer's Guild here (https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=38383).

LOVE this idea and your parchment "found" maps :)

LordEntrails
March 16th, 2019, 23:23
LOVE this idea and your parchment "found" maps :)
Thanks :) those are actually not handdrawn. I did the "parchment as described in the link. But then I used the fractal line in CC to draw the segments. Turned off snap so things wouldn't be perfect and sometimes randomized the fractals and changed their properties (strength and # nodes) using the arrow keys. Then I put a texture and small blur effect so it looked like ink on a porous surface. Might sound hard, but was really really easy and quick to do.

LordEntrails
March 21st, 2019, 04:31
Are you sure you want to investigate that smell coming from behind that wall of crates?

LordEntrails
March 24th, 2019, 06:32
This large room has a high ceiling and giant stone statue of two dwarves in the center. They appear to be a male and female dwarf holding hands, but have been seriously damaged.

LordEntrails
March 26th, 2019, 04:19
I like the way the debris and rubbish came out in this cave. Another troglodyte lair, but in this case they are new comers, maybe having only 'laired' here for a few weeks or a month. Not nearly enough time to "decorate" the den to the standards of a reputable troglodyte.

Bidmaron
March 26th, 2019, 04:35
Nicely done, m’lord

LordEntrails
June 24th, 2019, 06:41
Here's a new map I put together for my campaign. This one is a hag's cottage in the Feywild. One wall is a portal in a basement of the Trollskull in the prime material plane, and the rest is in the Feywild, a region not controlled by either the Seelie or Unseelie courts so mostly influenced by the hag's presence.
50px/5ft, alignment grid in the top left.

Kelrugem
June 25th, 2019, 09:40
Here's a new map I put together for my campaign. This one is a hag's cottage in the Feywild. One wall is a portal in a basement of the Trollskull in the prime material plane, and the rest is in the Feywild, a region not controlled by either the Seelie or Unseelie courts so mostly influenced by the hag's presence.
50px/5ft, alignment grid in the top left.

Looks really nice :) I like the "3D effect" due to the fog because some tops of the trees are covered and some over are not :)

LordEntrails
June 25th, 2019, 17:56
Looks really nice :) I like the "3D effect" due to the fog because some tops of the trees are covered and some over are not :)
Thanks, and glad you noticed the fog. I actually put the fog on 3 different sheets, that way I could overlap them and get nicely blended densities as well as the effect you are mentioning:)

LordEntrails
June 26th, 2019, 05:39
For those of you running something in Waterdeep, The City of the Dead is an area that you might just need to have an encounter or two in. At least one of the faction missions in DoMM includes a fight in it. So, enjoy, and be warned, this is a 1.6MB file at 50 pixels per 5 ft square, alignment square in the top left.

seycyrus
June 26th, 2019, 13:14
Nice map. There are a host of critters packed into one building in the center. I am not sure if this is intentional or not, but is it possible to get a version without the critters?

This map also fills in a void that exists in the available material "out there" (at least to my experience). Large enough AND small enough so that one gets a sense of the city and it can be still used tactically, rather than just a visual reference ("See big tree next to the red bush? The blacksmith is right there").

This scale of map is very useful.

LordEntrails
June 26th, 2019, 16:17
That's not a building, that's a monument, "Warriors of Waterdeep". Not sure if it's canon or not, but found the reference to it here; https://oakthorne.net/wiki/index.php/City_of_the_Dead_of_Waterdeep and liked it. It seemed to add something of interest, i.e. not just another mausoleum.

Yea, I couldn't find one that was usable as a battle map, that's why I made one :) I referenced other Waterdeep maps so I should have the walls and building locations that match canon.

LordEntrails
November 22nd, 2019, 05:19
Here's another recent map I did. This one is for the Shrine of Asmodeus used with the Alexandrian Remix of Waterdeep Dragon Heist. Because the basement is so small, I put it on the same map as the main floor/map. Which makes it larger than normal, but should be ok. This map is at 100 pixels per 5 foot square.