PDA

View Full Version : Help

BadWolfBoz
June 21st, 2017, 00:11
So i downloaded the D&D basic character class pack... I really wanted to give this game a shot but for the life of me, can't figure out how to f&@!ing use it. The directions they give are garbage and this site is hard as hell to navigate... ANY help would be useful, ty.

Trenloe
June 21st, 2017, 00:23
Welcome to the forums BadWolfBoz.

Try this video to start, which goes through creating a character using the Core Class Pack (PHB) module: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurEMR4JJeU

There are plenty other videos in the Wiki to help get you going, as well as the User Guide which details various aspects of the Fantasy Grounds application.

As a FYI - you refer to Fantasy Grounds as a "game". That may just be terminology, but just in case you expect Fantasy Grounds to be a computer RPG that you just start up and play: this is not the case. Fantasy Grounds is what's known as a Virtual Table Top (VTT) which is used for playing pen-and-paper role-playing games with other people over the Internet. If you already knew this, I apologise - I thought it best to clarify this point now, just in case...

Otherwise, have a look at some of the videos, go through the user guide, have a play around. There are also plenty of videos on YouTube showing Fantasy Grounds in action, where RPG gaming groups are playing a session - check some of those out to get an idea of how FG can be used.

Come back with any questions you might have.

BadWolfBoz
June 21st, 2017, 00:50
Ive watched the video a few times.
1: when I open the modules in the library, there is nothing new there.
2: when I go to change the icon for my new PC there is a bag there titled D&D5E. When I click on it, it opens a bunch of bags labelled with races. When I open those up there are a bunch of portrait tiles, but the are all blank,

BadWolfBoz
June 21st, 2017, 00:53
I also get this
Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file DD Basic Rules - DM:definition.xml - Error on line 0: Error document empty.
Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file DD Basic Rules - Player:definition.xml - Error on line 0: Error document empty.
Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file DD PHB Deluxe:definition.xml - Error on line 0: Error document empty.
Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file DD5E SRD Bestiary:definition.xml - Error on line 0: Error document empty.
Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file DD5E SRD Data:definition.xml - Error on line 0: Error document empty.
Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file DD5E SRD Magic Items:definition.xml - Error on line 0: Error document empty.

Trenloe
June 21st, 2017, 01:07
1) Do you have a Fantasy Grounds license? You can't access any of the library material without FG being licensed. Check that the top right of the main FG launch screen - if you see v3.3.1 FREE then FG doesn't think you have a license. Make sure you enter you license key in the FG settings window and run an update.
2) If you see v3.3.1 or v3.3.1 ULTIMATE (depending on your license type) then there is probably an issue with your FG ID in the settings screen. See the info here for a fix: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38843-6-20-patch-update-issues&p=343031&viewfull=1#post343031

BadWolfBoz
June 21st, 2017, 02:51

Trenloe
June 21st, 2017, 05:37
OK, then you are showing a Standard License.

As mentioned above: there is probably an issue with your FG ID in the settings screen. See the info here for a fix: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38843-6-20-patch-update-issues&p=343031&viewfull=1#post343031