PDA

View Full Version : Spell Save DC?

MistahMoose
June 20th, 2017, 02:45
Maybe I'm doing this wrong, i've checked the wiki as well but the characters spell save dcs are all 10. Even when I set the spell modifier to wis?
8+Proficiency+Wis
8+2+3 for this character.. which isn't 10 XD

Please advise! Thank you :)

midas
June 20th, 2017, 04:06
I'm guessing this is for 5e (please remember to include your ruleset in your question if you're asking questions in a general section, or post the question in that ruleset's forum).

There's another post about this issue in the 5e forum from earlier this year: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36415-Spell-save-DCs-attack-bonus-not-calculating-properly/

The original poster never responded as to whether or not Trenloe's suggestions worked for him, but if you look at the forum it sounds like the character XML was bugged. There are suggestions there on how to try to fix it (as well as other questions such as if there are any other extensions loaded, trying in a new campaign, etc).

MistahMoose
June 20th, 2017, 04:12
Thanks, Was desperate so I didn't read the rules for posting. My b. Ill try this and post if it works

midas
June 20th, 2017, 04:14
No worries. Not a rule per se, just a general tip to ensure folks know what you're talking about. :) And welcome to the forums!

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2017, 11:13
Hi, MistahMoose and welcome to FG and to the community. Is the problem confined to just that character or can you create a new character and it works?

MistahMoose
June 20th, 2017, 14:53
Hi, MistahMoose and welcome to FG and to the community. Is the problem confined to just that character or can you create a new character and it works?

It works on new characters temporarily, but stops working if you change a stat or delete a spell. I was trying the XML things from the other thread but I'm not quite familiar enough. I'll have to take another look. Its not a huge deal, just convenient.

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2017, 15:37
It works on new characters temporarily, but stops working if you change a stat or delete a spell. I was trying the XML things from the other thread but I'm not quite familiar enough. I'll have to take another look. Its not a huge deal, just convenient.

This should not be happening. Once you have dragged in, say a Cleric, into the character sheet then FG should designate Wisdom as the Ability score for the purposes of casting spells. If you change the character's wisdom score either up or down the Spell Save DC should change in the actions tab to reflect that. Similarly adding or deleting a spell should have no effect on this at all since Wisdom has been designated as the ability and changing spells won't change that.
So, the first thing is are you using any extensions? If so can you start a new campaign without any extensions, create a new character using drag/drop, give the character a spell that requires a saving throw and then change the ability stat/delete the spell/add a spell etc to see if that all works. If it does then start adding in the extensions you are using until something breaks and you will have discovered the problem.

If you are not using extensions can you start a new campaign and give us a step by step guide as to how to reproduce the problem, since I've been trying out various scenarios and I can't find any problem.

MistahMoose
June 20th, 2017, 20:29
I made a video to try and explain, but it seems resolved after I removed and re-added extensions. Thank you all for the help

https://youtu.be/X8tY6mq74F8

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2017, 22:12
Yeah, I agree that those extensions should not be a problem. And I can't see from your video anything blatantly wrong.

All I can think of is that the character might have been chopped and changed. Like what I mean is that the player started as a Wizard and then changed his mind and made a Druid without starting a fresh character. That might have left some artefact which is causing the issue. If it happens again could you post the xml for the character so we can take a look at it to see if the problem can be identified.

MistahMoose
June 20th, 2017, 23:05
I'll be sure to. Thanks for all the help :)