PDA

View Full Version : Breaking large campaign into smaller adventures

Vishera
June 19th, 2017, 07:18
I am working on my custom campaign setting for 5e, and I just want to make sure I am going about this the most productive way.

So I have my main campaign setting which has a few maps and things that will always be available to use. I then want to open a module per-adventure (Adventure 1, Adventure 2, Adventure 3, and so on.) I started working on Adventure 1, and I exported it into it's own module. I then want to create Adventure 2. If I use the same "campaign" to create A2, I would need to delete everything I created for A1, otherwise when I export it, it would have all the extra story stuff, images, etc.

But then if I want to go back and add to A1, I can't because I had to delete it all. So would it be best to create a whole new "campaign" for each adventure, that way I can always go back and add to it, or is there some way I can continue adding more to the adventure? So far the only thing I could think of is having to add to it via XML once I've exported and removed the data.. Or am I missing something, a more productive way to handle this? I wish there were a way I could just create everything in 1 "campaign" and select which groups to export to use as modules.

Here's an image for reference how I want to set it all up.

Callum
June 19th, 2017, 12:05
When you export to a module, you can drag-and-drop individual story entries, images, etc, into the export window in order to just include the ones you want in the exported module (as opposed to ticking the circle, which exports all items of the given type). So this is a possible way of doing what you want. However, I would still recommend creating each adventure in its own campaign - I think you'll find this easier in the long run. If you need general maps available as well as individual adventures, you can export those as their own module(s), and then have them open as well as the adventure module when you're playing.

Trenloe
June 19th, 2017, 15:45
Yep, as Callum says, make a "module making" campaign for each module you plan to create. This allows you to go back and update specific modules without losing the data that created them.

LordEntrails
June 19th, 2017, 19:18
Yep, create one "development" campaign for every module you are going to create. If you haven't read it yet, I suggest you read the attachment here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

lordjeb
June 19th, 2017, 22:49
I think it would be useful to have a "campaign setting" module as well. Nothing specific to a given adventure, but details about the land, types of people, cities, customs, calendars, etc.

Vishera
June 20th, 2017, 07:25
I think it would be useful to have a "campaign setting" module as well. Nothing specific to a given adventure, but details about the land, types of people, cities, customs, calendars, etc.

This I have. The actual setting module has maps and general things that will always be used regardless of the current adventure.

Vishera
June 20th, 2017, 07:26
Sounds good all, Separate "campaigns" it is. I just wanted to make sure I was attacking this the right way and not wasting time if there were a faster way.

LordEntrails
June 20th, 2017, 15:21
Sounds good all, Separate "campaigns" it is. I just wanted to make sure I was attacking this the right way and not wasting time if there were a faster way.
Yep, you got the right process/structure. But I agree with you, better to ask up front then to suffer later :)