PDA

View Full Version : Adding a modifier

cresley
January 23rd, 2006, 15:14
My group and I finally got FG this weekend.
Several of us did a trial/dry run Saturday.
It was very smooth. No problems connected from EU to KC to local machine, very smooth. The PDF works well to answer most questions.
The maps looked outstanding. Simple scan, convert, add. Would be nice if the end clients could zoom on the map themselves, but I can live with that.

Problem: I opened an NPC that has a +3 to hit. What methods are there to adding the modifiers (to rolls)? I know you can drag from the chat window, but that would mean it would have to be in the chat window.
I know you can do some key command eg. /die +3.
Any other ways?

Problem2: How in the blank do you use the combat do hicky? I can drag people into it and sometime add HP to a person, but I can't change it after the fact. It will let me add more numbers by dragging. Can I drag a negitive number?

Thanks for the help,
cresley

richvalle
January 23rd, 2006, 16:26
This is what I do. Others may have different ideas.

When a combat starts I drag and drop the players onto the init tracker. You can do this by dragging on their picture. As they roll their init I drag and drop it from the chat window into the init tracker.

Since I know what the characters will be fighting I set it up before hand. Lets say they will run into 5 Ogers and their leader. 2 of the ogers are equiped as listed in the FG section. 3 have polearms and the leader is wearing platemail. I'll take the oger and drag and drop it into the Personalities page 3 times. Then I go in and rename the critters with the area of the map they are on and what they are. (So if they are on Map A in area 7 I'll name them A 07 Ogers, A 07 Ogers w Polearm, A 07 Oger Chief). Then I'll make the changes to each critters stat sheet.

Then I drag and drop them from the Personalities sheet onto the map where the players will meet them. This creates a pin for each Oger type.

When the fight starts I'll click on each pin which opens their stat sheet. I'll drag and drop them onto the Init tracker and roll for init for each or each group. Then drag and drop the inits onto the init tracker.

For each critter I'll put a name on the token by typeing it into the chat line and then dragging and dropping it on the token. Usually something simple like A, B, C, etc. I'll change the names on the init tracker to match by adding an A, B, C to the end of their name.

Then I right click and sort the items so they are listed highest to lowest by init. All the HP's are already listed since I dragged and dropped them in.

As they take damage I drag and drop it from the chat window to the wounds box. If someone gets healing you can drag and drop with the... Shift key I think, and it makes it a negitive number (and so reduces their wounds).

Again, since I know they are going to fight Ogers I setup a couple of hot keys. I like to roll the dice so I make the mods hotkey able.

Note: there is probably a better way to do this part.

I open up the common modifiers box and find one that has the + I need to hit. Then I drag and drop it into one of the hotkey boxes. Then I right click on the box and edit the text for it to 'Oger attack'. Now when I hit that key the modifire goes into the mod box and then I roll the die and get the results.

rv

cresley
January 23rd, 2006, 16:46
Again, since I know they are going to fight Ogers I setup a couple of hot keys. I like to roll the dice so I make the mods hotkey able.

Note: there is probably a better way to do this part.

I open up the common modifiers box and find one that has the + I need to hit. Then I drag and drop it into one of the hotkey boxes. Then I right click on the box and edit the text for it to 'Oger attack'. Now when I hit that key the modifire goes into the mod box and then I roll the die and get the results.

rv
This is excelent. Up to this point were you lost me.
Mods hotkey ? is that the shortcut keys at the bottom?

What is the common modifiers box? Is it the box that says Modifier with a big number above it and some dots under it? If it is, how do you open it?

Sorry for the n00b questions, but I am.

richvalle
January 23rd, 2006, 17:32
If you click on the D20 book on the right you get a window with a bunch of rules you can click on. One of them is a Common Modifiers window. Inside it, it has a bunch of, well, common modifiers. :)

You can use these during your game. Drag and drop the '+2 flanking' into one of your hotkey boxes at the bottom. It should now say 'Flanking' on it. If you hit the right hotkey you will see a +2 in the modifer box (that box with the dots). If you setup a +4 Rage mod key and hit it as well it will say +6 and have two dots filled in. Then setup a hotkey for the bab for that characater/monster and hit that hotkey as well. Then roll the die.

No worries... we should get someone that is 'thourgh and concise' to go over this instead of me. :)

rv

Ablefish
January 23rd, 2006, 21:11
hehe... one thing I wanted to mention is that don't forget about the 'shortcut' of using the mousewheel to increase/decrease a value. Sometimes it's easiest to just hang your mouse over the Modifier Box and wheel up or down to set the modifier if you haven't got everything ready for drag'ndrop.

Another bonus to having your monsters present in your personalities book, as opposed to just dragging them from the monster manual to the combat tracker, is you can then click on the wordbubble on the personality sheet and speak through them in the chat window. (You know, have the skeleton trashtalk when the rogue is trying to kill him with a rapier...)

richvalle
January 24th, 2006, 00:12
hehe... one thing I wanted to mention is that don't forget about the 'shortcut' of using the mousewheel to increase/decrease a value. Sometimes it's easiest to just hang your mouse over the Modifier Box and wheel up or down to set the modifier if you haven't got everything ready for drag'ndrop.

Thanks Ablefish... I meant to metion that both times and left it off both times!

I use that roller a lot. Its good for those 'one time' rolls like init where its not worth setting up a hot key for.

Another bonus to having your monsters present in your personalities book, as opposed to just dragging them from the monster manual to the combat tracker, is you can then click on the wordbubble on the personality sheet and speak through them in the chat window. (You know, have the skeleton trashtalk when the rogue is trying to kill him with a rapier...)

Hah... thats funny.

"Wheres your sneak attack now Dexboy, huh!? Where!?"

rv

cresley
January 24th, 2006, 13:06
Well, I tried these out last night. Worked like a champ. Thanks for the help.