PDA

View Full Version : Alert feat

llothos
June 18th, 2017, 09:46
I was playing around with character creation and dragged the alert feat on to sheet and it shows it added it but I noticed that my initiative bonus didn't increase above my +4. I would have though this would have added the +5 automatically. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

The High Druid
June 18th, 2017, 10:46
Mobile doesn't add the 10ft movement either, some things you just have to fix by hand still.

Zacchaeus
June 18th, 2017, 18:56
You have three methods of adding additional initiative. Either create an effect INIT: 5 and set it to self and place it on the character permanently. Or you can mouse over the small cross on the init foeld on the character sheet and when the pointer changes to a hand icon scroll the mouse wheel up until it reads 5. Or you can click the magnifying glass icon beside AC on the character sheet and add a 5 into the misc box beside 'Init'. The latter two methods can also be used to increase the speed by 10.

llothos
June 18th, 2017, 19:12
Manually increasing wasn't my issue it's that the feat didn't add the +5 automatically so I figured I would bring it up as the ppint of being able to drag and drop abilities and what not it's supposed to add these to character sheet so you don't have to.

Both feats mentioned in this thread should be doing what it says automatically.

LordEntrails
June 18th, 2017, 19:27
Not everything is automated. Something we have to do manually still. Requests can always be added to the wishlist; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

One thing to be aware, if you add an initiative bonus on the CT as an effect, it will not change the value of your init on your character sheet, but it will grant the bonus when your init is rolled via the CT.

Zacchaeus
June 18th, 2017, 22:57
Manually increasing wasn't my issue it's that the feat didn't add the +5 automatically so I figured I would bring it up as the ppint of being able to drag and drop abilities and what not it's supposed to add these to character sheet so you don't have to.

Ah, ok. Whilst a whole bunch of stuff is automated (especially in 5e) not everything is.

llothos
June 20th, 2017, 01:40
I just figured some of us paid money for the character options and expecting things to be automated. I figured I would bring this up as a bug and this shouldn't need to be something to put on the wishlist or feature request as it should already be automated.

LordEntrails
June 20th, 2017, 02:33
I just figured some of us paid money for the character options and expecting things to be automated. I figured I would bring this up as a bug and this shouldn't need to be something to put on the wishlist or feature request as it should already be automated.
I'm sorry if you had inaccurate expectations. I think in general people on the forums here, and SW in their product descriptions, try to be careful prevent such misalignment. But it obviously does happen.

If you would like a bit more info on automation in FG, and particularly the intent or objective of it from the developer's point of view, Moon Wizard recently made the following statement in terms of an effect for Mummy Rot. Basically the developers have been making this same type of statement about 5E automation since I've been on these forums;

For the specific effect (Mummy Rot), we strive to automate about 80-90% of the rules in the game system, but we don't try to automate every specific rule, especially those only used by a single creature or single ability. We try to focus on rules automation for those things that are used often (attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, etc.).

llothos
June 20th, 2017, 03:04
I understand the fantasy grounds engine not automating everything and I'm not under the assumption that all the 5e rules are automated there but my understanding was that the character options has a lot of automation built in for adding things to characters. Like giving the character +5 to initiative for alert feat or the +10 to movement for the other feat mentioned from another poster.

Again I figured it was a bug I'll have to be more careful.

Spin-Man
June 24th, 2017, 16:47

Both stat fields have only one space available for miscellaneous modifiers. If you already have a bonus from a class feature or racial ability, setting the value with a feat would not give the correct total. A player is more likely to notice that the total didn't change than notice that a changed value is wrong, so I think it's better to leave those particular feats manual. Adding additional modifier fields for each stat to make it work would add clutter to a sheet that is already packed with info.

ShadowedHand
December 29th, 2021, 05:42
This may be old news, but the Alert feat is now coded into the engine to account for the Initiative increase.

What is NOT included is automation for the third part of the feat, that of vs unseen attackers.

This can be automated in the Actions tab as follows....

There is no way that I have found to automate the second part. :(