PDA

View Full Version : What version should I buy to play in a local setup?

Devistation
June 14th, 2017, 04:28
So as I said in a previous post I was wanting to use FG to play with my kids who are 8 and 6 years old so hopefully it keeps their interest. How I envision using it would be running a DM screen on my laptop and another screen on my TV via a HDMI cable as a second screen. My kids would not have laptops and would be doing manual dice rolls and pen and paper character sheets. The idea is to help them with basic math so I don't want the automation... at least on their side) So on the TV I would like to show just the players view window where I would be moving tokens for them and opening up the map, encounters, etc.

So based on this setup would I still need a Ultimate version? OR can I get away with the $40.00 one?

Thanks again for the help

LordEntrails
June 14th, 2017, 04:47
Nope, in your setup you are only running FG on one computer, therefore you only need the standard license. You can start a second instance on the host (DM) computer that does not require a license. That second instance you would show on your TV screen.

So, the $40 one is the one you want (unless you want to go the subscription route for $4/month).

Erin Righ
June 14th, 2017, 10:09
Listen to LordEntrails, he's got guts! But seriously, he is right!

Beldak
June 14th, 2017, 12:55
Correct, I would go with the Standard license, and then later down the road if you have a 2nd laptop and you want to teach your 8-year old to move tokens around etc, then you could upgrade to Ultimate and the 2nd laptop would be running demo client. This is what I do at home :)

Griogre
June 14th, 2017, 16:04
The other option is just get a second $40 license - it would be cheaper and means either computer could DM.

FYI for small groups, Steam has a buy 4 standard licenses for the price of 3 deal which is cheaper than one Ultimate license and means any computer/player can DM.

midas
June 19th, 2017, 19:34
FYI for small groups, Steam has a buy 4 standard licenses for the price of 3 deal which is cheaper than one Ultimate license and means any computer/player can DM.

They can't however share content though, so each player that would want to DM would also need copies of any purchased content (if such content is being used).

Griogre
June 19th, 2017, 20:34
Very true, but the occasional DM can get by with the free SRD content. Particularly in a family environment, this might be OK.