PDA

View Full Version : CustomisedItemGenerator Extension

Faelwen
June 13th, 2017, 23:15
Hello everyone.

About a month ago, I've joined Fantasy Grounds and have been busy prepping the "Skull & Shackles" campaign. I've noticed that a lot of my prepping time went into creating customised weapon and armor by copying "base" items from library modules and manually update their stats. I was wondering if there wasn't a way to make this simpler and quicker... and this extension is what I came up with.

Rather than give a long explanation of what it can do and how it works, I think a couple of images should suffice:

Rulesets supported - While I've created this extension to prep my Pathfinder campaigns, it should work with 3.5 games. From what I remember, the item creation rules are similar (although I'm not 100% certain since it's been over 10 years since my last 3.5 game).

Incompatibilities - None that I know of. During development I've noticed some incompatibilities with the "Enhanced Items" extension, but I think I managed to fix them.

I hope this will be useful to the community. Please do not hesitate to post your feedback.

Ken L
June 13th, 2017, 23:29
That's pretty neat! If you have a GitHub and want to do more with it we can Collab.

Faelwen
June 15th, 2017, 09:00
That's pretty neat! If you have a GitHub and want to do more with it we can Collab.

I'm afraid I only have some very vague notions on what Github is, and no idea how it works. Of course, I'm perfectly willing to learn and would certainly enjoy a collaboration.

Note, however, that professionally, I mainly work with mainframe systems, which tend to have some rather... prehistorical standards as far as source versioning and collaborative development go. I’m afraid most of my work methods, while perfectly acceptable in my particular niche, would be considered as outlandish and obsolete elsewhere.

Trenloe
June 16th, 2017, 05:11
Nice work! Thanks for sharing this. I've added to the extension list: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?15925-List-of-Extensions

dantedoom
June 17th, 2017, 21:51
Really good! Thanks and congrats!

Ken L
June 19th, 2017, 04:15
No problem fae, but if you ever do I'd be willing to add updates if needed.

Faelwen
October 20th, 2017, 00:45
Update:
- Corrected a few bugs such as special abilities not appearing on pure bludgeonning weapons
- Added the special abilities from the Mythic Adventures rulebook

yeknom
October 22nd, 2017, 15:23
This is awesome. Is there anyway it could be made to work with potions and other items as well?

Faelwen
October 22nd, 2017, 20:04
This is awesome. Is there anyway it could be made to work with potions and other items as well?

As far as I know, potions and items don't have customisable special abilities the way weapon and armour do. Could you give a few examples of what you have in mind?

Nylanfs
October 23rd, 2017, 16:57
Well you can make them at different spell levels and different classes.

Check out how PCGen lets you make custom scrolls and potions / oils.

Faelwen
October 23rd, 2017, 21:44
Well you can make them at different spell levels and different classes.

Check out how PCGen lets you make custom scrolls and potions / oils.

Ok, I've just had a look at how PC Gen manages this. It's rather interesting, but I have a couple of concerns.

The first is that I'd have to manage long lists of spells (as I recall, there are over 300 spells merely in the CRB) that will encumber quite a lot the comboboxes and make the extension a bit cumbersome to use. I'm not even sure the comboboxes in Fantasy Grounds could withhold such punishment. Perhaps there are other widgets available that could handle this better, but I'd have to spend a lot of some time experimenting.

My other concern is that is that searching for a potion/wand/scroll from an item module (such as the PFRPG Magic Items module or my own Ultimate Equipment module) will probably satisfy 95% of the needs of most GM and players while being much faster than using such an extension. I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of time programming something that would save me perhaps a couple of minutes... per campaign.

I'm not rejecting the proposal outright, but I'm afraid it would be rather low on my list of priorities.

Ken L
October 25th, 2017, 07:23
I think the way of tackling it is to hack into the spell window and add a button to 'convert to item'. Any spell can be converted into a scroll, only potions 1-3 can be converted. Honestly I'd just let anything work for either to save the hassle as everyone has some homebrew of some kind or the rare potion of greater heroism.

Either way, this is a great extension for custom item users.

Faelwen
October 29th, 2017, 17:03
I think the way of tackling it is to hack into the spell window and add a button to 'convert to item'. Any spell can be converted into a scroll, only potions 1-3 can be converted. Honestly I'd just let anything work for either to save the hassle as everyone has some homebrew of some kind or the rare potion of greater heroism.

Either way, this is a great extension for custom item users.

That's a good idea. I'll look into it when I have some time.

Copernicus219
March 3rd, 2020, 14:07
Does this work with FGU?

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2020, 14:21
Does this work with FGU?
Have you tried it in FGU?

Copernicus219
March 3rd, 2020, 14:49
Have you tried it in FGU?

I have not. I can try it, I just assumed unless it was updated it wouldn't work in FGU. I will give it a go tonight.

tahl_liadon
March 4th, 2020, 15:40
this looks really useful... will try it tonight.

quick question: does it adjust gp value as well when adding extras, like enhancement and material (e.g. +1 adamantine [weapon])?

Kelrugem
March 4th, 2020, 16:01
As far as I have seen, yes :) It adjusts the value, too :)

tahl_liadon
March 4th, 2020, 16:17
As far as I have seen, yes :) It adjusts the value, too :)

sweet!

mozmonar
April 4th, 2020, 20:52
Does this extension require some other specific extension or module aside from the pathfinder core to function? Trying it out in FGC the drop down for the Bonus field populates but the Special Material, Special ability 1 and Special ability 2 drop downs contain only "None" for me.

UPDATE: Hmm nevermind....for whatever reason it is working now. Tried unloading extensions and it worked...added them back in one at a time and it continues to work.

rmilmine
April 23rd, 2020, 13:39
I noticed that when you make a +1 or better weapon it applies masterwork to the properties causing the resultant weapon to have a +2 to hit and +1 on damage. Which is incorrect. I think it shouldn't apply the masterwork to the properties when you select +1 to +5.
Also when adding +1 to +5 it should include magic as a damage type.

Kelrugem
April 23rd, 2020, 13:52
I noticed that when you make a +1 or better weapon it applies masterwork to the properties causing the resultant weapon to have a +2 to hit and +1 on damage. Which is incorrect. I think it shouldn't apply the masterwork to the properties when you select +1 to +5.

I just tested and the boni are correct then, +1 atk and +1 dmg; the masterwork in the properties will not stack with the bonus in the bonus field, and technically speaking such weapons are masterwork (but there should be not this stacking issue) :)

But I was able to reproduce that problem: When you use this item generator then these items are unidentified at the beginning. When you give someone an unidentified +1 longsword, then that character will get the +1 atk bonus by the masterwork property. After identifying that sword there will be suddenly an additional +1 atk bonus by the magical bonus, hence suddenly these stack. So, the workaround is to identify the sword before you apply it to someone (or to remove the masterwork property though magical weapons normally have this property, too)

By the way, I have this bug even without that extension, thence, it is a problem with FG itself :D If you want you can open a separate bug thread for that :) Normally FG checks that masterwork and enhancement bonus are not stacking but seemingly not when the item is unidentified when applied

rmilmine
April 24th, 2020, 15:05
Thanks Kelrugem. Good to know there is an easy fix.
Is there any way to add Ammo item to the list of item types that can be used with this?
I figure it would be informational only as it doesn't look like ammo has any fields for the action tab.
It would be nice if there was a way to link ammo to an action tab item. Like say a drop down listing bows for arrows and then create an action tab item for the selected bow and ammo.

Kelrugem
April 24th, 2020, 16:41
Thanks Kelrugem. Good to know there is an easy fix.
Is there any way to add Ammo item to the list of item types that can be used with this?
I figure it would be informational only as it doesn't look like ammo has any fields for the action tab.
It would be nice if there was a way to link ammo to an action tab item. Like say a drop down listing bows for arrows and then create an action tab item for the selected bow and ammo.

For magical stuff you can indeed create actions for the effects and so on :) Ammo you can track either using the ammo box in ranged weapons, or with the "spells prepared" (when not too many arrows), or just in the name :)

rmilmine
April 24th, 2020, 19:48
Just on a weapon generation thing, having a drop down that selects its size would also be nice.
Having to manual create weapons of differing sizes means looking up the table each time cause I never remember the table.

Kelrugem
April 24th, 2020, 21:14
Just on a weapon generation thing, having a drop down that selects its size would also be nice.
Having to manual create weapons of differing sizes means looking up the table each time cause I never remember the table.

Would be indeed nice :)

rmilmine
April 28th, 2020, 18:11
So I did some playing around and I added size to this.
What I can't figure out is why it's adding a "-" to properties.
getItemData is returning a "-" for properties.
The base item has a blank for properties, but after being copied with DB.copyNode it has a "-" in it. This "-" then gets propagated to the new item.
Anyone have any ideas on why this would be happening?

rmilmine
April 28th, 2020, 18:27
Okay, I take it back. It seems that the items in Pathfinder Ultimate Equipment have a "-" in properties when it should be blank.

rmilmine
April 29th, 2020, 19:47
I added some stuff to this extension and thought I would pass along what I did.
I added a field to items for size. If the size of a weapon changes it will change the damage of that weapon based on the size difference. If the size field is blank it assumes medium for size.
I also added sub selection and sub sub selection for weapon abilities. This was needed to allow for selection of bane type and sub type.
I added the abilities being added to properties as well and updated the damage type to include magic for weapons with an enhancement bonus.

The reason I added the abilities to properties is I want to create an extension that on adding an item to the inventory creates a proper action item that includes things like flaming, and other things like it. So putting them in the properties allows for searching for them when I get around to figuring out how to access the code that does the creation of action items from inventory items.
I'm now wondering if I should put magical into properties instead of magic in damage type. semantics I think.

Here is what I changed. Please let me know if there are any issues. I tried testing it as much as possible but anything could be missed so more eyes would be good.

rmilmine
April 29th, 2020, 20:35
I just tested and the boni are correct then, +1 atk and +1 dmg; the masterwork in the properties will not stack with the bonus in the bonus field, and technically speaking such weapons are masterwork (but there should be not this stacking issue) :)

But I was able to reproduce that problem: When you use this item generator then these items are unidentified at the beginning. When you give someone an unidentified +1 longsword, then that character will get the +1 atk bonus by the masterwork property. After identifying that sword there will be suddenly an additional +1 atk bonus by the magical bonus, hence suddenly these stack. So, the workaround is to identify the sword before you apply it to someone (or to remove the masterwork property though magical weapons normally have this property, too)

By the way, I have this bug even without that extension, thence, it is a problem with FG itself :D If you want you can open a separate bug thread for that :) Normally FG checks that masterwork and enhancement bonus are not stacking but seemingly not when the item is unidentified when applied

Where would I go to report bugs in fg? I can't seem to find a link anywhere.

Kelrugem
April 29th, 2020, 20:54

I already reported here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57062-Bug-Masterwork-property-and-enhancement-bonus-stack-for-unidentified-items :) Just open a thread here when it is not related to FGU :D

Copernicus219
April 29th, 2020, 21:01

Are you using Classic or FGU? Would post in FGU support forums for FGU, or probably Laboratory support forums for FG Classic. Though I don't really know, I bet they aren't working on many fixes atm for Classic.

rmilmine
April 29th, 2020, 21:08
I'm using FGC.
At the moment I want to ask that something be changed in the 3.5E npc window. none of the headings have names so you can't add items to it before a heading. I don't really want to subsume the entire window to add 1 item.

Faelwen
April 30th, 2020, 00:03
I added some stuff to this extension and thought I would pass along what I did.
I added a field to items for size. If the size of a weapon changes it will change the damage of that weapon based on the size difference. If the size field is blank it assumes medium for size.
I also added sub selection and sub sub selection for weapon abilities. This was needed to allow for selection of bane type and sub type.
I added the abilities being added to properties as well and updated the damage type to include magic for weapons with an enhancement bonus.

The reason I added the abilities to properties is I want to create an extension that on adding an item to the inventory creates a proper action item that includes things like flaming, and other things like it. So putting them in the properties allows for searching for them when I get around to figuring out how to access the code that does the creation of action items from inventory items.
I'm now wondering if I should put magical into properties instead of magic in damage type. semantics I think.

Here is what I changed. Please let me know if there are any issues. I tried testing it as much as possible but anything could be missed so more eyes would be good.

Nice work. I wonder why I never thought of adding this functionality. Probably because my players rarely play small races :p

Note that the Fantasy Grounds PFRPG ruleset has a predefined list of damage types, so you should use "magic" instead of "magical". Besides, damage resistance entries in the bestiary will typically use "magic" and not "magical" (e.g. "DR 5/magic").

And since we are on the subject of damage type, I realise there is another functionality I forgot to add to this extension: adding extra properties to a weapon depending on its enchantment bonus (magic for +1, cold iron and silver for +3, adamantine for +4, etc.)

rmilmine
April 30th, 2020, 12:17
Nice work. I wonder why I never thought of adding this functionality. Probably because my players rarely play small races :p

Note that the Fantasy Grounds PFRPG ruleset has a predefined list of damage types, so you should use "magic" instead of "magical". Besides, damage resistance entries in the bestiary will typically use "magic" and not "magical" (e.g. "DR 5/magic").

And since we are on the subject of damage type, I realise there is another functionality I forgot to add to this extension: adding extra properties to a weapon depending on its enchantment bonus (magic for +1, cold iron and silver for +3, adamantine for +4, etc.)

I found a whole bunch of bugs in the code. Not sure how they got there, as I was sure that at 6am after insomnia that it was working perfectly fine. lol
Here is the corrected version.

I used the dice chart off of piazo's website for the size to damage ratio.
I say magical, but I meant magic. :) I'll add the iron and silver and adamantine to the list. Does +4 also cover cold iron and silver as well as adamantine?
I'm also going to add to them an exclusionary field so that you can identify abilities that can't be used with other abilities. Such as axiomatic and anarchic, etc.

Copernicus219
April 30th, 2020, 14:14

Sorry, trying to understand what you mean by this. Are you saying +3 bonus gives you cold iron and silver and +4 bonus gives you admantine? Just confused because I've never heard that before.

madman
April 30th, 2020, 14:34
A magic +4 weapon bypasses DR ? /admantine.

Copernicus219
April 30th, 2020, 15:03
I finally found it under Damage Reduction. Never heard this before and been playing for several years, lol. Thanks.

rmilmine
April 30th, 2020, 15:40
Yeah, I've been playing for years as well and only came across it about a month ago. From what I can tell +1 and +2 = magic, +3 = magic, cold iron, silver, +4 = +3 & adamantine, and +5 = +4 & chaotic, evil, good, lawful.

rmilmine
April 30th, 2020, 15:49
Oh, and +6 is dr/epic. This is somewhere in the Mythic book.

Kelrugem
April 30th, 2020, 15:50
Yeah, I've been playing for years as well and only came across it about a month ago. From what I can tell +1 and +2 = magic, +3 = magic, cold iron, silver, +4 = +3 & adamantine, and +5 = +4 & chaotic, evil, good, lawful.

But only in Pathfinder, isn't it? (I never heard of that before, too, but I play 3.5e :D)

Kelrugem
April 30th, 2020, 15:56
But only in Pathfinder, isn't it? (I never heard of that before, too, but I play 3.5e :D)

And when it is different in 3.5e, then you might want to respect that in the code; but that is up to you of course :) (in data_common.lua is the variable measuring which ruleset one uses, then you can differ both behaviours by an if-else-clause :) )

rmilmine
April 30th, 2020, 17:05
And when it is different in 3.5e, then you might want to respect that in the code; but that is up to you of course :) (in data_common.lua is the variable measuring which ruleset one uses, then you can differ both behaviours by an if-else-clause :) )

Yeah, didn't think of that.

rmilmine
April 30th, 2020, 17:35
As per the suggestion I added code to differentiate between 3.5e and pathfinder.
Also fixed some bugs. pernicious things bugs.

Kelrugem
April 30th, 2020, 17:36
As per the suggestion I added code to differentiate between 3.5e and pathfinder.

cool, thanks, also for thinking about us 3.5e users ;)

Faelwen
May 1st, 2020, 17:07
Sorry, trying to understand what you mean by this. Are you saying +3 bonus gives you cold iron and silver and +4 bonus gives you admantine? Just confused because I've never heard that before.

Yeah, it is one of these obscure rules that not many players know about. This one in particular is hidden in a paragraph called "overcoming DR" (Core Rulebook p 562).

rmilmine
May 6th, 2020, 03:35
Do you mind if I post a modified version of your extension that includes a bunch of changes?
I added what I mentioned above, and fixed all of the bugs I could find in my code.
I also added the ability for it to add effects to items to work with another extension I changed for 3.5E and Pathfinder. Specifically the 5E Advanced Effects extension.
So it will create all kinds of effects based on abilities selected.

Faelwen
May 16th, 2020, 15:52
Do you mind if I post a modified version of your extension that includes a bunch of changes?
I added what I mentioned above, and fixed all of the bugs I could find in my code.
I also added the ability for it to add effects to items to work with another extension I changed for 3.5E and Pathfinder. Specifically the 5E Advanced Effects extension.
So it will create all kinds of effects based on abilities selected.

No problem. I don't have plans for maintaining this extension for the moment.

swest
July 10th, 2020, 21:57
Gents (rmilmine and Faelwen),

This question is probably more for rmilmine, as Faelwen mentioned that he is not actively maintaining "CustomisedItemGenerator.ext" at the current time.

Anyway, regarding "CustomisedItemGenerator modified.ext", is there a reason that this extension does not appear on the Community Extensions page? Also, I assume that these two extensions are mutually exclusive, yes?

Thanks!

- s.west

dellanx
July 13th, 2020, 10:36

Thanks! It was early in the morning and I think I selected a light mace. Vorpal works!

rmilmine
July 14th, 2020, 02:24
Gents (rmilmine and Faelwen),

This question is probably more for rmilmine, as Faelwen mentioned that he is not actively maintaining "CustomisedItemGenerator.ext" at the current time.

Anyway, regarding "CustomisedItemGenerator modified.ext", is there a reason that this extension does not appear on the Community Extensions page? Also, I assume that these two extensions are mutually exclusive, yes?

Thanks!

- s.west

They are mutually exclusive. I have my own thread found: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57818-Customized-Item-Generator-for-3-5E-and-Pathfinder

belkasro
January 29th, 2021, 20:39
Tried to get this working in unity. Anyone having issues with this. Tried the modified version no dice

belkasro
January 30th, 2021, 06:09
Tried to get this working in unity. Anyone having issues with this. Tried the modified version no dice

never mind got it working.

belkasro
April 12th, 2021, 19:29
trying to an armor made with it and they are coming up with a script that says cant find it. Script Error: [string "script/magic_item_generator.lua"]:4742: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)