PDA

View Full Version : Can I DM with FG with a live group?

Devistation
June 13th, 2017, 03:31
I have been watching videos and Fantasy Grounds looks like a fun resource to use for gaming with others over long distances. But what about a active group in my home? I'd like to use this at home with my D&D group by using a projector to show maps and movement, battles using physical dice rolls etc, instead of using traditional miniatures and drawing maps out. Can Fantasy Grounds be used like that? In a live game in person? I think it would be a great way to play with my kids and hold their interest.

Thanks for your help with this question

dulux-oz
June 13th, 2017, 04:06
Hi Devistation, and Welcome! to the Community,

In a short answer: Yes!

There's quite a few groups who use FG this way and quite a few Threads here on the Forums that discuss it as well. Have a look around and you'll find some.

Cheers

Erin Righ
June 13th, 2017, 06:06
That's how I use it, I got an Ultimate licence and then installed it on my player's laptops. I made a dummy client for the DM to take care of NPCs and display maps and all and see what the players see. Then I hook up to my TV to display stuff. Others have a much more sofisticated setup.

jab112
June 13th, 2017, 08:27
You can turn on manual dice entry in options. If you need more info look up the manual in the wike.

LordEntrails
June 13th, 2017, 16:01
I use FG both in person and online. Love it!

Devistation
June 13th, 2017, 17:38
When you play in person does everyone have their laptops or just the DM controlling the game?

Trenloe
June 13th, 2017, 17:43
When you play in person does everyone have their laptops or just the DM controlling the game?
I just control the game. I use a large TV on the tabletop, so we can use minis as well. Screenshot here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33834-Map-resize-to-TV-resolution-for-Face-To-Face-games&p=338342&viewfull=1#post338342

But, you could also have players on laptops - I know some people who do this also. It's entirely up to you - and how much you want your players to get involved in the VTT aspect. It would also require everyone to have a license, or the GM to have an Ultimate license and the players a demo (with an internet connection used to verify the Ultimate license when they connect).

Note: if you just have one player connect, the GM can have a standard license and the one player a demo license. This is a one player only option, if anyone else connects (either with a demo or a standard) this won't work.

LordEntrails
June 13th, 2017, 18:18
For reference, my players all bring their laptops (I have an ultimate license) and I also put a second instance up on a large screen for the map. Though we have done it before where I control everything, I prefer to off-load as much work as possible and make my players do all that work.

Some people also put FG on a second screen and lay it flat on their table and put mini's on top of it.

Lots of ways to do it, just depend on what you have available and how you want to work it.

Ken L
June 13th, 2017, 21:33
I personally prefer to have little to no tech on the table in person as it distracts too much. If you're using a projector you'll need one of Tren's big screen extensions. If you plan on splurging on a touch screen I'd suggest you try d20pro as it has native touch support.

Trenloe
June 13th, 2017, 21:59
No bigger than a pretty standard Paizo flipmat:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18996

Nalfien
June 18th, 2017, 02:20
This is the whole reason I bought FG when it first came out. I ran it off my laptop and had a small 15" monitor hooked up to the laptop and placed opposite of the laptop screen. It let me display art, combat maps, and use the great combat tracking tools as I hosted the game. I highly recommend it!