PDA

View Full Version : 6-8 hour one-shot?

icedern
June 12th, 2017, 20:16
Any good recommendations for a good one-shot that is like 6-8 hours?

Thanks in advance!

Gwydion
June 12th, 2017, 21:06
Any good recommendations for a good one-shot that is like 6-8 hours?

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm.....

1) The Haunt by P.B. Publishing - I really liked this and depending on the decisions the pc's make, should be between 5-6 hrs. Really fun Haunted House adventure with cool atmosphere. I have some videos of the sessions I've run on youtube.

2) The Dead From Above - The maps are a bit of a challenge (in the Quest of Doom FG bundle), but the story is really cool. This is definitely more of an 8 hr. I have videos of my sessions with this one on youtube as well if you want to check it out.

3) Dark Days in Stoneholme - Dwarven adventure by AAW. Full disclosure - I converted this one myself for Jonathan at AAW but I did it for free (I know... i know...). It is probably closer to 8-12 hrs unless you cut back some of the content. I thought this was a cool one too. There aren't maps for some of the early encounters, but there are two pretty good maps for the main sections.

4) Alagoran's Gem - LOVED this one! However, this is probably on the long-side of what you want. I ran this over three sessions of about 12 total hrs I think and it could have been longer as the players avoided certain parts of the dungeon. I have videos of this on my youtube channel as well.

5) Unknwon Whom - By rob2e. Fun adventure starting at level 0! Again, probably on the long end of what you want. I ran it in about 11-12 hrs I think. I have videos of this on my youtube channel as well.

Hope this helps!

icedern
June 13th, 2017, 14:13
Thank you sir! I'll check them out.

Trenloe
June 13th, 2017, 17:57
You could string the AAW Games A00 and A01 together (they are written to easily lead into each other) for a longer session. A00 is a good introduction to the AAW game campaign world (where all of their A series scenarios, and some others too, are set), and has a great flavor. A1 is a nice mini dungeon crawl, with some local history.

A00 in 5E is not available on the FG store for some reason. But, you can get it on the AAW store:

https://adventureaweek.com/shop/5th-edition/5e-a00-crows-rest-island-fantasy-grounds/

And also A1:

https://adventureaweek.com/shop/5th-edition/5e-a01-crypt-sun-lord-fantasy-grounds/

If you take out a one month free subscription, you'll get two free downloads - which can be both of these modules. Before you download, you can check out the web version of the scenarios (available as part of the subscription) and so decide if you want to use your tow downloads on this scenarios, or something else. Then, if you like them, you can keep the subscription up and get two downloads a month - for other FG products.

Gwydion
June 13th, 2017, 19:03
Yep, those are two great additional suggestions by Trenloe. I've run them both. I think Crow's Rest could be 4-6 hrs and adding Crypt of the Sun Lord would be another 4-6 hrs from my experience with running both of these.

LordEntrails
June 13th, 2017, 19:42
At about 8 hours in length (depending on what you do with it, I've cut it down to 4 hours for cons) is my Balance Disturbed module for 1st level characters. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/180749/Balance-Disturbed-BDC1

(Second module in the series is getting close to publication).

Seya
June 13th, 2017, 21:27
I have the balance Disturbed. It's pretty good thanks

Seya
June 13th, 2017, 21:32
I have also ran crows rest and crypt of the sub lord five times now. They are easily completable in 4-6 with premade characters. Last time I did sun lord it took just under two hours

Trenloe
June 13th, 2017, 21:48
The length of time any scenario will take depends on how narrative/role-play orientated your group is. The more role-playing and narration used in the group the longer the scenario will usually take. There's no way that I'd be able to run Crypt of the Sun Lord in 2 hours - I'm way too descriptive and interactive with the PCs. Each GM and group of players will be different. @icedern - if you know the players already, you'll have a good idea as to whether they're detail/role-play orientated or not, and hopefully know how quickly they tend to run through adventures. Crow's Rest Island and Crypt of the Sun Lord are certainly do-able within a 6-8 hour session. If you group usually takes a good while to adventure through a scenario then you may need to do a little pruning of the adventure to fit within 6-8 hours - for example, [minor spoiler alert] if Crow's Rest Island took a little longer than expected, you could skip/push through the camp/thief section at the beginning of Crypt of the Sun Lord and go straight to the Crypt. Or you could shorten the boat journey on Serpent Lake both before and after the island.

icedern
June 14th, 2017, 17:58
Thanks for all the suggestions!

icedern
July 3rd, 2017, 18:42
Update: So I ended up running Alagoran's Gem...in one session. Started at noon on Saturday and ran until just about 3am. It was a marathon session and a TON of fun. I highly recommend that to anyone...just don't plan on doing it in 1 session, unless you're crazy. I did fudge things a few times just to speed it along and finish up because I was exhausted, but overall, it was a great experience. I have the stream archived on YouTube if anyone is interested.

Gwydion
July 3rd, 2017, 18:44
Update: So I ended up running Alagoran's Gem...in one session. Started at noon on Saturday and ran until just about 3am. It was a marathon session and a TON of fun. I highly recommend that to anyone...just don't plan on doing it in 1 session, unless you're crazy. I did fudge things a few times just to speed it along and finish up because I was exhausted, but overall, it was a great experience. I have the stream archived on YouTube if anyone is interested.

Awesome. Can't wait to see it. I had a ton of fun running it too!