PDA

View Full Version : Pricing

Stv
June 8th, 2017, 21:03
Hi all,
I've just recently started using FG as my virtual tabletop (previously used maptools), and I've got to say it's amazing :)
But I have a question about pricing, how come from the FG store Volo's guide is £38.60, but if I purchase it from Steam then it's only £29.99?

Thanks, Stv.

Griogre
June 8th, 2017, 21:12
Steam uses different currency conversion rate than Paypal (which powers the FG store). That, as far as I know, is one of the best reasons to buy on Steam vs. the FG Store. :p

Stv
June 8th, 2017, 21:15
Cheers for the quick reply :)
And good to know.

Thanks, Stv.

LordEntrails
June 8th, 2017, 21:38
I think Steam also does regional pricing discounts, so not just currency conversion, but that for some countries/regions they actually lower the price.

Callum
June 9th, 2017, 11:50
Does this mean that I should look into buying content on Steam, even though I've never used FG through Steam?

Zacchaeus
June 9th, 2017, 12:23
Does this mean that I should look into buying content on Steam, even though I've never used FG through Steam?

That is a decision only for you. Buying from Smiteworks directly supports them more than buying via Steam since Steam takes a sizeable chunk of the purchase price.

Stv
June 9th, 2017, 13:21
That is a decision only for you. Buying from Smiteworks directly supports them more than buying via Steam since Steam takes a sizeable chunk of the purchase price.

If that's correct I guess I'll continue buying direct from Smiteworks, better they have the cash than a third party :)

Wookiee420
June 9th, 2017, 17:30
PERSONALLY, I say if you started in the FG store stay in the FG store. Steam takes up to 30% and i feel like SmiteWorks deserves that extra cash

boomstick76p
June 9th, 2017, 19:54
Buying in house allows our developers and founders to keep everything running and keep prices low!

Nylanfs
June 9th, 2017, 20:37
Unless there is a pretty massive import tariff, for example Brazil it is VASTLY cheaper to buy from Steam than the Smiteworks store.

boomstick76p
June 9th, 2017, 21:52
Unless there is a pretty massive import tariff, for example Brazil it is VASTLY cheaper to buy from Steam than the Smiteworks store.

I hate having to run a program for another program from Steam. I don't like it. Is Steam really that much cheaper?

LordEntrails
June 9th, 2017, 22:29
I hate having to run a program for another program from Steam. I don't like it. Is Steam really that much cheaper?
In the US, no. In Brazil, yes.

spite
June 9th, 2017, 22:33

I know in the case of NZ/AU it is much cheaper. To the point where as a student I can only afford the things I get because of the price difference in steam. For example, the Volos Guide for me to get on Smiteworks store is 74.33NZD after conversion and paypal fee, and on steam store is 49.99, and that's not including the bundle discount for having all 5e stuff. Difference between 4 weeks of saving and 2 weeks of saving for it.

Trenloe
June 9th, 2017, 23:04
I hate having to run a program for another program from Steam.
You don't have to. Steam purchases are linked to your FG account now. So no need to run from Steam or have the Steam client installed. Just install FG as normal, link your account (button on the FG settings page) and do an update. All outside of Steam.