PDA

View Full Version : Looking to create an ongoing group for 1 shots and other shorts - Alternating GMs

rbeard101
June 8th, 2017, 16:34
I've been kicking around an idea for the last few months. I'd like to get a group of players going that have a bunch of RPG rulesets and game scenarios sitting around and never seem to get to even play those games. If you're like me, you want to get some exposure to a bunch of different games and play things you haven't before or run an old module or game you have fond memories of playing before. You'd need to be flexible and maybe play a game you might NOT like for a session or two knowing that the current game will only run that long and you'll be off with the group playing a different game in a month. Games may include published or home brew material - the current GM gets to decided.

YOU MUST BE WILLING TO GM OCCASIONALLY!

Anyone interested?

Here is what I have in mind:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FG License: You'll need at least a Full License. Since everyone will be expected to GM at one time or another
Game System: MANY!

Time Zone: CST
Day of week and time: TBD (Friday (evening), Saturday, or Sunday Most likely)
If new game, planned start date: TBD (July?)
Planned Duration & Frequency: Not every week. 1 or 2 times a month
Term: Long term group members - Short term games

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: Teamspeak

Roleplay & Combat mix: Various - Depends on Game and GM
Number of Players in game & needed: TBD (4-6?)
Character starting level & equipment: Depends on Game and GM

Details of your scenario:
This would be a continuing group of people who want to play different games and get exposure to different rule-sets, stories, Old-school, new trending games, games in beta, old modules, etc?

I'd like to get a group together with people that would like to take turns GMing and playing different games. Each game would be maybe 1-4 sessions long and after that arc completes another group member would take over and run a different game or at least a different story line. For example:

Session 1-2 Group Member 1 runs Star Wars EotE
Session 3-5 Group Member 2 runs a story in D&D 5e
Session 6 Group Member 3 runs a game of Savage Worlds
Session 7-11 Group Member 4 runs Star Trek using the old FASA rules
Session 12-14 Group Member 1 runs Vampire
Session 15-16 Group member 4 runs Mutants & Masterminds
Session 17-20 Group Member 2 runs Star Frontiers
etc...

In most cases we would probably be running pre-gen characters, though the GM can use their own judgement on when they want to have the group roll-up characters.

We would probably try to play every 2-3 weeks since it will take the GMs sometime to prep with new rules and scenarios between turns of running the game.

gagsmith
June 8th, 2017, 17:21
This is a really good idea. I have a bunch of indie games my irl group refuses to play because they are hack and slash monsters. Depending on schedule I'm very interested.

Wazoodust
June 8th, 2017, 22:10
I like it too, and also depending on schedule I'm interested

Hermundure
June 9th, 2017, 08:25
Hi!

We already have a group like this running for quite some time, it started with DnD 5e where we had at first one GM running a West Marches Style campaign.
I am not sure if you are used to this campaign type but one of its concept is that you - as a player - can enlist to player organised expeditions as your real life time permits, so its not unusual to have 20 or more players on the roster which join in the games in groups of a set max amount of group members - even though the world is developing even if you personally arent on expedtions for a few weeks.
Out of this player pool stepped a small amount of other 5e GMs and - after I joined this gaming group - I poisoned them with Savage Worlds.
I ran a "introduction game" to Savage Worlds (even though I am a complete noobie in this system also with a low amount of experience GMing) and it was obviously enough to get the majority of them switching over to Savage Worlds.
Right now some of us are in the end process of preparing the GM-specific settings while one GM still runs 5e adventures in the West Marches and another one already started running games in Savagae Worlds "Deadlands"
Still in the works but not yet launched is a SW victorian Sci-Fi setting and either Savage Worlds "Last Parsec" or a dark and gritty game in the Lost Lands around "Rappan Athuk" and "The Slumbering Tsar" - all of these will be run with the ability for players to drop in and out as time permits.

We are not that many people yet (maybe 10 to 15? active ones) so it would be nice if others jump in - even more so if they are actively taking over responsibility in GMing themself or, when they are just players, keep update the map for the setting, write a small travel report so the players who stayed in their "camp" know what has been going on and where interesting places might be to visit by themself later etc.

What we are not looking for are lazy players with a "give me!" mentality, hack-and slash-murder hobos or these guys which try to start endless rules-discussions at the table out of dedicated sessions to practicing the rules of a given system...

Right now we are organized thrugh Discord, PM me for access if you think it would be a nice idea to throw the resources together :-)

Oh and BTW I know that there is a bunch of us in there who would love to play in some Call of Cthulhu 7e sessions but we lack a GM in this area :-)

Herm

EDIT: Here is a link to what this west marches style is actually. Some of us have modified the concept a bit (like adding a quest handed out by an NPC here and there) but others keep it to the core idea.
In my opinion this is a great concept to run if you are grown up, busy in RL, with work and family stuff going on etc.

https://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/

leozelig
June 9th, 2017, 12:19
Also interested!

Aggromal
June 10th, 2017, 04:19
I really like this idea and I'd be very interested in being a part of it

rbeard101
June 11th, 2017, 06:19
Sounds like we're close to a group? Maybe one or 2 more? Anyone else interested?

Wazoodust
June 11th, 2017, 15:10
I sent this to couple people that may be interested.....

rbeard101
June 13th, 2017, 16:30
Is everyone on Discord? Would like to start discussing when we could look at playing and what we'd like to start with? Send me an IM

Wazoodust
June 13th, 2017, 16:53
No discord here I can login online, but the program itself will not install on my PC

rbeard101
June 13th, 2017, 18:33
I'm not sure we'll use Discord yet for Voice, I have a private Teamspeak Server also. I'd at least like to use discord for in-between game chat. I HATE the Game Calendar on this site.

No discord here I can login online, but the program itself will not install on my PC

Mgrancey
June 14th, 2017, 03:17
I would enjoy getting back into playing and running. I haven't seen anything about dates or times, so looking to hear when might be done. Work seems to be settling down and being on call is back to 1 in 3 weeks and soon should be 1 in 4 weeks. I don't think I am ready to run a constant campaign. Currently, while I would need to refresh myself I am very experienced with Savage Worlds and DnD 5e, read Cypher System (alot and would really like to run/play), Pathfinder less so (too many books to know more than main stuff).

Currently reading The Dark Eye and Exalted 3rd. with Dragon Age in the pile to read as well. For SW can offer: Deadlands Wild West, a sci-fi space opera I have been working on.

leozelig
June 14th, 2017, 11:24
I don't have it set up currently, but I have been wanting to try it, so Discord works for me.

Mad Nomad
June 14th, 2017, 15:38
I'm also interested. My schedule is erratic so I can't commit to a regularly scheduled game, so this would be perfect.

Mgrancey
June 15th, 2017, 15:13
Hmmm. Idea seems fairly popular, might have a good way to handle. Seen others interested in similar idea will need to investigate.

Aggromal
June 18th, 2017, 04:46
When would be a good time to get together on a VoIP to discuss this?

rbeard101
June 20th, 2017, 01:31
How does Thursday or Friday night this week look for a talk on how we'll do it?

Mgrancey
June 20th, 2017, 03:44
I am usually home by 6, (Eastern Time), which VOIP are we looking at?

rbeard101
June 20th, 2017, 05:05
I'm thinking discord.

Wazoodust
June 22nd, 2017, 04:01
Pick a time or two, be there, and see who can show up, I have an erratic schedule so I won't suggest anything but will try to make it to anything set up.

Mgrancey
June 22nd, 2017, 13:42
That's what i was going to ask is when tonight?

Martin153
June 22nd, 2017, 22:05
Count me in. I can GM Savage Worlds - any setting with notice. I am GMT based though..