PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly, connection failure

Topdecker
June 8th, 2017, 13:34
https://i.imgur.com/uiZz3jK.png

I've have been using FG since Jan 2016 and have hosted ~80 sessions without issue and just recently have started getting the connection failure message :(

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Teufelhunde87
June 8th, 2017, 13:37
Dumb questions like , same router? Same IP? Not static IP?

Topdecker
June 8th, 2017, 13:40
No, there has been no new gear, no new software, nor has a firewall or network setting been enabled or tweaked.

I guess that it is possible that the DSL modem caught a firmware update....

Zacchaeus
June 8th, 2017, 13:53
There's a number of possibilities. Your router may need a reboot, a windows update may have caused the issue requiring you to whitelist FG again in your firewall, an update to your AV may be the cause, if you are on wireless then your internal IP might have changed. There's also the possibility, depending on where you are, that your ISP might have changed you over so that you are sharing an IP address now meaning that you won't be able to use port forwarding.

Topdecker
June 8th, 2017, 14:43
Zacchaeus

1. Modem was rebooted twice
2. AV was disabled once the problem became evident - no change
3. Wired connection to the modem, so no internal IP changes
4. DSL connection - not sure about sharing IP addresses, but I don't think that I have been using port forwarding at all (I have never had to do anything special - FG always worked right away)

So perhaps I now need to use port forwarding?

Is it possible to get the host name or IP address for the FG servers so I can do a trace route?

LordEntrails
June 8th, 2017, 15:05
Just do a traceroute to 8.8.8.8 and post the first ten lines here.

Note, your internal IP may still have changed even though you are on a wired connection. You will want to check that as well.

Trenloe
June 8th, 2017, 15:07
You can get a different IP address when using a wired connection, not just wireless.

If you've been relying on your router doing UPnP port forwarding before, then your first step should be to login to your router and check:
1) That UPnP is enabled. If your router shows active UPnP port forwarding, then load up FG into a campaign and see if the router is showing your current GM IP address and TCP port 1802.
2) If you can't re-enabled/check UPnP, then setup port forwarding. Use TCP port 1802 to the IP address of your GM computer. I'd recommend you also setup that IP address with a static DHCP allocation on the router so that it won't change.
3) If this doesn't work, then your ISP might have changed how you connect to the Internet (most commonly sharing your IP address). In which case you will need to contact your ISP to see if they can do anything, pay for a fixed public IP address or start using a VPN.

Andraax
June 8th, 2017, 15:08
3. Wired connection to the modem, so no internal IP changes

Just a note - being hard wired does not affect whether or not you are assigned a dynamic IP address. Though, if you were working previously without port forwarding, this is not likely to be your problem today. From the info I see, I think it likely that your ISP has started NATing your connection. If this is true, you'll need to setup a VPN of some sort.

Topdecker
June 8th, 2017, 23:42
Since it seemed easy enough, I tried port forwarding and configured 1802 within the DSL modem. Connection success!

I don't know what changed, but it must be firmware related for the modem. Anyhow, thank you all for the suggestions and thank gosh it wasn't a NATed connection issue.