PDA

View Full Version : Does fantasy grounds have the Forgotten Realms ruleset as part of what you purchase?

manshoon
June 8th, 2017, 08:13
As title says

Me and a few others are looking at trying tabletop d&d , and was told about this site.

We are forgotten realms players through and through, so thats why i am asking.

Also as none want to gm this, it will probably come down to myself, who has had very little GM exp, but years and years of actually being a player, so ow hard is it for new gms to get going?

Cheers

Martin153
June 8th, 2017, 09:20
When you say built in.. It has the 3.5, 4e and 5e rulesets built in. This will enable you to play any of these editions from the off. There are many extra purchases that you can get to make life easier. They are not essential. This includes the 5e PHB and DM's guide and the Sword Coast Adventures Guide and many published adventures. It is very easy and there are many tutorials available for you to create modules and your own adventures. You can easily create maps and encounters with a couple of clicks.

In order to DM you will need the Ultimate License. The players can then join your game with just the demo version. Many groups all chip in for the DM to purchase the Ultimate License. You can pay for this monthly and it works out less that ten bucks a month.

It is very easy to get going. The learning curve is much less than 'other' systems. Nearly every skill and item can simply be dragged onto a character sheet. It is then just a matter of clicking a button to work out success, failure, hits and damage. This allows you to DM without getting bogged down in working things out. It is all automated for you.

Hope this helps a little.

I suggest downloading the trial version and playing around and looking through the store to see what is available.

Mavrik6666
June 8th, 2017, 09:25
No specific content ... just the core rules as part of the SRD.. depends on what system you are playing, but it has Pathfinder, 3.5e, 4e and 5e core

If you want specific content - like the PHB. DMG, or rules from Sword Coast etc you have to buy them.... unless you already have the book then you can manually handball them in as needed, or try your hand at using Par5e to capture it yourself

I think its relatively easy to get started, just go slow, start small, build up rules, powers, effect etc as you go, rather than big bang... accept its a learning curve for you and the players.. and dont expect FG to do it all for you, its an online version of written books with some automation.. not a game in its own rite

Enjoy ... not sure of your timezones, but always people willing to take newbies through, there are great YouTube clips on how to do stuff... and if your really stuck give me a holla

Mav

Zacchaeus
June 8th, 2017, 11:38
There isn't really a ruleset for FR as such. For 5e you can add in the Sword Coast Adventure Guide which gives you history/geography information as well as a bunch of new races/backgrounds and class archetypes. There's alos a lot of information that is FR specific in Storm Kings Thunder. As noted above if you have the hardcovers then you should be able to enter into your campaign any FR specific stuff as required. More information on what is needed to DM 5e games here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e).

And welcome to FG and to the community

Griogre
June 8th, 2017, 12:24
To sum it up, rulesets in FG are for supporting game systems: ie D&D 3.x, 4, and 5th editions, Pathfinder, Castles and Crusades, Savage Worlds.

Forgotten Realms is a campaign setting which could be run with any of the above rulesets. It would be easiest to run Forgotten Realms adventures with D&D 5E, if you want to run the published modules - because you can buy add ons with all the information already input. However, you could input it all yourself.

As a new DM it would be easiest for you to run one of the adventures like the Lost Mines of Phandelver or Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat. The adventures are stand alone for the DM - they have all the monsters and other information included.

For the players, while you could go with just the 5E SRD you would likely want the Complete Core Class Pack (PH data) and Sword Coast Legends.

Keep asking questions if something is unclear.

manshoon
June 8th, 2017, 15:40
Sword coast legends? is that a module for the players?

Zacchaeus
June 8th, 2017, 15:46

I think he means the Sword Coast Adventure guide, which is part DM campaign guide and part player race/class/background options.

Trenloe
June 8th, 2017, 15:46

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5ESCAG Is a mixture of campaign setting information (for the GM) and player's guide. It comes with two FG library modules - one for the players and one for the GM.

Griogre
June 9th, 2017, 04:30
Yeah, I meant Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. :p Sorry for the confusion.