PDA

View Full Version : a few 5e combat questions ..

Octavious
June 7th, 2017, 06:15
When making a ranged attack against an enemy when a foe is next to you . The rules say it is taken with disadvantage if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature who can see you and isn't incapacitated.
My question is.. does this apply if you are targeting a foe who is farther than 5 feet away and another foe just so happens to be with in 5 feet or you . Or does it just mean you have a disadvantage on a ranged attack if you are targeting the foe who is within 5 feet of you .

last question.. When making a ranged attack at a foe and a PC is directly blocking the target. Can you make a ranged attack and fire thru the friendly ? Some people say yes and others say no. I cant find a ruling on this in the phb. Is there a rule on this ? or is it the DMs call if this can be done ? There is a ruling that the creature behind would gain 1/2 cover but it doesn't say the friendly in front would never be hit by an attack against he enemy using it as 1/2 cover.

Thanks in advance for any replies .

Vishera
June 7th, 2017, 08:10
Even if you are firing at a target and there is a hostile enemy within 5 feet, you are at a disadvantage. Think of it as a distraction. It's hard to fire off a ranged shot at someone when another creature is right next to you about to take a swing or slash at you.

Firing through a friendly is generally up to the DM. If it is close quarters or the friendly is larger than the creature in front of them which you're firing at, you could incur a disadvantage. If I were a DM and my player was in this situation, I'd have them fire a ranged attack with disadvantage. On a critical fail, they roll to see if they shot their buddy instead.

El Condoro
June 7th, 2017, 08:36
A target has 1/2 cover when behind a creature friend or foe. PHB p. 196 Cover.

Zacchaeus
June 7th, 2017, 08:44
Yes, what El Condoro says, give the target half cover - so a -2 penalty on the shot or give the target +2 AC. It is assumed that your ally is dodging about and keeping out of your line of fire; however if you want to introduce house rules such as Vishera's above then of course you can do.

And I agree with Vishera's interpretation in his answer to your first question.

Nickademus
June 7th, 2017, 09:37
It's not an interpretation; it's the way the rule is:
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/02/11/opportunity-attack-against-ranged-attack/

Zacchaeus
June 7th, 2017, 10:22
It's not an interpretation; it's the way the rule is:
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/02/11/opportunity-attack-against-ranged-attack/

Yes, the word interpretation was superfluous.

Octavious
June 10th, 2017, 07:09
Thanks for the information guys.. that pretty well cleared up the 5 feet rule for me Vishera clarified it pretty well . And I understand the 1/2 cover part of ranged attack . But I think firing a ranged attack directly through a friendly to a enemy behind I just cant let that go . If the enemy gets 1/2 cover then he gets 1/2 cover for a reason ... the arrow or spear just cant pass thru as if the friendly were a phantom and still get 1/2 cover. At least to me anyway ..I think some circumstances Ill take Vishera's advice for a disadvantage , but other than that Im going make them roll an attack on the friendly if they miss the enemy . ( Octavious grins wickedly as he scribes the new house rule onto an old faded parchment.. )

El Condoro
June 10th, 2017, 08:45
There is an optional rule for that DMG p. 272 'Hitting Cover'.

Octavious
June 10th, 2017, 19:05
El Condoro .. Perfect !! that's what I was looking for.. I didn't know that optional rule existed.. that's what I will use then thank you for your information.