PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy to DM?

itsSNAFUagain
June 7th, 2017, 01:19
Just wondering what I should buy to run a session in FG? I currently play with a group on roll20, and would like to do some sessions with them on FG. Right now I think I want to run Curse of Strahd so obviously I would have to purchase that, and the core class pack for my PCs to make their characters. Do I also need to get the Dungeon Master's guide, or any of the monster manuals in order for the encounter in Strahd to work?

LordEntrails
June 7th, 2017, 01:34
Just wondering what I should buy to run a session in FG? I currently play with a group on roll20, and would like to do some sessions with them on FG. Right now I think I want to run Curse of Strahd so obviously I would have to purchase that, and the core class pack for my PCs to make their characters. Do I also need to get the Dungeon Master's guide, or any of the monster manuals in order for the encounter in Strahd to work?
Every adventure module can be used completely stand-alone. The PHB, DMG, MM is not needed to run any published adventure.

As you noted, you probably want the class packs (or the complete packs, which is the PHB) to help automate character creation, but it is not required as you can use classes and races from the SRD and the Basic Rules and manually enter anything else if a player wants. I do think you'll be happy with the PHB (complete class pack), but that's your call.

Do make sure you understand the differences between the standard and ultimate licenses, and that you can buy subscription or a one-time license to fit your needs.

Let us know any other questions.

itsSNAFUagain
June 7th, 2017, 01:40
Thanks for the response, and I do know that I need the Ult license to have other's connect to my game. I think for now I will go with the ult sub, the core class pack, and Strahd itself. Thanks again!

LordEntrails
June 7th, 2017, 02:12
Thanks for the response, and I do know that I need the Ult license to have other's connect to my game. I think for now I will go with the ult sub, the core class pack, and Strahd itself. Thanks again!
Have fun, let us know any questions you have as you dive in.

Zacchaeus
June 7th, 2017, 10:20
More information of the merits of the various options here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e).

Nickademus
June 7th, 2017, 11:00
A second monitor...