PDA

View Full Version : A few requests

Thorlord
January 19th, 2006, 01:34
i havent purchased Fantasy Grounds yet (im still trying to convince the rest of my group that it's worth the money!)

but i have a few requests on the software:
1: OOC is in a bad spot. it would be preferable if there were Chat Tabs that could be created. One Tab for OOC talk (so its not inbetween lines of game talk and distract players) and another tab for prehapse a private GM talk (so OOC would be for people just talking like in a chatroom. and the GM channel would be for game relevant questions)

2: Im still working through the Demo. and so i havent seen everything yet. but an ability to move the starting position of the dice would be nice as well as the chat window and the modifer pannel. in full screen mode they just kinda float there and i would love to customize my DM screen.

3: The pricing is weird. it says you get a 60% discount. but infact it only goes to about 50% for the Lite version. i tested this by adding 10 lite items to the cart and it comes to $103.74 ($10.37 per lite) so is it an error in math or false advertising? the price isint a problem though as $10 a copy is comparatively good to other things i spend $10 on.

4: Some times we just have people listening to our games (we currently use iRC to do D&D) if we moved to this they would also have to pay the full price.. just to listen to the story. would it be possible to make the demo version allowed to connect to player games But not talk or participate, just spectate?

Thorlord
January 20th, 2006, 02:07
the big one is #1. i really need that. mainly because my group is a bunch of jokers, and well, they talk alot about random stuff.

i dont want one guy telling a joke about Giraffes in green text while im being serious with an NPC.

when you switch channels, you go from one mood to another. and thankfuly i can keep a bit of seriousness in my game if gamers are not reading dirty jokes while playing the game. (it would get distracting fast)

my requirement may be obtuse a little bit:
what i mean is. i want a little tab on the Top Left of the chat bar that when pressed will change the text on the chat window to that of something where people can type into which would be consitered "OOC" and if that buttion pressed again would return the chat window back to the gamechat. where gamers could be serious.

richvalle
January 20th, 2006, 05:09
I know what you are talking about...

I think the best solution, if you can, is to use a free voice chat 3rd party program to improve comms in FG. You can either use it for ALL talking while you play or just use it for OOC stuff and keep all in game talking in the chat window.

We started with the 2nd option but soon switched to just using voice for all of it. Typing is just too slow.

rv

Thorlord
January 21st, 2006, 03:40
lol
not all of us have mic's but that would be an option.
i also dont want to have them install too many programs as they are technotards.

Ablefish
January 21st, 2006, 09:58
Heh, believe me - if you can set up a teamspeak server, and get them to spring for $20 dollar mic/headphones, it'll pay for itself in no time.

You don't want to be troubleshooting with only text if you're dealing with the technically challenged. (chances are they're not the greatest typers too...)

festivus
January 21st, 2006, 16:23
I must say that voice chat is really valuable for discussing the finer points of rules. Our game sessions would be really slow if I had to stop and type out all the rulings for everything, instead I just say "Sure, you can soak your leather armor in oil and then run into the swarm of insects, but it is going to sting a bit when the ranger shoots the flaming arrow at you."

richvalle
January 21st, 2006, 16:31
I must say that voice chat is really valuable for discussing the finer points of rules. Our game sessions would be really slow if I had to stop and type out all the rulings for everything, instead I just say "Sure, you can soak your leather armor in oil and then run into the swarm of insects, but it is going to sting a bit when the ranger shoots the flaming arrow at you."

Hah!

Yes, Voice speeds up the game immensely.

If you don't want to setup a server try Skype or even Yahoo Chat. Both work fine.

rv

Thorlord
January 23rd, 2006, 17:12
can skype preform group chat?

richvalle
January 23rd, 2006, 17:45
Yes. I think up to 5 connections is free but you have to pay for more then that.

We tried it once and, for us, it worked better then TeamSpeak. Less delay between when I would say something and they hear it.

rv

Doswelk
January 24th, 2006, 06:55
Hah!

Yes, Voice speeds up the game immensely.

If you don't want to setup a server try Skype or even Yahoo Chat. Both work fine.

rv

We use Gizmo Project rather than skype, we found the quality of the sound is better. The only fun we had was working out how to do conference calls.

Not that hard you all have to dial the same "number" and that's it!

Thorlord
January 27th, 2006, 06:28
see a huge problem with using voice is that it requires them all to buy mics.

they are poor as it is. the $14 each for this game is already hitting them. (then another $15 for the mic)

while it is a good idea. its just adding more cost and another application to install.

Ablefish
January 27th, 2006, 23:35
I honestly don't see how 15 dollars can ever be described as a HUGE problem to anyone. Seriously, that's less than a movie and popcorn, less than half the price of a source book, 3 trips to mcdonalds...

For the amount of benefit you'll get (never mind the fact that you can use the mike with other online games/applications), there must be a way. Paper route or anything - it's worth it.

Thorlord
January 29th, 2006, 02:18
I honestly don't see how 15 dollars can ever be described as a HUGE problem to anyone. Seriously, that's less than a movie and popcorn, less than half the price of a source book, 3 trips to mcdonalds...

For the amount of benefit you'll get (never mind the fact that you can use the mike with other online games/applications), there must be a way. Paper route or anything - it's worth it.
yaah, ill ask them. but many of them are either saving up for something big. or just dont get any income at all as it goes somewhere else or just is non-existant.

lunatis
February 7th, 2006, 21:00
4: Some times we just have people listening to our games (we currently use iRC to do D&D) if we moved to this they would also have to pay the full price.. just to listen to the story. would it be possible to make the demo version allowed to connect to player games But not talk or participate, just spectate?

How about using NetMeeting to do application sharing with one of the players or the DM? That way your friends can watch the game as spectators.