PDA

View Full Version : 5E Concentration Extension

lokiare
June 6th, 2017, 13:46
This extension is now obsolete. V3.3.2 does everything this extension does out of the box.

This extension tracks which effects are concentration effects and if the character that added an effect takes damage, it automatically rolls the concentration saving throw and if it fails it removes the concentration effects that character added to actors in the CT or it notifies the GM and asks if effects should be removed.

To use it:

add ";(c)" to the end of any concentration effect.
Add a power called 'concentration' with any effect that should be applied before rolling.
Add ";(s) <power name>" to effects that have situational concentration effects such as Bladsong adding intelligence modifier to concentration checks while bladesong is active. It will add the <power name> power's effects before automatically rolling.

You can go into "Settings->Combat(GM)->Auto-Roll Concentration Saves" to either get notified when effects might be removed and have a dialog to remove them, or to automatically roll and remove effects on failure.

This is a beta extension, expect bugs and errors. It has not been fully tested.

Known Bugs

Editing an actor's HP on the CT with a 2 digit number will cause the save to be rolled for each digit (Workaround: GM drags and drops number from chat onto wounds to modify).
Doesn't add Proficiency properly (Workaround: add a permanent effect to the character "SAVE:<prof bonus>", where <prof bonus> is the proficiency bonus of the character.).

History
V0.8.0

Fixed bug that required caster to have targeted a creature sometime in the past in order to trigger roll.

V0.7.0

Fixed bug that required caster to be targeting a creature in order to trigger roll.

V0.6.0

Fixed string library regular expression with escaped parenthesis, which makes sure the effect has "(c)" in it.
Fixed Success check to include the modifier.

V0.5.0

Fixed bug where all effects were removed.
Added ability to have situational effects added based on other effects already on character.
Added ability to apply ADV/DIS based on effects and Desktop modifier panel.

V0.4.0

Changed how rTarget variable acquires the 'caster' of the effect.

V0.3.0

Added handlers for both the "label" and "source_name" DB nodes of Effects and waits for both to be created before acting on the Effect.
Added support for already added effects to be picked up and DB handlers to be added to the source actor.

V0.2.0

Added setting to turn off auto-save, instead it prompts the user on whether to remove the effects.
Removed the need for "added by name" text.
Added auto-fail concentration when hp reaches 0.

V0.1.0

Initial release

Nickademus
June 6th, 2017, 13:55
It would be nice if it had an option that the Player could switch that caused it to put a message in the chat window rather than automatically removing the effect. This way, if the character has an ability that interacts with concentration and possibly overrides the failure, the effect's duration isn't lost from it being removed.

Also, how does this interact with the War Caster feat which grants advantage on concentration checks? I didn't see any CONCENADV effect on the wiki.

lokiare
June 7th, 2017, 07:48
It would be nice if it had an option that the Player could switch that caused it to put a message in the chat window rather than automatically removing the effect. This way, if the character has an ability that interacts with concentration and possibly overrides the failure, the effect's duration isn't lost from it being removed.

Also, how does this interact with the War Caster feat which grants advantage on concentration checks? I didn't see any CONCENADV effect on the wiki.

I can add a setting that doesn't automatically roll.

I can also apply an effect before the roll that is named "Concentration" so that any specials you have will be added before you roll.

lokiare
June 7th, 2017, 13:29

I've added the option to get a yes or no dialog to remove effects without it rolling the saving throw for you. New download in first post.

Gwydion
June 7th, 2017, 15:32
Love the idea! I've tried it with "bless" and can't get it to trigger. I've tried with and without spaces after the ; and both lowercase and capital (c), (C) for concentration. Might be an extension conflict as I have many extensions loaded. I've also tried with and without the notification. As a DM should I see the automatic roll? I even took the character who applied the effect down to 0hp to make sure it would auto-fail and nothing happened. I do have an effect targeting extension loaded so perhaps that is conflicting in some way. I'll keep trying it. I have bless coded as : Bless; ATK: 1d4; SAVE: 1d4;(c). I have "targeting" set to "targets" and "effect target" set to none, expend "never".

I'll keep trying but thanks for creating this!

lordjeb
June 7th, 2017, 16:10
I have the same issue as Gwydion. I also tried setting the duration back to 0, so that the effect didn't have the extra "[D: 9]" on the end in the combat tracker, but no luck. I have tried it with all my other extensions turned off.

I can see the settings for auto-rolling this, but they don't seem to do anything for me yet. Please let me know if there's anything else I can try to help narrow this down for you, since it is an awesome extension!

Zacchaeus
June 7th, 2017, 16:26
Phew! It's not just me then :)

Mavrik6666
June 7th, 2017, 16:33
Great idea... and I have run though it a few times with individual .ext turned on and off, but cant find a common thread of failure

I can get it to work, but often ( every other time ) come up with an error on rolling the dice

Script Error: [string "scripts/ConcManager.lua"]:335: attempt to index local 'rTarget' (a nil value)

Also - if as a player, I cast a spell - like Enhance Ability the spell gives an effect I can drop on my ally, but then they have a Concentration effect on them... so when they get attacked, it tries to make a roll... as opposed to the person that cast the spell, bless, bane etc work the same way

way round - I have an effect the player casting the spell clicks so they Have a generic Concentration Effect - but it is an additional task ... I really want this to work

Zephyros
June 7th, 2017, 22:23
Nice idea!

Last game we searched a way to make more visible who is concentrating, a visual aid to remember to roll after the damage. I as dm tried to change the Faction of the player (Ally, Neutral) to have its square with other color, but they reported that they couldn't move the token anymore... so... this extension would be a great solution.

Zacchaeus
June 7th, 2017, 22:31
Yeah, only the DM can move non green characters.

Mavrik6666
June 7th, 2017, 23:35
A little of topic.... but we currently do 'Concentration' with an effect from the players action tab EFFECT; Concentration [SELF] with the player remove extension so they can remove it themselves when they stop or fail... works well, easy to see at the start of a players turn and the DM can see on the CT

But I'd prefer it if the extension worked :)

Mavrik6666
June 8th, 2017, 12:12
Update - the error I am getting seems to be on a failed save

lokiare
June 8th, 2017, 14:22
Thanks for the feedback.

The problem is that the extension uses a DB handler to watch values and then reacts when they are changed, but for some reason its not adding the handlers in certain situations. I'll look into this.

lokiare
June 12th, 2017, 17:40
I've updated the extension.

The problem was that sometimes the source_name DB node was being added and filled in after the label DB node. I fixed it by putting handlers on both and waiting for both to be created before acting on the effect.

Gwydion
June 12th, 2017, 17:43
I've updated the extension.

The problem was that sometimes the source_name DB node was being added and filled in after the label DB node. I fixed it by putting handlers on both and waiting for both to be created before acting on the effect.

Awesome! Can't wait to try this again. Really appreciate it.

Gwydion
June 12th, 2017, 18:08
Just tried this. I dropped bless on a couple characters from one of my characters and then had an NPC give damage to the character who cast bless. Worked perfect when the concentration roll was a success. I see the roll and see "Concentration DC10 Success". However, if it fails I see the die roll and see the result for a second when the die stops rolling, but the result is not posted in chat and the effect is not removed. I also get a script error as follows: Script Error: [string "scripts/ConcManager.lua"]: 359: attempt to index local 'r Target' (a nil value)

I'll check my extensions later. Might be a conflict. Sometimes I also get about 20 lines of runtime notices that say things like "couldn't get the node for the window). I also see in my script errors that it says it couldn't load the dice tower even though I have it turned on in the options.

Will keep playing around with it.

Gwydion
June 12th, 2017, 18:47
Quick update. I loaded a fresh campaign with only the concentration extension loaded. I get the same script error noted in my post above on a failure but I don't get the 20 lines of runtime issues. Also, if the character who casted the concentration spell drops to zero xp, a message pops up in the CT showing the concentration automatic failure and the effect is properly removed. So, for me the only remaining issue I see is if there is a failure due to a roll and not dropping to zero hp, the extension doesn't seem to work.

lokiare
June 13th, 2017, 09:45
Well it's progress. I'll take a look. Can you post the contents of the console? Start the console before doing anything by typing /console in chat. Then after you trigger the error hit the copy button on the console. Thanks for helping out.

Gwydion
June 13th, 2017, 12:29
No problem and thanks again for creating this! Here is the console info:

Runtime Notice: databasenode = { combattracker.list.id-00001.wounds }
Runtime Notice: s'label:ATK: 1d4; SAVE: 1d4; (c)'
Runtime Notice: s'nSource:source_name;path:combattracker.list.id-00002.effects.id-00001.source_name'
Runtime Notice: s'nEffect:id-00001;path:combattracker.list.id-00002.effects.id-00001'
Runtime Notice: s'source:'
Runtime Notice: s'nSource is nil, trying to get .parent.parent.parent.path'
Runtime Notice: s'effects:effects;path:combattracker.list.id-00002.effects'
Runtime Notice: s'character:id-00002;path:combattracker.list.id-00002'
Runtime Notice: s'source:combattracker.list.id-00002'
Runtime Notice: s'v:id-00002;path:combattracker.list.id-00002'
Runtime Notice: s'nSource:source_name;path:combattracker.list.id-00002.effects.id-00001.source_name'
Runtime Notice: s'nEffect:id-00001;path:combattracker.list.id-00002.effects.id-00001'
Runtime Notice: s'source:combattracker.list.id-00001'
Runtime Notice: s'v:id-00001;path:combattracker.list.id-00001'
Runtime Notice: s'Lost HP'
Runtime Notice: s'DC:10'
Runtime Notice: { s'shortcuts' = { #1 = { }, #2 = { } }, s'type' = s'concentration', s'description' = s'[CONCENTRATION]', s'slots' = { #1 = { s'metadata' = { s'aDice' = { #1 = s'd20' }, s'sSource' = s'', s'nTarget' = #10, s'sType' = s'concentration', s'bSecret' = bFALSE, s'nMode' = #0, s'sDesc' = s'[CONCENTRATION]' }, s'dice' = { #1 = s'd20' } } } }
Runtime Notice: { s'aDice' = { #1 = s'd20' }, s'sSource' = s'', s'nTarget' = #10, s'sType' = s'concentration', s'bSecret' = bFALSE, s'nMode' = #0, s'sDesc' = s'[CONCENTRATION]' }
Runtime Notice: { s'sDesc' = s'[CONCENTRATION]', s'aDice' = { #1 = { s'result' = #18, s'type' = s'd20' } }, s'nMod' = #0, s'sSource' = s'', s'sType' = s'concentration', s'nTarget' = s'10', s'nMode' = s'0', s'bSecret' = bFALSE }
Runtime Notice: nil
Database Notice: Campaign saved.
Runtime Notice: { s'shortcuts' = { #1 = { }, #2 = { } }, s'type' = s'concentration', s'description' = s'[CONCENTRATION]', s'slots' = { #1 = { s'metadata' = { s'aDice' = { #1 = s'd20' }, s'sSource' = s'', s'nTarget' = #10, s'sType' = s'concentration', s'bSecret' = bFALSE, s'nMode' = #0, s'sDesc' = s'[CONCENTRATION]' }, s'dice' = { #1 = s'd20' } } } }
Runtime Notice: { s'aDice' = { #1 = s'd20' }, s'sSource' = s'', s'nTarget' = #10, s'sType' = s'concentration', s'bSecret' = bFALSE, s'nMode' = #0, s'sDesc' = s'[CONCENTRATION]' }
Runtime Notice: { s'sDesc' = s'[CONCENTRATION]', s'aDice' = { #1 = { s'result' = #7, s'type' = s'd20' } }, s'nMod' = #0, s'sSource' = s'', s'sType' = s'concentration', s'nTarget' = s'10', s'nMode' = s'0', s'bSecret' = bFALSE }
Script Error: [string "scripts/ConcManager.lua"]:359: attempt to index local 'rTarget' (a nil value)

lokiare
June 13th, 2017, 20:22
No problem and thanks again for creating this! Here is the console info:

Runtime Notice: s'source:'
Runtime Notice: s'nSource is nil, trying to get .parent.parent.parent.path'
Runtime Notice: s'effects:effects;path:combattracker.list.id-00002.effects'
Runtime Notice: s'character:id-00002;path:combattracker.list.id-00002'
Runtime Notice: s'v:id-00002;path:combattracker.list.id-00002'
Runtime Notice: s'v:id-00001;path:combattracker.list.id-00001'
Runtime Notice: { s'sDesc' = s'[CONCENTRATION]', s'aDice' = { #1 = { s'result' = #18, s'type' = s'd20' } }, s'nMod' = #0, s'sSource' = s'', s'sType' = s'concentration', s'nTarget' = s'10', s'nMode' = s'0', s'bSecret' = bFALSE }
Database Notice: Campaign saved.
Runtime Notice: { s'sDesc' = s'[CONCENTRATION]', s'aDice' = { #1 = { s'result' = #7, s'type' = s'd20' } }, s'nMod' = #0, s'sSource' = s'', s'sType' = s'concentration', s'nTarget' = s'10', s'nMode' = s'0', s'bSecret' = bFALSE }
Script Error: [string "scripts/ConcManager.lua"]:359: attempt to index local 'rTarget' (a nil value)

Give the new version a try. I tested it locally with 'localhost' and with someone else connected as a client, so it should work now.

Gwydion
June 13th, 2017, 20:29
Give the new version a try. I tested it locally with 'localhost' and with someone else connected as a client, so it should work now.

Yes! Seems to work perfectly now. Really appreciate it. I'll start adding back in my extensions to see if any others conflict with it just for your info, but this seems to work great now. I'll post any other items I run into as I play around with it. Very cool.

lokiare
June 13th, 2017, 21:52
Next up I've added in the ability to auto-add an effect on the character that is named "concentration". However I now have to add into my roll handler the ability to pick up SAV, ADVSAV, and DISSAV effects when it rolls the save for it to have any real effect.

Nickademus
June 14th, 2017, 04:42
Editing an actor's HP on the CT with a 2 digit number will cause the save to be rolled for each digit (Workaround: GM drags and drops number from chat onto wounds to modify).

Does this work? I thought the ability to drag numbers onto the wounds field was disabled.

Mavrik6666
June 14th, 2017, 12:05
Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but on a failed roll (which now doesn't give an error :) ) it removes all effects from the failed roll, even effects that aren't (C)

anyone else having this issue ? or is it an extension conflict ?

{addendum} tried it with no extensions, and still happening - PC that has an effect on (like resist: fire - from an item) it removes the effect if they fail their save

Mavrik6666
June 14th, 2017, 12:39
Another quick one - isn't a concentration check a Constitution saving throw - so it should be adding in the PC's save bonus for stat and saving throw proficiency - i seems a straight dice roll

Mav

Gwydion
June 14th, 2017, 13:27
Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but on a failed roll (which now doesn't give an error :) ) it removes all effects from the failed roll, even effects that aren't (C)

anyone else having this issue ? or is it an extension conflict ?

{addendum} tried it with no extensions, and still happening - PC that has an effect on (like resist: fire - from an item) it removes the effect if they fail their save

Interesting. I hadn't tried it yet with additional effects on the character so it sounds like it is an issue.

lokiare
June 15th, 2017, 14:27
I'm aware of all of these issues and working to get them fixed. Thanks.

Gwydion
June 16th, 2017, 01:39
I'm aware of all of these issues and working to get them fixed. Thanks.

Thanks for all your work on this!

edem
June 16th, 2017, 09:14
Hi,

I tried to use the extension, but it does not seem to work. I turned off all my other extensions, I tried both (c) and (C), with or without a space before the (, double clicking on the damage, or dragging it from the npc power or the chat window, and it did not roll for concentration. I tested it with an effect added manually and another added via a character's abilitiy. I had it set to auto-roll (note, to conform with the other settings, you might want to capitalise the options, to 'Auto' and 'Notify' - also may I suggest an 'Off' setting, in case someone wants to temporarily disable it without restarting the host?)
Please advise me about all the required steps for setting it up.

Mavrik6666
June 16th, 2017, 15:23
Hi Edem

There is no setup, if its clicked on in extension options at the start , it auto rolls when even you take damage, or notifies you if you have 'notify' on - it seems to auto notify or roll , even if they have no effects on

with regard to concentration .. do you have a ; after the effect ... ie ADVCHK: constitution; (C)

edem
June 16th, 2017, 17:36
Hi Edem

There is no setup, if its clicked on in extension options at the start , it auto rolls when even you take damage, or notifies you if you have 'notify' on - it seems to auto notify or roll , even if they have no effects on

with regard to concentration .. do you have a ; after the effect ... ie ADVCHK: constitution; (C)

Zacchaeus
June 16th, 2017, 23:49
In you screenshot there are two effects, the first being Longstrider. Speed is not a condition or an effect that FG recognises so it will just ignore it. The other two should be IFT: TYPE(undead) etc.

edem
June 17th, 2017, 00:18
In you screenshot there are two effects, the first being Longstrider. Speed is not a condition or an effect that FG recognises so it will just ignore it. The other two should be IFT: TYPE(undead) etc.
To be honest, the extension is more or less useless if it only works on effects that are recognised by FantasyGrounds, since what it should do is to roll a concentration check on effects that are marked with (c), and remove them on a failure.

Zacchaeus
June 17th, 2017, 09:02
To be honest, the extension is more or less useless if it only works on effects that are recognised by FantasyGrounds, since what it should do is to roll a concentration check on effects that are marked with (c), and remove them on a failure.

This was just a guess. I can't get the extension to work either. I can get the pop up box if I have the notify option turned on but I have been unable to get the concentration check to roll. Lokiare1 is still working on it, so all is not yet lost.

(And note that I do get the pop up if I enter an effect like the longstrider one in your graphic but again the check doesn't roll)

lokiare
June 19th, 2017, 22:28
Hi Edem

Hi,

I tried to use the extension, but it does not seem to work. I turned off all my other extensions, I tried both (c) and (C), with or without a space before the (, double clicking on the damage, or dragging it from the npc power or the chat window, and it did not roll for concentration. I tested it with an effect added manually and another added via a character's abilitiy. I had it set to auto-roll (note, to conform with the other settings, you might want to capitalise the options, to 'Auto' and 'Notify' - also may I suggest an 'Off' setting, in case someone wants to temporarily disable it without restarting the host?)
Please advise me about all the required steps for setting it up.

This was just a guess. I can't get the extension to work either. I can get the pop up box if I have the notify option turned on but I have been unable to get the concentration check to roll. Lokiare1 is still working on it, so all is not yet lost.

(And note that I do get the pop up if I enter an effect like the longstrider one in your graphic but again the check doesn't roll)

If you can open the console by typing /console and then try to apply and remove effects and then copy and paste the console content here, I can take a look and see what's going on. It will help me track the problems down. Since this is a beta, I've left debugging messages on and there should be a lot of output to the console.

lokiare
June 22nd, 2017, 21:07
I've added an update that fixes some of the bugs.

If you go into the settings and under the "Combat (GM)" category there is a setting called "Auto-Roll Concentration Saves". If this is set to "auto-roll" it will not prompt to remove effects and it will automatically roll the saving throws whenever the caster takes damage and if they fail the saving throw it will automatically remove the effects. If you set "Auto-Roll Concentration Saves" to "notify" it will not roll the save at all, but it will prompt you to remove the effects. This is for when a GM wants more control or wants their players to manually roll the saving throw and then based on the result the GM can click yes or no.

Let me know if this fixes the problems that everyone is reporting.

Gwydion
June 22nd, 2017, 21:11
I've added an update that fixes some of the bugs.

If you go into the settings and under the "Combat (GM)" category there is a setting called "Auto-Roll Concentration Saves". If this is set to "auto-roll" it will not prompt to remove effects and it will automatically roll the saving throws whenever the caster takes damage and if they fail the saving throw it will automatically remove the effects. If you set "Auto-Roll Concentration Saves" to "notify" it will not roll the save at all, but it will prompt you to remove the effects. This is for when a GM wants more control or wants their players to manually roll the saving throw and then based on the result the GM can click yes or no.

Let me know if this fixes the problems that everyone is reporting.

Thanks, Lokiare! I'll test this out tonight. Do you know if it is updated to remove only the effects with a (c) instead of removing all effects on a failure?

lokiare
June 22nd, 2017, 21:59
Thanks, Lokiare! I'll test this out tonight. Do you know if it is updated to remove only the effects with a (c) instead of removing all effects on a failure?

Theoretically it should (and does on my machine), but let me know if it works or if there are any problems and give me a copy of the console output and I'll see if I can fix any problems you have.

Gwydion
June 23rd, 2017, 02:37
Theoretically it should (and does on my machine), but let me know if it works or if there are any problems and give me a copy of the console output and I'll see if I can fix any problems you have.

I tested it tonight and it seems to be working for me. This is awesome, Lokiare! Really appreciate it.

Mavrik6666
June 23rd, 2017, 10:20
Will concur with the awesome... seems to be working great, just tested it out with a simple encounter, not in anger with a group yet.. but all seems great ;
Only rolls a check for those with a concentration effect (C), if you dont have all those worked out, create a single power called concentration; (C), and have your player add it when ever they cast a spell with it

Makes the roll, adds the bonus, if they succeed great, if not all (C) effects are removed from the player, not all effects.. and any effect they have imparted to others on the CT get removed also

Great Work

Mav

DragonsDen13
June 23rd, 2017, 13:30
Does it automatically adjust for when a character has Advantage on Concentration Rolls?

Gwydion
June 23rd, 2017, 13:40
Does it automatically adjust for when a character has Advantage on Concentration Rolls?

It seems to. I just added an advantage constitution effect on a character and applied damage and it rolled the con check with advantage automatically.

DragonsDen13
June 23rd, 2017, 14:48
Trying to use this using Barkskin.
I added "; (c)" <without quotes> to the end of the affect.

I am a little confused on the other steps listed. If I have nothing that affects this (advantage, etc.) should it automatically roll whenever the character takes damage or is there something else that has to be done?

Gwydion
June 23rd, 2017, 14:54
Trying to use this using Barkskin.
I added "; (c)" <without quotes> to the end of the affect.

I am a little confused on the other steps listed. If I have nothing that affects this (advantage, etc.) should it automatically roll whenever the character takes damage or is there something else that has to be done?

Yes. So if you created an effect underneath barkskin in your actions tab that reads something like Barkskin; (c) and have the target set as "self", if you click the effect it should apply it to you and you should see it on your character in the combat tracker. If you then drop an npc into the combat tracker and target your character and roll damage you should see it auto-roll the concentration save. If its a success it will just say "success". If its a failure it should automatically take off any effects applied from that character that are concentration and have a "(c)" next to them (whether they are applied to that character or other characters.

DragonsDen13
June 23rd, 2017, 15:16
Hmmm. I did not add a second effect for Barkskin. I just added the "; (c)" to the end of the Barksin existing effect. It reads something like, "Barkskin; concentration; AC: 5; (c)"

I had a creature attack and deal damage but did not see anything in the chat window about a roll for saving.

I will try it again and double check that I didn't miss it.

Gwydion
June 23rd, 2017, 15:23
Hmmm. I did not add a second effect for Barkskin. I just added the "; (c)" to the end of the Barksin existing effect. It reads something like, "Barkskin; concentration; AC: 5; (c)"

I had a creature attack and deal damage but did not see anything in the chat window about a roll for saving.

That should have worked. I'll check again shortly. I must have missed that the effect was already coded. Adding a (c) should have worked.

Mavrik6666
June 23rd, 2017, 15:26
I just tried it, exactly as you have your spell setup, worked perfectly

Mavrik6666
June 23rd, 2017, 15:38
It seems to. I just added an advantage constitution effect on a character and applied damage and it rolled the con check with advantage automatically.

I suppose the only issue is, there is no concentration effect to give advantage too, if you have ADVSAV: constitution, to account for it, its for all saves not just concentration ones

Gwydion
June 23rd, 2017, 16:51

One other thing just to make absolutely sure we are talking apples ---> apples. I looked up the barkskin spell in the PHB again and there is no effect as it simply states the targets AC can't be less than 16. So, just to confirm, are you using the 5E ruleset or something else? I believe this extension will only work for 5E right now as written.

Zacchaeus
June 23rd, 2017, 22:19
One other thing just to make absolutely sure we are talking apples ---> apples. I looked up the barkskin spell in the PHB again and there is no effect as it simply states the targets AC can't be less than 16. So, just to confirm, are you using the 5E ruleset or something else? I believe this extension will only work for 5E right now as written.

But you can set up an effect for it; if, say, your normal AC is 13 then an effect if AC:3 will provide the correct result (I assume the OP has an AC of 11 - hence the AC 5)

DragonsDen13
June 23rd, 2017, 23:01
But you can set up an effect for it; if, say, your normal AC is 13 then an effect if AC:3 will provide the correct result (I assume the OP has an AC of 11 - hence the AC 5)

That is exactly what I did. However, I still don't seem to get it to work.

Is there something else I need to do, other than adding the "; (c)" to the end of my effect?

I am not sure if there is something else that I need to add or do. I really like what this extension offers.

Zacchaeus
June 23rd, 2017, 23:18
I actually couldn't get it to work either, but I need to test it further. Pressed for time to do so right now. If you type /consile into chat and then try the effect a couple of times and then go back into the console and copy the result and paste it in here Lokiar1 can have a look to see if there's still a problem.

edem
June 24th, 2017, 00:25

And I still state that the extension should not care if the effect is valid or just a note, cause it should not try to resolve he actual effect; if it has the (c) roll for it, and remove the effect if the check fails. Certain abilities and spells (i.e. Hypnotic Pattern) can only be properly coded by adding the effect to the targets, but keep the concentration note on yourself, otherwise the targets would roll the concentration checks...

Zacchaeus
June 24th, 2017, 02:09
And I still state that the extension should not care if the effect is valid or just a note, cause it should not try to resolve he actual effect; if it has the (c) roll for it, and remove the effect if the check fails. Certain abilities and spells (i.e. Hypnotic Pattern) can only be properly coded by adding the effect to the targets, but keep the concentration note on yourself, otherwise the targets would roll the concentration checks...
Isn't this what it does? In order for it to work in must cycle through all effects on the target that's taking the damage to check to see if they have any effects on them with concentration in the tag.

Gwydion
June 24th, 2017, 13:52
Isn't this what it does? In order for it to work in must cycle through all effects on the target that's taking the damage to check to see if they have any effects on them with concentration in the tag.

Edem, it seems to work for me the way it should. It removes any effects (as far as I can tell), only if the (c) is there. Whether it is a "note" or true effect. DragonDen, I asked if you were using the 5E ruleset as I though maybe you were using pathfinder given your description of barkskin. Just wanted to make sure you were using 5E. I'll keep testing, but it does seem to work for me unless I'm missing something.

DragonsDen13
June 24th, 2017, 17:23
This extension tracks which effects are concentration effects and if the character that added an effect takes damage, it automatically rolls the concentration saving throw and if it fails it removes the concentration effects that character added to actors in the CT or it notifies the GM and asks if effects should be removed.

To use it:

add ";(c)" to the end of any concentration effect.
Add a power called 'concentration' with any effect that should be applied before rolling.
Add ";(s) <power name>" to effects that have situational concentration effects such as Bladsong adding intelligence modifier to concentration checks while bladesong is active. It will add the <power name> power's effects before automatically rolling.

Yes, I am using 5e.

It is the second and third thing above that has me confused. And perhaps why it is not working for me.

Can you explain these to me or are they different things that have nothing to do with the first part. Sorry for being a bit slow on this.

Mavrik6666
June 24th, 2017, 18:39
The second one is about creating a Power on your character sheet for a Concentration Effect - Where you cast a spell that may not have a specific effect, but you want to keep track that a player is Concentrating, they can have an effect on their sheet, they enact, and then if then take damage the extension will remove the fact they are concentrating. As a DM you will know its gone.... maybe something like Arcane Gate, you want to know the player is concentrating, but the spell has no effect to it.

EFFECT: Concentrating; (C)

Trenloe
June 24th, 2017, 20:04
Yes, I am using 5e.

It is the second and third thing above that has me confused. And perhaps why it is not working for me.

Can you explain these to me or are they different things that have nothing to do with the first part. Sorry for being a bit slow on this.
There does indeed seem to be confusion over these two.

"Add a power called 'concentration' with any effect that should be applied before rolling."

lokiare1 has coded into the process the ability to set power entries in the PC action tab that will apply additional effects just before rolling the concentration check. This is a nice feature and allows effects just for the check to be applied automatically.

For example, it's been discussed earlier in this thread about PCs having advantage on concentration checks, but not constitution saves in general. Simple - create a power called concentration and give that power an action -> effect of ADVSAV. This will be automatically applied, and then removed, for concentration checks triggered by this extension.

"Add ";(s) <power name>" to effects that have situational concentration effects such as Bladsong adding intelligence modifier to concentration checks while bladesong is active. It will add the <power name> power's effects before automatically rolling."

This is an active effect in the combat tracker that will add the effects linked to a power before rolling. Similar to the "concentration" power (in terms of adding an effect before rolling), but the ";(s) <power name>" effect needs to be active in the combat tracker.

Trenloe
June 24th, 2017, 20:10
I actually couldn't get it to work either...
Me neither, so I looked in the code.

@lokiare1 - The ConcentrationSavingThrow function gets the current targets that the concentrating PC has in combat tracker using local nTargets = nSource.getChild("targets"); The code will only do the roll if nTargets is valid - i.e. the concentrating effect owner has someone targeted in the CT. If the concentrating effect owner does not have anything targeted the "targets" node will not exist and the save roll will not occur.

I think a lot of us who've been testing this have not had anything targeted by the concentrating creature - which is why it doesn't work for us.

DragonsDen13
June 24th, 2017, 20:16
There does indeed seem to be confusion over these two.

"Add a power called 'concentration' with any effect that should be applied before rolling."

lokiare1 has coded into the process the ability to set power entries in the PC action tab that will apply additional effects just before rolling the concentration check. This is a nice feature and allows effects just for the check to be applied automatically.

For example, it's been discussed earlier in this thread about PCs having advantage on concentration checks, but not constitution saves in general. Simple - create a power called concentration and give that power an action -> effect of ADVSAV. This will be automatically applied, and then removed, for concentration checks triggered by this extension.

"Add ";(s) <power name>" to effects that have situational concentration effects such as Bladsong adding intelligence modifier to concentration checks while bladesong is active. It will add the <power name> power's effects before automatically rolling."

This is an active effect in the combat tracker that will add the effects linked to a power before rolling. Similar to the "concentration" power (in terms of adding an effect before rolling), but the ";(s) <power name>" effect needs to be active in the combat tracker.

Okay, I think I am getting a better handle on the first one but to make sure:
I create a new power with the effect "Concentration; ADVSAV; (c)
Is this automatically removed when I fail concentration rolls and would then need to be reapplied?
Doesn't this give advantage on all saves?

I think I get what the second one is supposed to do. It applies any modifiers to the concentration rolls before having the system make them. Is that right? Could I get an example of how this would be written, might help me understand it better.

Thanks.

Trenloe
June 24th, 2017, 20:28
Okay, I think I am getting a better handle on the first one but to make sure:
I create a new power with the effect "Concentration; ADVSAV; (c)
If you plan to add this to the combat tracker, then no.

Just create the power called concentration and give it the ADVSAV effect. Nothing more. Don't apply it to the combat tracker. This power will be looked for during any future automatic concentration checks, and the effect applied just for the automatic concentration roll. Don't add this power's effect to the combat tracker.

Then, if your PC is concentrating, add an effect to the combat tracker that has the ";(c)" at the end - this is the trigger for the auto concentration check when that effect owner takes damage.

For example, Barkskin, that has been mentioned earlier. If the creature's base AC was 13, the effect to raise this to AC 16 is: AC: 3. However, Barkskin has a duration of concentration (up to one hour), so create the effect as something like: Barkskin; AC: 3; (c) Barkskin; is just a label so you know what the effect is, and the "(c)" at the end is what triggers the auto concentration roll when the effect owner takes damage.

Moon Wizard
June 24th, 2017, 20:33
The extension should probably be checking every creature in the combat tracker to see if they have any effects containing "(C)" and originating from the damaged creature (including itself).

That's how I would approach it.

Regards,
JPG

DragonsDen13
June 24th, 2017, 20:48
If you plan to add this to the combat tracker, then no.

Just create the power called concentration and give it the ADVSAV effect. Nothing more. Don't apply it to the combat tracker. This power will be looked for during any future automatic concentration checks, and the effect applied just for the automatic concentration roll. Don't add this power's effect to the combat tracker.

Then, if your PC is concentrating, add an effect to the combat tracker that has the ";(c)" at the end - this is the trigger for the auto concentration check when that effect owner takes damage.

For example, Barkskin, that has been mentioned earlier. If the creature's base AC was 13, the effect to raise this to AC 16 is: AC: 3. However, Barkskin has a duration of concentration (up to one hour), so create the effect as something like: Barkskin; AC: 3; (c) Barkskin; is just a label so you know what the effect is, and the "(c)" at the end is what triggers the auto concentration roll when the effect owner takes damage.

Thanks for the clarification/example. I doubt I would have figured that "concentration; ADVSAV" part out on my own.

Strange, your Barkskin example is what I have on my character sheet and it isn't working. When loading my test campaign, I selected the concentration extension so it should be working unless there is something else needed to activate it.

Trenloe
June 24th, 2017, 20:59
Strange, your Barkskin example is what I have on my character sheet and it isn't working. When loading my test campaign, I selected the concentration extension so it should be working unless there is something else needed to activate it.
See my comments regarding an issue with this extension not working in post #59 above.

Trenloe
June 24th, 2017, 21:02
Thanks for the clarification/example. I doubt I would have figured that "concentration; ADVSAV" part out on my own.
Do not call the power this. Call the power concentration and then manually add (via the right-click menu) -> Action -> Effect and use ADVSAV for the effect. The Power name should only be concentration nothing else.

Zacchaeus
June 24th, 2017, 21:07
I said earlier I couldn't get it to work but I have since done further testing. I was testing on a basically blank character but I have now tested on a properly built one and this extension works just fine. It works with any effect whether a 'real' effect or a 'false' one which doen't have any real effect (such as the Longstrider example above).

Trenloe
June 24th, 2017, 21:21
I said earlier I couldn't get it to work but I have since done further testing. I was testing on a basically blank character ...
It is not related to whether it's a blank character or a fully built one. The main issue is described here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38649-5E-Concentration-Extension&p=343586&viewfull=1#post343586 The code looks for a database node called "targets" attached to the concentration effect creature, if it doesn't find one then it won't roll the concentration check. The database node "targets" will usually only be there if the creature has someone targeted, but may be present if that creature has targeted someone previously.

Until there is a fix for this, if you want this to work 100% now - make sure the creature with the concentration effect has someone targeted.

Zacchaeus
June 24th, 2017, 21:31
It is not related to whether it's a blank character or a fully built one. The main issue is described here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38649-5E-Concentration-Extension&p=343586&viewfull=1#post343586 The code looks for a database node called "targets" attached to the concentration effect creature, if it doesn't find one then it won't roll the concentration check. The database node "targets" will usually only be there if the creature has someone targeted, but may be present if that creature has targeted someone previously.

Until there is a fix for this, if you want this to work 100% now - make sure the creature with the concentration effect has someone targeted.

Yes, you are correct of course :)

BTW: your signature block needs updating - you're taling up too much room in the forum :)

lokiare
June 25th, 2017, 05:38
Thanks for all the help tracking bugs and suggestions. I'll try to put a tutorial together to show how to use it. Or I might build one into the extension that walks you through the steps.

I'll also see if I can't fix this latest bug.

DragonsDen13
June 25th, 2017, 06:52

This may be what my issue has been. I typically don't target but drag and drop attacks and damage on to tokens on the map or on the CT. I will give it another try with this new information.

Thank you.

Gwydion
June 25th, 2017, 13:56
Excellent. I love this extension. I used it last night for my one-shot and I need to watch the video again to confirm, but I think the only other issue I saw (and my players saw) was that it seemed to sometimes roll concentration checks for players who took damage regardless of whether or not they actually were concentrating on anything. So, it didn't really affect anything as no effects were removed in these instances, it was just odd. I don't think it was 100% either. I believe it happened only in the same round that another player actually was concentrating. It was almost like if one player was concentrating and the extension triggered a roll, then anytime another player in that round took damage, an auto-concentration roll occurred for each player, without regard to whether they were concentrating.

I know that doesn't help a ton! I'll try and recreate this with the console on and post the results.

lokiare
June 25th, 2017, 21:59
The extension should probably be checking every creature in the combat tracker to see if they have any effects containing "(C)" and originating from the damaged creature (including itself).

That's how I would approach it.

Regards,
JPG

That's exactly how it works.

lokiare
June 25th, 2017, 22:04
I've fixed the bug that requires the caster to have targets before the extension will auto-roll saves. I've posted a new version in the first post.

lokiare
June 25th, 2017, 22:31
Tutorial: How to use the 5E Concentration Extension

First hit the load campaign button:

Select the campaign you want to load by clicking on it. Then below the campaign list find "Concentration 5E" and click the little circle to the left of it. After that click "Start"

After the campaign loads, click the gear button on the top right to open the settings:

Scroll down to the "Combat (GM)" section and find "Auto-Roll Concentration saves". You can set this to either "notify" or "auto-roll".

Now have each player add ";(c)" to their spells and powers that require concentration.

When set to notify

When it is set to "notify" any time a character that has used a ";(c)" effect takes damage, the GM will be notified with a popup window that asks whether the extension should remove the effects. This is so that groups that like to house rule or manually roll can do so before the GM decides to remove the concentration effects. The GM will also be notified with the popup if the character's hit points are 0.

When set to auto-roll

When it is set to "auto-roll" any time a character that used a ";(c)" effect takes damage, the extension will automatically roll the concentration save and if it fails it will remove all effects added by that character that have ";(c)" in them. The effects will also be removed if that character is reduced to 0 hit points.

Automatically adding in bonuses/penalties or Advantage/Disadvantage to auto-rolled saving throws (Optional)

If a character has a power called "concentration", when the extension auto-rolls the concentration saving throw it will automatically apply the effects in that power to the character. Please note that you should have the concentration power effects set to [SELF] and [ROLL] like this:

That way they are set to the character that is making the concentration save and that they are removed after a single roll. This is completely optional and does nothing if you have the extension set to 'notify'.

Automatically apply the effects of a power when you auto-roll a concentration save (Optional)

If you want the effects of a power to be automatically applied to the character that is making the concentration saving throw, first make a power and call it whatever you want. In this example the power is called bladesong:

Then in another power add ";(s)<power name>" where <power name> is the name of the power you just created. Like this:

To see this in action, apply the second power you created with ";(s)" in it to your character in the Combat Tracker and have them apply some concentration effect and then take damage.

DragonsDen13
June 26th, 2017, 00:43
None of the "Attachment...." seem to be working.

DragonsDen13
June 26th, 2017, 04:00
I finally got a chance to try this again, after d/ling version 7. It made the automatic roll if I have something targeted but does not seem to work if I don't have a target selected. When it did roll, it did remove the concentration effect when the roll was a failure.

I have also found something interesting, it does not cause a roll to happen, if the character takes damage when they have temporary hit points and no actual hit point damage is recorded.

Trenloe
June 26th, 2017, 04:11
I've fixed the bug that requires the caster to have targets before the extension will auto-roll saves. I've posted a new version in the first post.
I don't think this is fully fixed. The extension still relies on local nTargets = nSource.getChild("targets"); returning a valid nTargets database node. There are cases when the "targets" database node is not present in the FG database.

To recreate - remove every character from the combat tracker, add a couple of characters to the combat tracker, don't do any targeting at all, apply a test concentration effect to one character, drag/drop damage from another to that character. You'll get the following error: Script Error: [string "scripts/ConcManager.lua"]:534: attempt to index local 'nTargets' (a nil value)

DragonsDen13
June 26th, 2017, 04:17
Also, I have created the power "Concentration" with the effect "ADVSAV" (set to self). It does make the advantage roll when making the save.

Interesting occurrence while testing this, if I had a target selected originally and later do not have one, it will still make the save roll (as well as the advantage for it) but it sets the character target to itself. I am not sure that is what you intended but something to be aware of. It does not change the character's target if they have something else targeted.

LordEntrails
June 26th, 2017, 04:37
I have also found something interesting, it does not cause a roll to happen, if the character takes damage when they have temporary hit points and no actual hit point damage is recorded.
I don't know if it should or not. This is a debate my group has had and I have yet to find a rule reference that says one way or another. I'm sure if I put the right phrases together I would get it. I guess for us it comes down to do temp HP prevent damage?

DragonsDen13
June 26th, 2017, 06:20
I don't know if it should or not. This is a debate my group has had and I have yet to find a rule reference that says one way or another. I'm sure if I put the right phrases together I would get it. I guess for us it comes down to do temp HP prevent damage?

I like what I see online which is quoting the PHB, "Temporary hit points aren't actual hit points; they are a buffer against damage, a pool of hit points that protect you from injury." (page 198 - FG Ch. 9/Damage & Healing). This would indicate to me that they do not require a concentration check but I am sure there are other things that can lean it the other way.

On topic, I really like what you have done with this so far lokiare1. I think this is a nice automation that FG can definitely use to remove the onus from players/dms to remember. This is exactly what I want something like FG to do, remove the tedious bookkeeping of roleplaying and allowing everyone to concentrate on the playing itself. Thank you.

Moon Wizard
June 26th, 2017, 08:30
I found this reference regarding concentration checks and temporary hit points.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/55609/is-a-concentration-check-required-when-temporary-hitpoints-absorb-all-the-damage

Cheers,
JPG

lokiare
June 26th, 2017, 19:16
I don't think this is fully fixed. The extension still relies on local nTargets = nSource.getChild("targets"); returning a valid nTargets database node. There are cases when the "targets" database node is not present in the FG database.

To recreate - remove every character from the combat tracker, add a couple of characters to the combat tracker, don't do any targeting at all, apply a test concentration effect to one character, drag/drop damage from another to that character. You'll get the following error: Script Error: [string "scripts/ConcManager.lua"]:534: attempt to index local 'nTargets' (a nil value)

Hmmm.... Thanks for running this down. I'll try to get it fixed soon.

Also, I have created the power "Concentration" with the effect "ADVSAV" (set to self). It does make the advantage roll when making the save.

Interesting occurrence while testing this, if I had a target selected originally and later do not have one, it will still make the save roll (as well as the advantage for it) but it sets the character target to itself. I am not sure that is what you intended but something to be aware of. It does not change the character's target if they have something else targeted.

This is intentional. It was necessary to properly apply the effect without having the [SELF] feature. It should set your targets to none if you had nothing targeted before.

I like what I see online which is quoting the PHB, "Temporary hit points aren't actual hit points; they are a buffer against damage, a pool of hit points that protect you from injury." (page 198 - FG Ch. 9/Damage & Healing). This would indicate to me that they do not require a concentration check but I am sure there are other things that can lean it the other way.

On topic, I really like what you have done with this so far lokiare1. I think this is a nice automation that FG can definitely use to remove the onus from players/dms to remember. This is exactly what I want something like FG to do, remove the tedious bookkeeping of roleplaying and allowing everyone to concentrate on the playing itself. Thank you.

Thanks, I agree. Which is why I'm doing it...lol.

I finally got a chance to try this again, after d/ling version 7. It made the automatic roll if I have something targeted but does not seem to work if I don't have a target selected. When it did roll, it did remove the concentration effect when the roll was a failure.

I found this reference regarding concentration checks and temporary hit points.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/55609/is-a-concentration-check-required-when-temporary-hitpoints-absorb-all-the-damage

Cheers,
JPG

It seems that there is enough contention on this issue to register another option which will allow it to roll when you take temporary hit point damage and another option for only real damage. I think because of Moon Wizard's link, I'll default to Temp HP damage causes the roll/prompt.

lokiare
June 26th, 2017, 23:21
Version 0.8.0 Fixes the bug that required the actor to have targeted something in the past to trigger the rolls/prompt.

lokiare
June 27th, 2017, 01:57
I have temporary hit points triggering the rolls, but I hit a snag. When an actor loses temp hp down to zero, but does not lose any hp it doesn't trigger a roll/prompt. I'm looking at solutions to this before I upload a new version.

Yonjaime
August 27th, 2017, 10:56
I am relatively new in formus, but just wanted to say thank you for your hard work on implementing this extension.

Keep up the hard work! And again, thank you for making my life easier.

Laerun
August 27th, 2017, 23:56
I am relatively new in formus, but just wanted to say thank you for your hard work on implementing this extension.

Keep up the hard work! And again, thank you for making my life easier.

This Extension and the window saver might be unessescary soon.

Bonkon
September 2nd, 2017, 08:19
Just installed this, just testing in GM mode it seemed to work quite well, I cannot wait to see how it works in game. Thanks for sticking with this Lokiare1 :)

lokiare
September 19th, 2017, 20:17
This extension is now obsolete v.3.3.2 does everything this extension does out of the box.

mordkhaan
November 15th, 2020, 06:47
Was looking at this old extension and its xml, wondered if it could be adapted to an extension that checks if a Concentration spell/effect was in effect on a character
If so, do not allow that character to use another requiring concentration and provide some kinds of alert/advisory message?

lokiare
November 16th, 2020, 16:33
Was looking at this old extension and its xml, wondered if it could be adapted to an extension that checks if a Concentration spell/effect was in effect on a character
If so, do not allow that character to use another requiring concentration and provide some kinds of alert/advisory message?

Feel free. The code has been merged into the main 5E ruleset and improved already so you may want to dig into the ruleset code itself for a better example.

Paperclipkiller
August 1st, 2021, 01:00
I know this is a bit of a thread necro but I have a question in regards to it. I don't know XML coding that well, but would it be possible to change the ";(c)" that was used in this extension originally to ";(conc)" somewhere and be able to use the "Notify" feature of this extension? I have no problem learning how to do that, but I wouldn't wanna go on a Fool's errand if that is actually impossible with it. Since it has been awhile since this Extension was stopped, the Notify feature was this as described on the previous page:

When it is set to "notify" any time a character that has used a ";(c)" effect takes damage, the GM will be notified with a popup window that asks whether the extension should remove the effects. This is so that groups that like to house rule or manually roll can do so before the GM decides to remove the concentration effects. The GM will also be notified with the popup if the character's hit points are 0.

I ask, simply because my players like to roll their own concentration but having the ability to remove to remove them quickly with an extension like this would be amazing. That's the one part of this extension that doesn't seem to have been added to Fantasy Grounds, Classic or Unity.

If I shouldn't have necro'd the thread, I apologize. I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask the question.