PDA

View Full Version : Tips for reducing the size of my adventure for my players

stewartl42
June 4th, 2017, 05:44
Some of my players have complained of lag (mostly on startup), and I'm worried it may be because the game files have grown too large?

Are there any tips or best practices to keep things running smoothly? Sitting Idle, FG uses 1,636 Mb according to Task Manager.

I'm running on Windows (FG v3.3.1). Running Princes of the Apocalypse with DOE: Base and DOE: Sound extensions.

I've got the DMG/PHB/Elemental Evil Player's Companion and Princes of the Apocalyose open. Players can open all but the adventure. I read somewhere the number of tokens can slow things down or consume memory?

LordEntrails
June 4th, 2017, 05:50
First, don't share the DMG with the players. That will cause problems if they try to open it.

Second, tokens are usually the culprit. Make sure you only have a few dozen tokens in the /shared folder of your campaign. Due to an old architecture decision, all shared tokens are loaded into RAM on the player client, even if you never use them.

Third, unshare those things that the players no longer need. Particularly maps and images. But note that I don't think there are all that many in PotA, so I'm thinking its a token thing...

If you unshare lots of stuff, your player may need to clear their cache, I'm not sure. Note that this would mean they would have to re-download everything.

Given that they have already downloaded all the maps, I don't think this would impact startup time, but since tokens have to be opened... they do.

Moon Wizard
June 4th, 2017, 05:57
As LordEntrails mentioned, I would start with removing the DMG from player access, and reducing the tokens/shared/ directory.

Regards,
JPG

stewartl42
June 4th, 2017, 06:21
Thanks all. I had about 200 tokens in the shared folder. found them free online and kept them there "just in case". I'll keep them on hand elsewhere.
I also unshared a bunch of stuff.
I also went through some of the maps I had, and edited them to reduce file sizes.

We'll see how the session tomorrow goes.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2017, 17:34
If you unshare lots of stuff, your player may need to clear their cache, I'm not sure. Note that this would mean they would have to re-download everything.
Players only need to clear their cache if you've unshared modules that the players previously had open. If you're unsharing individual records then there's no need to ask the players to clear their cache.

stewartl42
June 6th, 2017, 21:03
Unsharing and removing tokens cut my memory usage in a third. Players said it was much snappier. Thanks, All.