PDA

View Full Version : Unable to link items in games hosted by others

klstevens
June 4th, 2017, 05:25
Hi folks:

Just finished a game session and thought I'd come see if this was a bug for anyone else...

When I host a game (i.e., when I'm the DM), I can access books and drag things into the chat to link them.

When I am a player in another game (i.e., someone else is the DM), I can access the books like before... but when I drag something (I've tried weapons, armor, player races, classes) into the chat, I get a message that says something like "Cannot share items you don't own" or something like that. Since I was linking things from the PHB (which the DM owns) and I own the PHB, this is really strange.

Anyone have any idea what this could be related to? I'm using the Steam version of FG and have updated fine. Everything's linked (otherwise I wouldn't have been able to test my hosted games.

Edit - this is for D&D 5e, if that could affect anything.

Thanks in advance!
KLStevens

LordEntrails
June 4th, 2017, 05:45
Hey klstevens, welcome to the community.

Since I've never tried this as a player I'm not sure. Until someone who does know comes along, I would think this would be due to one of two reasons;
1) the GM may not have shared the module, therefore it's giving the error
2) most likely, only the GM can share links

Back to the important part, welcome! Someone who actually knows something should be along before too long. We are pretty fortunate in that we have some of the really smart community members spread all around the world, so usually we don't have long to wait for a knowledgeable answer.

Moon Wizard
June 4th, 2017, 06:00
The only information that can be "owned" by a player in a game is their character and any notes they create. Everything else is owned by the GM, and can only be shared by them.

It's not related to what you've purchased, but about ownership of data in that campaign session.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
June 4th, 2017, 06:24
To further explain, the term 'own' in this context is referring to the player assigned to something, not having purchased a product. For instance, when you make a character in someone's campaign, you can open its character sheet and fill things out. Another player can't double-click your portrait to open your character's sheet and start changing things because you are set as the "owner" of the character, not them. The database keeps track of who owns each asset for the sake of permission to edit; as Moon stated, most of the assets are owned by the GM since the players shouldn't be able to edit them.

Ram Tyr
June 4th, 2017, 11:14
I have tried to do this repeatedly recently. I am not sure if was ruleset specific or not but I am fairly certain that this used to be possible.

It would be nice to go back to letting us link things in chat.

For example, was recently playing a Savage Worlds game with a bunch of folks who are new to SW (like me). There were multiple times when I wanted to link a page in the library to help with discussions about rules or whatnot. Since I have access to the information (or else how would I be able to link it) it would be great to be able to link it. If, somehow, someone else in the group does not have access to the information their link should not work and they should get a message that they don't have access to the information... but let us poor, old, helpful types throw the link in the chat window!

:)