PDA

View Full Version : LFP, Want 5e Fantasy Grounds Play tips, testing, and learning Fantasy Grounds Online!

Laerun
June 3rd, 2017, 03:45
Hello, and well met! So you have Fantasy Grounds…now, what do you do? Join the 5e Fantasy Grounds Church! The “church” is simply a community where people new to Fantasy Grounds and 5e, can get together with experienced players and DM’s willing to share their knowledge and teach you click-by-click how to use this powerful piece of software. All you need is the demo version, Discord and a mic to join.
Discord Chat/Voice Server: https://discord.gg/aR7K7B

Hope to see you and happy gaming!
DM Laerun

Unitivebird
July 16th, 2017, 01:32
hi im new can i join whats host address is it ok to ask?

Cimera
July 17th, 2017, 16:42
Hello, I was considering getting FG but was wanting to make sure I could find a group so I could learn how to use the software. I used to play back in the early 2000's but I know I would be like a brand new player now lol.

If I got fantasy grounds, could I join y'all and learn from scratch ?

I have discord and other means of communication.

Thank you.

Nametaker
July 18th, 2017, 03:06
If you want to learn how to use Fantasy grounds I am willing to help teach you what I have learned, and if you know some of your own stuff, you can teach me! We might be able to run a small test battle! Any level or experience welcome! I have the ultimate edition so you can play through the demo. Let's learn together! I am on my DnD 5e custom Discord Chat/Voice. Server...

DM Laerun

I just signed up for Fantasy Grounds Demo and would like to try it out. I haven't really played 5E, but I've watched it played online. I played AD&D may years ago.

PainWarden
July 18th, 2017, 04:49
I'm wanting to learn FG also. I've played 3.5, PF and 5E. Looking for someone to help with initial start up and questions. Oh, and I work nights, so my times are limited to mornings, with possible exceptions.

Uraence
July 18th, 2017, 05:33
I'm available most night after 9pm CST (Texas).

I've played every edition, but not much 5E yet. I started when 1st ed. and Basic were the only versions available.

I can play and enjoy any class so I can fill in with whatever the party is lacking or needing.

If my play time works out for you let me know and I'd be happy to game! :)

Gwydion
July 18th, 2017, 15:51
Kudos to you for starting this, Laerun! Awesome to see folks that are willing to help out others. Not sure if my schedule will permit, but if you firm up on dates/times of when you all are getting together and you are looking for someone with a fair amount of FG experience to assist, I'll be happy to participate if I'm able! Keep us posted on your progress.

Laerun
July 18th, 2017, 16:56
Sounds good, a lot like most of us matured and seasoned players. Get back with me soon.

Laerun
July 18th, 2017, 16:58
Sounds great, I was looking at creating a Fantasy Grounds 5e Sunday school, church, or study group.

Rixshaw
July 18th, 2017, 17:21
Greetings, I would be interested in getting into this if you are still offering. I had played as a player on this years ago it seems, playing in 3.5. i have tried to get into some 5e games to get some practice using the software but it never pans out.

Laerun
July 18th, 2017, 19:26
Yes, it seems that this thread is picking up finally. Can anyone do Sunday afternoons?

Laerun
July 18th, 2017, 19:29
Sounds great. I would like your help in finding instructors for the other popular game genres, such as Pathfinder. I am mainly covering 5e rules, and FG game play and integration.

Laerun
July 18th, 2017, 19:38
Kudos to you for starting this, Laerun! Awesome to see folks that are willing to help out others. Not sure if my schedule will permit, but if you firm up on dates/times of when you all are getting together and you are looking for someone with a fair amount of FG experience to assist, I'll be happy to participate if I'm able! Keep us posted on your progress.

Greetings, I would be interested in getting into this if you are still offering. I had played as a player on this years ago it seems, playing in 3.5. i have tried to get into some 5e games to get some practice using the software but it never pans out.

I'm wanting to learn FG also. I've played 3.5, PF and 5E. Looking for someone to help with initial start up and questions. Oh, and I work nights, so my times are limited to mornings, with possible exceptions.

Sounds great, I was looking at creating a Fantasy Grounds 5e Sunday school, church, or study group.

Sounds good, a lot like most of us matured and seasoned players. Get back with me soon.

I've played every edition, but not much 5E yet. I started when 1st ed. and Basic were the only versions available.

I can play and enjoy any class so I can fill in with whatever the party is lacking or needing.

I just signed up for Fantasy Grounds Demo and would like to try it out. I haven't really played 5E, but I've watched it played online. I played AD&D may years ago.

Hello, I was considering getting FG but was wanting to make sure I could find a group so I could learn how to use the software. I used to play back in the early 2000's but I know I would be like a brand new player now lol.

Thank you.

If you want to learn how to use Fantasy grounds I am willing to help teach you what I have learned, and if you know some of your own stuff, you can teach me! We might be able to run a small test battle! Any level or experience welcome! I have the ultimate edition so you can play through the demo. Let's learn together! I am on my DnD 5e custom Discord Chat/Voice. Server... This thread is active, please vote on poll and participate in the cariculum choices, dates, times.

DM Laerun

Maybe START either Sunday, or next Sunday the 30th?

Rixshaw
July 18th, 2017, 19:56
I am free this Sunday 7/23

Laerun
July 18th, 2017, 22:47

Thank you.

If you want to learn how to use Fantasy grounds I am willing to help teach you what I have learned, and if you know some of your own stuff, you can teach me! We might be able to run a small test battle! Any level or experience welcome! I have the ultimate edition so you can play through the demo. Let's learn together! I am on my DnD 5e custom Discord Chat/Voice. Server... This thread is active, please vote on poll and participate in the cariculum choices, dates, times.

DM Laerun

Okay, cool. Do you use Discord?

GunnarGreybeard
July 19th, 2017, 00:36
I have not voted yet but definitely see where this could be helpful. I have seen a big influx recently, of new players who seem unable to find games, or at least it seems that way to me. Anyway, anything that gets people involved sooner rather than later is a good thing. Thinking about running some one shots through the week to allow people to walk through some stuff. I work weekends, through the night so I have only a small window of free time, mostly Tue and Wed.

Laerun
July 19th, 2017, 00:39
Maybe we can team up? You can actually play test at times, and I will work on intake and the 5e rules.

Laerun
July 19th, 2017, 00:45
DnD Church 5e/FG training and testing group>? DM Laerun...
Just need to have Fantasy Grounds Demo, Discord for chat, and the desire to learn and participate. Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/CYSkMh8

Uraence
July 19th, 2017, 02:11
I'm game. Only thing I have to do on Sundays is laundry.

GunnarGreybeard
July 19th, 2017, 03:47
Maybe we can team up? You can actually play test at times, and I will work on intake and the 5e rules.
Right now, atm, I am limited to no voice capability so anything I run will need to be Text Chat only (the built in text feature of Fantasy Grounds). It will be a little slower than normal BUT I'm working on some very small situations that should be doable in a few hours or so, hopefully between 2-3 but shooting for the lower end. A little interact with a couple NPC's, bash some bad guys, collect the reward.

Laerun
July 19th, 2017, 03:59
Right now, atm, I am limited to no voice capability so anything I run will need to be Text Chat only (the built in text feature of Fantasy Grounds). It will be a little slower than normal BUT I'm working on some very small situations that should be doable in a few hours or so, hopefully between 2-3 but shooting for the lower end. A little interact with a couple NPC's, bash some bad guys, collect the reward.

For now you could just chat. Mic is not required, but helpful.

Beyaz
July 22nd, 2017, 01:28
I'd love to get in on this. I know I will be playing FG for a long time, once i figure it out....So I got the one off pricing standard license. I have tried going through the sample 5e tutorial but its slow going on my own, and a lot of moving windows around to see what happens next and what to do. With someone taking charge as GM it would be much less confusing and a more fluid experience.

Laerun
July 22nd, 2017, 02:10
I am willing to help you get going. Do you use discord?

Beyaz
July 22nd, 2017, 02:22
Yes I do have it installed

Laerun
July 22nd, 2017, 02:29
Can we get on it? Voice? https://discord.gg/43Btjx

Beyaz
July 22nd, 2017, 02:32
Now? It's like 2:30am here. I don't mind just wondering if you meant right away :)

Minxdobby69
July 22nd, 2017, 02:48
Definitely interested. New to FG, but veteran tabletop from both 3.5 and 5e. I have Ventrilo setup and am also free most Sundays for church. ;)

Laerun
July 23rd, 2017, 16:38
I am going to try to run church today starting at 9:00 AM PST.

DM Laerun

Discord: https://discord.gg/CYSkMh8

Laerun
July 24th, 2017, 22:49
I tried a session with a few students Sunday. We made characters and ran a short encounter. It was fun. I am hoping to get into coding and more in-depth character creation,as well as custom content creation....
We have more openings for the Sunday School FG 5e class. Anyone else wanna contribute or tech please let us know.... Will meet next on August 6th Sunday on Discord: https://discord.gg/CYSkMh8.

Minxdobby69
July 24th, 2017, 22:56
Had a great time. You're very knowledgable and I learned a great deal. Looking forward to next time. Btw, thanks for the adventure building tips.

Jankin
July 25th, 2017, 00:48
The learning from Laerun has helped me so much, cheers buddy :)

GunnarGreybeard
July 25th, 2017, 07:04
Glad to see this went well. :D

Valderhide
July 25th, 2017, 22:48
I have just recently downloaded FG and have never used it before, I have two years of experience of 5e on Roll 20, don't know who much of that is transferable. would love the opportunity to get to learn FG more and maybe even buy a standard license

Laerun
July 25th, 2017, 22:56
I will help you, but our next class is in two weeks. I am willing to help you in the meantime, please connect to my discord chat channel posted backbone this forum. What ya wanna know? https://discord.gg/t9cax.

Rnoxof
July 27th, 2017, 12:25
I'm very interested, I will join the discord group when i get home (can't from work) and if there is space i would like to join in on the 6th.

Laerun
July 27th, 2017, 12:56
Sure enough, yes. We are all trying to help one another.

Wazoodust
July 27th, 2017, 13:41
This is a really good idea Laerun. something once a month or so would be a huge help to new players.
As to the new players, the learning curve can be a bit intimidating, but well worth it. Personally I came from a 2E background and hadn't played for almost 30 years, well, 2 years later I'm still DM for the same basic group. we learned a lot from each other along the way. A quick session with someone experienced and a couple of encounters would be incredibly helpful for new players. I would be willing to help demo FG a bit to new players if needed. I know not everyone can do Sundays as Laerun has set up, if there are people needing another day post here when you're available and myself or (I'm sure) other DM's will pick up on it and make something happen. The biggest issue to finding games is scheduling, so to the new players, be patient finding a group, it'll happen !

Laerun
July 27th, 2017, 14:53
As we roll out this learning thread and classes, I want to say thanks to all contributing, helping, and mostly being patient.

Demnok
July 28th, 2017, 04:13
I just recently purchased the full (not ultimate) FG software and am looking to learn how it works. I've watched some videos and created some 5e characters. I am not new to roleplaying, but new to virtual table top. I will also sent a PM. Thank you.

Laerun
July 28th, 2017, 04:41
Sounds good. Go and join the Discord server as well..

Laerun
July 28th, 2017, 04:56
All people interested, please vote on the poll attached to this thread. Also, please sign up for DnD5e Sunday School, August 6th. Please join my Discord server... I will enroll you in our next class.

Rnoxof
July 28th, 2017, 15:28
I clicked on the discord server link last night and it said the link had expired. Can you check into this and let me know if i need to use a differetn link.

adamyaz
July 28th, 2017, 16:26
I would also be interested in getting my feet wet, recently got FG as getting together in person seems to be too hard these days, with a family and school and work :(

I have yet to actually play a game in FG and have been immersing myself in 5e as well. I have long history of playing ADnD, 3.5 and pathfinder, so I am seasoned and new at the same time!

I am available most daytime hours Tues./Thurs. (MDT) which works best for evening players in GMT timezones or those who work Nights. I hope this can work out!

Laerun
July 28th, 2017, 17:02
I clicked on the discord server link last night and it said the link had expired. Can you check into this and let me know if i need to use a differetn link.
Here ya guys go. https://discord.gg/33epUc

Laerun
July 28th, 2017, 17:04
I will be on Discord after work tonight after 4:00PM PST and tomorrow around 9:00 AM PST.

DM Laerun -

Rnoxof
July 29th, 2017, 13:35

Still doing the same sorry

Laerun
July 29th, 2017, 14:51
https://discord.gg/CYSkMh8 Try this mate. I have set to NEVER expire....

Laerun
July 29th, 2017, 15:13
I will be gone today, off and on Discord today, but should pop in from time to time. I just wanted to let everyone interested in this thread know that the school is NOT a proper game, and that the focus is: Learning how to navigate the interface, learning how to create a character, learning some of the chat commands, learning some of the basic game functions and mechanics, and having fun while meeting new people with similar interests. I still want to emphasize Role-play, cooperation, and, fun! I think it makes the game fun and sometimes completely awkward. Also, remember it is just a game, just for fun, creativity, and getting to know new folks. I may handpick an exceptional learner or player during the course of our classes and interactions for my ongoing game set in the Forgotten Realms, DnD 5e. I am really hoping that students will branch off, teach others, join or make their own games and have mainly fun...! An example of my ongoing group photo.... https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/314834930209390593/335884733386850316/DnD_5e_Group_Picture.jpg

dmccoy1693
August 1st, 2017, 13:44
Oh if it were any other weekend, I would be there. I have a family function that weekend and can't make it.

Laerun
August 1st, 2017, 14:28
We can do it anytime after your posted hours really.

EmeraldOne
August 4th, 2017, 00:32
I would very much like to attend something like this to become familiar with Fantasy Grounds, I only have the demo currently, but have been looking for a way to play pen and paper games online for a good while. How would I go about joining you?

Minxdobby69
August 4th, 2017, 00:49
Hey EmeraldOne, contact Laerun here on the boards. He runs a"Sunday school" for people new to FG. I've only attended one session but it was great. Laerun was patient and very willing to help with any question.

EmeraldOne
August 4th, 2017, 01:19
Thanks a lot Minxdobby69, I sent him a message.

Laerun
August 4th, 2017, 03:19
You can join our Discord server for Sunday School. There several game server invite links for an instant invite embed in these forum chats, within this thread. I will add you as a student and look forward to hearing from you soon. Do you have a mic and headset for live voice chat.

EmeraldOne
August 4th, 2017, 03:22
Aye, I have a mic and headset. Looking forward to it.

Laerun
August 4th, 2017, 03:29
It is at 9:00 AM PST. Glad to hear of your interest. Did you vote on the poll attached? When can we chat? Interview...

EmeraldOne
August 4th, 2017, 03:36
I should be available by then, I did vote in the poll, and should be available tomorrow evening or Saturday afternoon/evening. I'm EST so I'm about to retire for the evening tonight.

Laerun
August 4th, 2017, 03:37
Cool, good deal, no problem. Ttyl

Laerun
August 6th, 2017, 03:48
All whom are interested in the Fantasy Grounds 5e class, it starts 9:00 AM PST. The classes are almost filled up. There will be a class for players mainly and DMs in another class. We will vote in the DM class as to what to focus on.
https://discord.gg/CYSkMh8 (For the voice and FG server details).

Demnok
August 6th, 2017, 06:22
How long does the player class last for?

Laerun
August 6th, 2017, 06:25
It depends on you, but mainly two to four hours, depending on class size and the instructor.

GunnarGreybeard
August 6th, 2017, 06:50
Looks like there is quite a bit of interest. Hope it's going well.

Laerun
August 6th, 2017, 06:51
Indeed.

Jankin
August 6th, 2017, 11:11
Can last up to 4 hours, depends on what people are learning, if there is combat/rp etc etc

Longhorn
August 6th, 2017, 16:00
Definitely interested in attending one of these sessions. Unfortunately I'm not available today but will keep an eye on the thread for the next time it's being run. Thanks again for offering to do this Laerun.

Jankin
August 7th, 2017, 20:31
Thanks for everyone that came last night :)

Gravemist
August 7th, 2017, 22:33
I've sat in on a few sessions now and have learned quite a bit in the past week. Laerun and Paddyjuice have been doing a bang-up job walking folks through the basics of Fantasy Grounds, character creation, and the mechanics of combat in FG.

Thanks to both of you, gents.

Laerun
August 7th, 2017, 22:38
Yes, thanks for everyone participating, and for our new instructor, PaddyJuice! I had a couple students mainly, but I consider anytime spent figuring out Fantasy Grounds is time well spent.

DM Laerun

Vastroc
August 9th, 2017, 00:24
I am totally new to FG and VTTs in general. I would love to attend one of your classes.

Laerun
August 9th, 2017, 03:30
Okay, the class is going now and we are established. We are starting the next class in a couple weeks... I have one other teacher. We start 9:00 AM PST on Sundays, DnD5e FG Church. We have about 15-28 students now.

JohnQPublic
August 9th, 2017, 21:47
Are these going to be recorded so people who can't make it live can benefit?

Laerun
August 9th, 2017, 22:33
Ya know, we just might do that in the future. However, nothing beats hands on. We also help individuals during the week of and on. Do you want some one on one help?

JohnQPublic
August 10th, 2017, 03:56
Ya know, we just might do that in the future. However, nothing beats hands on. We also help individuals during the week of and on. Do you want some one on one help?

I don't think I need one on one help with anything at this point, thanks. I think I have a pretty firm grasp on most of the things I need with Fantasy Grounds but I'm still interested in finding out what else it does that I'm not aware of and it's hard for me to commit to a schedule. Being able to observe after the fact would be very helpful for me, personally.

Jankin
August 10th, 2017, 04:10
Learning from someone first hand is a good idea still, sometimes people develop bad habits like not updating there exp sheets, not filling in there backgrounds (a blank background is harder for a DM to work with) but the over all experience with an experienced dm/teacher is fun as well. :)

Laerun
August 10th, 2017, 17:40
I don't think I need one on one help with anything at this point, thanks. I think I have a pretty firm grasp on most of the things I need with Fantasy Grounds but I'm still interested in finding out what else it does that I'm not aware of and it's hard for me to commit to a schedule. Being able to observe after the fact would be very helpful for me, personally.

Are you mainly a player or a DM? Have you mastered the effects coding already? Do you plan to make your own modules if you haven't already...? I watch the Digital DMs how to tutorials for YouTube video help, have you seen his work yet?

JohnQPublic
August 10th, 2017, 17:53
Are you mainly a player or a DM? Have you mastered the effects coding already? Do you plan to make your own modules if you haven't already...? I watch the Digital DMs how to tutorials for YouTube video help, have you seen his work yet?

I'm the DM. I have not mastered the effects coding - that's something I need to work on but have't spent the time on it yet because I'm using Rob Twohy's Spell and effects coding. I do plan to make my own modules but haven't even begun that journey in FG yet. I've watched some of Digital DM tutorials but not many.

These are all things that I would like to learn more about.

Laerun
August 10th, 2017, 18:00
I am running the DM class, the other class ran by Paddy juice is the beginner class.

Jankin
August 10th, 2017, 20:10
It's more effective to teach people when we have time, there is already guides out there but having someone teach you live can be more effective and teaching the basics to new players means we get more people interested in FG, that leads to more people supporting FG, more DM's etc etc

More Support FG gets more they can work on FG, that's why I teach in person. :)

GunnarGreybeard
August 10th, 2017, 21:31
Just my 2 pfennig but I think training sessions like these, for anyone, can really help keep both current and potential players engaged. I've seen a lot of 'new blood' lately on the forums and it seems, from what I am seeing by following up on their forum profile a few days or week later is they come back for a day or 2 and then that is their last activity. This probably means they are not finding games and so are moving on. We need to look for ways to keep that retention up. I know Real Life stuff comes up but still, anything that helps with that can only be a good thing. Might be time for running another cycle of FGDaze, or 2.

Laerun
August 10th, 2017, 22:34
I am running a Saturday game every other week. I have my job and family, but chose to help others learn Fantasy Grounds because I recall a short few months ago, I was discouraged and confused. I purchased FG in 2011 and started playing in February of this year...

Laerun
August 16th, 2017, 22:25
This coming Sunday will be another DnD5e FG Sunday School. Sign up if you want to learn how to play, or setup as a DM. After this class we will be going into a once a month format.

Furied Fate
August 20th, 2017, 09:29
If it's okay, I'd like to join in on this. I had bought a four pack for myself and some friends in hopes that we can play online, but that didn't actually happen.

So now I have this game that I'd really like to play. So what do I need for the class?

Ronan Red-Dredd
August 20th, 2017, 11:24
Would love the chance to join you for this sometime - Any chance of a one off on a Friday or Saturday your time please? I am in New Zealand (GMT +12) and have the issue of your Sunday game being my Monday Early AM.
If there is an opportunity I can arrange to be awake at the correct time - just needs to be the Friday or Saturday so the next day I can sleep in...

Minxdobby69
August 20th, 2017, 14:23
I was the same as Laerun wanted to play online but no one to help me learn. When I finally purchased FG and found Laerun's Sunday School post it gave me the fuel I needed to tackle learning the software.

Laerun
August 20th, 2017, 14:49
Sure, we can do that, just join our Discord server, and you can maybe hit up Paddy juice as he is a Co founder and former student, operating out of the UK. His time Zone might be more tolerable.

Laerun
August 20th, 2017, 14:54
What you all need for the online class today. The software Discord, I suggest that you install it and get familiar with it. Also, you will need a headset, or a similar way to communicate vocally on the class thread. You need the Fantasy Grounds Demo as just a player, or Fantasy Grounds standard as a DM. The class has two sections on our Discord thread server, text chat, voice chat, new players in room 101A, aspiring DMs in room 102b. Instant invite is: https://discord.gg/CYSkMh8

My user ID is: AnAindie! #7210
Nick name: [Teacher] Dungeon Master Room 102B. Teaching dungeon masters, content creators, and game design elements for Fantasy Grounds

The new players and new to Fantasy Grounds will be taught by my former student and now colleague [Teacher] Paddyjuice, he is on the UK GMT Timezone, he has room 101A.

Laerun
August 20th, 2017, 19:26
Would love the chance to join you for this sometime - Any chance of a one off on a Friday or Saturday your time please? I am in New Zealand (GMT +12) and have the issue of your Sunday game being my Monday Early AM.
If there is an opportunity I can arrange to be awake at the correct time - just needs to be the Friday or Saturday so the next day I can sleep in...

Yes, I will... Setup a time for next weekend. Also, we have a holiday on September the 2nd-4th.

Laerun
August 20th, 2017, 20:06
Please vote on the poll attached to this forum thread if you have not... PLease add a comment or reputation to my profile if you can or know how to do so! Happy Gaming everyone!

colincbn
August 21st, 2017, 10:31
Hi guys,

I would very much like to get in on this! I am most interested in learning the GM tools (my normal gaming group is 100% paper based, but I am hoping to entice them all over to FG and I need to be able to run games smoothly), but it might be best to run as a player a bit at first. Once I get the basics down I am up for running 'out of the abyss' or 'the lost mines of phandelver', just be warned that I am a noob at FG (but not gaming, I've played or run just about everything out there over the last 30+ years)

I am in Japan and have really been hoping to find other FG users in compatible time zones. Please let me know what I should do to join up!

Laerun
August 21st, 2017, 13:12
Hi guys,

I would very much like to get in on this! I am most interested in learning the GM tools (my normal gaming group is 100% paper based, but I am hoping to entice them all over to FG and I need to be able to run games smoothly), but it might be best to run as a player a bit at first. Once I get the basics down I am up for running 'out of the abyss' or 'the lost mines of phandelver', just be warned that I am a noob at FG (but not gaming, I've played or run just about everything out there over the last 30+ years)

I am in Japan and have really been hoping to find other FG users in compatible time zones. Please let me know what I should do to join up!

Yeah, please join up! JOin the Discord server.

Laerun
August 22nd, 2017, 19:48
Hello, and well met. Anyone new, unsure, or hesitant about making the investment in Fantasy Grounds...? This thread might be for you. We focus on helping you get familiar with logging in, and using the main or basic features as a player. I also will help aspiring DMs that want to make their own or just run a game. You just need Discord:https://discord.gg/N3qPS6, a PC or Mac, a bit of computer knowledge, Fantasy Grounds Demo, and a microphone headset for chat. Sign up here, on the this forum, on the Discord server, the game calendar, or via private message...

Laerun
August 24th, 2017, 03:32
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2660

Calendar for class. Instant Discord Invite: posted all over this thread...!

Laerun
August 27th, 2017, 16:21
I will be on Discord for FG school today off and on. i am on now 8:25 AM PST. I am in voice chat: General as well...

Laerun
August 30th, 2017, 23:40
Going to run a school again this coming Sunday at 9:00 AM PST. Please come ready with questions a small mental list of what you intend to accomplish. I will take new players, and I would love to also see some DM's or content creators to collab, share ideas, or teach me a few things! See you on the 3rd of September! If you are celebrating a holiday Monday, and you are bored, let's talk Fantasy Grounds! If you are leaving on Vacation, I will see you around next time. Please vote on this thread's poll IF you have not already~!

Anchovey
August 31st, 2017, 19:23
I'm looking to learn how to use this software/interface.

Played D&D back in the day, then taught my son to play a bit of 4e, but life got too busy.

I'm looking to get into a regular weeknight game. 8:00ish EST time, once a week, Mon - Thurs.

Willing to get whatever software/equipment may be needed.

Any advice, give it to me! lol

Laerun
August 31st, 2017, 19:30
Okay, you got it. Join the Discord server ASAP. You need a headset, Fantasy Grounds standard or ultimate license, or you can just use the demo initially. You will also need patience and some time.
https://discord.gg/N3qPS6

colincbn
August 31st, 2017, 23:54
I'm looking to learn how to use this software/interface.

Played D&D back in the day, then taught my son to play a bit of 4e, but life got too busy.

I'm looking to get into a regular weeknight game. 8:00ish EST time, once a week, Mon - Thurs.

Willing to get whatever software/equipment may be needed.

Any advice, give it to me! lol

Hi Anchovey,

Laerun has been running a teaching server on Discord (Discord is like Teamspeak but better for various reasons). I am helping him a bit as well.
I think you will love what FG can do once you get the basics down.

Are you available Friday night from about 8:00pm?

If you haven't been able to get into the walkthrough with Laerun by then I could take you through it. Or maybe just do a simple one-shot adventure (5e).

Cheers.

Answulf
September 3rd, 2017, 21:38
Hi Laerun, heard good things about the group so I thought I would join and volunteer my time...

Laerun
September 3rd, 2017, 23:05

Please drop by and give us some support, or send another person our way, please! https://discord.gg/aR7K7B

DMLaerun

Minxdobby69
September 3rd, 2017, 23:46
Host address is pinned in the Discord server. Come on in!

https://discord.gg/N3qPS6

Laerun
September 3rd, 2017, 23:52
Hello, and well met! So you have Fantasy Grounds…now, what do you do? Join the 5e Fantasy Grounds Church! The “church” is simply a community where people new to Fantasy Grounds and 5e, can get together with experienced players and DM’s willing to share their knowledge and teach you click-by-click how to use this powerful piece of software. All you need is the demo version, Discord and a mic to join.
Discord Chat/Voice Server: https://discord.gg/aR7K7B
Hope to see you and happy gaming!
DM Laerun

ps. TY Minxdobby69

colincbn
September 4th, 2017, 06:13
Hey guys,

Thanks to those who ran in my little mock-combat today.

I am currently downloading some one-shots, and making a few of my own, so I can be more prepared for the next time.
I didn't get to knock anyone down (though I came close!), so next time I might get a bit more insidious [insert evil laugh here].
I promise to keep the CR in range though! ;)

I will be on discord as much as possible so those interested in super-simple-stories can join in.
The crowd today was great and I really had a blast!

Thanks again!

Minxdobby69
September 4th, 2017, 06:14
Had a great time too! Look forward to gaming with you again.

Laerun
September 4th, 2017, 08:38
Hey guys,

Thanks to those who ran in my little mock-combat today.

I am currently downloading some one-shots, and making a few of my own, so I can be more prepared for the next time.
I didn't get to knock anyone down (though I came close!), so next time I might get a bit more insidious [insert evil laugh here].
I promise to keep the CR in range though! ;)

I will be on discord as much as possible so those interested in super-simple-stories can join in.
The crowd today was great and I really had a blast!

Thanks again!

You are certainly welcome.

Laerun
September 5th, 2017, 03:33
Next official DnD5e FG School is scheduled for the 17th of September 9:30 AM PST.

DM Laerun

Valderhide
September 5th, 2017, 03:38
Can I get another inv to the discord plz, something went weird and I'm no longer in the channel

Laerun
September 5th, 2017, 04:07
Can I get another inv to the discord plz, something went weird and I'm no longer in the channel

https://discord.gg/aR7K7B

Here you go!

Valderhide
September 5th, 2017, 04:10
says invalid or expired

Laerun
September 5th, 2017, 05:32
says invalid or expired

https://discord.gg/CYSkMh8

Should work now... sorry.

Laerun
September 8th, 2017, 00:33
-----------------------------------------------
Hi everyone! We have re-released our Discord server from Church/Sunday School to Fantasy Grounds for the sake of learning and teaching and experience of the Fantasy Grounds game!
-----------------------------------------------

We have undergone a complete makeover. You might have noticed some changes, including a new name, new roles and the server content being rewritten. We initially made all modifications on a test server and then transported them over, in order to minimise disruptions. Thank you so much for your patience!

The aim of the makeover was to streamline the overall Discord experience for new and old users alike, while making the server intuitive and easy to use.

If you have feedback about the server, layout, content or lack of content, please message one of the Admins (Blue) or Moderators (Yellow) with your suggestions. Hopefully we ironed out all of the kinks and it will be smooth sailing from here, but if there is something you notice that is not working like you think it should, please let as know ASAP!
[Moderator] Nicci Bicci: -

Phlash
September 9th, 2017, 06:28
Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks to all the people that make this happen, I hopped on the channel today and everybody was kind and extremely helpful patiently answering questions, walking thru the various nuances of the program and pointing folks in the right direction. I'm a new user and I'm really liking the program so far, but I have to say it's the community that really makes it shine.

Cheers,
Phlash

Answulf
September 9th, 2017, 08:46
Happy to help Phlash, that's what we are doing it for. Look forward to playing with you proper some time soon!

Laerun
September 12th, 2017, 03:33
Our community is growing rapidly, will you join our group or stay lurking in the shadows? We are accepting recruits all day, everyday. We REALLY need to get more teachers, DM's, and instructors. We are creating a great community.

Sincerely,
DM Laerun

Varik
September 18th, 2017, 23:55
i would love to join. from what i've seen of FG my wife and I have decided to purchase it come tax returns, until then i have gotten the Free version. I tried the link for discord and it is stating expired/invalid. i have been playing D&D since 2nd ed. and have played mostly 3.0/3.5, I have DM'd a little (not the best DM in the world but i try, just like everyone else) and i would love to start learning 5e and the FG app in general to start hosting my own groups.

Laerun
September 19th, 2017, 00:14
Sorry, what link did you click on? here is a newer one.
https://discord.gg/dyDCd3S

Laerun
September 19th, 2017, 00:16
Are you still able to help? We are at 253 users (12 staff) in one week....! https://discord.gg/dyDCd3S

Laerun
September 19th, 2017, 00:17
That is awesome! I am wanting to talk with you soon! https://discord.gg/dyDCd3S

Varik
September 19th, 2017, 00:39
that link worked ty Laerun

Laerun
September 25th, 2017, 03:24
That you Varik! Hope to meet you soon!

Laerun
September 29th, 2017, 02:07
Looking for Dm's, artists, content creators, and experienced FG players to help teach FG to others...!

Snufalupaghus
September 29th, 2017, 17:34
Hello!

The Discord link isn't working for me. Says it's expired. Is there a new one?

Laerun
September 29th, 2017, 17:47
Here you go, sorry about that. https://discord.gg/mutam7v

Laerun
September 30th, 2017, 15:20
Anyone that follows this thread and wants to join our FGC Discord server for help or volunteering can use: https://discord.gg/mutam7v for a permalink to our community. We are looking to help people learn how to play Fantasy Grounds and looking for volunteers to help us teach others. Also, we promote, and help artists, streamers, and content creators boost their exposure to our growing numbers of team member and students.

Laerun
October 2nd, 2017, 05:07
New Fantasy Grounds College Splash Page: Twitter: https://twitter.com/_FG_College_

Can you PLEASE do this survey if you can? This will help us out a lot! https://goo.gl/forms/XSYJ1Vt0qs5As6V62

Our join Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw

Our College Email: [email protected]

Laerun
October 5th, 2017, 00:42
New server invite:https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw

Laerun
October 6th, 2017, 22:57
If you want to play, contribute to the Fantasy Grounds community, please sign up at: https://www.fg-con.com/ for gaming experience and fun!

Laerun
October 7th, 2017, 17:49
Today only~! Starting today at 1:00 PM CST (In about an hour from this posting) Tsunami Con Event VTT Play; Live Streamed here! https://www.twitch.tv/behindthedmscreen

FGC Staff and special guests.

Laerun
October 13th, 2017, 01:19
New 'West Marches Style' Fantasy Grounds College (FGC) One Shots game in the works. 3rd Level start, DnD5e. Inquire within...

https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw

Laerun
October 16th, 2017, 01:28
October 29th, 12:30 PM EST, 'Women' in gaming seminar/chat. Listen and hear answers/questions from the 'women in gaming'. With FGC and hostess: "SusieQ", and other 'special' guests. General College "Voice" Chat Channel Room, Our server invite link: https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw and google events and general calendar event/planner: https://www.fantasygroundscollege.net...-schedule.html

Laerun
October 21st, 2017, 06:09
FGC College Interview with: Nerdarchy, web-cast on Youtube, 12:00 PM EST., LIVE Friday October 27th. Be there!
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nerdarchy

Laerun
October 31st, 2017, 02:41
Please consider joining our FGC College as an instructor, or as a student, or as both!

Laerun
November 7th, 2017, 04:02
Alert: Help Wanted: 'FGC' is looking for a web designer and technical support agent for our back-end processes. Any takers?

Laerun
November 9th, 2017, 20:38
DM Class starting on the 19th, Sunday 8:30 PM PST 3 Part series, length, about 2.5 Hours. 19th, 26th, December 3rd. 8 Hours total max. Sign ups here: https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw.

Laerun
November 18th, 2017, 04:19
Campaign Creation/DM Seminar series starting 11/19/17, 9:00 AM PST. Fantasy Grounds Standard License or higher suggested. Meet in Discord, share screens with one another via Google Hangouts. Please gather your notes, PDF's, tools, websites, rulebooks, conversions, maps, tokens, photos! 3 total classes from November 19th to December 3rd, Sundays. Please come with an open mind and questions! DnD5e, Fantasy Grounds, Homebrew and some purchased items, 3rd party mods.

Hope to see you there!
~Laerun~

Laerun
November 28th, 2017, 18:14
B]Fantasy Grounds College[/B] Needs you help. We are looking for someone to write Blog/Newsletter for the 'Nerdarchy' website, and also to monitor our Socials, Twitter/Reddit/Twitch/Youtube. We have a new website in development, and the Blog style guides!
So, if you are a Blogger, or Social media buff, please join us soon!

Join us soon if you have not already! https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw

Laerun
December 5th, 2017, 03:56
We now are hosting and serving @DnD_AdvLeague , West-Marches, and our own 'Explorers Guild' within our #_FG_College_ server. Join us at https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw . #dnd #dungeonsanddragons 😀

Laerun
December 15th, 2017, 23:11
Hello everyone, new and old, please join us soon if you have not already! We have a very special guest, the 'King of effects Codings', Mr. Rob2e! https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw for voice, and also https://www.twitch.tv/rob2e for video, there will be about a 10 second delay... Live chat, Q&A, free licenses and Fantasy Grounds DnD5e products giveaways, etc.. Please join us Sunday 12-17-17, at 8:30 AM PT (UTC-8) Come with your luck and questions for Rob2e! Don't miss this! Be there!

See you there!
Laerun

Accipiter
December 16th, 2017, 03:56
The link to the Discord channel that you offered was a temporary one, and it expired. Could you repost with a permanent invite link? If I recall correctly, there's a checkbox for it, when you create the link in Discord.

Laerun
December 16th, 2017, 05:09
Hello and well met, that is the permanent link, however, if it is still giving you issues, please join from the front page of our temp website at https://www.fantasygroundscollege.net/

See ya there!

Laerun

Laerun
December 17th, 2017, 06:24
Welcome to FGC! We will help you learn Fantasy Grounds when you need it. I am the Founder (Laerun), and tomorrow in 12 hours from now we are having a large give-away and live twitch Xmas stream, voice here in FGC. Free Fantasy Grounds items! Video here: https://www.twitch.tv/rob2e (Video):santa: 8:30 AM PT (UTC-8)!

Laerun
January 3rd, 2018, 00:00
Map makers and FG members! I am holding our FGC 'Mapinar' for the end of this month, on Jan 28th, Sunday 2018, 8:30-10:30 AM PST. Please consider attending this event. I am planning to do a Q&A, promotion, and panel of artist mappers to show us their approach to making maps, etc. Please attend if you can! We can live stream audio from the event (8 second delay) on Twitch, and the audio will be on our Discord server... No faces. Possibly share screens, etc for presentations. Hope you can make it! https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw Love your maps BTW!

Laerun

dunadan
January 3rd, 2018, 02:57
Hi Laerun

Do you record the training sessions?

I think that there may be several people in the same boat as me ie very interested in the events, but inability to match timezones! I'd be happy to listen/watch a pre-recorded session. Over time you would build up a "library" of training content.

Dunadan

Laerun
January 3rd, 2018, 05:48
Sure, we have already started a YouTube channel. We have users from around the world. We have the EU and Australia, As well as the contiguous United States...

Please check us out when you can!

dunadan
January 3rd, 2018, 05:53
Tx... just bookmarked your Youtube channel!

Laerun
January 19th, 2018, 06:24
You are welcome...

Laerun
February 24th, 2018, 23:18
Spring Break in FGC coming up on the 16th or march to April 1st (Easter Sunday). We plane to just play and run games for about two and a half weeks.