PDA

View Full Version : Renaissance D100 black powder using 7e Ruleset

geewaagh
June 2nd, 2017, 12:01
So I am wanting to run a more pulpy version of Renaissance D100. Vampire horror set in the 1800s middle east. The BRP ruleset is not updated, but 7th edition is. How easy would it be to run the gaming using 7e FG ruleset? Does it even make sense or should I just use MoreCore?

As a side note, do you think 7e+Pulp Cthulhu would do a better job than Cakebread & Walton's Renaissance D100?

Thanks
Geewaagh

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2017, 17:31
You'd probably be better off looking at the CoC 6e ruleset. This uses the usual 3-18 characteristic range, whereas CoC 7e uses this times 5 (to give a percentage based characteristic). Also, the CoC 6e ruleset is not encrypted, so it will be easier to modify as the FG code is accessible, where the 7e code is not.

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2017, 17:59
You'd still have to do a lot of manual things. But you could setup the skill labels. You'd need to fill in the base scores manually - or you could use a PC template exported as XML, which you could then import with most of the base data.

If you're using the optional Sanity rules, then that would be a bit different from the CoC Sanity.

And there will be other differences that the CoC code might intrude on.

In some respects MoreCore may be a simpler approach - build what you can that is specific to Renaissance D100, and do the rest manually; rather than having to work around CoC automation. For example, the CoC 6e ruleset calculates the damage bonus for you, based off STR+SIZ. This is slightly different from the Renaissance D100 table, so you'd either have to calculate damage bonus yourself, or change the ruleset to do it properly (which, actually wouldn't be a major task - the function is CombatManager2.getDamageBonus).

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2017, 18:09
The damage bonus was pretty easy. Attached is a proof of concept extension for the Call of Cthulhu 6e ruleset. I've added the common skills (just as labels, there's no calculation of the starting skill level) and changed the damage bonus table.

Note: there will be an error raised when the character sheet is opened - this is the max SAN field looking for the Cthulhu Mythos skill. A little bit of code could disable this functionality.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19218

geewaagh
June 3rd, 2017, 12:16
The damage bonus was pretty easy. Attached is a proof of concept extension for the Call of Cthulhu 6e ruleset. I've added the common skills (just as labels, there's no calculation of the starting skill level) and changed the damage bonus table.

Note: there will be an error raised when the character sheet is opened - this is the max SAN field looking for the Cthulhu Mythos skill. A little bit of code could disable this functionality.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19218

Looks very interesting! Thank you for the head start.

geewaagh
June 3rd, 2017, 12:18
Not knowing a lot about 7e, do you think 7e+Pulp Cthulhu would do a better job than Cakebread & Walton's Renaissance D100? Using the ruleset "as is" with a different set of weapons might be easier, but I am really unfamiliar with 7e.

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2017, 14:32
Not knowing a lot about 7e, do you think 7e+Pulp Cthulhu would do a better job than Cakebread & Walton's Renaissance D100? Using the ruleset "as is" with a different set of weapons might be easier, but I am really unfamiliar with 7e.
Yep, using a fully developed FG ruleset will help you a lot. But, you'd need to do conversions from any Renaissance D100 products you're basing your game on. This shouldn't take long, but you'd need to be aware of it.

Download the CoC 7e QuickStart rules for free and see what the system is like: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/128304/Call-of-Cthulhu-7th-Edition-QuickStart-Rules?cPath=74_79

geewaagh
June 5th, 2017, 11:45
Trenloe, thanks for the advice. Went ahead with 7e and adding content and house rules. I think it will work well.