PDA

View Full Version : Heal effect without using the heal button

DragonsDen13
June 2nd, 2017, 07:24
Sounds odd I know but what I am asking is:

If I want to add an ACTION using the Effect button and as part of that effect I want it to heal my character for a set amount what is the syntax for it? (if it is possible)

I have tried following the 5E Effects sheet and used "HEAL: 34 temporary" but it doesn't seem to work. Among the other things, I am trying to give my character some temporary hit points but do it with one button instead of multiple ones.

Am I barking up the wrong tree or does healing use different syntax then posted?

Thanks.

Nickademus
June 2nd, 2017, 09:27
The effect button adds text to the Combat Tracker. It does not alter the character sheet. (Thus you will not get instant healing or damage from an effect action.)

Zacchaeus
June 2nd, 2017, 09:33
You'll need to use a heal effect via the heal option when you are creating the effect. New Power -> right click -> Add Action -> Add heal. Click on the magnifying glass to get the heal dialog (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Heal_Dialog) and enter the required healing information.

Blackfoot
June 3rd, 2017, 08:44
Are you trying to create a regeneration effect?
If you want the target to be healed every time his turn comes up for a fixed amount then you can do:
REGEN:34
If you are trying to give him additional temporary HP each turn... then I don't think you can automate it... you need to target and hit the heal button with it set as temporary and a fixed number.

DragonsDen13
June 3rd, 2017, 21:33
Thanks for the responses all. I guess I was hoping there was something for heals like there is for, example, ADVSAV or ADVATK. Guess not. Again, I appreciate the responses.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2017, 17:49
I guess I was hoping there was something for heals like there is for, example, ADVSAV or ADVATK. Guess not

If I want to add an ACTION using the Effect button and as part of that effect I want it to heal my character for a set amount what is the syntax for it? (if it is possible)
I think we may need to clarify what you're looking for here. First, let's clarify terminology - an ACTION is usually a dice roll: attack, damage, save, heal, etc.. And EFFECT applies a modifier to the result of an action - it "effects" the action.

You can setup an ACTION within a power that heals 34 hit points:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19240

You can change this to add temporary hit points if you want:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19241

This is basically what Zacchaeus was trying to explain above, but was mixing action and effect terminology, when this is purely an ACTION, not an EFFECT.

@DragonsDen13 From your original post, this seems to be what you're looking for? Let us know...

Zacchaeus
June 4th, 2017, 18:18
Indeed I used incorrect terminology. I assumed (dangerous I know) that the OP wanted to use the effect button i.e. the running man icon and create an effect of HEAL:34 - which you can't do. As Trenloe says the correct action is to use the Heal Action rather than the effect.

Also, Trenloe why are you healing the Doppleganger :)

Trenloe
June 4th, 2017, 19:05
Also, Trenloe why are you healing the Doppleganger :)
'cause they look like a party member. :D

Zacchaeus
June 4th, 2017, 22:39
'cause they look like a party member. :D

Ah, of course!

LordEntrails
June 4th, 2017, 23:13
Dopplegangers are people too!

DragonsDen13
June 5th, 2017, 02:01
Thank you again. I had made the temp heal button as part of the overall spell. What I was trying to do was use "one" button click to make a stat change and a temp heal, instead of one for the stat change and one for the heal effect.

Looking at the 5e Effects on the FG wiki page, it lists HEAL as one of the items so I thought it should work something like this: "STR: 7; HEAL: 34" but I couldn't find any combo/wording that would apply the healing part, in either changing the actual character hitpoints to 34 or applying temporary health to 34.

Nickademus
June 5th, 2017, 02:11
The HEAL token is for modifying healing rolls. Such as 'HEAL: d4' which would add a d4 to any healing rolls made by the character with the effect. It's not a direct action.

DragonsDen13
June 5th, 2017, 02:55
That explains that one then. Thank you.