PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of Steam integration again?

Topdecker
June 2nd, 2017, 02:06
I tried the Steam integration and now the updater is downloading almost everything that I own again (some smaller modules are getting skipped). That can't be good...

"It enables us to do future store integrations like updating Paizo.com for syncing purchases with their store so you can get free PDFs"

It would also be nice if you could keep your own store notified and synchronized. I have a bundle that is out of sync which is a bit aggravating at best.

LordEntrails
June 2nd, 2017, 02:24
So..I'm not sure if you are asking a question or just venting...

Steam integration is so that if you use Steam, then your Steam account can be linked with your FG account and you don't have to worry about having DLC through both the FG store and the Steam store.

Or did I miss the point of your post?

Topdecker
June 2nd, 2017, 02:28
I am saying that I integrated my Steam account, but the FG store remains unaware of Steam purchases - and Steam is unaware of FG purchases. I _don't_ feel integrated at all and about all I got from it was a lengthy download session. So I am curious if I need to wait and be patient (i.e. data needs to sync) or if this is something that will happen in the future or what.

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2017, 02:35
This was a step towards better integration from an update perspective - removing the requirement to have the Steam client running and logged in for FG to be aware of Steam DLC. Allowing Mac users to be able to access Steam DLC purchases - which they couldn't do before.

I don't know if there are any further plans to sync purchases into the relevant stores. This was just for the update process.

Nylanfs
June 2nd, 2017, 02:36
It's for the Paizo PDF integration, the store doesn't know what you buy on Steam, so to get the PDF's on the Paizos store they had to get some method of getting all the stores info combined, and the easiest that they have control of is their store so they can make fixes if needs be.

At least that's my conjecture.

Moon Wizard
June 2nd, 2017, 02:37
It's one step on the way to getting the data to allow us to calculate bundles on the FG store based on purchases from other stores. Also, it enabled us to service Mac Steam users much better without requiring a lot of manual support work. Finally, it was necessary to curb piracy.

Cheers,
JPG

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2017, 02:38
It's for the Paizo PDF integration, the store doesn't know what you buy on Steam, so to get the PDF's on the Paizos store they had to get some method of getting all the stores info combined...
The v3.3.1 update was not to do with Paizo at all. The Paizo store integration (at least into FG) was done a few weeks ago. See the info in my post (#4 above) for what the v3.3.1 update was for. Edit: ...and Moon Wizards update just above.

Nylanfs
June 2nd, 2017, 02:40
I like my theory better. :)

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2017, 02:41
I like my theory better. :)
You would. ;)

Topdecker
June 2nd, 2017, 03:11
I was unaware of the dependency upon the Steam client needing to be running - so that makes a lot of sense. It would still be nice if the store could flag what you owned - it could potentially clear-up a lot of the two-points of sale problems.

Still like the way Nylanfs is thinking about it ;). His theory IS better

Valacar
June 11th, 2017, 02:32
I'm struggling with getting the 3.3.1 update. Signed in both FG from the settings button, then the steam log in link thing and it still only shows 3.3.0. Not that it's major thing but curious what I'm doing wrong. I saw and thought I did the way is in the city hall thread but overlooking something apparently.

Trenloe
June 11th, 2017, 02:45
I'm struggling with getting the 3.3.1 update. Signed in both FG from the settings button, then the steam log in link thing and it still only shows 3.3.0.
Steam integration shouldn't effect base version numbers - it will all be driven off your base license key.

Where does it show 3.3.0? If it's in the chat window (ruleset version) then that's fine - rulesets weren't updated to v3.3.1. If your main FG launch screen shows v3.3.0 in the top right corner, then that's different. Look at solutions here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34865-v3-3-0-Issues-Problems-after-updating-Random-script-errors-etc

Valacar
June 11th, 2017, 19:36
Thanks Trenloe, it's still showing 3.3.0 Ultimate on the launch screen. I've tried the steps in the link provided with no luck. Luckily I've only been using it for TV map projection and don't have any characters and such saved so I've uninstalled and doing the reinstall now. It will take a bit since I have all the WoTC stuff and also the Rolemaster rules. I'll reply back if this fixes the issue, might be over the top but not a big deal for me.

Good to go after the reinstall! 3.3.1, now time to check on the extensions to add back in.

Galach
June 13th, 2017, 21:16
For me, the integration worked flawlessly. Further, other games (like Elder Scrolls Online, for instance) are using the same model and it works perfectly too.

In the case o Fantasy Grounds, this was something I was hoping to happen for ages now, because exchange rates in Steam Store a much better than in credit card provider (at least in my country), and it was a pain in the @&& to send an email bothering people ar Smite Works to update my product list since I moved to Linux - after all, they have more important things to do, and this integration service is gold.

TheWorldSmith
June 15th, 2017, 14:24
Few programs or content that I have ever owned have given me more grief than Fantasy Grounds. The idea is awesome, when it does work it is brilliant, but time and time again there are major issues that are time-consuming and vexing to no end. I have recently just stuck with the basics so there would not be anymore issues...

However. After the last update (updater "improvements"), Fantasy Grounds no longer recognizes all my Steam DLCs, which is everything since I purchased through Steam. My PHB, DMG, my adventure modules, Savage Worlds, etc. I went through the settings to "Manage Steam Account Link" and linked the accounts. I got the accounts synched, but even after updating, closing everything out and trying again, none of my Steam account DLCs are back.

After dumping a chunk of cash into ultimate licence, digital game books, and downloaded content this is now seeming like a complete waste of time and money. My friends who use Roll20 never have these kinds of problems. Is it time to cut my losses and run?

LordEntrails
June 15th, 2017, 15:10
Welcome to the forums Gavrish. Sorry to hear of your frustrations.

To answer your question, I don't think you should leave your investment behind. I'm guessing in the past you've tried working through any issues you have had on your own, I would encourage you to come here, people here on the forums will be able to help you through any issues and get you running pretty quickly.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to solve this one for you, but I'm sure someone else will jump in shortly who can give you some good trouble shooting steps to try.

Hang in there, we'll help get you fixed up.

Trenloe
June 15th, 2017, 15:26
I went through the settings to "Manage Steam Account Link" and linked the accounts. I got the accounts synched, but even after updating, closing everything out and trying again, none of my Steam account DLCs are back.
Put your FG website user name in the settings screen, click update next to the user ID and enter your password. Then click "Login", OK on the settings screen and then Update in the updater screen.

This needs to be done (entering your login ID and password) even if you did it previously so that the updater is now aware of the synced list of products including Steam purchases.

Nylanfs
June 15th, 2017, 15:51
He also needs to link his Steam and FG account also I believe.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/syncSteamAccount.xcp

Trenloe
June 15th, 2017, 15:54
He also needs to link his Steam and FG account also I believe.
Gavriah said they already did that: "I went through the settings to "Manage Steam Account Link" and linked the accounts."

Nylanfs
June 15th, 2017, 16:24
Oh, if you do that in the FG settings it's propagated to the Smiteworks account profile? I didn't know that.

Trenloe
June 15th, 2017, 16:33
Oh, if you do that in the FG settings it's propagated to the Smiteworks account profile? I didn't know that.
Nope. Clicking the "Manage Steam Account Link" button takes you to the page to link your account. The exact page you provided a link for.