PDA

View Full Version : Paper and Pencil

General06
June 1st, 2017, 17:06
I just got introduced to the world of D&D. I play with some old schoolers that run it all with paper and pencil, white boards and dry erase. I want to start DMing, and thought this looked amazing. Is it possible to run a campaign on Fantasy Grounds as a DM, and have all the players play with paper and pencil? Specifically, is it possible to DM the whole thing on the computer, but have a second computer screen facing the players showing the "player" map concealed with fog of war or "mask"? That way they can see the map as I reveal it. they can draw the map if they want for combat. they can move their little leggo figures around if they want, roll their crazy dice sets, tell me the damage numbers, and I can manually input them into the computer. Is it possible to have the "player" map on a second computer screen? Thank you in advance for your time and help.

marcusrife
June 1st, 2017, 17:58
Short answer is yes.

Trenloe
June 1st, 2017, 18:05
Yep. Some info and photos of using a flat-screen TV, and FG a battlemap here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33834-Map-resize-to-TV-resolution-for-Face-To-Face-games&p=338342&viewfull=1#post338342

GunbunnyFuFu
June 1st, 2017, 18:07
This is how I run my 5E game. I have my laptop set up, a copy of everyone's character in FG, etc. I start my FG campaign, and then I connect to my campaign using localhost in the alias. I then drag this instance of FG to a 50" TV. I can reveal the map to the players as they explore, and for combat we can either run it on FG or run it tabletop and they tell me their AC they hit and damage, and I'll mark it accordingly in the combat tracker. My players really enjoy playing this way.

Hope that helps!

GB