PDA

View Full Version : A long, loooonng time ago...

Morfedel
January 17th, 2006, 05:21
I had posted about serious frustration in being unable to host a game, and that I'd buy this product if my problem could be solved.

No one was able to fix it. Well, I made friends recently with a networking guru, who figured out the problem was with the setting of my router's DMZ. Well, now thats fixed.

And now I'm evaluating what product to purchase.

FG looks very, VERY pretty. But I've heard rumors that its a bit too solidly linked in D20. D20 to me is a so-so game. I have a number of other games I would prefer to play.

Thus, I need to know if its possible, and how hard it is, to create different rules sets and insert rules books for the games I run, much in the way that you have for D&D, which has the integrated rules, character sheets, rule books, etc etc.

Currently, I'm comparing this product to Klooge. From what I can tell, FG appears to be easier to use, and is much, much prettier, but Klooge appears to have greater functionality, and I've already opened their rules definition files to see how to write game rules for it.

So... what do you think? :)

Crusader
January 17th, 2006, 12:36
Well, I can't really help you with the comparison with Klooge. The latter has, as you say a lot of functionality. What I do know is that it isn't hard at all to create new rulsets that has little or nothing to do with d20. I myself have created a ruleset for HârnMaster if you've heard of it, and it was simple. It takes a bit of work, because you have to code the rulset in XML, but I found it really simple to work with once you learn the structure of it.

Morfedel
January 17th, 2006, 13:20
Ah. Well, I do know XML, thankfully. Is it possible to see this rules set in the demo? And if so, could I get a copy of it from you? (I suspect it woudn't allow me to, but it would be nice to actually see it for myself)

richvalle
January 17th, 2006, 17:52
The demo won't work with other rulesets.

One of the user's here made a rule set for 1st ed Dnd and he shared it. I think it was Elric. You should be able to find it and download it off his website.

You wouldn't be able to use it in the demo but you would be able to look at the files/structure to see what is involved.

rv

Sigurd
January 18th, 2006, 04:55
I find the product a lot of fun and the technical glitches relatively minor. There are people making other rulesets and talk of more rulesets in the future.

If you like XML there is stuff you can do that might be interesting and appreciated. If you don't like XML you can sit back and let others do it for you.

"I had posted about serious frustration in being unable to host a game, and that I'd buy this product if my problem could be solved."

If you still don't want to buy the product my suggestion is to go buy Klooge and come back and tell us about it. I have no interest to spend my $ there or even look for that matter, but I'd listen to an appraisal. Then I bet you'll buy Fgrounds anyway.

Most everyone here is an Fgrounds user and we wouldn't be here if we weren't happy with the product. Tour the boards draw an opinion. If you're looking for a hard sell you wont find it. Enticing users with another sale doesn't work well either.

Good Luck

Fence sitting gets you splinters :)

Sigurd

Morfedel
January 18th, 2006, 19:52
Actually, I'm leaning towards FG currently. I just want to see an example of what a rules definition file looks like first. I was going to with the FG demo, only to discover there werent any rules definition files, hehe!

richvalle
January 18th, 2006, 20:23
Thread about it here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2533&highlight=elric+ruleset

and the ruleset should be here though I've not looked for it:

https://www.fantasticadventures.net/

Morfedel
January 18th, 2006, 21:44
BTW: Does anyone know if Fantasy Grounds can do dice pools? You know, as an example, rolling multiple dice, each against a target number, and each target number results in one success?

I ask because I've heard that Klooge can't do it. Rather, it can't do it automatically, meaning you have to roll the dice "the old fashioned way."

For that matter, can you roll even d20 style rules sets against target numbers? For instance, if I said "the creatures has an an AC of 29," is there a way, even if it means writing a new definition file, for setting a roll of [1d20+6.vs(29)] for success or failure, etc?

I don't mind writing the definition. Just need to know if either the dice pool or vs target number CAN be done.

richvalle
January 18th, 2006, 21:51
I think this will be possible when 1.06 comes out and scripted is added. I've seen the devs say that dice pools (and cards and...) will be possible then.

rv

Morfedel
January 18th, 2006, 22:17
Ah, ok. Thanks