PDA

View Full Version : In need of VPN help

Newf
June 1st, 2017, 02:29
Howdy. I'm stressing myself out over this and need a break from trying to find the answer for myself.

I recently moved and am now using a Wireless Access Point for my internet (renting a basement suite). As such, I can't get my port forwarded for Fantasy Grounds. I've tried a few VPNs, but nothing seems to work at all.

I know Hamachi works, but unfortunately one of my players refuses to use it.

Does anyone know of a VPN service that is known to work with FG? (I've already looked through the forums for anything I could find, but nothing has worked aside from Hamachi)

Thanks!

LordEntrails
June 1st, 2017, 03:12
There are a few other options that others have used.

There is discussion on these threads about some options;
- https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20160-Using-a-VPN-Service-Provider-to-get-around-port-forwarding-issues/page7
- https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32022-Recommendations-for-VPN-VLAN

There is also the option detailed here about setting up your own VPN server, but I can't find it atm.

Trenloe
June 1st, 2017, 03:22
PureVPN with the addition of a fixed IP is the most recently tested and known setup that works.

Newf
June 1st, 2017, 03:26
Thanks, I'll have to look up pure vpn and try that out. I hate having to pay first and then get things refunded if they don't work. I've already got three charges on my card today that didn't pan out. :cry:

Newf
June 1st, 2017, 03:46
Yikes, while Pure VPN seems to be able to do it, it's going to cost me $100CDN up front (2 years out of it, but still). Don't think I'll be doing that when the player I mentioned doesn't show up every week. Not really worth it for me. Oh well. Guess my game will go on hiatus for a while. Thanks for the tips!

Trenloe
June 1st, 2017, 03:56
Don't think I'll be doing that when the player I mentioned doesn't show up every week.
Well, if they're refusing to use Hamachi tell them to use it or stump up for a VPN solution. Or just play without them. I wouldn't let a selfish player stop my gaming.

Newf
June 1st, 2017, 04:32
Well, if they're refusing to use Hamachi tell them to use it or stump up for a VPN solution. Or just play without them. I wouldn't let a selfish player stop my gaming.

Agreed. I've already spent more than enough on FG for them to play. As luck has it, a new player will be joining us this week. So it's up to them if they choose to play or not. Without them, however, I'd be down to two players, and one of those isn't much of a gamer, so it wouldn't be much of a session.

Trenloe
June 1st, 2017, 04:44
Hope it works out and you keep playing. :-)

Newf
June 1st, 2017, 05:41
Hope it works out and you keep playing. :-)

Thanks! We always seem to find a way.

Going to ask my landlord if I can do a factory reset on the modem tomorrow. That might solve everything.

Nylanfs
June 1st, 2017, 12:06
Try logging into the router using admin / password. You wouldn't believe how many don't change their router logins.

Newf
June 1st, 2017, 14:46
Try logging into the router using admin / password. You wouldn't believe how many don't change their router logins.

Yeah I've tried. The password has been changed, and they don't know what it is. I'm going to see if they'll allow me to do a factory reset on the modem today so I can set everything up again.

Newf
June 2nd, 2017, 02:29
Yeah I've tried. The password has been changed, and they don't know what it is. I'm going to see if they'll allow me to do a factory reset on the modem today so I can set everything up again.

Just wanted to post an update that I talked with my landlord and I was able to get into the router after all once I reset the password on the modem. So now all is good. Just had to forward the port twice; once on the modem, and once on my wireless router. GREEN SUCCESS! :D

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2017, 02:32
GREEN SUCCESS! :D
:D Indeed!