PDA

View Full Version : SavageWorlds v4.4 released

Ikael
May 31st, 2017, 21:16
The latest version of SavageWorlds ruleset along with several updated products have been released! Read more information about the update from here (http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38547-Savage-Worlds-data-update-5-30). In case you don't get updated products via updater read this post (http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38541-Release-v3-3-1-is-live&p=340113&viewfull=1#post340113) and act accordingly.

Feedback and possible issues found from the new release can be posted to this thread or to House of Healing (http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?41-The-House-of-Healing) threads

deff
May 31st, 2017, 22:06
Hello,

i made a french extension of deadlands reloaded ext. These updates (sw4 + dlr) of course break my extension, i'm trying to redo it from scratch but i'm facing a weird thing.
I cannot translate englih text, my translation is overlaping original text instead of replacing it.

for example, in dlr_charsheet_notes.xml, i replaced
<label_char_center>
<anchored to="worstnightmareframe"/>
<static>Worst Nightmare</static>
</label_char_center>

by

<label_char_center>
<static>Pire cauchemard</static>
</label_char_center>

but here what i get :

https://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_198179ScreenShot053117at0957PM.png (https://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=198179ScreenShot053117at0957PM.png)

I did several translation but this is the first i see this kind of thing, looks like both extensions are loaded....

Any idea ?

Ikael
May 31st, 2017, 22:15
Hello,

i made a french extension of deadlands reloaded ext. These updates (sw4 + dlr) of course break my extension, i'm trying to redo it from scratch but i'm facing a weird thing.
I cannot translate englih text, my translation is overlaping original text instead of replacing it.

for example, in dlr_charsheet_notes.xml, i replaced
<label_char_center>
<static>Worst Nightmare</static>
</label_char_center>

by

<label_char_center>
</label_char_center>

but here what i get :

https://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_198179ScreenShot053117at0957PM.png (https://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=198179ScreenShot053117at0957PM.png)

I did several translation but this is the first i see this kind of thing, looks like both extensions are loaded....

Any idea ?

The reason is that new version uses merge rules instead of completely replacing existing one and now your is just appending new text to the same position. I would need to know more how you replace these texts/files to give more information. But one thing that could be done is to update DLR and the ruleset to use string resources instead of "hard coded" texts. This would allow you to do translations much easier. I will do some of these in v4.5 development cycle

deff
May 31st, 2017, 22:26
I would need to know more how you replace these texts/files to give more information.

ok here is my extension.xml

<root version="3.0" release="4">
<announcement text="Theme FR Deadlands Reloaded par Deff v2.4" font="emotefont" icon="rulesetlogo_CoreRPG" />

<properties>
<name>Theme FR Deadlands Reloaded</name>
<version>1</version>

<author>Deff</author>
<description>Theme FR Deadlands Reloaded by Deff</description>

<ruleset>
<name>SavageWorlds</name>
</ruleset>

<loadorder>120</loadorder>

</properties>

<base>

<includefile source="graphics/graphics_frames.xml" />
<includefile source="graphics/graphics.xml" />
<includefile source="graphics/dlr_graphics_sidebar.xml" />

<includefile source="charsheet/dlr_charsheet_notes.xml" />
</base>
</root>

and the dlr_charsheet_notes.xml :

<root>
<windowclass name="charsheet_notes" merge="join">
<sheetdata>
<frame_char name="notesframe">
<anchored>
<right offset="-260" />
</anchored>
</frame_char>

<frame_char name="backgroundframe">
<anchored>
<top parent="header" anchor="bottom" offset="5" />
<left parent="notesframe" anchor="right" offset="5" />
<right offset="-15" />
<bottom anchor="center" offset="50" />
</anchored>
</frame_char>
<label_char_center>
<anchored to="backgroundframe"/>
<static>Background</static>
</label_char_center>
<stringfield name="background">
<anchored to="backgroundframe" position="over" offset="-15,-14">
<top offset="35"/>
</anchored>
<multilinespacing>20</multilinespacing>
<font>sheettextsw</font>
<frame name="textline" offset="2,0,2,0" />
</stringfield>
<framed_list_scrollbar>
<anchored to="background"/>
<target>background</target>
</framed_list_scrollbar>

<frame_char name="worstnightmareframe">
<anchored>
<top parent="backgroundframe" anchor="bottom" offset="5" />
<left parent="notesframe" anchor="right" offset="5" />
<right offset="-15" />
<bottom offset="-15" />
</anchored>
</frame_char>
<label_char_center>
</label_char_center>
<stringfield name="worstnightmare">
<anchored to="worstnightmareframe" position="over" offset="-15,-14">
<top offset="35"/>
</anchored>
<multilinespacing>20</multilinespacing>
<font>sheettextsw</font>
<frame name="textline" offset="2,0,2,0" />
</stringfield>
<framed_list_scrollbar>
<anchored to="worstnightmare"/>
<target>worstnightmare</target>
</framed_list_scrollbar>
</sheetdata>
</windowclass>
</root>

Here is the extension : https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1upv9lzrti4vx3/DeadlandsReloaded-fr.ext?dl=0

Thanks for your help :)

goodmanje
June 1st, 2017, 00:30
I noticed the NPCs in Hellfrost don't have links for their Abilities/Edges and Hindrances. I'm not sure if that is an issue with the current state of the Hellfrost Ruleset/Bestiary or something to do with 4.4. Beasts and Barbarians works perfectly.

flynnkd
June 1st, 2017, 10:22
Unskilled rolls are not having -2 applied to either dice (should be both). OK cancel that, the -2 line had switched itself off for some reason.

Talyn
June 1st, 2017, 18:39
I noticed the NPCs in Hellfrost don't have links for their Abilities/Edges and Hindrances. I'm not sure if that is an issue with the current state of the Hellfrost Ruleset/Bestiary or something to do with 4.4. Beasts and Barbarians works perfectly.

They should still be there under Special like they always were. Until all us community devs update our previous DLC and split things into the new Edges and Hindrances section, everything will be under Special.

goodmanje
June 1st, 2017, 21:35
They should still be there under Special like they always were. Until all us community devs update our previous DLC and split things into the new Edges and Hindrances section, everything will be under Special.

Understood, thanks.

Lysander
June 2nd, 2017, 02:37
Um, I can't seem to hand out adventure cards for Savage Worlds. Old system had boxes on the initial character selection window that i could click for bennie refresh and adventure cards. Now they aren't there and I can't find the place where that's hiding...

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2017, 03:27
Um, I can't seem to hand out adventure cards for Savage Worlds. Old system had boxes on the initial character selection window that i could click for bennie refresh and adventure cards. Now they aren't there and I can't find the place where that's hiding...
It's in the party sheet now - makes more sense for it to be there so you can control which PCs you have listed, etc..

Lysander
June 2nd, 2017, 05:12
Oh. would have taken me a mountain of days to find that! Thanks!

Another issue: I tried to do the "/xp 1" command to give out experience. the chat window indicated it gave everyone an experience point, but none of my players actually received the point - had to add it in manually. Not a huge deal, but thought I'd share any issues I had, big or small...

Ikael
June 2nd, 2017, 07:33
Oh. would have taken me a mountain of days to find that! Thanks!

Another issue: I tried to do the "/xp 1" command to give out experience. the chat window indicated it gave everyone an experience point, but none of my players actually received the point - had to add it in manually. Not a huge deal, but thought I'd share any issues I had, big or small...

Did you setup PCs in party sheet before running the xp command? From now on, instead of checking connected clients, party sheet defines set of characters. This info is used in xp command, add PCs/Allies to CT, joker is wild etc.

Initially you might feel frustrated to setup party sheet, but that needs to be done only once per campaign and it provides easier way to reset bennies and adventure cards etc

Skellan
June 2nd, 2017, 08:37
Yeah, some of my campaigns have tons of characters so having bennies and adventure cards attached to the party sheet is a big improvement for me

dikdastard
June 4th, 2017, 00:48
Nice. Thanks for all the hard work especially Ikael :D- definitely a step in the right direction- loving the new character / NPC sheets and the new variable defeated markers -other rulesets will look on with envy! Fate chips finally seem to be working in Deadlands now which is great. Also fully agree with the party sheet concept.

Couple of disappointments on first looks though - the ?bug? with DLC modules regarding edits of NPC's I reported in another post still exists. An example is in Grim Prairie trails- the module lists 4 "humans" -cowboy, gambler, lawman and veteran lawman. The latter two have no weapons still! If I try to add a colt peacemaker to them via drag and drop whether I click the padlock icon to unlock or not makes no difference- the default melee weapon icon shown on the combat tab is changed to a ranged icon but no other details are populated. Furthermore several blank "critters" are produced by this action. I can make a copy of the NPC by dragging it onto the humans list which then edits correctly but it is a pain having to do this especially as the module still references the broken version which is unarmed. Obviously I wouldnt need to edit these NPCs if whoever ported Grim Prairie trails to FG had seen fit to give the lawmen something to work with in the first place but the behaviour of the software still seems broken as well.

Second disappointment, although may be its still on the to do list is a lack of manual die rolling facility especially since it is now baked into Core RPG. To confound matters my trusty D0 extension written by yourself seems to have been broken at some point in the update
Error message in console when attempting /die d0 command = Script Error: [string "desktop/scripts/manager_chat.lua"]:303: bad argument #1 to 'random' (interval is empty)

Just one final possible bug I noticed while playing with the command instructions, /xp looks very useful as a way to give all PCs on the party sheet the usual XP at the end of a session but it doesnt accept negative numbers, instead it converts them into a positive one. While that could be intentional it could also I think be useful to be able to remove XP en masse as well as add it with this command, if either I made a mistake and gave them XP twice for example or as in this case I was just messing with the feature and wanted to reset things.

Cheers

June 4th, 2017, 06:43
Minor bug after updating.

Getting the following when pulling up the verbiage for a power after adding it to the powers tab in the Charsheet. And the window for the power doesn't display correctly.

Ruleset Error: window: Control(description) anchoring to an undefined control (trappings) in windowclass (powerdesc_stats)
Ruleset Error: window: Control(description) anchoring to an undefined control (trappings) in windowclass (powerdesc_stats)

SW v4.4 + Lankhmar extension v1.02 The problem seems to be in the Lankhmar ext as it only shows up when the ext is loaded.

Ikael
June 4th, 2017, 06:55
Minor bug after updating.

Getting the following when pulling up the verbiage for a power after adding it to the powers tab in the Charsheet. And the window for the power doesn't display correctly.

SW v4.4 + Lankhmar extension v1.02 The problem seems to be in the Lankhmar ext as it only shows up when the ext is loaded.

This issue is already getting fixed. Thanks for the report thou

Ikael
June 4th, 2017, 14:02
Couple of disappointments on first looks though - the ?bug? with DLC modules regarding edits of NPC's I reported in another post still exists. An example is in Grim Prairie trails- the module lists 4 "humans" -cowboy, gambler, lawman and veteran lawman. The latter two have no weapons still! If I try to add a colt peacemaker to them via drag and drop whether I click the padlock icon to unlock or not makes no difference- the default melee weapon icon shown on the combat tab is changed to a ranged icon but no other details are populated. Furthermore several blank "critters" are produced by this action. I can make a copy of the NPC by dragging it onto the humans list which then edits correctly but it is a pain having to do this especially as the module still references the broken version which is unarmed. Obviously I wouldnt need to edit these NPCs if whoever ported Grim Prairie trails to FG had seen fit to give the lawmen something to work with in the first place but the behaviour of the software still seems broken as well.

Most likely the original module stated that those NPCs can have different set of gear which is why their weapons are left blank and it's expected that Marshal will add suitable gear on the run. I was able to identify and reproduce the drag-and-drop weapon issue you mentioned and now it's fixed in v4.5 ruleset version. It will appear in Test channel soonish.

Second disappointment, although may be its still on the to do list is a lack of manual die rolling facility especially since it is now baked into Core RPG. To confound matters my trusty D0 extension written by yourself seems to have been broken at some point in the update
Error message in console when attempting /die d0 command = Script Error: [string "desktop/scripts/manager_chat.lua"]:303: bad argument #1 to 'random' (interval is empty)

Manual Rolls feature has been scheduled, so wait for it.

Just one final possible bug I noticed while playing with the command instructions, /xp looks very useful as a way to give all PCs on the party sheet the usual XP at the end of a session but it doesnt accept negative numbers, instead it converts them into a positive one. While that could be intentional it could also I think be useful to be able to remove XP en masse as well as add it with this command, if either I made a mistake and gave them XP twice for example or as in this case I was just messing with the feature and wanted to reset things.

I can make v4.4 compatible verison of the extension and upload it here (http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38569-Ikael-s-miscellaneous-extensions)at some point

Hendell
June 4th, 2017, 19:21
Would it be possible to add an effects section to the character sheet ?
Something the player can setup or drag from the effects table and drop in that section for easy access instead of using the hotkeys or opening the table each time they need them?

Ikael
June 4th, 2017, 19:35
Would it be possible to add an effects section to the character sheet ?
Something the player can setup or drag from the effects table and drop in that section for easy access instead of using the hotkeys or opening the table each time they need them?

Something like that is planned but it's still far from being in todo list

trobadork
June 5th, 2017, 07:56
I've got a strange issue when adding new powers on the character sheet : I can't modify the Damage dice. I can't drag & drop the die and when I open the Edit/Setup windows it seems locked. BUT it's not the case with existing powers and when you create a sub-power in the character sheet...

edit : when I create a new power in the character sheet it's okay, but not when I create a power in the Powers window...

Ikael
June 5th, 2017, 15:54
I've got a strange issue when adding new powers on the character sheet : I can't modify the Damage dice. I can't drag & drop the die and when I open the Edit/Setup windows it seems locked. BUT it's not the case with existing powers and when you create a sub-power in the character sheet...

edit : when I create a new power in the character sheet it's okay, but not when I create a power in the Powers window...

That means the power itself is locked up. To unlock it, open the power from Power list and unlock it. Thereafter you're able to set the damage. I will make improvement that when you drag-and-drop power it will automatically unlock the power to avoid initial confusion

trobadork
June 5th, 2017, 18:58
Ok, thank you. What you do is amazing !

Lysander
June 8th, 2017, 03:34
My turn again. Having a minor problem with the wound markers not going away on the portraits in the upper left of the table top, even when the wounds are removed via the character sheet. What am I missing?

Wookiee420
June 8th, 2017, 04:05
i have found an issue, when i try to add cyberware or mods it doesnt work, they dont take to the PC

spite
June 8th, 2017, 10:09
Couple things I've noticed that are odd/annoyances
I can't remove DM Bennies without dragging them one by one out of the Tools bar, using "Setup GM Bennies" Simply adds an amount equal to the number of players in the sheet, instead of setting the amount to that. IE. If I have 6 players, and 2 bennies in the tool bar, I hit "Setup GM Bennies" and I end up with 8 Bennies in tool bar, instead of 6 (one for each player).
Second thing, can no longer double click on a benny on the player sheet to spend it, it needs to be dragged. This is a massive pain for me and my players who use track pad laptops around the table.

Last thing, not really an annoyance per se, but it'd be nice to be able to increase/decrease benny count from the party sheet individually, instead of only being able to "reset" everyone to 3.

Otherwise it's an amazing update, and you've done a shitload of work! Thanks so much Ikael (and anyone else who contributed)

Ikael
June 8th, 2017, 13:55
i have found an issue, when i try to add cyberware or mods it doesnt work, they dont take to the PC

Cannot reproduce the issue. Can you give more information what you wanted to achieve?

Ikael
June 8th, 2017, 13:55
My turn again. Having a minor problem with the wound markers not going away on the portraits in the upper left of the table top, even when the wounds are removed via the character sheet. What am I missing?

EDIT: Issue found, this will be fixed in v4.5

Ikael
June 8th, 2017, 14:19
Couple things I've noticed that are odd/annoyances
I can't remove DM Bennies without dragging them one by one out of the Tools bar

You can hold down CTRL and scroll with mouse wheel to change to number of bennies

using "Setup GM Bennies" Simply adds an amount equal to the number of players in the sheet, instead of setting the amount to that. IE. If I have 6 players, and 2 bennies in the tool bar, I hit "Setup GM Bennies" and I end up with 8 Bennies in tool bar, instead of 6 (one for each player)

Fixed in v4.5

Second thing, can no longer double click on a benny on the player sheet to spend it, it needs to be dragged. This is a massive pain for me and my players who use track pad laptops around the table.

Seems like double-click to use Benny has never existed to start with. Added this feature in v4.5

Last thing, not really an annoyance per se, but it'd be nice to be able to increase/decrease benny count from the party sheet individually, instead of only being able to "reset" everyone to 3.

You can drag and drop bennies in Party Sheet to grant them to given PC. Note that you do the same in PC portraits as well

Wookiee420
June 8th, 2017, 23:17
Cannot reproduce the issue. Can you give more information what you wanted to achieve?

When adding certain mods and cyberware to the PC they do not take, such as Wall Walker System, or Sensor Array, in fact most of the mods we tried to add last night I had to put on manually, couldnt find them anywhere on the inventory of the players at all, hence the reason i needed to add it...i dont know how to put screen shots of things not applying otherwise I would have done that for you. If you need more explanation let me know i will fire up the TLP campaign and try everything and get your super detailed info

spite
June 8th, 2017, 23:25
*continues to be excellent*

<3

You're the best

Mortar
June 9th, 2017, 01:18
When adding certain mods and cyberware to the PC they do not take, such as Wall Walker System, or Sensor Array, in fact most of the mods we tried to add last night I had to put on manually, couldnt find them anywhere on the inventory of the players at all, hence the reason i needed to add it...i dont know how to put screen shots of things not applying otherwise I would have done that for you. If you need more explanation let me know i will fire up the TLP campaign and try everything and get your super detailed info

Did you the SF companion ext loaded, and the SFC module open?

Cyberware and Mods can be accessed through the Items sidebar button - 2 brown buttons upper left. I just checked, and was able to drop Cyberware onto the Cyberware tab of pc sheet. Mods go on the Vehicle sheet Notes tab. Some of the mods have more than one entry so you have to make sure you pick the correct one for your vehicle.

Wookiee420
June 9th, 2017, 01:29
Did you the SF companion ext loaded, and the SFC module open?

Cyberware and Mods can be accessed through the Items sidebar button - 2 brown buttons upper left. I just checked, and was able to drop Cyberware onto the Cyberware tab of pc sheet. Mods go on the Vehicle sheet Notes tab. Some of the mods have more than one entry so you have to make sure you pick the correct one for your vehicle.

Yes i had it open, and tried that, i will check again

Ellspeth
June 10th, 2017, 14:52
Hey Ikael, it's me again. The issue with the exporter was resolved with the switch to 4.4, (and the work you do on this is SO appreciated) except here. This was the first module I had noticed the export issue on, then later with checking I noticed other modules also were affected, that was when I reported the issue. However I still get this when I try to export ONLY this module. Link checker says the stuff is there, everything works within the table, but i still get that export to a local node warning and no export. Also the mod shows up in the mod folder, but ONLY shows in the library in the table when the specific campaign I am building it in is open. Screenshot attached, I hope it covered everything.

Topdecker
June 15th, 2017, 05:33
I have encountered the following 4.4 problems. I apologize if any of these issues have been previously reported.... All of these are in the context of DLR - other settings are untested

The combat tracker ADD PCS to combat menu item does not work
The /xp command does not work
The Character Selection sheet no longer has the ability to rapidly deploy Adventure Cards or Fate Chips

I would also mention that thus far, when building encounters or using pre-built encounters, that none of the villains or mooks seem to be armed. No weapons. I am probably being a bit unlucky since I eventually found armed mooks, but if I have to arm many of the encounters with generic bad guys (i.e. Outlaws), it greatly slows what had previously been a fairly fast process. To arm them, I have to copy the bad guy or mook in order to make them writable, now we're trashing up my stuff with things to delete later - stuff that I STILL have to arm.

Doswelk
June 15th, 2017, 07:07
I have encountered the following 4.4 problems. I apologize if any of these issues have been previously reported.... All of these are in the context of DLR - other settings are untested

The combat tracker ADD PCS to combat menu item does not work - I have not noticed this problem. I suspect the PCs need to be on the party sheet.

The /xp command does not work - Are the PCs in the party sheet?

The Character Selection sheet no longer has the ability to rapidly deploy Adventure Cards or Fate Chips - These are now performed on the party sheet.

I would also mention that thus far, when building encounters or using pre-built encounters, that none of the villains or mooks seem to be armed. No weapons. I am probably being a bit unlucky since I eventually found armed mooks, but if I have to arm many of the encounters with generic bad guys (i.e. Outlaws), it greatly slows what had previously been a fairly fast process. To arm them, I have to copy the bad guy or mook in order to make them writable, now we're trashing up my stuff with things to delete later - stuff that I STILL have to arm. - I have noticed this as well but unsure if this was just how the NPCs were in the ruleset, have not checked further yet.

I am going to make video to explain all the changes just not had a chance yet.

Topdecker
June 16th, 2017, 00:24
Are the PCs in the party sheet?

No, and there in is the problem. Ok, I will correct this, thanks. A response like 'No characters in the party sheet' when this is true and either command is used _might_ keep someone from needing to ask questions like this.

dikdastard
June 25th, 2017, 01:26
Hi Topdecker, great work on the DLR maps BTW.

I can report SW 4.5 Ikael has put in test channel has now fixed the bug that was driving us both mad in stopping us arming NPCs in the commercial modules (should have been done already by the module author in my view especially when the missing equipment is actually listed in the character's descriptive text, but that's another matter). Not had time to play too much with 4.5 yet but everything so far seems to be working just fine so it might be worth you taking the leap.
/XP tool still converting negative numbers into positive but maybe its only me that wants to take stuff off my players ;) Main reason is when I make a mistake and say give them XP twice by accident and its a bit of a pain manually editing each character. Its super convenient otherwise as long as you've got the party sheet set up correctly as you now know.

Topdecker
June 30th, 2017, 19:53
I can report SW 4.5 Ikael has put in test channel has now fixed the bug that was driving us both mad in stopping us arming NPCs in the commercial modules (should have been done already by the module author in my view especially when the missing equipment is actually listed in the character's descriptive text, but that's another matter). Not had time to play too much with 4.5 yet but everything so far seems to be working just fine so it might be worth you taking the leap.

That is good news because it is really annoying the way it is now with the need to copy NPCs in order to arm them.

Beyond that, I am really happy with the changes made in 4.4 and I am looking forward to 4.5 :)

flynnkd
July 4th, 2017, 02:34
The reticule/target effects option that allows you to set the target number to the targets Parry value, does not seem to work. It just uses 4 as the ranged target number regardless. This is using Rippers module with SW4.4.

dikdastard
July 4th, 2017, 09:57
Not actually used the feature you described myself but I believe for ranged attacks TN is always 4 unless applying cover etc parry is only applicable for melee attacks as per sw deluxe standard rules

flynnkd
July 4th, 2017, 11:37
When you are in melee and trying to use a ranged weapon, or cast a ranged spell, the target number is the Parry value of the adjacent enemy. This can be set by selecting the reticule next to the Modifier box and changing it to ...vs Parry. p75.

dikdastard
July 5th, 2017, 01:03
Sorry yes that is of course correct. I hadn't realised you were using it for ranged attacks in melee- had a little play with the reticule in the SW 4.5 ruleset available in test channel and that doesn't appear to do what it says it is doing either- as you say it applies a TN of 4 irrespective of the target's parry and whether you have manually selected to "use target for rolls" or "use target for rolls against parry", switching it off altogether works though so it is at least doing something. Would be really nice if this rule was applied automatically though and wouldn't need the reticule then. FG obviously knows the range for a targeted enemy and whether the weapon attacking is classed as a ranged weapon or not, so potentially could be intelligent enough to choose target's parry value instead of 4 all by itself when the range is adjacent on that basis.
Perhaps should post it as a bug report in the 4.5 thread as that seems to be what Ikael is building on now with new features/fixes.

flynnkd
July 5th, 2017, 01:17
The range thingy might not work, my players often get into melee and then range attack another target not in melee with them. The rule still applies, however the system would have to use the parry of the guy next to you, but then resolve damage vs the target. You can do this manually, but the reticule thingy needs to work.

dikdastard
July 5th, 2017, 13:33
Probably deviating into a savage worlds rules FAQ question but are you sure you are correct to still be applying the rule in the scenario you suggest?
The rules as written refer to the TARGET being in melee with the attacker, the philosophy being that instead of merely being able to dodge a missile from a distance, at melee range the TARGET has an opportunity to use his melee skill ie parry to avoid the attack instead. If someone in the middle of a melee decides to shoot at a distant target, the target's difficulty to hit should still be TN 4 to my way of interpreting the rules.
Unlike your group, none of my players have actually attempted it. If they did, I'd be sure however that any opponents in melee with a character who has decided not to pay them full attention because they are too busy shooting at a distant opponent get suitably advantaged. Maybe a house rule giving the option of either suffering -2 parry against melee opponents until next action or applying a multiaction penalty to the attack roll instead if the character wishes to maintain a normal defence within the melee would be about right. Within the rules as written, I could otherwise apply THE DROP on this basis, but it is probably a bit too harsh other than for for some extreme cases of blatant disregard ie turning your back 180' on a melee opponent in order to shoot at a more distant opponent behind you.
I can't see a case for an adjacent enemy's parry score being in any way relevant other than when they are actually being targeted here.

Either way you have nicely illustrated that I was wrong to suggest if the automation was built into the ruleset, the reticule would become redundant. Clearly there should always be a means to manually override such behaviours when required. You need to be free as a GM to interpret the rules and run the game how you and your individual players like it, not how I or anyone else chooses to run their own games.

flynnkd
July 6th, 2017, 00:19
Well maybe we have modified it a bit. Our intent was to remind players that when they are in melee they are doing things and things are being done to them, all the time. So our logic was an extension of the 'no long arms in melee because it is a crowded place', then you apply the parry effect to targets in melee with you, so why not extend that to replicate some of the 'opportunity attack triggers' found in other games that would make shooting inside or outside the melee, and casting while in melee, more difficult. The target of the action isn't the primary issue to me, the fact is that you are distracted whilst in melee, and the Parry score being a factor of your Fight skill makes for an excellent gauge to determine just how much distraction you are under. My players like it, the fighters rush the shooters/casters for exactly this reason, to put them under pressure even if they cannot take them down.

One thing that fails with my idea is auto range calculator that is built in. Either way I get stuck with manually overriding something, either your idea or the range calculator. Because my way might not be canon it is probably best to let me do it all manually. Although automation could probably be used based in the weapon type (melee, ranged etc), looking at adjacents, and then adjusting.

Ikael
July 13th, 2017, 19:50
Thanks for pointing out that "Force against parry" feature didn't work. I was able to detect it as bug and it's fixed in v4.5 development version (will be in test channel soon). Thanks for the report and sorry for delayed asnwer, I have been on summer vacation far away from my computer. Little by little I am getting back to business