PDA

View Full Version : effect on feat elemental adept

evilmouse
May 31st, 2017, 17:14
Whats right code to ignore a creature resistance and reroll dice numbers i need help

Nylanfs
May 31st, 2017, 17:16
This post may be of assistance.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27337-Effects-the-Complete-Monk-Package&p=244487#post244487

evilmouse
June 3rd, 2017, 04:06
this is a feat

Zacchaeus
June 3rd, 2017, 09:09
There isn't an effect you can set up that will ignore resistance. The DM will have to switch off the effect in the CT before the player rolls for damage.

I'm not sure what you mean by rerolling dice numbers. If you are trying to set up a weapon which rerolls; say rolls of 1, then add into the weapon properties section 'reroll 1'; if you want to reroll 1 & 2 then 'reroll 2' etc

If it isn't that then some further information would be good.

Nickademus
June 3rd, 2017, 19:13
He quoted a feat from the PHB. Can't duplicate it here because of legals, but it causes spell damage to treat 1's as 2's.

FG doesn't do this.

Drogo210
August 16th, 2018, 20:00
There isn't an effect you can set up that will ignore resistance. The DM will have to switch off the effect in the CT before the player rolls for damage.

I'm not sure what you mean by rerolling dice numbers. If you are trying to set up a weapon which rerolls; say rolls of 1, then add into the weapon properties section 'reroll 1'; if you want to reroll 1 & 2 then 'reroll 2' etc

If it isn't that then some further information would be good.

Well you can try something like IFT: CUSTOM(RESIST: edit); DMG: .....
And here is where I stopped because I did not find any code fore double or crit the damage, otherwise would have worked, as I tried DMG: 2 and it did :)

LordEntrails
August 16th, 2018, 20:31
As said earlier, you can't ignore resistsnce with an effect. As you noticed, your code doesn't work. You can do REROLL:2, but not the resistance part.

Zacchaeus
August 16th, 2018, 20:31
This is an old post so it is at least possible now to create an effect which would nullify the resistance.

If a creature is resistant to a particular damage type it is possible to nullify that resistance by creating an effect of VULN: <damage type> and placing it on the creature. So creating an effect of, say 'resistant' and placing it on the NPC and then creating another effect on the player of IFT: CUSTOM(resistant); VULN: <damagetype> would succeed. It still seems easier for the DM to switch off the resistance in the CT.

There still isn't a way to make 1's into 2's however, but that is fairly easy to add in manually after the event. Another method would be to untarget before rolling the damage and roll instead into the chatbox. Count up any 1's and add that number into the modifier box and then drag the damage from chat onto the creature.

LordEntrails
August 16th, 2018, 20:51
This is an old post so it is at least possible now to create an effect which would nullify the resistance.

If a creature is resistant to a particular damage type it is possible to nullify that resistance by creating an effect of VULN: <damage type> and placing it on the creature. So creating an effect of, say 'resistant' and placing it on the NPC and then creating another effect on the player of IFT: CUSTOM(resistant); VULN: <damagetype> would succeed. It still seems easier for the DM to switch off the resistance in the CT.

There still isn't a way to make 1's into 2's however, but that is fairly easy to add in manually after the event. Another method would be to untarget before rolling the damage and roll instead into the chatbox. Count up any 1's and add that number into the modifier box and then drag the damage from chat onto the creature.
Man am I off today!

Drogo210
August 16th, 2018, 21:48

Yep, I' ve just realized it :). Funny, it worked once and then it stopped. It does apply the VULN anymore.

Drogo210
August 17th, 2018, 12:49
Yep, I' ve just realized it :). Funny, it worked once and then it stopped. It does apply the VULN anymore.

Okey figured it out. It has to be you turn and the code "IFT: CUSTOM(RESIST: edit); VULN: edit" works.
The effect is applied on the PC, you do not need to create anything on NPC assuming it already have the RESIST to the specific element.

Zacchaeus
August 17th, 2018, 16:44
IFT: CUSTOM (RESIST: edit) doesn't do anything at all since you cannot test for a resistance. The CUSTOM function looks for something on the NPC so if you have placed an effect on the NPC of 'edit' then IFT: CUSTOM(edit) will return a positive result. If that happens then FG will move on to the next part of your effect which would be VULN: <damagetype>.

Video six in this series (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E) explains more about the CUSTOM function and how it works.

Drogo210
August 17th, 2018, 23:36
IFT: CUSTOM (RESIST: edit) doesn't do anything at all since you cannot test for a resistance. The CUSTOM function looks for something on the NPC so if you have placed an effect on the NPC of 'edit' then IFT: CUSTOM(edit) will return a positive result. If that happens then FG will move on to the next part of your effect which would be VULN: <damagetype>.

Video six in this series (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E) explains more about the CUSTOM function and how it works.

Thanks, Zacchaeus. Indeed, it worked but the catch was on the second string of the coding, VULN: <damagetype>. To apply this condition it has to be your turn otherwise the program can apply only the first string of the code. At least a think this is how it works, as if select you PC and apply the code, it works perfectly.

Thanks again for the help.

epithet
August 20th, 2018, 16:53
I'm not sure I'm following you, Drogo. If we take the following effect:
Elemental Adept; IFT: CUSTOM(RESIST: fire); VULN: fire
Can that be on the character always, and will only work when it is that character's turn? Or, are you saying that it will only work if the character applies the effect on its turn, and it will need to re-apply the effect on its turn every time it wants to gain the benefit of the effect?

Also, will REROLL: 1 work as a combat tracker effect, or is it only effective as a weapon effect? I checked the 5e effects page, and the word "reroll" doesn't even appear on the page.

Elemental Adept is a feat that appeared in the Player's Handbook 5 years ago. It is an ability that is a pain in the butt to handle manually, rendering the damage automation that Fantasy Grounds provides useless for the adept's attack. Why is this still not implemented? I am sympathetic to the concept of keeping automation at 80% or so, but this feat really needs to be supported with automation.

It seems that there are a great many effects that are coded into Fantasy Grounds for the 5e ruleset that aren't really documented anywhere. For example, there has been a critical range combat tracker effect and a critical range weapon effect in the code for years now, and those aren't documented. It doesn't matter how insanely useful or brilliant the automation built into the 5e ruleset is, if the DM and players aren't aware of it and able to apply it to their characters. It seems like about half the time, Moon does something brilliant with automation but only the people who read the beta forum and patch notes ever find out about it. It feels as though Smiteworks has an attitude about documentation that resembles "ask on the forum, Zacchaeus or Damned will answer your question."

If you can't test for a resistance, that seems like a glaring oversight. Obviously Fantasy Grounds tests for resistance every time it applies damage, so it seems like it should certainly be possible to make that test accessible in a combat tracker conditional.

Drogo210
August 20th, 2018, 17:13
Can that be on the character always, and will only work when it is that character's turn? Or, are you saying that it will only work if the character applies the effect on its turn, and it will need to re-apply the effect on its turn every time it wants to gain the benefit of the effect?
Sorry, for the previous post was indeed confusing. What I was trying to say is that if you apply that code (as effect) you will apply vulnerability to fire to the target if it has RESIST: fire. However, when you roll the fire damage it has to be your turn to make the code working. And no it is a permanent effect you do not need to apply it again. However, I am having some difficulties with that again as it stop applying vulnerability to the target again. In addition, I have spoken with Rob and he suggested me to check even fire damage on you because probably you will get vulnerability. Saying that, I found that the best solution for now, is your DM apply the damage one time more dragging the damage from the chat to the target

Also, will REROLL: 1 work as a combat tracker effect, or is it only effective as a weapon effect? I checked the 5e effects page, and the word "reroll" doesn't even appear on the page.Reroll 1, works different it means that when you roll 1 you reroll another dice of previous. Ex: 1d6 you roll 1, you reroll another 1d6. To cope with that your DM can just count how many 1s you rolled and add 1 wound to the target for each 1

Elemental Adept is a feat that appeared in the Player's Handbook 5 years ago. It is an ability that is a pain in the butt to handle manually, rendering the damage automation that Fantasy Grounds provides useless for the adept's attack. Why is this still not implemented? I am sympathetic to the concept of keeping automation at 80% or so, but this feat really needs to be supported with automation.

It seems that there are a great many effects that are coded into Fantasy Grounds for the 5e ruleset that aren't really documented anywhere. For example, there has been a critical range combat tracker effect and a critical range weapon effect in the code for years now, and those aren't documented. It doesn't matter how insanely useful or brilliant the automation built into the 5e ruleset is, if the DM and players aren't aware of it and able to apply it to their characters. It seems like about half the time, Moon does something brilliant with automation but only the people who read the beta forum and patch notes ever find out about it. It feels as though Smiteworks has an attitude about documentation that resembles "ask on the forum, Zacchaeus or Damned will answer your question."

If you can't test for a resistance, that seems like a glaring oversight. Obviously Fantasy Grounds tests for resistance every time it applies damage, so it seems like it should certainly be possible to make that test accessible in a combat tracker conditional.

I think, they have a list of priorities, this is probably at the end as it can be achieved pretty easily in different ways too

Zacchaeus
August 20th, 2018, 18:11

As I have noted in a number of replies now IFT: CUSTOM(RESIST:fire) does not do anything. It does not work. The CUSTOM function looks for something on the target and if it is present then it will do something about it. If we take the Hunter's Mark as an example we can set this up using two different effects. The first one we could called simply 'Marked' and set the targeting to targets. This effect is then placed on the NPC which is the subject of the Rangers spell. We then need a second effects IFT: (CUSTOM Marked);DMG: 1d6. We set the targetting to self and it gets applied to the Ranger. So when the ranger comes to do damage to the target the IFT statement fires; it looks for a custom effect on the target, specifically it looks for Marked. If it finds that effect on the target then it will deal an additional amount of damage.

In this case IFT: CUSTOM(anything); VULN: fire won't actually work at all. All you actually need is an effect of VULN: fire which is placed on the target before rolling damage. Even this however will not give a perfect result if the damage dealt is an odd number. This is becasue the effects are applied sequentially so the resistance kicks in halving the damage (rounding down) and then the VULN doubles that damage. So if a resistant creature is hit for 5 wounds that gets reduced to 2 and then VULN doubles it to 4.

The best way to deal with this is for the DM to use the On/Skip/off button on the CT next to the RESIST effect on the NPC.

Drogo210
August 20th, 2018, 18:43
As I have noted in a number of replies now IFT: CUSTOM(RESIST:fire) does not do anything. It does not work. The CUSTOM function looks for something on the target and if it is present then it will do something about it. If we take the Hunter's Mark as an example we can set this up using two different effects. The first one we could called simply 'Marked' and set the targeting to targets. This effect is then placed on the NPC which is the subject of the Rangers spell. We then need a second effects IFT: (CUSTOM Marked);DMG: 1d6. We set the targetting to self and it gets applied to the Ranger. So when the ranger comes to do damage to the target the IFT statement fires; it looks for a custom effect on the target, specifically it looks for Marked. If it finds that effect on the target then it will deal an additional amount of damage.

In this case IFT: CUSTOM(anything); VULN: fire won't actually work at all. All you actually need is an effect of VULN: fire which is placed on the target before rolling damage. Even this however will not give a perfect result if the damage dealt is an odd number. This is becasue the effects are applied sequentially so the resistance kicks in halving the damage (rounding down) and then the VULN doubles that damage. So if a resistant creature is hit for 5 wounds that gets reduced to 2 and then VULN doubles it to 4.

The best way to deal with this is for the DM to use the On/Skip/off button on the CT next to the RESIST effect on the NPC.

It does indeed. Try to put RESIST: fire on an NPC and with the effect on you, during your turn, use the code IFT: (RESIST: fire);DMG: 5. You will apply 5 more damage
I hope you can see because the quality is pretty bad.
And believe me when I say that few weeks ago it worked with ;VULN: fire and multiple resistances on target. I do not know what happened.

Zacchaeus
August 20th, 2018, 21:01
I think you may have found an unexpected use of the CUSTOM function. Not at all sure why that should work, but you are right it does work for damage.

epithet
August 20th, 2018, 21:55
CUSTOM just looks for a text string, right? So if the string "RESIST: fire" appears on the combat tracker for a character, then CUSTOM will return a true value.

I know how REROLL works, I've been using it as a weapon property for 5 years. My question is whether it works as a combat tracker effect.

Zacchaeus
August 20th, 2018, 22:03
CUSTOM just looks for a text string, right? So if the string "RESIST: fire" appears on the combat tracker for a character, then CUSTOM will return a true value.

I know how REROLL works, I've been using it as a weapon property for 5 years. My question is whether it works as a combat tracker effect.

You may well be right on the first point. And no Reroll doesn't work as a CT effect. The only way is in weapon properties.

epithet
August 20th, 2018, 22:03
I think, they have a list of priorities, this is probably at the end as it can be achieved pretty easily in different ways too

I don't agree. Sure, there are work-arounds, but Smiteworks have put a lot into automating damage rolls and the application of damage to a target, and this feat makes almost all of that automation useless for the relevant abilities. We're not talking about something obscure, either--this has been in 5e since the Player's Handbook was first released. I'm sure they have a list of priorities, all I'm saying is that I would have expected to have the original Player's Handbook feats elegantly implemented in less than 5 years.

epithet
August 20th, 2018, 22:19
Another source of my confusion is the VULN effect. If I add an effect to Character1 on the combat tracker that is "VULN: fire", that makes Character1 vulnerable to fire. Your'e saying that if I add an IFT conditional that returns a true value before it, that VULN will then make the target vulnerable?

It looks to me as if the only real way to automate this at all is for the DM to add a VULN: fire effect to the resistant target and shift-drag the effect to the elemental adept character. That will cause the target to be vulnerable to the fire attacks of the adept without having to stop, deactivate the resistance, let the adept do his damage, then turn the resistance back on.

Is there a way for a player to apply a targeted effect like that?

Jiminimonka
August 25th, 2020, 11:35
Yes, if its IMMUNE then VULN doesnt counter the immunity.
Pity, as coding this feat would be very handy and save time.
Rob Twohy Feat Coding doesn't code this, just has an effect that describes what it does, so it must not be currently possible.

Dax Doomslayer
August 25th, 2020, 15:07
There is an extension on DMs Guild that I think may be what you're looking for: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/312867/Fantasy-Grounds-Automatic-Elemental-Adept.

Jiminimonka
August 25th, 2020, 22:10
Cool. It should be a part of the software by now really. Maybe FGU will fix that. Probably not.