PDA

View Full Version : Release v3.3.1 is live

Moon Wizard
May 30th, 2017, 22:49
Fantasy Grounds v3.3.1 is now available via the FG updater or via the FG installer on the Downloads page.

This release is primarily for updater changes. It you want the details, a comprehensive list of patch notes is available here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html)

Please report any issues in the House of Healing forum.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
May 31st, 2017, 00:49
NOTE: If you have made purchases on Steam, the way to link your Steam content has changed. Please go to the FG Settings, click the Manage Steam Account link, and then sign in to FG and Steam to link your Steam products to your FG account. Also, you will need to enter your FG user name and password into the FG Settings using the user name Update button to get your content once it is linked.

Regards,
JPG

multibeaster79
May 31st, 2017, 01:19
Awesome, thank you. I assumed it had something to do with the fact I purchased through Steam. Seems to be d/l the modules now. Really appreciate the swift response too.

MacArone
May 31st, 2017, 02:15
NOTE: If you have made purchases on Steam, the way to link your Steam content has changed. Please go to the FG Settings, click the Manage Steam Account link, and then sign in to FG and Steam to link your Steam products to your FG account. Alll good,
Regards,
JPG

but I don't remember ever having a FG user name and password? Where is that? Also, you will need to enter your FG user name and password into the FG Settings using the user name Update button to get your content once it is linked.

LordEntrails
May 31st, 2017, 02:20
but I don't remember ever having a FG user name and password? Where is that? Also, you will need to enter your FG user name and password into the FG Settings using the user name Update button to get your content once it is linked.

Your FG username is "MacArone", just use the same username and password that you use for the forum.

joeblack1863
May 31st, 2017, 21:21
Still having a problem with the updater. Using Steam. Followed the above info and ran the updater.

It appears to be working as it did start updating packages. Unfortunately it has got to one package "GMGIZ20FG" and it has just stuck on "updating extensions/sw-interface-zero-green-theme.ext"

I have left it for over 30 mins, cancelled and restarted, but gets to that point and sits there about 2% complete.

Checked the purchased modules to see if any of the 5E ones are back, but none are there, probably hasn't got far enough on the updater.

Also, tied the updater outside Steam, no difference. Any help would be appreciated.

[It just moved to the next item on the package, but it is incredibly slow, hate to think how long it is going to take]

Is there any way to select only those modules you want to update and load? I did in steam by unticking ones I didn't need at the moment. With connecting to FG Store, it just gets the lot.

Moon Wizard
May 31st, 2017, 21:33
You can try going to your FG data directory, navigate to the vault folder, and delete the GMGIZ20FG.dat files and reupdating.

That DLC is quite large due to graphics, so it does take a while to update.

IAlso, try to update on a wired connection, or close to your wireless router.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
May 31st, 2017, 21:33
You can try going to your FG data directory, navigate to the vault folder, and delete the GMGIZ20FG.dat files and reupdating.

That DLC is quite large due to graphics, so it does take a while to update.

IAlso, try to update on a wired connection, or close to your wireless router.

Regards,
JPG

joeblack1863
May 31st, 2017, 21:38
Thanks Moon Wizard,

Understand, it has started to pick up speed (until tome of beasts.....) :D

joeblack1863
May 31st, 2017, 21:42
Yeah I am on a wired connection , good fast broadband = low patience?

SheckyS
June 3rd, 2017, 00:32
This sucks. I can't believe you guys did this to me AGAIN. I logged on an hour ahead of schedule to play my game with 5 other people and instead of playing, I spent the last hour uninstalling and re-installing and trying everything I can think of to get my modules back. Then I finally come to the forums and see this post and I tried this and it still doesn't work. I can't get it to update my D&D 5e files no matter what I do.

Why do you do this? What kind of business model is this? Are you deliberately trying to drive your customers to Roll20?

SheckyS
June 3rd, 2017, 00:34
What am I supposed to do now? I guess I have to cancel my game for tonight. Thanks a lot, FantasyGrounds. :(

SheckyS
June 3rd, 2017, 00:51
NOTE: If you have made purchases on Steam, the way to link your Steam content has changed. Please go to the FG Settings, click the Manage Steam Account link, and then sign in to FG and Steam to link your Steam products to your FG account. Also, you will need to enter your FG user name and password into the FG Settings using the user name Update button to get your content once it is linked.

Regards,
JPG

Okay... finally figured it out. For anyone else out there having trouble, you have to do BOTH things.

1) Click the Manage Steam Account link, and then sign in to FG and Steam to link your Steam products to your FG account.
2) Enter your FG user name and password into the FG Settings using the user name Update button to get your content once it is linked.

That's what Moonwizard said, but it wasn't obvious if you just skimmed the text.
Also, After the initial update, it said there are still more updates available, but those just keep timing out on me, so I gave up.

LordEntrails
June 3rd, 2017, 01:29
This sucks. I can't believe you guys did this to me AGAIN. I logged on an hour ahead of schedule to play my game with 5 other people and instead of playing, I spent the last hour uninstalling and re-installing and trying everything I can think of to get my modules back. Then I finally come to the forums and see this post and I tried this and it still doesn't work. I can't get it to update my D&D 5e files no matter what I do.

Why do you do this? What kind of business model is this? Are you deliberately trying to drive your customers to Roll20?
A suggestion, and this goes for any software, not just FG, but don't ever update software right before you need to use it. Update it after your done with your session, or when you are doing some prep or otherwise are not about to "go live".

Andraax
June 3rd, 2017, 01:33

If I see an update that close to my game time, I go ahead and play with what I have installed and update *after* the game. I usually check for updates the day before a game, however.

SheckyS
June 3rd, 2017, 13:26
A suggestion, and this goes for any software, not just FG, but don't ever update software right before you need to use it. Update it after your done with your session, or when you are doing some prep or otherwise are not about to "go live".

I get what you are saying. And maybe you are right, but that's really not a viable suggestion for FG. I have 5 other players connecting to me when I play. So any one of them may have updated their FG at any time in between games. So it's pretty important that I have the latest update otherwise, my FG might be out of synch with my players.

Here's a better idea:
Don't push updates to your users that will cause problems and confusion without first informing your users very clearly about exactly how to solve the problems that you KNOW they are going to have. I spent an hour in a panic uninstalling, reinstalling, and banging my head on my desk trying to figure out what was broken on my machine before I realized that nothing was broken on my machine and that it was FG that was, in fact, broken.

If you were deliberately trying to drive your customers insane, you would have a hard time coming up with a better way than to put out updates like this one. In this age of networked software, this is amateur crap.

Zacchaeus
June 3rd, 2017, 13:46
Unless the update was a completely new version (in other words if the update went from 3.3.x to 3.4.x) then players can log in and play even if they have a different version to the DM or vise versa. That is if the DM has version 3.3.0 and the players have 3.3.1 then they can connect.

I suppose it depends on how often you browse the forums but usually all major updates, along with patch notes, are featured in forum posts from the developers. In this case Moon Wizard provided a clear instruction along with his post. If of course you don't browse the forums then you won't see the instruction and so the information would not get through anyway.

Having said all that I can appreciate your frustration.

SheckyS
June 3rd, 2017, 14:24
Unless the update was a completely new version (in other words if the update went from 3.3.x to 3.4.x) then players can log in and play even if they have a different version to the DM or vise versa. That is if the DM has version 3.3.0 and the players have 3.3.1 then they can connect.

I suppose it depends on how often you browse the forums but usually all major updates, along with patch notes, are featured in forum posts from the developers. In this case Moon Wizard provided a clear instruction along with his post. If of course you don't browse the forums then you won't see the instruction and so the information would not get through anyway.

Having said all that I can appreciate your frustration.

No one checks the forums or reads the patch notes every time there's an update.
It would have been appropriate in this case to show a large warning screen after the update telling people what problems they might expect to have and how to solve them. Rather than simply letting people update, log in, and find all of their purchased content is just gone with no explanation.

Andraax
June 3rd, 2017, 14:46
No one checks the forums or reads the patch notes every time there's an update.

I do.

dulux-oz
June 3rd, 2017, 14:55
I do.

As do I - when I'm not Ninja'd by Andraaz :ninja: :p

Callum
June 3rd, 2017, 15:14
I do, too. I also don't update just before I play. Finally, I talk to my players, arranging when we all update. These are all good procedures that I recommend.

Matchstickman
June 3rd, 2017, 16:15
For anyone like me that uses a password generator, the page Fantasy Grounds links to Steam is via steamCOMMUNITY.com, not your regular login of steamPOWERED.com. You need to get the password for steamPOWERED.com and enter it into the field on the page Fantasy Grounds links to.

Ugh.

LordEntrails
June 3rd, 2017, 17:27
I get what you are saying. And maybe you are right, but that's really not a viable suggestion for FG. I have 5 other players connecting to me when I play. So any one of them may have updated their FG at any time in between games. So it's pretty important that I have the latest update otherwise, my FG might be out of synch with my players.

Here's a better idea:
Don't push updates to your users that will cause problems and confusion without first informing your users very clearly about exactly how to solve the problems that you KNOW they are going to have. I spent an hour in a panic uninstalling, reinstalling, and banging my head on my desk trying to figure out what was broken on my machine before I realized that nothing was broken on my machine and that it was FG that was, in fact, broken.

If you were deliberately trying to drive your customers insane, you would have a hard time coming up with a better way than to put out updates like this one. In this age of networked software, this is amateur crap.
I think others have answered most of this for me. All I will add is that SW makes every release available to every user prior to live release through the beta channel. So anyone who wishes to can test (and provide feedback) to SW prior to a release going live.

One of the things that we (all of the users) have to understand is that every software company has to make a choice; they have to balance enhancement versus the risk of issues. The faster you innovate and enhance, the higher the risk of issues (bugs) appearing. But the only way to completely eliminate the risk of issues happening is to completely stop innovating or enhancing your software.

Andraax
June 3rd, 2017, 17:40
For anyone like me that uses a password generator, the page Fantasy Grounds links to Steam is via steamCOMMUNITY.com, not your regular login of steamPOWERED.com. You need to get the password for steamPOWERED.com and enter it into the field on the page Fantasy Grounds links to.

Ugh.

If you use LastPass, you can link the two sites within LastPass so they update at the same time.

Wolfheart
June 3rd, 2017, 17:51
FG should update automatically instead of manually, but I guess there's a good reason it doesn't.

Bidmaron
June 3rd, 2017, 19:46
This and several other threads have ample evidence why automatic updates are a very bad idea.

Illrigger
June 3rd, 2017, 20:29

Here's a better idea:

I know you're upset right now, but you really aren't making a lot of sense logically. They have to push their updates SOMETIME. No matter when they do it, it's going to be right before someone's game, since FG has a true global community with games running pretty much all the time somewhere. It's not really an option for the devs to try and please everyone, every time.

In the end, we all have to take some responsibility for the software we use and think ahead about when to apply updates. That includes dealing with the updates that come out in a logical fashion (like looking up patch notes before you apply them, or at least looking after you apply them to see if they might be the issue before you spend an hour troubleshooting dead ends) and making sure the users that are connecting to you are all on the same page when it comes to applying updates. Windows updates often do the same kinds of issue that you're talking about here, as do things like Adobe and even Apple products. It's not the FG team living in a vacuum as you suggest, it's just the way that updates work sometimes.

Nyghtmare
June 4th, 2017, 18:52
I know you're upset right now, but you really aren't making a lot of sense logically. They have to push their updates SOMETIME. No matter when they do it, it's going to be right before someone's game, since FG has a true global community with games running pretty much all the time somewhere. It's not really an option for the devs to try and please everyone, every time.

In the end, we all have to take some responsibility for the software we use and think ahead about when to apply updates. That includes dealing with the updates that come out in a logical fashion (like looking up patch notes before you apply them, or at least looking after you apply them to see if they might be the issue before you spend an hour troubleshooting dead ends) and making sure the users that are connecting to you are all on the same page when it comes to applying updates. Windows updates often do the same kinds of issue that you're talking about here, as do things like Adobe and even Apple products. It's not the FG team living in a vacuum as you suggest, it's just the way that updates work sometimes.
^ This. ^

It is truly not a big deal to even bring up FG on a semi daily basis, especially around the time that you run your games, and deal with any updates. I have never had an update take an hour, so I am not sure what it is that you are even doing there — even a fresh re-install on a brand new computer took considerably less time than that.

Nyghtmare
June 4th, 2017, 18:53
<< double post >>