PDA

View Full Version : [LFG] 4-5 Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords Friday Weekly LONG TERM Newbies Welcome

wthrasherb
May 30th, 2017, 20:37
UPDATE:

The preliminary group for this game has been selected and the application process is now officially closed. Thank you to everyone who expressed interest in playing. I appreciate those of you who took the time to answer my questionarrie. If you did not already receive a private message from me indicating you are in the group, you were not picked. Good luck and good gaming!

Thanks folks!

PLEASE READ ENTIRE POST AND FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS

The Basics:

FG License: Ultimate (players only need Demo)
Game System: Pathfinder/3.5 d20

Time Zone: Mountain Standard or Daylight Time (GMT -7 or -6)... currently MDT/GMT -6
Day of week and time: Fridays 5 - 10 PM (flexible within a couple of hours depending on needs of the group)
If new game, planned start date: July 7, 2017 (as of right now)
Planned Duration & Frequency: 4-5 hours of play time, weekly (as schedules allow)
Term: Long Term (1+ years... if we are lucky)

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: Discord; headphones and mic with the ability to mute yourself REQUIRED.

Roleplay & Combat mix: balanced mixed
Number of Players in game & needed: need 4-5 players
Character starting level & equipment: Level 1 as per standard Pathfinder rules
Character restrictions: TBD (not all Pathfinder compatible material will be allowed due to the infinite number of options)

Greetings Community! I am a humble gamemaster on yet another quest to find a band of intrpid adventurers to join me in performing heroic deeds in the form of impromptu fiction!

In this marvelous digital age we have such great power but take little responsibility. It is easy to join a game and just blow off a random stranger whenever you feel like it. I hate that about online gaming. So I am in search of DEDICATED players that can take on the committment of a long term game. Only those that can seriously commit should apply.

Attached to the bottom of this post is a calendar that has all the proposed game dates for about a year and a half. I don't expect everyone to be psychic and know what they are going to be doing everyday for the next 1+ years. I have just laid out this calendar so you can look ahead and get a reasonable idea of the days we would be playing and where they might fall into your personal schedule. Game days are highlighted in yellow. Major U.S. holidays are listed at the bottom.

I am not in a hurry to get this game started. I am taking my time with prepping the adventure and with player selection. One of the "tests" for you as a potential player in this game is your ability to follow instructions, which in turn will show me your initial dedication to putting some time into this game. It is one way I weed out players when choosing a group. So please read this entire post and follow all instructions. Failure to follow instructions properly will disqualify you from being picked for the group.

Please answer the following questions in a reply to this post:

1) Have you ever played Pathfinder before?
2) How long have you been playing RPGs in general?
3) What is your favorite type of character to play?
4) What do you like most about playing a role-playing game?
5) Do you have a regular, typically predictable schedule?
6) As far as you know, will your general schedule over the next year allow you to play most Fridays?
7) Do you travel for work?
8) Do you have other personal obligations (no need to disclose details) that would interfere with a Friday game?
9) What is the EARLIEST time you could start a session on Fridays?
10) What is the LATEST time you could end a session on Fridays?
11) Do you have any experience with Fantasy Grounds?
12) Do you find yourself arguing with GMs about rules in other games?
13) What is more important to YOU in a game: following the rules to a "T" or having the most fun possible(without cheating)?
14) Do you have a problem with the GM making rules decisions "on the fly" (while being fair) instead of wasting time searching for every tiny rule?
15) Are there any Pathfinder-compatible rules out there you would like to try in the game?
16) What is your favorite color?
17) Do you prefer dogs or cats?
18) What does "Alignment" mean to you in the game?
19) Do you like to play "heroes" or "evil characters?"
20) Do you get mad when your character dies?
21) Do you have a problem with "coarse" or "adult" language "at the table?" (not being rude to players, just a foul mouth)
22) Do you have a problem paying attention during online games? (browsing Facebook, chatting with others not in the game, etc)
23) Using the calendar attached to the bottom of this post, do you forsee any future scheduling conflicts at a glance?
24) Do you get intoxicated (in real life) while playing?
25) Do you consider yourself an out going role-player or the quiet person that likes to roll dice?
26) Are you fully dedicated to this game or do you have many other games going?
27) Do you mind using email in between sessions as the primary form of group communication?
28) Have you ever used Discord?
29) Are you a smoker or do you have any other habit that would cause you to take frequent breaks from the "table?"
30) What other (if any) adventure paths have you played? What did you like most? What did you dislike most?
31) Based on your past experiences, what is one piece of advice (in gerneral and from a player's perspective) you might give a Gamemaster?

Once you have answered all of those questions send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE with the following information:

Subject: Rise of the Runelords

Include in the message:
1)Your real or preferred name (in real life) so I know what to call you.
2) What kind of character do you like to play most?
3) Why should I pick you over the "next" guy/gal?
4) What is your BEST time to play on Fridays?

After you have sent your private message, go here (https://paizo.com/products/btpy8bd9?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Rise-of-the-Runelords-Players-Guide) and here (https://paizo.com/products/btpy8tgl?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Rise-of-the-Runelords-Anniversary-Edition-Players-Guide).

Those links will take you to the Paizo site to download BOTH players guides. We are playing the Anniversary edition, but the original players guide has some good info that the new one does not. Read over those guides before making any decisions about characters. Do not make any characters ahead of time. We will conduct a "Session 0" on July 7th for character creation and introductions. Not all compatible Pathfinder rules will be allowed due to the overwhelming number of options. Please feel free to make suggestions for rules to be included, but no promises beyond the core rules and Advanced Players guide. Even then some of the Advanced players guide rules may be limited.

Player applications will be considered in the order they are recieved in this thread. Those who do not follow instructions completely will not be considered. Again, this is nothing personal, but just a way to weed out those that don't want to put time into the game.

I will notify those that make the cut by June 23rd. If you have not heard from me via private message by June 23rd you did not get picked.

That's all I've got for now folks! I will update this main post with new information if anything develops/changes.

I hope to hear from you soon! Thanks!

https://pathfinder-rpg.wdfiles.com/local--files/campaign:rise-of-the-runelords/RotRL-Logo.jpg

Sephiir
May 30th, 2017, 21:04
To whom it may concern,

Please note that all my answers below are as succinct as possible out of respect of you asking for very specific answers. If you would prefer I would be happy to expound on any of them.

1) Have you ever played Pathfinder before? Yes, I've been playing for about two years now.
2) How long have you been playing RPGs in general? I've been playing or GMing for about 24 years, 30 now.
3) What is your favorite type of character to play? I prefer melee characters who specialize in a few out of combat skills to benefit the whole party.
4) What do you like most about playing a role-playing game? The feeling you get when you accomplish something impossible.
5) Do you have a regular, typically predictable schedule? My field of work, Accounting, is a regular, typically predictable schedule.
6) As far as you know, will your general schedule over the next year allow you to play most Fridays? Yes, I believe so.
7) Do you travel for work? No, I do not.
8) Do you have other personal obligations (no need to disclose details) that would interfere with a Friday game? I have a daughter (she is two) but it would be relatively easy to orchestrate child care.
9) What is the EARLIEST time you could start a session on Fridays? 4 PM PST
10) What is the LATEST time you could end a session on Fridays? 5 AM
11) Do you have any experience with Fantasy Grounds? Limited, but willing to learn
12) Do you find yourself arguing with GMs about rules in other games? No, if a question arises I will ask a question, but DMs table ruling takes precedence over Rules as Written.
13) What is more important to YOU in a game: following the rules to a "T" or having the most fun possible(without cheating)? I like to have as much fun as possible within a rules structure. The rules are flexible which is fine, but my hope is that the rules apply to both PCs and NPCs equally.
14) Do you have a problem with the GM making rules decisions "on the fly" (while being fair) instead of wasting time searching for every tiny rule? DM decisions on the fly are perfectly fine, but if possible the question could be brought up via email at a later time with an "official" ruling for future sessions.
15) Are there any Pathfinder-compatible rules out there you would like to try in the game? I am open to a lot of options, but can also fit into Core if needed. The numbers on the sheet are less important than the concept of your character.
16) What is your favorite color? Blue
17) Do you prefer dogs or cats? Dogs
18) What does "Alignment" mean to you in the game? It is a guiding structure to assist in making decisions, but it is by no means an end all be all. In life hard decisions must be made and a character may be forced to make a decision against his/her standard alignment if necessary.
19) Do you like to play "heroes" or "evil characters?" Hero
20) Do you get mad when your character dies? Less mad and more a little sad to see the work put in lost, if possible I will try to have the character brought back. If not then I can roll up a new character.
21) Do you have a problem with "coarse" or "adult" language "at the table?" (not being rude to players, just a foul mouth) So long as people aren't being rude to each other and it isn't every sentence I don't mind.
22) Do you have a problem paying attention during online games? (browsing Facebook, chatting with others not in the game, etc) No, I try to pay as much attention as possible, but sometimes real life does come up where I may have to step away briefly.
23) Using the calendar attached to the bottom of this post, do you forsee any future scheduling conflicts at a glance? I do not.
24) Do you get intoxicated (in real life) while playing? I don't drink, but I don't mind if others do.
25) Do you consider yourself an out going role-player or the quiet person that likes to roll dice? I can be both at times, when it is my turn to shine I like to be that role-player, but when someone else takes center stage I like to chill in the background being supportive.
26) Are you fully dedicated to this game or do you have many other games going? I do have other games at the moment, but the time scheduled would certainly be for this game.
27) Do you mind using email in between sessions as the primary form of group communication? It is preferred.
28) Have you ever used Discord? Limited, I just started using it a week ago.
29) Are you a smoker or do you have any other habit that would cause you to take frequent breaks from the "table?" I do not smoke, I do have a two year old daughter though that might require my attention on occasion.
30) What other (if any) adventure paths have you played? What did you like most? What did you dislike most? I've played a lot of them over the years, I think APs are an excellent map for the players but I appreciate when a DM can be flexible if the players want to deviate for a while.
31) Based on your past experiences, what is one piece of advice (in general and from a player's perspective) you might give a Gamemaster? GMs are supposed to have fun too, don't sacrifice your own enjoyment for everyone else.

Ebonbrow
May 30th, 2017, 22:51
1) Have you ever played Pathfinder before? A few times, 3.5 several years.
2) How long have you been playing RPGs in general? 35 years
3) What is your favorite type of character to play? Ranger, Paladin, Wizard (in that order)
4) What do you like most about playing a role-playing game? Gaming with others
5) Do you have a regular, typically predictable schedule? Yes
6) As far as you know, will your general schedule over the next year allow you to play most Fridays? Yes
7) Do you travel for work? No
8) Do you have other personal obligations (no need to disclose details) that would interfere with a Friday game? No
9) What is the EARLIEST time you could start a session on Fridays? 4PM
10) What is the LATEST time you could end a session on Fridays? Until finished
11) Do you have any experience with Fantasy Grounds? None, needing to learn
12) Do you find yourself arguing with GMs about rules in other games? Each DM has their own way of doing things, you must adapt
13) What is more important to YOU in a game: following the rules to a "T" or having the most fun possible (without cheating)? Rules are a guide, not law, have fun and enjoy the escape.
14) Do you have a problem with the GM making rules decisions "on the fly" (while being fair) instead of wasting time searching for every tiny rule? Yes
15) Are there any Pathfinder-compatible rules out there you would like to try in the game? Do not know all the resources, which I think is better in most cases.
16) What is your favorite color? LOL, Blue is fine, no favorites
17) Do you prefer dogs or cats? Cats make a good meal
18) What does "Alignment" mean to you in the game? A guide of how you should act/respond, most of the time
19) Do you like to play "heroes" or "evil characters?" Either
20) Do you get mad when your character dies? Just means I get to try something different
21) Do you have a problem with "coarse" or "adult" language "at the table?" (not being rude to players, just a foul mouth) LOL, no (ex-military)
22) Do you have a problem paying attention during online games? (browsing Facebook, chatting with others not in the game, etc) I listen to the game
23) Using the calendar attached to the bottom of this post, do you for-see any future scheduling conflicts at a glance? No
24) Do you get intoxicated (in real life) while playing? No
25) Do you consider yourself an out going role-player or the quiet person that likes to roll dice? Quiet until I get to know whom I am gaming with
26) Are you fully dedicated to this game or do you have many other games going? Playing no other games at the moment, just ended a 3 year 3.5 game (as DM)
27) Do you mind using email in between sessions as the primary form of group communication? That is preferred
28) Have you ever used Discord? No
29) Are you a smoker or do you have any other habit that would cause you to take frequent breaks from the "table?" No
30) What other (if any) adventure paths have you played? What did you like most? What did you dislike most? None in PF
31) Based on your past experiences, what is one piece of advice (in general and from a player's perspective) you might give a Gamemaster? Run the game in relation to how the players interact and play. Sometimes the players may have a different idea on where they are going and how to get there. Keep it flowing and challenging but always enjoy the ride.

ronerob
May 31st, 2017, 00:46
1) Have you ever played Pathfinder before? Yes.
2) How long have you been playing RPGs in general? I have been playing for over 30 years. First time playing was 1984
3) What is your favorite type of character to play? Clerics and sometimes Rangers.
4) What do you like most about playing a role-playing game? Exploring the worlds.
5) Do you have a regular, typically predictable schedule? Mostly. Fridays are pretty clear unless something big comes up.
6) As far as you know, will your general schedule over the next year allow you to play most Fridays? Yes.
7) Do you travel for work? I do travel some. It's not a scheduled thing only when a ship is broke.
8) Do you have other personal obligations (no need to disclose details) that would interfere with a Friday game? No.
9) What is the EARLIEST time you could start a session on Fridays? 4pm Pacific time
10) What is the LATEST time you could end a session on Fridays? no limit.
11) Do you have any experience with Fantasy Grounds? Some.
12) Do you find yourself arguing with GMs about rules in other games? No.
13) What is more important to YOU in a game: following the rules to a "T" or having the most fun possible(without cheating)? Fun.
14) Do you have a problem with the GM making rules decisions "on the fly" (while being fair) instead of wasting time searching for every tiny rule? No, preferred.
15) Are there any Pathfinder-compatible rules out there you would like to try in the game? Base stuff is fine by me.
17) Do you prefer dogs or cats? Cats
18) What does "Alignment" mean to you in the game? Just a guide line for behavior.
19) Do you like to play "heroes" or "evil characters?" Heroes only
20) Do you get mad when your character dies? No.
21) Do you have a problem with "coarse" or "adult" language "at the table?" (not being rude to players, just a foul mouth). No
22) Do you have a problem paying attention during online games? (browsing Facebook, chatting with others not in the game, etc). No
23) Using the calendar attached to the bottom of this post, do you forsee any future scheduling conflicts at a glance?. No
24) Do you get intoxicated (in real life) while playing? No
25) Do you consider yourself an out going role-player or the quiet person that likes to roll dice? Right in the middle.
26) Are you fully dedicated to this game or do you have many other games going? Not many others. I play a Saturday Night game and a real life weekend game group.
27) Do you mind using email in between sessions as the primary form of group communication? Not at all
28) Have you ever used Discord? I have it, but I have not used it.
29) Are you a smoker or do you have any other habit that would cause you to take frequent breaks from the "table?". No
30) What other (if any) adventure paths have you played? What did you like most? What did you dislike most? I own most of them after second darkness, I read them for entertainment. I have only ran Iron gods. I like the story arcs.
31) Based on your past experiences, what is one piece of advice (in gerneral and from a player's perspective) you might give a Gamemaster? Sometimes your best laid out encounter doesn't flow like you think it will. don't take it personally. You learn more about the party tactics each fight and build from there.

novluis
May 31st, 2017, 06:16

No, but have been wanting to learn for a while. Have been reading through the core rulebook (Brother in law plays face to face but they're smack dab in the center of a campaign.)

On and off for 13 years

I just recently really enjoyed playing a trident wielding fighter more than anything I've played in the past. So I would say a serious
Fighter with a hard past concreting his code of
Honor.

I would say the most outstanding thing is every adventure is new and alive allowing you to play out a scenario or personiality in such a manner that you can only imagine. Makes it really kind of in a way, you.

Yes, mon ~ fri work mon ~Thur night classes

6) As far as you know, will your general schedule over the next year allow you to play most Fridays?

Yes, my school/ work schedule is set in stone for the next year.

No

8) Do you have other personal obligations (no need to disclose details) that would interfere with a Friday game?

Not past 7pm MST (just to be safe from work in case a day runs a bit long)

6 pm, gives me a bit of a buffer usually done before 4 pm but some days run late

Whenever (last dnd game started at 1 am MST)

Yes, have been actively playing in games the last several months.

No, GM's word is law.

13) What is more important to YOU in a game: following the rules to a "T" or having the most fun possible(without cheating)?

Having the most fun, rules are important as well but house rules exist for a reason, given that everyone likes to run/interpret their games differently.

14) Do you have a problem with the GM making rules decisions "on the fly" (while being fair) instead of wasting time searching for every tiny rule?

No, Same as above, ruling is law until GM has time to double check

15) Are there any Pathfinder-compatible rules out there you would like to try in the game?

I've skimmed over the core rule book, and pretty much own most 5e books but at the moment I can't say I remember pathfinder much. Will be researching when through with this.

Royal blue

Bigger dogs (Looking to get a bigger dog around the size of an Alaskan malamute.)

I believe it's a guideline for the way that your PC should react to certain situations, isn't a concrete directive. Pretty much the foundation that your entire PC is built on (Values, Traits, Morals) but reaction can change if the reasoning is big enough.

A Great Hero able to make life's hard choices with several silly quirks (Last fighter cleaned his weapons after every fight),

No, Can't say I wouldn't be the slightest upset due to the bond i form with it but if I did something idiotic like rush a group of 40 orcs alone I expect to be punished.
nonetheless it is a learning experience and gives me a chance to try my hand at something new.

21) Do you have a problem with "coarse" or "adult" language "at the table?" (not being rude to players, just a foul mouth)

Absolutely not.

22) Do you have a problem paying attention during online games? (browsing Facebook, chatting with others not in the game, etc)

Nope RPGing is one of my few hobbies so I like to dedicate myself fully to it.

23) Using the calendar attached to the bottom of this post, do you forsee any future scheduling conflicts at a glance?

(EDIT) Realized it wasn't highlighting due to me checking the calendar on my phone. I can say at this moment i do not see any scheduling conflicts.
The calendar wasn't highlighted for me but as long it's on the time frame stated above (friday nights) we are good to go!

No.

25) Do you consider yourself an out going role-player or the quiet person that likes to roll dice?

I would say I'm in between, beginning to come out of my shell when it comes to RPing as I try to encourage it so everyone can get their place in the spotlight, and really enjoy the world being built for us, I would like to continue building on this.

Fully dedicated, I try to keep the games i play in to a single one. My last game on fantasy grounds ended due to some life changes for our DM (work schedule)

27) Do you mind using email in between sessions as the primary form of group communication?

Not at all.

Yes, have used it in my last two games. (Have it on my cell)

29) Are you a smoker or do you have any other habit that would cause you to take frequent breaks from the "table?"

No

30) What other (if any) adventure paths have you played? What did you like most? What did you dislike most?

None on pathfinder, but have played LMOP on 5e and storm kings thunder. Enjoyed the hell out of storm kings LMOP wasn't great for me. We had several people leave the game towards the end so that didn't help. But I also didn't like the feel of the fights in that game (weren't interactive enough).

31) Based on your past experiences, what is one piece of advice (in general and from a player's perspective) you might give a Gamemaster?

More use of the environment, Make it a living breathing thing this really helps with immersion and I feel like it brings a whole new level of challenge, for example when your fighting a horde of orcs and it's pouring rain and visibility is poor.

Will be sending pm shortly

wthrasherb
May 31st, 2017, 18:08
Responses are looking good folks! Keep'em coming!

Ohdrakorian
May 31st, 2017, 18:25
I would cut off my own arm and beat a Bard to death with it to be in this group. But its on the one day a week I'm busy. Hope you guys/girls have fun *kills a Bard anyway*

hastedragon
June 1st, 2017, 03:24
1) Have you ever played Pathfinder before? yes
2) How long have you been playing RPGs in general? about 10 years
3) What is your favorite type of character to play? sorcerer, cleric, monk in this order
4) What do you like most about playing a role-playing game? playing with others
5) Do you have a regular, typically predictable schedule? yes and no depends on how big of a load i have that friday mainly off at 5-6 mst
6) As far as you know, will your general schedule over the next year allow you to play most Fridays? yes other then 6-8 weeks around christmas
7) Do you travel for work? yes and no when working i travel but home every night
8) Do you have other personal obligations (no need to disclose details) that would interfere with a Friday game? no
9) What is the EARLIEST time you could start a session on Fridays? 6 mst being on the safe side
10) What is the LATEST time you could end a session on Fridays? only tell end or friday?? can go tell sunday morning
11) Do you have any experience with Fantasy Grounds? yes
12) Do you find yourself arguing with GMs about rules in other games? no
13) What is more important to YOU in a game: following the rules to a "T" or having the most fun possible(without cheating)? no need for a T unless gm/ group needs a defined line
14) Do you have a problem with the GM making rules decisions "on the fly" (while being fair) instead of wasting time searching for every tiny rule?no just please look in to it more when you have time.
15) Are there any Pathfinder-compatible rules out there you would like to try in the game? yes but im still learning pathfinders
16) What is your favorite color? purple
17) Do you prefer dogs or cats? both are ok but i like birds better
18) What does "Alignment" mean to you in the game? Just a guide line for behavior
19) Do you like to play "heroes" or "evil characters?" neutral when possible
20) Do you get mad when your character dies? no they all come and go so fast whats the point in crying over them?
21) Do you have a problem with "coarse" or "adult" language "at the table?" (not being rude to players, just a foul mouth)no
22) Do you have a problem paying attention during online games? (browsing Facebook, chatting with others not in the game, etc)no
23) Using the calendar attached to the bottom of this post, do you foresee any future scheduling conflicts at a glance? yes weeks of Oct 27 to Dec 22 at this time my job is a lot harder do to Christmas rush.
24) Do you get intoxicated (in real life) while playing? no
25) Do you consider yourself an out going role-player or the quiet person that likes to roll dice? im quite at first tell i get in to it then im a outing role-player
26) Are you fully dedicated to this game or do you have many other games going? i have 1 other pathfinder game going on but there is no chance of a over laps
27) Do you mind using email in between sessions as the primary form of group communication? no
28) Have you ever used Discord? yes
29) Are you a smoker or do you have any other habit that would cause you to take frequent breaks from the "table?" im a smoker but mostly can last 2 hrs or more when needed
30) What other (if any) adventure paths have you played? What did you like most? What did you dislike most? i've mainly played home brews up tell my other group so i couldnt real tell if i like them or not
31) Based on your past experiences, what is one piece of advice (in gerneral and from a player's perspective) you might give a Gamemaster?
dont set anything in stone other then what is written in the book for someone will find a way to out rule the gm ( not me )

wthrasherb
June 1st, 2017, 06:06
I would cut off my own arm and beat a Bard to death with it to be in this group. But its on the one day a week I'm busy. Hope you guys/girls have fun *kills a Bard anyway*

LOL! Watch out Bards!!!

Plutwo
June 1st, 2017, 19:15

Yes for a few years.

Over two decades.

Any, I enjoy a very tactical four hour combat as much as I love a four hours of role playing a high society gala.

The stories from a pen and paper rpg table are stories no other type of game could hope to reproduce.

I have a consistent schedule.

Yes.

No.

No.

5pm EST.

Midnight.

Yes.

Never.

Having fun without making the players feel cheated.

No.

None come to mind.

Blue

Dogs.

Alignment to me is a result of a character's beliefs. A player should play their character based on what their character would do, which in turn is based on what their character believes in. The character's alignment is then a result of what the character does as they act on their beliefs. Alignment should never dictate what a character will and will not do.

They are both fun. Most evil characters do what they do because they think it is the best way to achieve their goals. Those goals are usually something that is a mostly good idea, but are being brought about in a facist way.

20) Do you get mad when your character dies? Every single time, for about thirty minutes. I put a lot of work into my characters, their backgrounds, their ambitions in the game world. I get attached, so I get angry when they die, then about thirty minutes later I'll be rifling through my list of what character concept to play next.

Nope.

Nope.

Again, nope.

Nope.

Outgoing while being mindful to not hog the spotlight and being respectful that there will probably be players at the table who can't have fun unless they get to hit stuff.

I am looking for a single long term game. Currently I have a few irons in the fire but ultimately there can be only one.

I like it.

Frequently. It is installed on my phone.

Nope.

Between games I run and games I play in I've never played in a game that ran a vanilla module. Either it was completely original content or the module was heavily modified. I enjoy games where the DM and the players come together to tell a story. There should very rarely be a situation where the DM 100% knows what the outcome will be.

Let your players help you tell the story, you will be surprised where the journey takes you.

War Pig
June 3rd, 2017, 06:36
Yep yep

Let's call it shy of 3 decades, on and off

Love love love those arcane casters

The story and the camaraderie formed during that story

Pretty regular, yeah

As far as I know, yep, I believe I can regularly put aside time on Fridays, barring holidays and what not

Not at all

None at the moment, doubt any will pop up

7 eastern, so 5 mountain

Midnight eastern (10 mountain) is a good time for me

Some experience, yeah. Anytime I have to look up something, Google helps, if not fellow players

Nope. I'm pretty easy

As long as everyone's having fun I couldn't care less about the rules being bent

I'd rather someone who makes snap decisions based on experience or brief discussion rather than digging through 3 books for half an hour

Not particularly, no, can't think of anything off the top of my head

Definitely blue

My dogs would be devastated if I lied and said cats (not really, they don't listen to me unless they're hungry), so I guess I'm committed to dogs

Framework for how someone would act in certain situations, but not a cage

I enjoy playing both, actually! It all depends on the story

Only if it happens a lot, and I feel that it wasn't due to my silliness, which is the cause more often than not

As the one with the coarse mouth, I'd say no

Nope, the game pretty much has my entire attention

23) Using the calendar attached to the bottom of this post, do you foresee any future scheduling conflicts at a glance?
Not at a glance, no

Sometimes I might have a few, but intoxicated is a strong word, so no?

Somewhere in between the two extremes

I'd be fully dedicated to the game

Email's fine, yeah

Yep

Nope

Started Wrath of the Righteous and Skull & Shackles, but never got past the first book. Was in a Carrion Crown game that got pretty far(ish). Not sure which book we were in. So I really only have experience with one. So the one I like the most was Carrion Crown. The one I disliked most was Carrion Crown.

31) Based on your past experiences, what is one piece of advice (in general and from a player's perspective) you might give a Gamemaster?
Have fun with it. Nobody's having fun if the GM or a player is upset or stressing on something in game.

Staryuche
June 5th, 2017, 03:28
Greetings Goblin Master.... I mean Game Master...

1) Have you ever played Pathfinder before? Indeed. Since it's inception on and off depending on availability of groups/play (I used to be in the military).
2) How long have you been playing RPGs in general? I started playing some.... *muffled 25*... years ago, with good ole AD&D running games for my brother and our friends.
3) What is your favorite type of character to play? Me getting to play in the past was a rarity as I usually GM'd. I really don't have a "favorite" type of character to play as I can see myself playing any that isn't just a combat machine with no skill in anything else. Lately I've been eyeing the more support and skill based classes such as the ranger, bard, and unchained rogue, which fixes a few issues of the original vision of the class.
4) What do you like most about playing a role-playing game? Being someone and doing something that matters. In the grand scheme of things we rarely get the chance in real life.
5) Do you have a regular, typically predictable schedule? Fairly... twice a year I have to do extreme hours at work for a week or so, but I have months notice on it. And if something really emergency happened I could get called in. But in the almost 3 years I've had this particular job, I have only ever been called in without warning once maybe.
6) As far as you know, will your general schedule over the next year allow you to play most Fridays? Yes as long as it is after around 5ish when I get home.
7) Do you travel for work? On the super rare occasion, but I also have months notice.
8) Do you have other personal obligations (no need to disclose details) that would interfere with a Friday game? I would forgo any Friday night plans if I got in this game, so no.
9) What is the EARLIEST time you could start a session on Fridays? 5pmish EST, I usually get home around 4:30pm (traffic willing).
10) What is the LATEST time you could end a session on Fridays? the next day sometime?
11) Do you have any experience with Fantasy Grounds? Some, I did buy an Ultimate license sometime back, and got the newest Pathfinder stuff recently, but I've played about 2 or 3 games total on it.
12) Do you find yourself arguing with GMs about rules in other games? No, its their game, why would I?
13) What is more important to YOU in a game: following the rules to a "T" or having the most fun possible(without cheating)? Telling the cooperative story..., so I'd say fun over rules.
14) Do you have a problem with the GM making rules decisions "on the fly" (while being fair) instead of wasting time searching for every tiny rule? No issue, this is expected.
15) Are there any Pathfinder-compatible rules out there you would like to try in the game? I usually shy away from out of Paizo stuff... and even half of the Paizo stuff for that matter, the point of the game isn't to make the most numbers massive, unkillable person you can... its to have fun cooperatively telling an engaging story.
16) What is your favorite color? Orange *hopes he doesn't get thrown from the bridge*
17) Do you prefer dogs or cats? While I have one of each, and love my dog, I'm probably more of a cat person.
18) What does "Alignment" mean to you in the game? A loose categorization of a characters basic belief system, and not a hard rule to force the player into certain actions. Though repeated and purposeful actions opposite of ones alignment might cause one to change alignment.
19) Do you like to play "heroes" or "evil characters?" Heroes... it's much harder to be a Hero in real life... a villain is easy.
20) Do you get mad when your character dies? No... closure is good for a story, even the characters individual story.
21) Do you have a problem with "coarse" or "adult" language "at the table?" (not being rude to players, just a foul mouth) I spend 6 years as a medic in the military, I would think not.
22) Do you have a problem paying attention during online games? (browsing Facebook, chatting with others not in the game, etc) It would have to be the most boring and aweful game I'd ever played to not keep my attention.
23) Using the calendar attached to the bottom of this post, do you forsee any future scheduling conflicts at a glance? August 17th is GenCON, and I will be there, and next year I will be at GenCON and Origins the weekends when those dates are revealed.
24) Do you get intoxicated (in real life) while playing? I've been known to have "A" drink, but its been ages since I've been impaired by it... much less what I would consider intoxicated.
25) Do you consider yourself an out going role-player or the quiet person that likes to roll dice? Depends on the character... but I also am cautious to let others have the spotlight as well.
26) Are you fully dedicated to this game or do you have many other games going? I have a Saturday game I like to make my brother runs, and PFS games that I would work around the schedule of this game for if I get in. Any future games I run will also be around this schedule... Friday night can be wide open for me.
27) Do you mind using email in between sessions as the primary form of group communication? I have no issue with email at all, though with discord servers I don't see the need as much outside of private GM to Player or file sharing purposes (such as file sharing a long backstory that needs to be kept).
28) Have you ever used Discord? I use it constantly, and play several games with it... even went through the trouble to get syrinscape working with it.
29) Are you a smoker or do you have any other habit that would cause you to take frequent breaks from the "table?" Non-smoker... nothing that would need to take me afk beyond the occasional restroom break.
30) What other (if any) adventure paths have you played? What did you like most? What did you dislike most? Ok, so I've played part way into the first book of Runelords... and run 3 or 4 books into Carrion Crown... and the only thing I've really disliked about it is the fact that those groups dissolved. The Adventure Paths from Paizo are really what got me into Pathfinder as a consistent game option for me.
31) Based on your past experiences, what is one piece of advice (in gerneral and from a player's perspective) you might give a Gamemaster? Prepare... Prepare... Prepare... and keep the off topic chat down, and the game moving once things get started. This is the one of the hardest things to accomplish, and one of the best ways to keep players if you can do so.

Man of Many Faces,
Jerym Staryuche

ThatManOmega
June 6th, 2017, 03:04
1) Have you ever played Pathfinder before? Yes. For about a 2 years now.
2) How long have you been playing RPGs in general? Since I was about
3) What is your favorite type of character to play? A ranged character, Rangers mostly. Have tried to pick up spellcasters every now and then.
4) What do you like most about playing a role-playing game? That for a few hours I don't have to be me. I can be who I want to be and have fun doing it.
5) Do you have a regular, typically predictable schedule? Yup. It will rarely change unless there is a special life event or something of the sort.
6) As far as you know, will your general schedule over the next year allow you to play most Fridays? Yes. Only thing I can see affecting it is going to see a new movie that comes out. Family thing.
7) Do you travel for work? Not at this time.
8) Do you have other personal obligations (no need to disclose details) that would interfere with a Friday game? None unless like I mentioned a special life event (wedding, birth of a child, etc.
9) What is the EARLIEST time you could start a session on Fridays? Around 4 or so.
10) What is the LATEST time you could end a session on Fridays? When I pass out. lol
11) Do you have any experience with Fantasy Grounds? Still figuring out the kinks of the program. Coming from using D20Pro.
12) Do you find yourself arguing with GMs about rules in other games? Nope. If that is the rule, it is absolute whether I agree with it or now. Arguing takes up valuable time.
13) What is more important to YOU in a game: following the rules to a "T" or having the most fun possible(without cheating)? Having fun. That's what it's all about. Doing it the right way I think achieves that the easiest.
14) Do you have a problem with the GM making rules decisions "on the fly" (while being fair) instead of wasting time searching for every tiny rule? Yeah. If there is one thing i've learned about GMing, is that you can't plan for everything. You have to be ready for anything.
15) Are there any Pathfinder-compatible rules out there you would like to try in the game? I really like the Ultimate Campaign book. I would love for my character's story to make a impact in the game.
16) What is your favorite color? Blue.
17) Do you prefer dogs or cats? Dogs, but I can live with cats too.
18) What does "Alignment" mean to you in the game? A lot. It determines who you are in the game and your motivations.
19) Do you like to play "heroes" or "evil characters?" My nature is to help when I can and try to be a good example when I can. So hero. Dosen't mean I don't know how to be a bad guy though. lol
20) Do you get mad when your character dies? The few times I have had a character die was because it was for the survival of the team. So I can't be mad at that.
21) Do you have a problem with "coarse" or "adult" language "at the table?" (not being rude to players, just a foul mouth) Definitely not.
22) Do you have a problem paying attention during online games? (browsing Facebook, chatting with others not in the game, etc) Nope. Once I am gaming, I am in the game. It definitely annoys me when others do it though.
23) Using the calendar attached to the bottom of this post, do you forsee any future scheduling conflicts at a glance? Not at this time. Friday is a perfect day.
24) Do you get intoxicated (in real life) while playing? I do not. And if I do it is a rare occasion. But I like to be clearheaded when playing.
25) Do you consider yourself an out going role-player or the quiet person that likes to roll dice? I love to be outgoing. It is how I am with anything I do. I like to have fun.
26) Are you fully dedicated to this game or do you have many other games going? I would be decicated to this game. I am unable to get others to play due to time restraints and what not. Hence why I am here.
27) Do you mind using email in between sessions as the primary form of group communication? Not at all. I make sure that if I'm in game that I can be contacted any number of ways.
28) Have you ever used Discord? Yes. Mainly when chatting with guild in World of Warcraft. Which will not effect me playing.
29) Are you a smoker or do you have any other habit that would cause you to take frequent breaks from the "table?" Not a smoker. Other than the occasional bathroom break, I will be prepared with anything that would otherwise take me away from the table.
30) What other (if any) adventure paths have you played? What did you like most? What did you dislike most? Most that I have played has been homebrewed, so to be doing something long term is something I am looking forward to.
31) Based on your past experiences, what is one piece of advice (in gerneral and from a player's perspective) you might give a Gamemaster? Have fun. Don't hold back.
Put yourself out there. Be flashy, use music, anything to make your game unforgettable. You won't regret it!

wthrasherb
June 6th, 2017, 16:21
Responses are looking good folks! I want to thank everyone so far for taking the time to answer my little questionnaire. I know it's a lot to ask for a simple rpg, but I've found that taking your time to find a solid group helps the group last longer.

Full disclosure on my situation: Since scheduling this game for Fridays we have had a staff meeting at work. Goodnews is I got promoted and a raise in pay. Bad news is they are changing our shop hours on weekends. Currently I'm off on Fridays and, with the exception of when another employee might call out or go on vacation, and my days off havent changed over the last year. My boss said I should still be good on Fridays. Please know I'm fighting as hard as I can to keep my schedule the same, but things do change.

I am going to run this campaign no matter what, but I may have to run it on a different day in the future. For now, we'll keep our fingers crossed and hope for Natural 20s on our "keep the same schedule" checks...

Keep the responses coming folks!

wthrasherb
June 10th, 2017, 05:42
Still a fully open table folks! No players have been selected yet, so if you are looking for a long term game, put in your response!

I look forward to hearing from you!

wthrasherb
June 12th, 2017, 23:10
*bump*

Sephiir
June 12th, 2017, 23:19
Will my chances of being selected increase if I put in more content into my original post? I know you went above and beyond on that gorgeous introduction to the game and I am incredibly excited for having a DM who genuinely cares about the game. Let me know and I am happy to jump through hoops for an awesome game.

wthrasherb
June 12th, 2017, 23:35
Will my chances of being selected increase if I put in more content into my original post? I know you went above and beyond on that gorgeous introduction to the game and I am incredibly excited for having a DM who genuinely cares about the game. Let me know and I am happy to jump through hoops for an awesome game.

No, your chances will not increase. While I appreciate your enthusiasm, everyone gets a fair chance. The best thing you could do is read back over the original post and verify that you followed all instructions. Since I already have more applications than there is room in the group, I am going to look closely at your attention to detail. Those who have not followed instructions to the letter will be considered last. Otherwise, I have created a list in the order I received your responses. Then I will consider the times people said they can play. Then I will consider preferred character types. Finally, if I can't decide and I don't have a deciding factor between two or more players, then I will roll some dice :)

You were the very first to respond, so you are in the front of the line :) I wouldn't worry too much.

Glad you liked my enhanced players guide!

Sephiir
June 12th, 2017, 23:50
Fair enough! I did re-read the original post and then my entry and I believe I've met all the requirements. I am always happy to put in a little extra effort to make the game better.

Out of curiosity will side content be available for players who are interested in delving into parts of the story the rest of the party aren't so interested in? Such as getting to know NPCs better, exploring shops and museums, and perhaps owning/running businesses within the game world further enriching the society we play within.

It was beautiful and inspires me to try and do one myself.

wthrasherb
June 13th, 2017, 00:22
Fair enough! I did re-read the original post and then my entry and I believe I've met all the requirements. I am always happy to put in a little extra effort to make the game better.

Out of curiosity will side content be available for players who are interested in delving into parts of the story the rest of the party aren't so interested in? Such as getting to know NPCs better, exploring shops and museums, and perhaps owning/running businesses within the game world further enriching the society we play within.

It was beautiful and inspires me to try and do one myself.

I might be willing to play some "side stuff", but we would have to do it outside of the regular game unless it is downtime stuff everyone is doing "between" adventure parts. My days off at work are changing sometime around June 23rd. I will still be off to play this game, but I will have Wednesday and Thursdays off completely, so I might be able to find some time on one of those days to pursue side stuff. No promises though. I stay petty busy between work and my personal life. We'll just have to see how the group goes and see what happens.

I am up for characters having some side activities, but I run ACTION and ADVENTURE games. I will allow for downtime after some action, but I'm not running a game for farmers and shop owners. On the other hand, I like having some side stuff to do if the entire group can't make it one night or something. So don't count on a large focus on side/downtime activities, but there will be some I'm sure.

Hope that gives you some insight.

Sephiir
June 13th, 2017, 00:38
That is completely understandable. I just find really interesting NPCs who have such a small part in the story sometimes and I want to expand on that NPC if possible. Regardless I think the game you are putting together will be really good and I am looking forward to it (if I get picked).7

novluis
June 13th, 2017, 03:43
Agreed, I feel this game will be great given all the effort and the amazing guide I've seen on your end. I do have a question as far as the concept notes we've made, is that something you would like to see?

Buwaro Elexion
June 13th, 2017, 16:32
1) Have you ever played Pathfinder before? A few times.
2) How long have you been playing RPGs in general? 13 years
3) What is your favorite type of character to play? Something with a lot of theatric potential, like my telekinetic that walked on the ceiling to be a dbag to the White Knight of the realm.
4) What do you like most about playing a role-playing game? It's like being on a stage, but all actors are the audience too, and the audience is armed with adamantine butterknives and beads of fireballs.
5) Do you have a regular, typically predictable schedule? Generally speaking.
6) As far as you know, will your general schedule over the next year allow you to play most Fridays? I think so.
7) Do you travel for work? Nope.
8) Do you have other personal obligations (no need to disclose details) that would interfere with a Friday game? Nothing too serious, interruptions unlikely. I'll be sure to speak up if something pops up.
9) What is the EARLIEST time you could start a session on Fridays? Preferably 2:30 EST, so about 6:30 GMT if I can math properly.
10) What is the LATEST time you could end a session on Fridays? As late as you want to go, if nothing changes.
11) Do you have any experience with Fantasy Grounds? Mild experience, no games only making characters.
12) Do you find yourself arguing with GMs about rules in other games? Arguing? No. Trying to convince them to allow technicalities and unusual applications of rules? Sure.
13) What is more important to YOU in a game: following the rules to a "T" or having the most fun possible(without cheating)? It's a game, the goal of it is obviously to have as much as possible.
14) Do you have a problem with the GM making rules decisions "on the fly" (while being fair) instead of wasting time searching for every tiny rule? On the fly is how I grew up on DnD, so no issue.
15) Are there any Pathfinder-compatible rules out there you would like to try in the game? Possibly. Depends on what I feel like I should play and what feats/feature/rules I'd feel like I should offer up to the DM.
16) What is your favorite color? Purple. It's neutral in most stereotypical conflicts, and it's regal.
17) Do you prefer dogs or cats? Kittens.
18) What does "Alignment" mean to you in the game? A loose guideline on your character's instincts.
19) Do you like to play "heroes" or "evil characters?" Depends on the setting. Generally supporting the greater good, even if that makes me a villain in the end.
20) Do you get mad when your character dies? No, I laugh harder knowing I had it coming.
21) Do you have a problem with "coarse" or "adult" language "at the table?" (not being rude to players, just a foul mouth) Not particularly. Just don't be mad if I miss my turn because I ignored the chat if it gets too dirty for my own taste.
22) Do you have a problem paying attention during online games? (browsing Facebook, chatting with others not in the game, etc) Facebook is boring, there aren't nearly enough dragons and party members to stab. No.
24) Do you get intoxicated (in real life) while playing? MOST CERTAINLY not... To quote my mom, 'beer smells like goat piss.'
25) Do you consider yourself an out going role-player or the quiet person that likes to roll dice? generally quiet, although that's because I've played quiet characters lately.
26) Are you fully dedicated to this game or do you have many other games going? I play a game on Wednesdays, but that probably won't interfere.
27) Do you mind using email in between sessions as the primary form of group communication? No issue.
28) Have you ever used Discord? Yes.
29) Are you a smoker or do you have any other habit that would cause you to take frequent breaks from the "table?" Nope.
30) What other (if any) adventure paths have you played? What did you like most? What did you dislike most? I played a module before but I forget the name. The puzzles were fun, although my character in that game was lackluster in combat and died literally five times.
31) Based on your past experiences, what is one piece of advice (in general and from a player's perspective) you might give a Gamemaster? Please, for f's sake, give us our exp during the session and not like half way between sessions in the middle of the day when nobody's near their character sheets. In my other game I think i've lost so much exp to that and just forgetting to add it up.

Buwaro Elexion
June 13th, 2017, 16:36
Also if you don't have a confirmed healer, can I call dibs on being it? I have been thinking on a util/sup character for a while and wanna put it to a test of practicality.

wthrasherb
June 13th, 2017, 18:46
Agreed, I feel this game will be great given all the effort and the amazing guide I've seen on your end. I do have a question as far as the concept notes we've made, is that something you would like to see?

If you don't mind sharing your concept notes here on the forums, that would be awesome. Then the other applicants can have a preview of what each other is thinking.

If you don't want to share publicly, that's cool, you can send me a PM.

I want to reiterate that you should NOT make any final character decisions BEFORE July 7th, Session 0.

There is a method to my madness! I promise I'm not being this anal for my own entertainment ;) LOL

BadLittleMonkey
June 14th, 2017, 01:03
Yes. I played a few sessions, on paper. But that was several years back.

33 years, off and on... since I was 12. See my profile for a list of games with which I have experience.

Usually a support type. A healer or a skill monkey. I don't mind being the 'Face' for the party. Don't get me wrong, I like smashing a goblin in the face with my flail as much as the next guy, but I usually go with a more socially adept character type.

Building the team, overcoming an obstacle using our skills and wits.

Yes, I do. I'm contractor for the US government, so I work a pretty fixed schedule.

Yes, I see no reasons I wouldn't be able to make the scheduled sessions.

Not very much, and lately not at all.

Nope. My kids are getting older, and are pretty independent.

6:00PM Eastern.

Whatever time we finish for the night. I'm a grown *** man, and I'll stay up as late as I want! ...unless my wife tells me otherwise...

Some; I played several sessions a few months back. I was quick to pick it up and felt pretty comfortable with the interface.

I like knowing the rules but that's just for me. I'm not a stickler, story always trumps RAW. If a question comes up, I'll throw in my two cents, but the final decision always goes to the DM.

13) What is more important to YOU in a game: following the rules to a "T" or having the most fun possible (without cheating)?
Definitely having the most fun... I like that you caveated your question with "without cheating." One thing that does bother me are people that abuse the rules for their own advantage; or more specifically, use other's unfamiliarity with the rules to better themselves at the expense of the party. I don't mind tension or drama in party dynamics and character motivation, I just don't like cheaters or bullies.

Not at all! But if I feel it's something integral to the game I'll ask us for clarification for future sessions.

I've had a character concept for an Investigator (out of the Advanced Character Guide) for quite some time. Or maybe an Alchemist from the Advanced Players Guide, that might be cool, too.

Blue. I was going to make a Monty Python joke here, but decided against it...

Dogs, I have two. Cats' arrogant, superior attitudes smacks of elitism.

Alignment is more useful for the DM and the other players to gauge how a character might react in a given situation. But for me, alignment has a dynamic quality to it. I don’t prescribe to the notion that alignment is static and a character will always respond in an exact manner, especially in a stressful situation. Oh, and don’t get me started on the player’s character that pickpockets his fellow PC, and then sheepishly says, “What!? I’m just playing my alignment!”

Also, I don’t believe alignment is a particularly useful thing to the individual character. If you asked Han Solo what his alignment is (once you explained the concept to him), I believe he’d reply, “Oh… definitely Chaotic Neutral. I go where I want, when I want, and I do what I want. I don’t care about anything but my buddy, Chewy, and this old bucket o’ bolts. You know she made the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs, right…?” But, to anyone that’s watched Episodes V, we know Han Solo is Chaotic Good. He couldn’t help himself but stick around to help the rebellion, even to the point that he had bounty hunters after his ***. He had the money to pay back Jabba, but he kept coming up with excuses to stick around and protect his friends, despite the danger to himself. My point is that often the character themselves is an unreliable indicator of their actual alignment.

I don't mind playing morally ambiguous characters, but I do prefer a story that expects the characters to rise to the occasion and become the “heroes.” The few times I've played in an evil campaign, it's just turned into murder hobo-ism.

No, not if it furthers the story or was done to help save the party. I have about a half dozen character concepts floating around in my head at any given time, so I’m always willing to let one go and move on to the next.

I was a sailor in the US Navy for most of my adult life. Now, I work with Military Police on a daily basis… No, I don’t have a problem with coarse language. But don’t worry; I don’t, like, drop F-bombs every other word, either.

22) Do you have a problem paying attention during online games? (browsing Facebook, chatting with others not in the game, etc.)
No, when it’s time to play, it’s time to play. I give people in my life a heads up to let them know I will be unavailable during that time, and I try to stay focused on the game.

23) Using the calendar attached to the bottom of this post, do you foresee any future scheduling conflicts at a glance?
No, none I can see. My wife and I keep talking about taking a cruise next year, so eventually there will be a conflict, but missed sessions should be few and far between for me.

No. I'll have a drink or two over the course of the session, but I like to keep my wits about me.

25) Do you consider yourself an outgoing role-player or the quiet person that likes to roll dice?
I’d say I rise to the level required. When we need someone to talk to the innkeeper, or explain how were going to go about investigating a room for traps and secret doors, I’m happy to chime in (and I usually try to get a few of the other players involved). But I don’t like to hog the spotlight and I think it’s important for all characters to have their moment to shine.

I’m DM’ing a D&D 5e Eberron campaign for some friends right now. We get together every other week, usually on a Wednesday or Thursday evening, for about three hours at a time.

No, I like keeping the lines of communication open between sessions. I think it helps stay motivated and involved.

No. I’ve used Teamspeak, Skype, and Hangouts. I’ve downloaded Discord and set up an account, though. It seems pretty straight forward.

No, I try not to distract from the game during a session.

I’m aware of several of the Pathfinder APs, but never played through any of them. I like the idea of an overarching, cohesive storyline. I assume there’s some side quests build into them, as well. Not having played through one, not sure but I don’t think I would like it if the AP felt too railroady. I would prefer it if it at least appeared like we are discovering how to get from set piece to set piece, and not just magically teleporting around with some fluff text, hand waving in-between.

Don’t try to over-prepare. No matter how much you try to account for every contingency, your players will discover some situation you never thought of, completely blowing your plans out of the water. Stay flexible; it’s better to understand the rules, your setting, and your NPCs motivations, so your mind is free to react naturally to what’s happening in the moment.

Dminishing Rtns
June 15th, 2017, 06:11
Yes. Both modules and homebrew games.

16 years, varying from traditional table top, purely text-based, and pc/console gaming.

I typically play dex based melee and off-tanks, however I've been expanding my horizons more lately with front line builds.

The act of sharing experiences with a group of people while being given a medium to explore different perspectives in a friendly, fantastical environment.

Yes. I work a pretty standard 7-4 schedule with minimal variation.

Yes.

Yes. My travel is usually pretty predictable, and in the last two years I haven't traveled on a Friday. I usually make return trips on Saturdays, allowing me to still have room and space to play on Friday nights without any interruption.

Two kids, but luckily my wife ensures that I get my weekly game time without any hiccups. I don't expect any causes for concern unless a real emergency comes up, but that is a given.

4:15 PST

I'm open for as late as the group needs.

I've been playing around with a few campaigns (1st Kingmaker path and Road to Revolution). I've only been on the dm side so far.

No. I'll happily ask for clarification if needs be, but typically it is just a matter of working to comply with either House Rules or agreed upon Rulebook.

I think there's middle ground with this question, having the most fun is certainly a group and individual goal. With that being said, folks should work to comply with the given rules and help foster an environment where the trust system is viable. If a party is having issues with certain rules, which can happen in homebrew games, the matter should be addressed with the DM/GM in a respectful manner where all parties are heard. It might not always lead to making everyone happy, as the DM does have final say, but it creates a better environment if communication is open.

I don't. I think the idea of "what makes the most sense in a given situation" is a fine practice.

I can't really think of any, however I've DM'd the first path for Rise of the Runelords for some close friends and I found that the Core Rulebook and the various Advanced Guides (Player, Race, Class) provide what's needed.

Blue. Always blue.

I prefer to play with dogs, but prefer the maintenance required for cats. I have both. Cats are lazy and therefore don't typically wake me up early in the morning because the garbage man is making his rounds. Dogs though...that's a different story.

A character's personal philosophy versus the world's view of that philosophy when compared to societal norms. An Evil alignment doesn't mean that the character is a heartless wretch, at least internally, that character may just not have moral qualms about taking actions that others might balk at. Likewise, "Good" characters may struggle with utilitarianism versus saving everyone. I tend to believe that there are very few Lawful Good or Chaotic Evil folks really out there. Most find themselves somewhere closer to neutral depending on their circumstances.

"Heroes" I guess. If I'm in a good group, then it becomes a dynamic where it's about protecting the group from threats and ensuring (sometimes through good deeds) that the group is received well when venturing from township to township.

Depends, if I did something stupid, then yes. I get mad at myself. But if it's in the act of combat and things turn sour...well that's part of the risk in adventuring. I think anyone would admit that they grow attached to their characters, so it should be expected that someone would feel something about the loss of the investment in that character.

...I was in the Navy and currently work as a civilian for another branch of the armed services. I have yet to find something on the day to day that would offend me.

No.

Just one date, December 29th 2017. It's a birthday for a close family member. That appears to be the only date that could be an issue.

No. I've played games where everyone involved had a beer or two, but most of my time spent has been playing in-person so getting sloppy drunk and driving home was a no-go for me. That being said, I have no issues with people easing some tension with drink and being amiable.

I like to role-play when it makes sense. I don't need hours of RP though, as I do like to keep things moving with involves combat/skill challenges, etc.

I don't have any other games currently going. I live in a rural area with no groups going. I'm prepared to dedicate my gaming time to this session.

Not an issue.

No. I've used various other voice/chat options for games. I'm sure it's not rocket science.

Nope.

I've DM's the first path of Rise of the Runelords, played a few converted 3.5E games, Kingmaker, Road to Revolution. I like games that provide good hooks for PCs, whether upfront or as a build up over time. I don't enjoy having to pour through tons of lore/history to find value in what the party is doing. I enjoy good literature, but a good campaign pathway can find good ways to draw in characters without hours of history lessons.

I think being able to manage the group is important. For the most part, we're all adults. So the players should not try to steamroll the dm, at the same time, they shouldn't try to steamroll each other either. While it's not the DM's job to baby sit people, I think there are ways to respectfully interject

wthrasherb
June 17th, 2017, 19:57
Last week for applications folks. No final choices have been made at this point.

Final choices will be made by June 23rd.

Thanks!

Sephiir
June 17th, 2017, 21:20
Hello everyone!

So as I am beginning to think of a character concept I think I would love to play a character I've always wanted to play but never quite got to. I normally play a melee-oriented bruiser but would love the opportunity to branch I will start with nuts and bolts (not a finished concept) and then a bit of story behind the idea.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/36/31/ec/3631ec9b580d5abadef45d1052090405.jpg

Bard
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/

Flagbearer
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/flagbearer-local/

Kit
Longspear
Light Armor

Roles: Face, Support

Alek, a Varisian human, has been a resident of Sandpoint since birth over seventeen years past. His parents, Hyram and Wendy Tyrz, own a small commercial shop that specializes in custom weaving, providing high quality bolts of cloth to clothiers and top-tier ship-builders. His 6'2" frame is slight, bordering on lanky, but many young men and women have learned that he can scrap with the best of them when necessary. His parents want him to take over the Tyrz Weaving Co. when Hyram retires but Alek has dreams of performing in distant courts and on glorious battlefields (he has never seen real war). His sly tongue often gets him into trouble but also swiftly pulls him out of it. He has been training since a child to fill the position of flag bearer in the Sandpoint militia, eagerly looking forward to the time he can take the prestigious (to him) position. He has even woven a beautiful flag with the Sandpoint symbol emblazoned upon it. He is renowned for his abilities to recount a story with beauty and grace but also to put bow to string and issue haunting tunes. He is working on a performance that combines both skills.

BadLittleMonkey
June 18th, 2017, 09:03
Hey,

I know I'm kinda far down the list of applicants, but since Sephiir started posting character concepts, I thought I'd join in. I have a few other ideas, but this would be my first choice character to play.

Lew Mathis is a Private Investigator who grew up in Korvosa. He's always had a need to uncover the truth, even as a child, asking questions and turning over clues until the facts were laid out in front of him. After turning 18, he joined the Chelish Imperial Army, eventually receiving a commission in the Cheliax Military Police Corps. After nearly a decade of service Mathis resigned his commission and returned home to open a fledgling PI business. He has a younger brother, Nic, who has been getting him into trouble since they were young. But the PI has always had a soft spot for his kid brother. After several months of uninspired work, Mathis took on a case which tied back to Nic. Seems he and the moll of a local kingpin got ahold of something they weren't supposed to have and then skipped town. Mathis tracked his brother and the girl to Sandpoint where they were hiding out. Unfortunately, he didn’t realize he had been followed and by the end of the encounter Mathis’ brother and the girl were dead, along with the goons sent for them. Now Mathis is stuck with some ancient relic he doesn’t know anything about other than people are willing to kill for it. He’s been lying low in Sandpoint for the last several weeks, long enough to have forged a few friendships with the locals. He misses his brother and he’s angry with himself for the mistakes he made but he’s getting antsy to move. It wouldn't take much of an impetus to get him on the trail of a new mystery.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwEdoiZvY-d1aTctbG5mSnowd00

Investigator
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/investigator/

EDIT: Having poked around the ACG a bit, I think the 'Sleuth' archetype might be closer to the hard-boiled detective vibe I'm going for.

Weapons/Armor
Rapier
Shortbow (Hand Crossbow, once he gets enough money)
Sap
Leather Armor

Roles: Skill Monkey, Support

Staryuche
June 19th, 2017, 03:05
I wrote up some quick... probably error ridden concepts... several, just in case we need different concepts for party composition... If I don't make it in feel free to steal my concepts if you like them:

Dwarven Druid(Cave Archetype/ Caves Earth Subdomain)-
dishonored family clan exiled from Janderholf; grew up in Windsong Abbey and took to a very monastic lifestyle following Irori; takes to long meditations in caves, and is where he found his druidic connection to the earth; After... an "incident" with the local monks... he was forced to leave... and came upon Sandpoint; He has taken to use his mastery of stone work helping the build the current cathedral, during his travels he can feel when the wrongness in the natural order of things (particularly in ruins/caves/underground), and attempts to seek out solutions and bring the natural order back; has the dwarven and irori passion of seeking out lore and history wherever he can find it, and finds the Old Light very curious.

Shundar-Quah Shoanti Skald-
Shundar-Quah, but spent most of his adult life so far as an emissary to the Shadde-Quah protecting visitors from seaward invaders from the west, He has taken plenty of trips to Sandpoint for supplies, rest, and such; and being a diplomat between the Shadde-Quah and Sandpoint has given him plenty of rare opportunities to help and interact with the people of Sandpoint, even helping to track down a killer known as the Chopper some 5 years ago. Loves telling the tales of his people, and has an interested in learning more of their past.

Varisian Tattooed Sorcerer-
Washing up on the shores of Sandpoint a year ago, self proclaimed adventurer and pirate extraordinaire... tells conflicting stories about his current predicament either being caused by a fight with old murdermaw, or from being mutinied(again)... always has a grand story to tell, maybe even true, maybe not... is always on the lookout for the next big score or adventure... over eager to help out and take credit... he might have even been a little too eager to help out titus scarnetti with something a little less than noble...

Thoughts?

novluis
June 19th, 2017, 21:52
Zren Silverthorn
Fighter
Horse Riding Weaponmaster

Wields a Ranseur, a Scimitar and a Shortbow
With a Chainshirt outfitted with the fur of the bear of Wartle.
Earned a small reputation in Wartle when he defended the town's children from a huge man-eating bear

Personality:
Zren has never been the loud type. Humble in his mannerism but says what he thinks and means what he says. A Stern, introvert type composure sometimes mistakened with aggression, Adding to his sometimes aloof nature when it comes to social occasions. Raised in the Storval Plateau, fighting giants like his love for horses is one of the many core aspects of his being. Trustworthy as can be but quick to doubt if he feels his companions are not keeping his best interest and the teams best interest in mind.
The Code of Honor passed down to him by his father is his life's blood
Do not harm children
Give Respect due to your Elders
All a Man has is his word
Cherish your companions be it a beast or person

Why do you fight:
While his father was on his deathbed, he learned of his life as a monster hunter, a life full of adventure, danger
and exploration. The allure of being an adventurer, his promise to his father to not just be a simple fur trader
and to learn of his elven heritage.
The decimation of his tribe also resulted in him Vowing To protect others of the heartache of losing ones family.

Who Taught you to fight:
Constant conflict in the Stroval plateaus taught him
quickly of the art of self defense, but technique, discipline, and Horse riding was taught to him by his father, and many of the elite warriors in your old tribe.

Strengths:
Brave, Nimble, Hearty, Kind hearted, Analytical

Weakness:
Sometimes impulsive if a friend is in danger, Not very worldly, says what
He means what he says, Messy, Paranoid due to analytical side

Born to an elven mother of a Varisian nomad tribe of that traveled the Storval Plateau, His Father Thorin Silverthorn, a
human monster hunter, was making his way back to the coast in hopes of possibly finding the legendary beast of
Sandpoint this time around stumbled upon a tribe. Intrigued with their way of life, Thorin traveled with the tribe in an attempt to help their situation. Many years passed on the great plateau, and on a night full of thunder, He was born. Growing weary of the constantly growing giant threat, Thorin
pleaded his beloved to follow him to a little town named Wartle. She refused to leave her home almost
considering so many of her tribe her children given her elven heritage. This Choice was forced upon them when
a Giant raid came and decimated their families. Blood Curling screams, steel flashing, mounds of flesh
everywhere. He still remembered this vividly and the nightmares of when his family of nearly 52 was
reduced to mere party of 12 The journey to Wartle, a fur trading post, was mostly a blur. The only memories
that refused to leave him was that of his mother passing near the Fenwall mountains and how she, as the
journey went on, slowly died. The heartbreak of losing the only family she had ever known slowly killed her.
Upon arriving to Wartle, his father's Ranseur MoonLight was wrapped in a silk and put away. Life went on
trapping, and fur trading. A run in with a massive bear that earned him quite a reputation in Wartle. Besides
the occasional goblin, Routine filled their days. Late in the summer month's
Zren's father collasped,a lifetime of adventuring finally taking its toll. His life slowly left him in the three days he laid in bed. For the first time, in years
his father spoke to him about his mother, how he came upon their tribe, his days as a monster hunter, his dream
to see the legendary beast of Sandpoint that eluded him for so many years. Those three days were filled with
laughter and tears. On the third night his father's life finally left his eyes, with a quick bow he left to Sand Point in search of someone by the name of Deverin not quite sure what he would find there. After spending some time there he quickly realized there was a need for strong warriors there to protect the good people of Sandpoint. Eager to continue his journey as a defender of the people.

Feedback?

wthrasherb
June 20th, 2017, 20:50
Ok folks, I've notified my "first round draft picks" via private message. I am waiting for reposnses.

If I do not have 5 responses by the time I'm off work Friday June 23rd, I will move to the next choices on the list.

So if you didnt make the first round draft, dont give up hope! I have 3 slots open still...

Thanks!

GimlysBeard
June 21st, 2017, 02:38
Nope
11 years
Anything but a mage or rogue really
The freedom of choices to make, the fantasy world, and interacting with the party
Yeah. Able to get a day of the week off if i need it
Yes
No
Negative
anytime
Anytime
I've played a few games with friends over FG
Nope, their world their rules. But i will inquire if it is something that we have not gone over or if i just dont know the rules of what i am about to do
Fun
Nah
Dont know pathfinders really so i'd have to say no
Light Brown
Dogs
How you interact with general society and what motivates you to do what you do
"Heroes"
Well yeah i feel like a little part of me dies with them... :(
FUBAR
Nope i live in a cave and Do not disturb is a thing
Nope
I have done drunk dnd session irl and not really fun. so no
Yes
I have no other games going
not at all
all the time
No
I've played only homebrew games
A lot of players will know some stats and traits of monsters and stuff and other lore so go ahead and throw some of your own twist into some common monsters or change up some lore to keep people on their toes

wthrasherb
June 23rd, 2017, 12:28
*bump*

I'm trying to have a group selected by tonight folks! Still 2 spots open!

novluis
June 23rd, 2017, 14:32
Still interested, if you still have room at the end of the day.

opfor6
June 24th, 2017, 20:49

1) Have you ever played Pathfinder before? Yes. GM'd more than played
2) How long have you been playing RPGs in general? 37 years
3) What is your favorite type of character to play? fighter or cleric type. But I have played them all.
4) What do you like most about playing a role-playing game? Being able to game with a group.
5) Do you have a regular, typically predictable schedule? Yes.
6) As far as you know, will your general schedule over the next year allow you to play most Fridays? Yes
7) Do you travel for work? No.
8) Do you have other personal obligations (no need to disclose details) that would interfere with a Friday game? Family might want to go out for dinner or something once in a while.
9) What is the EARLIEST time you could start a session on Fridays? Generally 6:30 PM Pacific. Any earlier would be iffy due to traffic to get home.
10) What is the LATEST time you could end a session on Fridays? No limit
11) Do you have any experience with Fantasy Grounds? I have used it quite a bit for a display top and die roller. Have not used it with all the bells and whistles. I have been watching the videos to start running a PF Kingmaker campaign in the future.
13) What is more important to YOU in a game: following the rules to a "T" or having the most fun possible(without cheating)? Fun.
14) Do you have a problem with the GM making rules decisions "on the fly" (while being fair) instead of wasting time searching for every tiny rule? Sure. As long it isn't for nearly everything because they do not know the system at all.
15) Are there any Pathfinder-compatible rules out there you would like to try in the game? Not that I know of.
17) Do you prefer dogs or cats? Dogs
18) What does "Alignment" mean to you in the game? Rough guideline on the temperament of the character.
19) Do you like to play "heroes" or "evil characters?" I like to play complicated characters, Not shiny Paladins or evil bastards
20) Do you get mad when your character dies? Only if the situation was a no chance "you walk in the room and die" thing. It is mostly a scenario design thing not a GM thing. Plus mad is a relative state, I rarely ever get really mad.
21) Do you have a problem with "coarse" or "adult" language "at the table?" (not being rude to players, just a foul mouth) Not at all.
22) Do you have a problem paying attention during online games? (browsing Facebook, chatting with others not in the game, etc) No.
24) Do you get intoxicated (in real life) while playing? Do not drink at all. Tastes like medicine to me. Do not mind if others have some. I just do not care for it.
25) Do you consider yourself an out going role-player or the quiet person that likes to roll dice? Definitely out going.
26) Are you fully dedicated to this game or do you have many other games going? I have a standing every other Saturday game. Should not a be a problem.
27) Do you mind using email in between sessions as the primary form of group communication? No.
28) Have you ever used Discord? No I have used TeamSpeak and Skype in the past.
29) Are you a smoker or do you have any other habit that would cause you to take frequent breaks from the "table?" Nope just peeing and grabbing food or drink...;)
30) What other (if any) adventure paths have you played? What did you like most? What did you dislike most? None. I have looked at the first module for Kingmaker. I like all the detail and the connected events.
31) Based on your past experiences, what is one piece of advice (in gerneral and from a player's perspective) you might give a Gamemaster? Read the modules over in depth before trying to run it. It keeps things moving and allows you to make changes on the fly when the group inevitably does something completely off the wall.

swbuza
June 25th, 2017, 06:27
Would love to play this, but since I'm running two groups through it right now, it might be a little too much of one AP.

nimrand
June 25th, 2017, 12:52
1) Have you ever played Pathfinder before? No, but I've owned the books for ages.
2) How long have you been playing RPGs in general? Off and on for about 5 years.
3) What is your favorite type of character to play? Fighters, rangers, hybrid martial/arcane characters (like Magus). Sometimes spellcasters.
4) What do you like most about playing a role-playing game? The combat and the great stories that come out of gameplay, especially when things don't go as planned.
5) Do you have a regular, typically predictable schedule? Yes.
6) As far as you know, will your general schedule over the next year allow you to play most Fridays? Yes.
7) Do you travel for work? No.
8) Do you have other personal obligations (no need to disclose details) that would interfere with a Friday game? No.
9) What is the EARLIEST time you could start a session on Fridays? 4 PM. But, prefer to start after 5 PM.
10) What is the LATEST time you could end a session on Fridays? As late as you want. I'm in Japan timezone, so for me its daytime.
11) Do you have any experience with Fantasy Grounds? Yes. I used to play and GM D&D 4E LFR games many years ago.
13) What is more important to YOU in a game: following the rules to a "T" or having the most fun possible(without cheating)? Having fun.
14) Do you have a problem with the GM making rules decisions "on the fly" (while being fair) instead of wasting time searching for every tiny rule? I think its best to do it that way rather than bog down gameplay. However, after the game I usually prefer to lookup the official rule and play it that way the next time.
15) Are there any Pathfinder-compatible rules out there you would like to try in the game? No.
16) What is your favorite color? Blue.
17) Do you prefer dogs or cats? Cats.
18) What does "Alignment" mean to you in the game? It characterizes a character's sense of morality or worldview.
19) Do you like to play "heroes" or "evil characters?" Heroes.
20) Do you get mad when your character dies? No.
21) Do you have a problem with "coarse" or "adult" language "at the table?" (not being rude to players, just a foul mouth) No.
22) Do you have a problem paying attention during online games? (browsing Facebook, chatting with others not in the game, etc) No.
23) Using the calendar attached to the bottom of this post, do you forsee any future scheduling conflicts at a glance? No.
24) Do you get intoxicated (in real life) while playing? No.
25) Do you consider yourself an out going role-player or the quiet person that likes to roll dice? I'm a bit of an introvert, so maybe the latter. But, I make an effort to roleplay.
26) Are you fully dedicated to this game or do you have many other games going? This will be my only game.
27) Do you mind using email in between sessions as the primary form of group communication? No.
28) Have you ever used Discord? No, but I'm sure it wont be hard to learn.
29) Are you a smoker or do you have any other habit that would cause you to take frequent breaks from the "table?" No.
30) What other (if any) adventure paths have you played? What did you like most? What did you dislike most? None.
31) Based on your past experiences, what is one piece of advice (in gerneral and from a player's perspective) you might give a Gamemaster? Good storytelling and ability to improve are probably the most important skills for a memorable, engaging game.

wthrasherb
June 26th, 2017, 18:26
This thread is officially closed. No further responses will be acknowledged. Thanks!