PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop & loading Fantasy Grounds

Dax Doomslayer
May 29th, 2017, 14:38
Hi Folks,
I just purchased a laptop (yay!!). I have FG on my desktop but for potentially table gaming, I'd like to add it to my laptop. I've basically purchased all the WoTC bundle (other than TotYP) and I've added about 4 of my own modules. What is the easiest way to go about this? Is it just downloading the demo, inputting my Ultimate License Key and then copying my FG Data folder to the laptop? Or would that not work? Or is there a better way? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Trenloe
May 29th, 2017, 15:39
HIs it just downloading the demo, inputting my Ultimate License Key and then copying my FG Data folder to the laptop?
Yes. With the additional step of running an update after entering your license key, FG website user ID and password in the settings screen. Probably best to run an update after copying over your data too so that you're up-to-date.

Dax Doomslayer
May 29th, 2017, 21:41
Cool - thanks Trenloe! It's good to see I wasn't on the wrong track for once. So I'll download; add license key; copy over Data folder then run the update. I appreciate the response.

Dax Doomslayer
June 3rd, 2017, 16:58
OK - so I'm trying to go through this process now. I've downloaded the Demo; copied over my Data folder and I am tried adding my license key to the Settings tab and then clicked the update button. It looks like it updates adding all my 'stuff' - it took a while to do this and all the WoTC books look like they were itemized etc. as there's a line item for each. However, when I go back to the main launch page, I'm still only in 'demo' mode. It seems like it isn't picking up the 'lifetime license' for some reason. I've tried then to 'activate license' by clicking that button and then entering the license key there and I get the message of 'The license key entered is invalid'. I'm not sure what is going on here. I was going to try and uninstall / reinstall but I don't think I can uninstall this as it doesn't show up in my list of programs to uninstall. What am I doing incorrectly? Anyone have any ideas?

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2017, 17:29
'The license key entered is invalid'.
Double and triple check that you've entered the license key correctly, that there are no spaces at the beginning or the end. The key is alphanumeric, with 5 sets of 5 characters separated by hyphens - for example: 12ABC-34DEF-56GHI-78JKL-90MNO

If your license is a subscription (I know you said 'liftime', but I'm just checking) - make sure that PayPal still has your subscription as valid. If, for whatever reason, PayPal can't take your payment the subscription is cancelled and your license key is invalidated.

LordEntrails
June 3rd, 2017, 17:32
OK - so I'm trying to go through this process now. I've downloaded the Demo; copied over my Data folder and I am tried adding my license key to the Settings tab and then clicked the update button. It looks like it updates adding all my 'stuff' - it took a while to do this and all the WoTC books look like they were itemized etc. as there's a line item for each. However, when I go back to the main launch page, I'm still only in 'demo' mode. It seems like it isn't picking up the 'lifetime license' for some reason. I've tried then to 'activate license' by clicking that button and then entering the license key there and I get the message of 'The license key entered is invalid'. I'm not sure what is going on here. I was going to try and uninstall / reinstall but I don't think I can uninstall this as it doesn't show up in my list of programs to uninstall. What am I doing incorrectly? Anyone have any ideas?
Try re-entering the license key, don't use cut and paste and make sure you have no trailing spaces. Also make sure you enter your forum username and password, and if you are using Steam that you follow the Steam linking instructions.

Don't worry about copying your campaign data until you can get the update and purchased content working correctly.

If that doesn't work, send a screen shot of your settings page and any errors to [email protected] with details of what's happening and they can verify your license key etc.

Dax Doomslayer
June 3rd, 2017, 17:58
Well Trenloe, I'm not sure what it was but I re-entered the key again at your behest (after doing it about 4 times prior) and now it works. It must have been a space after the end is all I can figure. That said, YAY!! It's all set now. :D

Trenloe
June 4th, 2017, 05:36
That said, YAY!! It's all set now. :D
YAY! Indeed. :D