PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Attack Effect Coding (it works)

twseifert
May 29th, 2017, 01:34
So I have been trying to get a Sneak Attack Effect to work properly in game for a while now. And the Fantasygrounds.com/wiki page was no help (such a large part of major class is not listed under the "PC Specific Notes - Specific PC Ability/Trait Examples" section and the few threads here were not overly enlightening.

So I thought I would post a screen shot of what the effect looks like in game for your reference.

Sneak Attack Effect Code

Nylanfs
May 29th, 2017, 19:42
Might this thread be of use?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36538-Effects-The-Complete-Rogue-Package&p=319179#post319179

Zacchaeus
May 29th, 2017, 23:00
And this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36538-Effects-The-Complete-Rogue-Package&p=319179#post319179).

Torgaard
May 30th, 2017, 21:11
So I have been trying to get a Sneak Attack Effect to work properly in game for a while now. And the Fantasygrounds.com/wiki page was no help (such a large part of major class is not listed under the "PC Specific Notes - Specific PC Ability/Trait Examples" section and the few threads here were not overly enlightening.

So I thought I would post a screen shot of what the effect looks like in game for your reference.

On my table I think (I'm at work) we set Sneak Attack to targeting "SELF". So basically - after the Rogue successfully hits his opponent - he clicks the Sneak Attack effect button, which puts it on himself, and then he rolls damage while targeting his opponent (or dragging and dropping his damage dice on this opponent); which adds 4d6 to his damage roll (and of course immediately removes the effect after the roll).

At first glance, you might think "Wait - wut? I don't want to damage myself for 4d6!", but I believe the fact that you're targeting someone else with that damage basically tells the table to use secondary logic - ie "Instead of hitting yourself with this damage on your next roll (which the setup implies), since you're targeting something else, I'll override that default logic, and instead add that additional damage to the target".

Doing 'SELF + Next Roll' type of effects like this is one way of accomplishing a few situations like this - but there's different ways as well. Somebody else might instead just create a damage button (ie the little drop of blood) that does 4d6 damage, and just have the Rogue click that, stuff like that.

Spin-Man
May 30th, 2017, 22:29
On my table I think (I'm at work) we set Sneak Attack to targeting "SELF". So basically - after the Rogue successfully hits his opponent - he clicks the Sneak Attack effect button, which puts it on himself, and then he rolls damage while targeting his opponent (or dragging and dropping his damage dice on this opponent); which adds 4d6 to his damage roll (and of course immediately removes the effect after the roll).That's right, SELF is the way to go. The ability can only boost the damage of his own attacks, so there's no reason to target anyone else with it.

At first glance, you might think "Wait - wut? I don't want to damage myself for 4d6!", but I believe the fact that you're targeting someone else with that damage basically tells the table to use secondary logic - ie "Instead of hitting yourself with this damage on your next roll (which the setup implies), since you're targeting something else, I'll override that default logic, and instead add that additional damage to the target".The "DMG: xx" effect adds to the character's DMG rolls, just like "AC: xx" adds to the character's AC. It's not overriding the targeting because the effect itself isn't damage; it's a stat buff that modifies the character's DMG value.

Doing 'SELF + Next Roll' type of effects like this is one way of accomplishing a few situations like this - but there's different ways as well. Somebody else might instead just create a damage button (ie the little drop of blood) that does 4d6 damage, and just have the Rogue click that, stuff like that.
Using a separate damage effect (blood drop) to do sneak attack damage will give different totals than a single roll if the target has any damage reduction effects. With Resistance, it's only 0-1 points (from rounding), but anything that takes damage off the top will treat them as two sources that each get reduced. Ideally, damage from a single source should be made in one damage roll, even if it has multiple types (such as a flame brand that deals 1d8 slashing and 1d6 fire).

Zacchaeus
May 30th, 2017, 23:47
Yes, creating as the OP and the other sources pointed to is the correct way to do it. Apart from resistances it also applied the correct damage type and will also correctly apply critical damage. If a separate damage effect were to be created this would give entirely the wrong result in almost every case.