PDA

View Full Version : Cold-Forged Iron Damage Type

Joe813210
May 26th, 2017, 17:40
I use the 5e effects FG wiki to get most issues resolved but have run across one I cannot figure out. The damage type of cold-forged iron. I am building some old edition monsters which have resistance to weapons unless they are cold-forged. I am wanting to have this built in the NPC's "Damage Resistances" and/or "Damage Immunity". I've got the right verbiage for the CT to recognize the other 'must be' damage types (i.e. magic, adamantine, silver), but not cold-forged. Additionally, I'm having the same issue when trying to have an NPC have an action/attack which uses a cold-forged iron weapon. I cannot get CT to recognize the damage type.

Does anyone know if cold-forged iron is not a recognized damage type (despite it being listed as a damage type in the FG wiki https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

or

Does anyone know the correct verbiage needed for FG to recognize this damage type in the CT?

LordEntrails
May 26th, 2017, 17:48
Hey Joe,
I don't know, but I'm sure some of our effects gurus will be along shortly. One thing that will help them help you is if you can post screen shots of the effects you have tried. As you probably know, syntax is vital and something like a capital letter or a space can make all the difference.

Zacchaeus
May 26th, 2017, 18:10
Cold-Forged iron (or any other kind of iron for that matter) isn't recognised by FG - since it's not a thing in 5e.

Not sure how you would go about doing it either since you can't add it to the NPC sheet under immunities and resistances. You might be able to do something with the CUSTOM tag but off hand I can't really think of any kind of neat way.

Sounds like you'll need to write yourself an extension.

Trenloe
May 26th, 2017, 18:29
There is code within the 5E ruleset setup to recognise cold-forged iron as a damage type.

@Joe813210 - as LordEntrails suggests, maybe provide an example (with screenshot) of what you're experiencing.

Zacchaeus
May 26th, 2017, 19:04
There is code within the 5E ruleset setup to recognise cold-forged iron as a damage type.

@Joe813210 - as LordEntrails suggests, maybe provide an example (with screenshot) of what you're experiencing.

Well blow me so there is, and it works too.

Joe813210
June 1st, 2017, 05:52
I kept at it - thanks for confirming it should work Trenloe & Zacchaeus. Why it took me so long, I don't know. It needs to read just as adamantine but just substitute cold-forged iron "that aren't cold-forged iron" to have the CT recognize the correct resistance/immunity.

Now then on weapon attacks - an NPC which does damage of "6 (1d4+4) bludgeoning, adamantine damage". If i swap out "adamantine" for "cold-forged iron", the attack is no longer recognized in the CT (nor does it highlight when moused over).

Zacchaeus
June 1st, 2017, 11:04
No indeed, which is why I said that cold-forged iron wasn't something FG understood. So whilst you can create a resistance to it; it's not recognised as a weapon type on an NPCs, action tab. It will apply correctly if the PC has a weapon which does cold-forged iron type but getting an NPC to do that damage is trickier.

You can set up an effect on the PC to resist cold-forged iron. And you can also set up an effect which you can drag onto the NPC once it's on the combat tracker to do cold-forged iron damage but the parser won't pick it up from the actions tab. So the only way I was able to do this was to amend the NPCs normal attack to something like DMG:1 and then add an effect of DMG: 1d6 cold-forged iron onto the NPC. The attack then deals cold-forged iron damage which, if the PC is resistant, will do half damage.

I wonder since cold-forged is in the code that the fact that it's not picked up by the parser is a bug. I'll find out.

Trenloe
June 1st, 2017, 16:50
Yeah, the issue is that both the hyphen and the space in "cold-forged iron" cause the NPC attack recognition code to not recognise the attack.

As a quick example of the process, the attached extension adds a damage type of coldforgediron (all lowercase, no spaces) to the 5E ruleset. Enable this extension and you can use this specific dmgtype name.

Moon Wizard
June 1st, 2017, 17:42
The "cold-forged iron" damage type is a bit tricky to handle, since it's the only multi-word damage type. It was never included in the NPC attack parsing, because none of the published NPCs have that attack damage type, and so it never came up. I'll include in the next patch.

Cheers,
JPG

Joe813210
June 2nd, 2017, 13:55
Wow...Moon Wizard, that's awesome! Unnecessary, given I'm just one dude trying to get a handful of monsters to have that damage type, but completely and utterly appreciated.

Old-DM
June 15th, 2017, 01:13
Hey Joe - I had been trying to get this to recognized myself for some time now. I could not figure it out so I moved on to a different project. I should known to have just asked the talented people on this forum for help. I deserve one giant DUH. Thanks to Trenloe and everyone else for the workaround, count me as a fan.

p.s. Next time I will put the problem to the talent pool in the forum.