PDA

View Full Version : LF2P: Savage Worlds (Lankhmar, City of Thieves)

Dr.Klahn
May 24th, 2017, 20:24
I'm looking for two more players for a Savage Worlds game starting on June 3rd (https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20170603T2330). We plan on keeping the same start time on a weekly basis, if possible, and to get a 3-4 hour session of playtime in for those games. All involved thus far are new to the Savage Worlds system (including myself) so no previous experience with the ruleset is required. I have an ultimate license for Fantasy Grounds, so only the free client would be needed to participate.

We will be using Teamspeak for voice communication and I'll be sharing that information via private messages to our players prior to the initial session. The plan for that will be a meet and greet, along with character creation in Fantasy Grounds, followed by a sample combat, maybe a sample chase, and then an introduction to the campaign environment. The last part can lead into the first adventure scenario, assuming we have enough time left and that people are all OK with starting at that point.

Feel free to reply in this post and, depending on how many are interested, I can respond with a PM from my forum account to those that seem like a good fit.

ChadHale
May 24th, 2017, 23:46
Sign me up!

Dr.Klahn
May 25th, 2017, 00:39
Good to have you aboard ChadHale! We just need one more person in order to have a group of four, which is what I was hoping to start with...

keyroll
May 25th, 2017, 02:02
I am intrested too! Been meaning to try SW!

JSpade85
May 25th, 2017, 02:14
Not sure if I'm too late, but I am very interested too!

Dr.Klahn
May 25th, 2017, 03:31
Hello keyroll, looks like you've rounded out our four person group! Besides yourself and ChadHale, the other two members are:
donpaulo (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?18704-donpaulo)
Ramza0Tyr (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?4692-Ramza0Tyr)

I'll be sending an FG server alias for the Lankhmar campaign, along with the Teamspeak channel data, on June 1rst (two days prior to the first session) in private messages to all of you. As a reminder, that date and time can be found in my first post message, link reproduced here for your convenience: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20170603T2330

JSpade85 - if we get people dropping from our sessions for any reason I'll definitely keep you in mind. Being new to the system myself I'd like to keep the group at four, at least until I feel I've gotten a good handle on things.

If any of you would like to discuss your ideas for characters prior to the first session, please feel free to do so in this post or via private messages as you prefer.

KeoughDarklance
May 25th, 2017, 03:41
I'm up for it? (wasn't sure which post you wanted me to reply in)

Dr.Klahn
May 25th, 2017, 03:48
I'm sorry KeoughDarklance; since ChadHale and keyroll replied here first they've got the two open spots I was hoping to fill for our first session. Hopefully the group will be staying together for many sessions after that but, if people drop from those sessions for any reason, JSpade85 and yourself would be welcome to join (assuming you are both still available in that instance).

donpaulo
May 25th, 2017, 03:54
looking forward to it.
Just for clarification we are talking JUNE not July right ?

KeoughDarklance
May 25th, 2017, 03:55
I'm sorry KeoughDarklance; since ChadHale and keyroll replied here first they've got the two open spots I was hoping to fill for our first session. Hopefully the group will be staying together for many sessions after that but, if people drop from those sessions for any reason, JSpade85 and yourself would be welcome to join (assuming you are both still available in that instance).

No thanks, I don't appreciate being jerked around. I PMed you telling you I would like to join before anyone had replied to this post. Then you messaged me with:

Great, can you reply in the post? That way I can go ahead and change the title to [Filled] and my other players will be able to see both yourself and ChadHale have applied.

So I did and you tell me no the slots are filled. If you didn't have slots open then why mess with me?

Dr.Klahn
May 25th, 2017, 04:10
KeoughDarklance at the time I replied to you only ChadHale had posted here. I understand your feelings, though I thought my instructions in the first post were clear, perhaps I could have done a better job.

Yes donpaulo, June 1rst, sorry! Post edited to reflect the correct date for sending the FG alias and the Teamspeak information.

donpaulo
May 25th, 2017, 04:13
I think its best to try and play up the flaws in the characters. After all SW is so deadly that we should have fun with it. Don't invest too much time in making your toon as it could very easily die, rather think about who you are and what your motivations are.

For example given the background of the event my character will go with the easy "greedy" option, but perhaps also being a spend thrift. Camping rather than paying for a bed in the Inn. He won't be happy until he has so much wealth that he cannot move it all. Until then its all about acquiring more of it. I also enjoy playing with the obese flaw/hindrance. So my toon will be slow but powerful thus probably making him more a fighter type yet in his mind he is well honed lock picking machine and so will be very good with his hands perhaps to the detriment of his ability to dish out damage. Think of him as a soft meat wall, hopefully he can soak damage but just doesn't dish out much.

Dr.Klahn
May 25th, 2017, 04:19
Sounds like a fun character concept donpaulo, also you are right about SW being fairly deadly - so far my playtesting with a friend to mess around with learning the system mechanics has shown some light on that. The Bennies that characters have can be instrumental in helping to keep them alive with Soak rolls, but maybe only if you have a good Vigor trait test result...

ChadHale
May 25th, 2017, 07:40
KeoughDarklance,

Wait, I am already a part of the Pathfinder game here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38409-Hells-Rebels-Pathfinder-AP-looking-for-players
as sharing is caring, I will cede my invite to you...
If the G.M. allows it.
like Dr.Klahn said, "if anyone drops out. you get an invite."
as always, people be cool.

Chad Hale

*My character for Savage worlds
Race: human. male. 23. 5'11"/184 lbs.
Stats: ______Derived Stats______ ________Skillz_______________
Ag d8______ Cha: 0 ___________________1. climbing: d6+2
Sm d6______Tuf: 5 ___________________2. fighting: d8
Sp d6_______Par: 6 ___________________3. lock picking: d8+2
ST d6_______Pace: 6 (+d6 running)______4. notice: d6+2
VG d6_______________________________5. stealth: d8+2
____________________________________6. Swim: d6

________Edges_________ ___Hindrances________________
Human: alertness__________ Code of honor (major) I tend to treat my allies as my own brother or sister. I will strive to protect persons whom I know or believe to be good or innocent from harm. (this code includes "loyalty").
Novice: danger sense_______Heroic (Major) while a given for some games, this character will risk all to make things right. Others see this as youthful Naivety and absolutely dangerous for a "rogue"...
Hinder: Thief______________Delusion (minor) believes himself to be some sort of "psychic", most likely a seer.
_________________________D&D rogue (minor) this essentially restricts the character to learning how to use +2 armors at the max, and limits fighting skill to benefiting a few weapons (not all) akin to a minor "vow".

(*In regards to hindrances, this character could also have a debt pay, come from poverty and being trained as a rogue, isn't cheap. It is also something of a given that I had to get my gear from somewhere, I stole it. thus, I could already be wanted by a noble, and the thief guild. I may have left them on bad terms, by "getting out". I could have ENEMIES (nobles, thief guild, town watch, specific rival). I could have a minor phobia or two: decaying corpses, spiders, worms, drowning.

interesting character note: He uses a short sword, held in a reverse grip not a fencing pose. Fighting with the blade is akin to regular brawling. Punches will cause the blade to slash, elbow bashing is slashing, and a hammer fist is an outright stab. this fighting style likes to get inside the opponents weapon swings to strike with the feet, knees, fists, elbows, and the rare headbutt.

Basic story: Boy likes girl, girl doesn't know boy exists, boy afraid she will not be happy if he does try to approach her. A brute beats down girl and is dragging girl to a stable to be ravished. Boy stands up to fight for her honor. Brute waffle stomps a new mudhole in boy. Brute returns to the girl, while the boy finds strength to stand. Brute is delighted to hand out another thrashing. Brute charges the boy. Boy has blade...
Brute is run through and dead. Boy is a bloody mess. Girl is freaked out and flees. Town watch arrive, charge boy with murder. Boy flees from justice into exile, with a broken heart and a painful longing for the girl who will never love him. Thieves guild learns of what happened. All of this violates many sacred rules: bringing the guild to the watch's attention, the murder of a noble (knight's squire), the boy has stolen equipment from the guild and leaves debts unpaid. The watch, the noble family, the knight, and the boy's rival: they all want the boy captured, tried, and brought to justice.

ChadHale
May 25th, 2017, 10:14
Wait a minute, donpaulo wants to be an obese warrior/rogue? well I won't stand in his way!

Alternate character #1
Race: human. female. 27. 5'2"/124 lbs.
Stats: ______Derived Stats______ ________Skillz_______________
Ag d8______ Cha: 0 ___________________1. climb: d6
Sm d6______Tuf: 5 ___________________2. fight: d10 (with katana gain +1)
Sp d6_______Par: 7___________________3. intim: d6+2
ST d6_______Pace: 6 (+d6 running)______4. notice: d6
VG d6_______________________________5. Swim: d6
____________________________________6. Taunt: d6+2

________Edges_________ ____________________Hindrances________________
Human: Trademark weapon (katana)_____ Code of honor (major) I am a warrior, uninterested in fights that are beneath my skill. I will not strike down foes who can not face me in combat. A foe who flees is wise.
Novice: Strong willed___________________Bad Eyes (minor) Blinded in her youth, a monk trained her in the art of the sightless warrior. Treat as having "glasses".
Hinder: Brave________________________ Illiterate (minor) She never learned to read or write. now that she's blind she never will.

Dr.Klahn
May 25th, 2017, 13:04
Nice offer on your part ChadHale, but going by the order of replies in this post I think JSpade85 would be next in line if you weren't going to play. Besides, I get the feeling that KeoughDarklance may be personally upset with me and therefore might decline in any case...

In regard to detailing your character, it's great to discuss concepts, backgrounds, and so on. In relation to scores and other mechanics - that's fine too and, since we'll be using FG to manage all that stuff in our first session, any unintentional mistakes made in postings should be corrected at that point.

zack2488
May 25th, 2017, 22:43
Hey if you had one spot open up I would love to play I am in love with thr setting I used to play the ad&d version let me know!

Dr.Klahn
May 26th, 2017, 01:36
Sounds good zack2488. Currently I think JSpade85 and yourself have expressed interest so, if and when we have spots open up, I'll try to contact you both in that order.

ChadHale
May 26th, 2017, 15:38
All character ideas are using the "born a hero" rule. allowing the purchase of any edge regardless of tier (no, not legendary) during character creation only.
All requirements must be met

An elven ranger?
race elf d8 agility
bump smarts to d8
edge: woodsman

Perhaps an Amazon...
Edges: Brawny, attractive.

Perhaps a defensive style blade master
Hindrances
major code of honor
Minor pacifist
minor select one
edges
counter attack
improved counter attack

perhaps a two weapon style master
ambidextrous
two fisted

A massive two hander warlord
sweep
more strength

or a kensai (extremely focused master of one weapon)
trademark weapon
improved trademark weapon

or a fencing master
block
improved block
rapier

or an accrobat
accrobatic

A student of "The jester's blade style"
strong willed
fling insults and threats to engage in tests of will!

there are so many possible combinations of edges that can resemble a unique fighting style, define a heroic archetype, even roles within an adventuring group!

Dr.Klahn
May 26th, 2017, 16:37
ChadHale, the Lankhmar setting I am planning to use doesn't support the "born a hero" rule. Also, the race options I sent a message about include various Human cultural backgrounds, the 'normal' Human race choice, Newhon Gouls, and Newhon Ratlings (no elves or other fantasy races though).

I should have read your post more thoroughly the first time (sorry), but I guess you're theorycrafting for some character ideas that could be possible in other settings?

Talyn
May 26th, 2017, 19:02
I look forward to hearing about your Lankhmar adventures!

Also, FYI once the v4.4 ruleset goes to live Lankhmar NPCs will be updated to support the new layout.

keyroll
May 27th, 2017, 01:53
Wao, I am at a lost, looking forward to our first sitdown, to see what are the options available to us for PC creation.

ChadHale
May 27th, 2017, 04:49
I got a copy of the Savage worlds: Lankhmar - city of thieves.
I am reading it from cover to cover. All I have to say is,
"ugh, like totally gag me with a D'zzt doUrden"...
I can't stand "Playing second fiddle to a bunch of uber powerful NPC's who can do no wrong."
it makes player characters insignificant, and I find myself wondering why I have been given a quest by someone who can solo it without breaking a sweat.

as to races: Humans: are divided into a few specific cultures.
Lankhmart (*i.e. Locals of the score thousand smokes city), get Alertness, and jaded "ignore 2 fear points"
Kelshite, tend to be smaller bodied, darker complexion, folk from the southern jungles. fast:+2 pace, and get the quick edge.
Note (*aka trigger warning for idiots who don't realize this is a role playing game): This is set in the distant past - sexism, racism, and other uncool wrongness exists.
Kelshites tend to be around lankhmar because they are or were slaves...
Mingol, desert nomads or sailing pirates, from the far east. Mingol get a +2 on (choose one, boating or ridding), their honed sense of balance grants them the steady hands edge.
Northerners, a nordic folk from the north. Stature: +1 size which grants a +1 toughness. they are also wild folk, who get a +2 on survival.
and yes NORMAL HUMANS with one minor difference: they also get one extra skill point. oh, and the bonus edge, as normal.

then there are Nehwon Ghouls:a "race" who has mostly transparent flesh, they can only eat meat (preferably human and... fresh) they get a +2 on intimidate rolls, and a -4 charisma which is reduced to -2 if covered in clothing, or completely removed if who they are speaking with can't see them... alternately, when mostly nekkid they gain a +2 parry. In my opinion though, ewwwwwww.

then the ratlings which are a hybrid of humans and large sentient rats living in "The Below". Player Ratlings can pass as human and are advised to, as ratlings are not welcome in more refined "society". as a mix, non-player ratlings carry some form of obvious stigma of their heritage. mouse predators can always Identify a ratling. Cats hate ratlings. Ratlings start with d6 agility, low light vision, they also get a +2 knowledge:navigation, and a +2 bonus on chase checks. Pariah: if a ratling's true heritage is discovered by a Lankhmar citizen, that person will regard the ratling as having -4 charisma. once publicly known, everyone will look at you as having -4 charisma.

A note on charisma: it is not entirely about physical beauty. gravitas, chutzpah, verve', persona, witt and charm along with reputations, social graces, celebrity, political power, wealth, and more all blend in to contribute.
... 0 charisma is the norm and can be said to represent people in the D&D range of 9 to 12 charisma. +2 is akin to 13-15. a +4 is akin to 16 to 19 charisma. obviously, the greater sway you have on others has benefits and not-so-benefits.
now, a -2 is a person with the opposite of the above. this -2 hurts as it means people are offended by you. They won't like you and may be on the verge of fighting with you!
A -4 charisma, implies that the character's mere presence provokes everyone around you to the edge of murdering you. the lesson? charisma has very real consequences.

if you were beat with an ugly stick, that's something that people can learn to forgive. it takes a lot of work on your behalf to give people a reason to learn to forgive your short comings.

...on the other hand, if you were passed around to be violated by the entire Forrest of ugly...

ChadHale
May 27th, 2017, 05:05
Prohibited Edges: Arcane Backgrounds
(core), Martial Artist, McGyver, Power
Points, Power Surge, Rapid Recharge,
Rock and Roll!, Soul Drain, as well as any
Edges that have a prohibited Edge as a
requirement.

Arcane Backgrounds
Characters may only take the Arcane
Background Edge once (regardless of the
type chosen), and he may only choose from
those detailed in Sorcery (see page 27).
Listed below is a brief overview about each
type of Arcane Background and enough
information to decide if you’re interested
in reading more.
• Black Magic: Black magic is the most
common form of wizardry. Black Magic
focuses on direct power, attacking foes,
manipulating the very forces of physics.
• Elemental Magic: Falling outside the
normal range of white and black magic,
elemental magic is practiced by a few
and harnesses the natural elements
• White Magic: Considered less sinister
than black magic, white magic strives
for harmony and focuses more on
healing and restoration.

So, if you want to be an alchemist, a Seer, a bard, a druid and so on...
The answer is, make it fit in the above restrictions.
regardless of what you like to think of yourself, you will be defined by one of the allowed categories.

donpaulo
May 27th, 2017, 05:50
ok here is my first attempt
Roger is Human Fighter who imagines himself a thief which is why he hangs out with them. Because of his size and ability to attract attention many a rogue has chosen him as their sidekick, but Roger is tired of being 2nd fiddle. He has made quite a lot of money which he has either spent or lost in a game of chance, after all he isn't very smart.

His Hindrances are Greedy, Obese and Ugly
His Edges are Fast Healer and Rich
I felt being rich and greedy makes for a nice role playing aspect

Agility d6
Smarts d4
Spirit d6
Strength d8
Vigor d8

Skills are
Fighting d10
Intimidation & Notice d6
Gambling, Healing, Lockpicking & Streetwise d4

Charisma -2
Pace 5 (d4 running die)
Parry 7
Toughness 10 (3)
Encumbrance 35 (Load Limit 40)
Cash $25

He carries a very nice Katana which he spent most of his money on, platemail +3 and a pot helmet +3. When it comes to combat he spares no coin and always wants the best available.
He also values the other members of his party which is why he is trained in healing. Often slow on the uptake, he is not stupid just not the brightest bulb in the shop.
He will attempt to claim more than his fair share which is why many a rogue has moved on from his antics. His intimidation, size and greed makes for a nasty companion when dividing loot.
He is modeled slightly on a mix of pro wrestler/Trump theme, but deep down his heart is good and he will not fight or try to hurt his party members.

From the list above he will be a northerner which is +1 size, +1 toughness & +2 survival

Dr.Klahn
May 27th, 2017, 17:36
Good character concept donpaulo - I like that he has his obvious flaws as well as his strengths (having money for superior equipment can certainly be a big help)!

FYI ChadHale let me know that he's withdrawn from the game. I think he found the setting (and perhaps the GM?) to be too restrictive for his taste. I understand that Lankhmar is a low-fantasy setting, though in this case that is by design. Given I'm just starting out attempting to run SW, I wanted something fairly simple and 'vanilla' to begin with (more of a 'Conan' world vibe than a 'Forgotten Realms' one). I hope he finds a better fit for what he's looking for.

While we're on the subject though, if any of you are unsure about the proposed game based on what's been in the posts, or for any other reason, there's no harm and no foul on my end if you'd like to look elsewhere for a SW game that suits your preferences better. If that is the case just let me know - thanks!

ChadHale
May 28th, 2017, 00:14
I have expressed my opinion. I chafed under too much restriction, and the inability to pursue my own path.

Overdawg
May 31st, 2017, 15:34
Chad...Lankhmar is definitely a dark setting but in any system you are always going to be playing second fiddle to any powers that be as you are typically starting out at lower levels. While I dont agree with your opinions you are welcome to express them as long as others who wish to play in this world take them as one person's opinion and not what most players out there think. EVERY game setting has NPCs that are movers and shakers in the world and it helps to shape the world. The goal of every gamer I know of is to rise in power and become one of those movers and shakers. You start out at low level and mostly insignificant in most games so I feel you are in a world of disappointment as you search for games to play but I wish you the best of luck. Either way I just wanted to make sure the other applicants take this into consideration. I have played this setting with Savage Worlds and its an absolute blast.

keyroll
May 31st, 2017, 19:41
well, im exited!, we start this saturday right?

donpaulo
June 1st, 2017, 05:16
I hope so Keyroll

goodmanje
June 1st, 2017, 20:49
If anyone drops out let me know. I'm interested. I'm familiar with both SW and FG.

Thanks.

Talyn
June 3rd, 2017, 20:51
Also, I'll go ahead and apologize for any upcoming inconveniences with the setting. I'm in the middle of updating it for v4.4 of the ruleset and in doing so, have changed the database id's for all the Powers to match what is now standard practice. It'll probably be middle of next week or so when the patch goes live. If you get errors, delete the old Power off your character sheet then re-drag it back.

JSpade85
June 9th, 2017, 02:22
To those are are playing - what type of character are you making? I know what donpaulo is looking at, what about the rest?

donpaulo
June 9th, 2017, 02:36
Unfortunately my toon died in the first adventure.
I will be making a "thiefy" character next

JSpade85
June 24th, 2017, 23:51
Hey gang - we're still good for tonight correct?