PDA

View Full Version : Running multiple instances simultaneously

tdewitt274
May 24th, 2017, 04:19
Hello,

Is it possible to run two different licenses at the same time? Each time I run the program (from different install directories), it populates the most recent license that was entered for either executable.

I have 2 Full and an Ultimate license and want to run a Full and Ultimate for converting campaigns from one game system to another.

Thanks!

Todd

Nylanfs
May 24th, 2017, 12:26
On the same machine no, but you can connect to an existing game using Localhost as the IP address to get a player view. Why not export out your campaign info as a module and then editing it to work under your system?

LordEntrails
May 24th, 2017, 13:43
On the same computer you can launch 2 or more instances using the same license. You don't have to use localhost as you will get another gm instance. As long as you are not accessing the same campaign, you can have multiple campaigns open as a vm. I do this on a regard basis.

But, as hinted at, there might be better ways depending upon why you want to do this

Trenloe
May 24th, 2017, 14:55
There are various restrictions and options, let us know what you're trying to do tdewitt274

Trenloe
May 24th, 2017, 14:57
On the same computer you can launch 2 or more instances using the same license.
To expands on this... It's possible to have multiple GM instances open on the same computer - for dev/prep sessions. Without messing around with command line arguments to change ports, you should only ever have one GM instance running if you're GMing a game and accepting connections from players.

tdewitt274
May 24th, 2017, 18:00
I did some messing around with the suggestions and it's working for me. Thanks!

For background purposes...

What I'm trying to do is create two create two versions of the same adventure (one for a 3e group, the other for 5e). As the NPCs, Encounters, and other items are not the same structure, I can't copy the campaign directly over directly (although, I could delete the tings that don't "match"). I am not using these to run individual games, just for development purposes.

I have FG installed twice on my PC ("Fantasy Grounds" and "Fantasy Grounds Full" respectively. When opening the program (desktop or executable), the program is "stuck" using the license that was last input. Since the settings are "stuck" using the prior AppData directory (I'm assuming it's using the registry to populate the "Settings" updater), I'm unable to create the segregated campaign. Opening the separate campaigns works fine under the same license.

However, this is not my original intention. I was intending to use the Full license to develop campaigns and the Ultimate license to run them, as well as a little development work. This makes things cleaner as there are only a few entries on the Full license AppData directory. My question is, if I modify the Settings to populate off the "Fantasy Grounds Full" AppData folder, is there any way to keep this static? That way I can double click a desktop icon to enter into the other "dev" mode.

Thanks!

Trenloe
May 24th, 2017, 18:34
My strong recommendation is to *not* have two installs - you will have issues with updates, etc. now and over time.

There's really no need to have full and ultimate licenses on the same computer, with two different installations. There's no difference, from a dev/prep perspective, the data is stored on your local computer, it isn't tagged as Full or Ultimate, it's just a set of data that you load up in FG.

Just have a single installation, with your ultimate license. If you need to run two GM instances at once, for dev/prep only, then just launch another instance of the same install - info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36957-Playing-At-Home-Including-Fantasy-Grounds&p=323935&viewfull=1#post323935