PDA

View Full Version : BESM character sheet

Gordon228
May 19th, 2017, 08:27
Hello i am working on a character sheet/rule set for the Big eyes small mouth rpg system or BESM for short but i am having great difficulty in making the character sheet. the main problem i am having at the moment is with the bounds string line and how it works as there is no documentation on it it's the most frustrating thing. the attached image is what it will eventually look like minus a few things and at half scale to what you see there.

any help would be greatful.

Trenloe
May 19th, 2017, 15:57
Welcome to the forums Gordon228

There is documentation on bounds - see here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/windowing.xcp and also some info in the windowclass entry in the ruleset reference: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/windowcontrol.xcp

This post links to areas to look at: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20651-Modifying-the-CoreRPG-ruleset

Gordon228
May 19th, 2017, 18:05
thanks for the info but now i have a problem as you see here i cannot add anything to the lighter orange box nor is the text showing up in the darker one that should be there. what am i doing wrong?

<frame_char name="sexframe2">
<frame name="ci1"/>
<bounds>324,64,56,14</bounds>
</frame_char>
<label_frametop>
<anchored to="sexframe2" />
<static textres="char_label_gender" />
</label_frametop>
<frame_char name="sexframe">
<frame name="ci2"/>
<bounds>324,77,92,18</bounds>
</frame_char>
<string_labeled name="gender">
<anchored to="sexframe" position="insidetopleft" offset="5,25" width="70" />
<labelres>char_label_none</labelres>
</string_labeled>
</sheetdata>

this is the code that governs the 2 orange boxes.

Trenloe
May 20th, 2017, 01:14
I take it you've defined your string resources and are loading the XML file they're defined in?

Open the debug console by typing /console in the chat window before you load the window for the first time. It may give you some warning messages to give you a clue.

Gordon228
May 20th, 2017, 02:57
remove this.

Gordon228
May 20th, 2017, 02:59
no warning messages at all. in fact when i did have problems that i was testing to get said problems the console open up telling me that there was problems. now would it be easyer to complete the layout of the character sheet and then fix any problems or fix the problems now?

just had the console open wile loading the rule set and i get errors Network Notice: Local session started
Ruleset Warning: framedef: Left edge height (2) of frame (mini_name) less than minimum suggested height (3)
Ruleset Warning: framedef: Right edge height (2) of frame (mini_name) less than minimum suggested height (3)
Ruleset Warning: framedef: Middle height (2) of frame (mini_name) less than minimum suggested height (3)

Trenloe
May 20th, 2017, 02:59
now would it be easyer to complete the layout of the character sheet and then fix any problems or fix the problems now?
Fix problems now - otherwise it gets more complex later.

Gordon228
May 20th, 2017, 03:04
Ruleset Warning: framedef: Left edge height (2) of frame (mini_name) less than minimum suggested height (3)
Ruleset Warning: framedef: Right edge height (2) of frame (mini_name) less than minimum suggested height (3)
Ruleset Warning: framedef: Middle height (2) of frame (mini_name) less than minimum suggested height (3)

what dose this mean?

Trenloe
May 20th, 2017, 03:07
It means that the frame "mini_name" left edge, right edge and middle components have a height of 2, with the minimum suggested height being 3. It's just a warning, if the frame is displaying OK, then you can ignore it.

Refer to Frames here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/resources.xcp and here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/framedef.xcp

Gordon228
May 20th, 2017, 03:28
well if you look at my first post image and the image i posted in FG you can see it's not displaying correctly as it's also not displaying anything.

Gordon228
May 20th, 2017, 03:29
but it dose have the frames. hmmmm.... would going 75% of the first image size be too big?

Trenloe
May 20th, 2017, 03:38
well if you look at my first post image and the image i posted in FG you can see it's not displaying correctly as it's also not displaying anything.
I'm sorry, but the very small snippet of code did not contain that frame "mini_name" so I honestly had no idea where you're using it. As the warning came up during ruleset load it could be anywhere. It's very hard to do any debugging or provide accurate assistance when very little code is provided - it ends up being guesswork.

Is the frame "mini_name" being used anywhere on your custom character sheet? If not, then don't worry about it for now, as it's not impacting what you're looking at.

Gordon228
May 20th, 2017, 03:43
i agree and i am modding the core rpg if that helps and i have also included all the files minus the gfx as that is too big for the forms

Trenloe
May 20th, 2017, 04:10
OK, so... you're going to have to spend some time familiarising yourself with the templates that you're using. For example <label_frametop> is a template that uses another template <label> - which is a stringcontrol (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/stringcontrol.xcp) which is not a template, it's a base FG element, so this is where the cascading template ends.

The <label> template is defined with a height of 20 pixels. And the <label_frametop> template is offset 10 pixels down. So, this control would occupy 10-30 pixels down from the top anchor.

You <label_frametop> gets is size from <frame_char name="sexframe2"> which is 14 pixels in height - but the label is trying to appear between pixels 10-30, but it only has 1-14 available to view. No wonder the label text isn't showing.

You can override the template anchors within the <label_frametop> entry in record_char_main.xml like you've done with the <string_labeled name="gender"> control just below.

Gordon228
May 20th, 2017, 11:33
so i half get what your saying but how do i fix the graphical errors i am seeing? would fixing 1 thing solve all my problems? or is there more bug fixing. would i use the position Definition or something else to fix the text?

sorry for all the questions i am new to this but can under stand quickly and can put thos to use so long as i have a reference point.

Trenloe
May 20th, 2017, 14:47
so i half get what your saying but how do i fix the graphical errors i am seeing?
Are these "errors" the warnings you've mentioned before? If so, they are not errors, they are warnings - which are different to errors. Errors actually break something, whereas warnings are you letting you know that something isn't broken but it's outside of the usual recommended bounds/process. See my previous answers in posts #9 and #12.

would fixing 1 thing solve all my problems?
I very much doubt it, as it's a warning. Is the frame "mini_name" being used anywhere on your custom character sheet? Use "find in files" within your text editor and search your whole ruleset directory for mini_name - see where it is used and if it's not used in your character sheet then don't worry about it for now.

would i use the position Definition or something else to fix the text?
Start with one thing at a time. See post #14 for what you should be doing to start fixing the <label_frametop> text issue.

For <string_labeled name="gender"> you shouldn't be using this template - it is for labels, not for entering text. Have a look at some of the string templates in common\templates_common.xml that use a stringfield (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/stringfield.xcp) control - maybe start with "basicstring". So <string_labeled name="gender"> would be <basicstring name="gender">

Gordon228
May 20th, 2017, 17:55
i will try but most of what i see/get is done in the core rpg if that is wrong then it needs to be fixed but for what i am doing with it might be something the core rpg system is not meant to Handel. i will get this working some way and having it look right.

Trenloe
May 20th, 2017, 18:03
i will try but most of what i see/get is done in the core rpg if that is wrong then it needs to be fixed but for what i am doing with it might be something the core rpg system is not meant to Handel.
There is nothing wrong with CoreRPG for what you are trying to do. The issue is that you are using the wrong CoreRPG templates for the size of control or the function of the control.

I've made quite a few suggestions above on how to do with within CoreRPG. If you're planning on making a custom character sheet - and then, I'm guessing you'll have to do some code to make the character sheet work, then I'm afraid you're going to *have* to take some time to read the links I've sent, understand the posts I've made above, and take time to look at similar layouts in the FG rulesets and use the appropriate controls/templates. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be nasty, this is simply a fact of doing FG customization - it's not quick and simple.

If you're not willing to spend all of this time (and it'll be many hours), then I suggest you look at using MoreCore (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset)to at least get the data into a character sheet - it won't have the layout you're looking for, but it will save you a *lot* of time and allow you to get playing.

Gordon228
May 20th, 2017, 18:42
no no i understand what your saying and will be getting it all working but one thing at a time like you have been suggesting. i will post an update to my progress once i have some.

Edit: you pointed me in the right direction so i was able to fix the problem. now i still have one looming problem and that is the frames them selves not showing up correctly then the field where you enter stuff in but thats a minor annoyance at this point.

Gordon228
May 20th, 2017, 19:02
i was even able to fix the field that needed to be entered witch is fantastic. when someone points me into the right direction i can figure stuff out and so now i can complete part of the sheet. yay and thanks but the green part of the sheet and the name field are going to be hard but i will take the name field on my own if i can.

Trenloe
May 20th, 2017, 19:13
Nice one. :)

Gordon228
May 20th, 2017, 19:14
it appers that frames can be minimum of 19 pixels to display properly. this is what i have found and if there is a way to change that great.

Edit: I plan on making all the orange boxes look as best as they can and I think I may need a transparent boarder around the images to get it to display right. What you think?

Edit 2: found an imperfect solution to my problem and it works.

Edit 3: uploaded a pic to show progress. what you think?

Gordon228
May 21st, 2017, 18:53
now i have a problem and i know it's not in any rule sets to date and that is having current score times 10. with the BESM rule set every stat point cost 10 character points. what math code would i need and where can i find it? there is more issues at hand but this is the immediate problem. sorry for the double post. :)